Have the Koreans ever committed notable atrocities?

if you have China as it has been since at least Mao Zedong on one hand, and Imperial Japan on the other during WW2, which was the devil in human form, you always hear about Korea just being the beaten underdog victimized by both sides.

Up until the split though, and even then NK is in their own world, have the Koreans done anything particularly evil that's worth mentioning? Besides the victim notion, they're seen as pretty alright people most of the time in stereotypical terms.

Like you never ever hear about Korea and evil atrocities unless you look up for things that aren't really different from the average nation's past. Most of them just concern NK in stereotypical ways.

7+ Year Old Account
    Are you specifically talking about a Korean state atrocity or anything atrocious that has happened on their soil through-out history or modern history?

We shouldn't generalize groups of people based on the bad behaviours of some people. Some Koreans have done atrocious things, most have not. That's true for all countries, doesn't matter if you're talking about Americans, Russians, Koreans, etc.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-07-26 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Are you specifically talking about a Korean state atrocity or anything atrocious that has happened on their soil through-out history or modern history?

We shouldn't generalize groups of people based on the bad behaviours of some people. Some Koreans have done atrocious things, most have not. That's true for all countries, doesn't matter if you're talking about Americans, Russians, Koreans, etc.
    yeah state atrocity or war crime, either one.

But if most haven't, then it's not really worth mentioning since it would mean Korea is pretty inoffensive overall. I would definitely say "most" when it concerns Americans, Russians, and JP during the past though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    yeah state atrocity or war crime, either one.

But if most haven't, then it's not really worth mentioning since it would mean Korea is pretty inoffensive overall. I would definitely say "most" when it concerns Americans, Russians, and JP during the past though.
    I’m going to guess the Korean War wasn’t a time of butterflies and sunshine in their history.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yea...don't even have to go back far. Plenty of scary shit just on the prior handful of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    yea kpop mate
    Take my money.

yea kpop mate
    I wanted to link Korean War crap, but you just won this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

ROK special forces were involved in the Vietnam war, and they were apparently pretty brutal.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea kpop mate
    You are a brave man for waving that red cape in front of the stans, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excessively effeminate men. Or was that Japan?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Excessively effeminate men. Or was that Japan?
    if your talking about what I think you are, Philippines I think
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    if your talking about what I think you are, Philippines I think
    Forgive me, but what exactly are ya'll talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Forgive me, but what exactly are ya'll talking about?
    apparently, something infractable as trolling
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The main thing is be very careful of revisionist history that tries to stretch the truth to make a moral equivalence. For example saying X country did this, so it's ok that Y country did that. Or for a specific example, Japan occupied Korea for about 50 years in the early 1900s and abused the Korean people horribly during that time. But someone pro-Japan will find an example of Korea doing something bad and will say, see both did bad things. But Japan's actions were on a different level and not really comparable to what Korea endured for decades. So it's a slippery slope to go down.

15+ Year Old Account
    yea kpop mate
    HAHAHAH so true
    It is The Final Solution to eardrums.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-07-28 at 12:30 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    The main thing is be very careful of revisionist history that tries to stretch the truth to make a moral equivalence. For example saying X country did this, so it's ok that Y country did that. Or for a specific example, Japan occupied Korea for about 50 years in the early 1900s and abused the Korean people horribly during that time. But someone pro-Japan will find an example of Korea doing something bad and will say, see both did bad things. But Japan's actions were on a different level and not really comparable to what Korea endured for decades. So it's a slippery slope to go down.
    Im not really sure why Japanese war crimes against Koreans are relevant to the (south-)Korean war crimes against other Koreans.