10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    American Social Conservatives have been on the wrong side of every issue for.... centuries.

It could be that I'm a lazy asshole but I honestly can't think of a single positive thing they've done in a long, long time. Trump is a symptom of the problem. The rot was always there.

Fiscal conservatives aren't much better but I'm at least willing to give them credit for Interstate Highways.
    While I realize Eisenhower instated them, wouldn’t the normally “fiscally conservative” solution to interstate highways be privately-owned toll roads designed to nickle and dime users to death, more than any additional gas tax used to cover public road infrastructure would ever cost?

If you want a microcosm of that, just look at Florida’s “highways.” Almost every highway road is a toll road that drains you 1.50 every 5 miles you drive. Even within a city you gotta pay tolls unless you want to take surface streets everywhere.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-07-27 at 03:06 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    As the Jan 6th hearings begin, the GOP already has their battle plan: blame Pelosi.

Why don't they want to answer the fundamental question, which is why wasn't there a better security posture on that day?
    -- GOP Rep. Jordan

Specifically, they're trying to shift the outrage from "Trump supporters stormed the Capitol and people died" to "Pelosi didn't defend the Capitol when Trump supporters stormed it and people died". This is also known as "victim blaming", found in lines like "If you didn't want to be raped, why did you wear that outfit?" and "well of course your car got stolen, you left the window down".

I will also point out two other pieces of information the GOP is intentionally leaving out, because their strategy doesn't work if you use actual facts and logic.

1) McConnell was effectively in equal standing with Pelosi, near as I can tell, when it comes to defending the building. Blame both, or blame neither, or admit you're a hypocrite. Incidentally, neither actually runs the Capitol Police Board, and neither have any dealings with the day-to-day security of the building. At best, you could make the argument that neither the House nor the Senate asked for additional help before the murderous insurrection started, but of course, that would be admitting that there was a reason to ask for additional help. "Pelosi should have known the rally would turn into a violent mob!" is possibly one of the dumbest things the GOP could say at this point. And yet...

2) We have a full timeline of the National Guard deployment. Let's also bring in Pence. Pence apparently was willing to call the National Guard, but Trump was not. Trump was at home, watching the riot he started on TV and cheering.

Both of these are important, but lesser importance than Trump starting the murderous insurrection personally and directly. Even if you're angry that the police didn't protect the victim of murder, the person who killed them was the murderer.

I see @YUPPIE is back with us, maybe he can share his opinion. Hey @YUPPIE what do you think about the GOP attempts to blame Pelosi for the results of Jan 6th Capitol assault? Do you find that "interesting"? Surely a genuine poster would be willing to share his opinion on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Thank goodness the GOP always has so many women to choose from when they need a convenient scapegoat! It's weird how they seem to primarily target women in politics, just a bit odd, no? Maybe? Or it makes perfect sense. Probably that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    While I realize Eisenhower instated them, wouldn’t the normally “fiscally conservative” solution to interstate highways be privately-owned toll roads designed to nickle and dime users to death, more than any additional gas tax used to cover public road infrastructure would ever cost?
    They thought of using toll roads but it was deemed impractical and used a gas tax instead. A targeted tax effectively behaves as a toll but without the additional infrastructure and bureaucracy of toll collection. It seems like its "big" government but only sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    She said she didn't see how a vaccine could help against any virus. I asked her about Polio or Smallpox, at which point she responded with "What are those?"
    Tell her you pay a hundred bucks for a zoom presentation about the history of polio and smallpox. Surely she can get a book or two about it at a library.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    "What are those?"
    Do we really need to start wheeling people in iron lungs to these folks fuckin doors? Jesus tap dancing christ on a stick, the fact that it's difficult to find anyone still alive from a generation that didn't have stuff like the polio vaccine really makes a difference I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Tell her you pay a hundred bucks for a zoom presentation about the history of polio and smallpox. Surely she can get a book or two about it at a library.
    Unfortunately she wouldn’t listen if I got it and her mom wouldn’t make her while her dad would likely go into loon town pretending it was fake or something because to do otherwise would go against Lord Trump.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Reading/watching the Jan 6 hearing(s) is incredible. In a bad way. Anyone daring to call any of this "peaceful" wants a short, sharp smack to the head.
    And the GOP retards are now trying to blame Pelosi.

10+ Year Old Account
    ANTIFA, BLM, FBI, Pelosi... wonder who will be next when they can't get this one to stick.
    Clinton? OBAMA!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    ANTIFA, BLM, FBI, Pelosi... wonder who will be next when they can't get this one to stick.
    Pelosi will stick because their insane base wants to believe she is the devil. And the GQP base will believe literally anything they are told by Big Brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    They thought of using toll roads but it was deemed impractical and used a gas tax instead. A targeted tax effectively behaves as a toll but without the additional infrastructure and bureaucracy of toll collection. It seems like its "big" government but only sort of.
    Perhaps, but the gas taxes are going to the government to maintain the infrastructure, whereas private toll roads go into the pockets of some corporation who then deign to allot some of that money to road maintenance.

Mainly, I just hate the toll road system in Florida as a nickel-and-diming way to fleece people of money under the fake pretense of being the “free market private solution to the gas tax” and saw a chance to soapbox about it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And the GOP retards are now trying to blame Pelosi.
    I do wonder if she's already cursing about the inevitable 12 rounds of "benghazi" investigations and hearings coming her way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    I do wonder if she's already cursing about the inevitable 12 rounds of "benghazi" investigations and hearings coming her way.
    Only if the GOP take back power. Until they they can bitch and moan all they want but it won't matter.

if it's concluded trump started the insurrection among other things, why isn't he in prison? Why is he still eligible to regain power?

I don't doubt these things, but I thought America had death and/or fate worse than death for high treason
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2021-07-27 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Only if the GOP take back power. Until they they can bitch and moan all they want but it won't matter.
    Well, I feel okay about the Senate for 2022 but I'm not as confident that the Dems will hold the House, largely thanks to the Census fuckery.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgia...OLD5FT2XQCOK4/

The text of the lawsuit was not yet available, but court records indicate the lawmakers are alleging that their civil rights were violated by the mandate and ensuing fines.
    Greene, Massie, and Northam suing Pelosi over the mask fines alleging their...civil rights were violated. I'm not sure which civil right they think that is, but this isn't surprising coming from these extremist snowflakes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    if it's concluded
    That's not what I asked. I asked what you thought of the GOP trying to blame Pelosi, not for you to deflect with moved goalposts.

if it's concluded trump started the insurrection among other things, why isn't he in prison? Why is he still eligible to regain power?

I don't doubt these things, but I thought America had death and/or fate worse than death for high treason
    A better question is, will you ever find something better to do with your time than continue with your sealioning schtick?
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's not what I asked. I asked what you thought of the GOP trying to blame Pelosi, not for you to deflect with moved goalposts.
    The GOP thing is fucking nuts, but you phrase it in such a way you imply I like Trump.

I'm always just more concerned about how violently divided this supposedly free country is since 2019.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm always just more concerned about how violently divided this supposedly free country is since 2019.
    Since 2019?

BWAHAHAHAHahahAHAHAHAHahahahahAHAHAHAHA!

<wipes tear>

Good one!

Also, obvious sealions are obvious.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils