Page 41 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    The politics of the real world are, as mentioned, already there. In lots of ways, and they always have been. If nothing else just from the cultural standpoint of the creators. JRR Tolkeins work was according to him absolutely not alegorical in any way. It is however political as hell and shows its hand to extreme amounts around the upbringing and education the man had had.

But this is a side-track that's neither here nor there.
    You just entered this thread with a "I hope all this disgusting behavior don't affect my experiences. I don't want to be inconvinienced! But yes, it is disgusting behavior. Still, nothing about it at Blizzcon! FOCUS ON THE GAMES!"
    Yeah that more or less sums up my orginal point nicely.

Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Yeah that more or less sums up my orginal point nicely.
    So, in actuallity. What your stance is that you've got no issues what so ever happens at any company as long as it doesn't affect you.
    Own up to that. Because that is your position.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    He's right. And it's hardly as if Blizzard has been running like a well-oiled machine for years now. We've had pretty extensive reporting on the internal chaos and disarray well before this lawsuit came out.

And really, if people are complaining that they'll have to wait longer for the second patch after the already extremely long wait for the first patch, in light of the recent lawsuit like...get some damned perspective. Quit for a month or two and come back when the patch is out.

really wish a certain thread where people actually did this was still open to shove some noses into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He's right. And it's hardly as if Blizzard has been running like a well-oiled machine for years now. We've had pretty extensive reporting on the internal chaos and disarray well before this lawsuit came out.

And really, if people are complaining that they'll have to wait longer for the second patch after the already extremely long wait for the first patch, in light of the recent lawsuit like...get some damned perspective. Quit for a month or two and come back when the patch is out.
    he has a slight point but he is coming off as an asshole by blaming us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    really wish a certain thread where people actually did this was still open to shove some noses into it.
    asking is about a delay is fine to me but when it moves into something else its not.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    He really isn't, since Blizzard's fans are also part of the culture causing problems.

It's kind of deserved, especially when - again - the first response to this sort of thing being "but how will impact my enjoyment of my video games" is cunty in the extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Kinda not really? I mean, he's completely correct. And he's not blaming "you" (it's the royal you, not the specific you) for the problems within Blizzard, but for contributing to that kind of culture by not caring about the well being of the people who make your games. You want to have happy, well taken care of developers. They make better games, and making sure employees are treated well is a good thing in general.

It's functionally an extension of the criticism against people that harass developers because they made a decision players didn't like or there's a bug they haven't fixed yet.

If you think he's blaming "you" (the specific you), that's a decidedly personal interpretation of his post. And maybe you should re-evaluate your position.

So, in actuallity. What your stance is that you've got no issues what so ever happens at any company as long as it doesn't affect you.
    Own up to that. Because that is your position.
    It is. Much like most people wear clothing and appeal made by slaves.

I don't but that more comes down to my personal view that foreign made clothing is usually of low quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    For once...

They are shoe horned in constantly in insultingly transparent pandering. There is actually a character in mr. Robot with three line one of them being " by the way I'm gay".

It's just more burnt out attrition. If you want a gay character fine... then actually make a gay character don't just suddenly put one in to pander or to distract from a controversy like they did with overwatch. Also have the ideals to keep that characters sexuality intact in international versions.

I'm tired of seeing shoe horned in pointless characters that are made that way to be easily edited out. If you wanna go gay go gay if not wont undermine my entertainment for brownie points.
    And this is bullshit homophobia, and nothing deeper or more complex than that.

You're demanding that LGBT characters justify their need to be LGBT somehow, narratively.

And not having any such expectations for heteronormative characters.

Do you throw the same fit when a male character introduces his girlfriend, throwing his sexuality in your face and pandering to heteronormative views? No? Yeah.

You're demanding that characters be heterosexual as a default, and that any deviation from that has to be "justified", somehow, by the plot. That's just straight-up homophobia. It's literally no different than complaining that a white character is dating a black guy and there isn't a big plot reason to justify miscegenation; that stance would just mean you're wildly racist, not that you have a reasonable viewpoint.

Man, lots of Mr. Gotcha's still all over the place.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can make the choice to not play video games; clothes are kind of necessary.

Once again, ethical consumption not being a thing under capitalism doesn't excuse your chief concern being your own convenience. "Well other people are selfish" is just whataboutism because it doesn't dispute you being selfish or said selfishness being pretty vile.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The politics of the real world are, as mentioned, already there. In lots of ways, and they always have been. If nothing else just from the cultural standpoint of the creators. JRR Tolkeins work was according to him absolutely not alegorical in any way. It is however political as hell and shows its hand to extreme amounts around the upbringing and education the man had had.
    Please: Tolkien. It really annoys me when people don't spell his name correctly; there used to be a poster that had a list of favorite authors that included this and other misspelling in their signature for years.

You are right that his upbringing, education, and even war experience (and post-war, obviously) did influence his work (there are some moments there Sam and Frodo sort of sees how it is in the other trenches; but then realize that they cannot emphasize too much).
    As for allegory - I believe that was also to differentiate him from the Christian allegory in CS Lewis' Narnia.

However, games and books/movies/plays are quite different in terms of story-telling; as people make their own story to a large extent in WoW instead of being fed one. Yes, there's some lore-story in the background - but the focus is much more on the player actions in the game. A person's personality often shines through, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the employees also acted as douches in game; whereas just killing the enemy is ok in war.

Shoehorned and forced? lol Most people aren't threatened by it like this.
    That's like seeing a guy and girl kiss and telling me hetero is being forced on me. Or yea an inter racial couple and telling me it's forced on me.
    These things exist whether you like it or not lol.

Next time I meet someone gay I'll be sure to tell them how they forced it and shoehorned it on to me.
    How they pandered to me yet "If you wanna go gay go gay if not wont undermine my entertainment for brownie points" but here I am still complaining about it paradoxically.

Might as well just say "Your existence is insufferable" no need to mask it with words like woke and the like.

I don't but that more comes down to my personal view that foreign made clothing is usually of low quality.
    Given the law, it is fairly reasonable to assume your clothing is not being made by child or forced labor. If you were to find out that a company was using said labor knowingly and deliberately, and you continued to support them, that would be different.

So yeah, don't try to pretend you've got the high ground here.
    Last edited by Yuujin; 2021-07-26 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    However, games and books/movies/plays are quite different in terms of story-telling; as people make their own story to a large extent in WoW instead of being fed one. Yes, there's some lore-story in the background - but the focus is much more on the player actions in the game. A person's personality often shines through, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the employees also acted as douches in game; whereas just killing the enemy is ok in war.
    And that story exists within the framework and rules decided by....

The creators. It being an interactive form of media does not negate authorial intent or authorial responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "Jokes" made in bad taste generally aren't funny to decent people, yes.

Then again there seems to be this notion that you can say the most vile and hateful shit imaginable but adding "jk" on the end makes it acceptable when... No, it just makes the speaker an ass.
    I didn't realize saying "I don't think you know how jeapardy works" is the most vile and hateful shit imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Should we all cancel our subscription to WoW?
    Abso-fucking-lutely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post

No, I am not! I paid them to make the game better, not so that they could take the money and rape their co-workers! Yet this is what they did! And now claiming that I am responsible for the rapes? The real cunt is them! Each and every one of them! Even the one claiming to be on the side of the victims! Right now what they are doing is diverting the blame and fist-pumping! Fuck them! I hope they all get fired!
    Actually, no. You paid them to access the game, not necessarily to make it better, which as far as I know hasn’t always been the case anyway. Furthermore, no one is claiming you’re a rapist. But demanding they proceed as usual because your stupid fucking game needs content, rather than focusing on the issues at hand does mean you don’t value said issues enough, thus making you part of the problem.

I agree that everyone responsible should not only be fired, but also prosecuted.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And this is bullshit homophobia, and nothing deeper or more complex than that.

You're demanding that LGBT characters justify their need to be LGBT somehow, narratively.

And not having any such expectations for heteronormative characters.

Do you throw the same fit when a male character introduces his girlfriend, throwing his sexuality in your face and pandering to heteronormative views? No? Yeah.

You're demanding that characters be heterosexual as a default, and that any deviation from that has to be "justified", somehow, by the plot. That's just straight-up homophobia. It's literally no different than complaining that a white character is dating a black guy and there isn't a big plot reason to justify miscegenation; that stance would just mean you're wildly racist, not that you have a reasonable viewpoint.
    People expect heteronormative (I don't know of that is a word) characters relationships to matter to the plot...

If any relationship is brought up I expect there to be a reason for it in the plot. Randomly blurting out sexual preferences is something I refuse to see as good writing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    You can make the choice to not play video games; clothes are kind of necessary.

Once again, ethical consumption not being a thing under capitalism doesn't excuse your chief concern being your own convenience. "Well other people are selfish" is just whataboutism because it doesn't dispute you being selfish or said selfishness being pretty vile.
    You can make the choice to buy locally produced as well. I'm simply not a hypocrite with my beliefs. I think what happened is awful but I'm not going to stop using a product I enjoy over it.

It is a selfish choice no one is arguing that it just falls rather flat when most make the same selfish choices.

People expect heteronormative (I don't know of that is a word) characters relationships to matter to the plot...
    That's just a statement homophobes make to justify their homophobia.