Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    (PS: If someone could tell me how the gearing system works in this game I'd appreciate it. Like how does one gets the best items, any upgrades, or enchants, or it's only from raids?)[/I]
    Heyo, glad to see you're having fun.
    Gearing is either from Tomestones ( think valor points ) or from savage raids. enchants isnt a thing in final fantasy, instead we have materia that works like gems in wow. the best weapons in the game are a choice between savage weapons or the relic weapons.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    <...>
    Once you hit level cap (level 80), you buy the near BIS gear using a different variant of tomestones that can only be obtained by doing roulettes as a level capped job (level 80). If you want the level 80 tomestone gear, I would advise only doing the trial, raid, and level 50+ and level 80 roulettes on a level 80 job. The levelling roulette, alliance raid roulette, and MSQ roulette are better used for leveling jobs up to 80.

Wait, does this mean everyone can have the best in slot gear if they save up these Tomestones?
    Does it not matter if I do hard content so I can get higher item level gear?
    Coming from WoW, I'm talking about LFR and Mythic raid gear difference for example.
    Last edited by Tyrick; 2021-07-26 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

Wait, does this mean everyone can have the best in slot gear if they save up these Tomestones?
    It'd not the very best gear, it's just near the highest ilevel gear in the game. Raiding will still get you slightly better gear.

Gear bought with Allagan Tomestones of Revelation gives you ilevel 520 Cryptlurker gear, which can be upgraded into ilevel 530 gear.
    The last tier of Eden (latest raid in the game) on savage difficulty drops ilevel 535 Edenmorn gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it not matter if I do hard content so I can get higher item level gear?
    The hardest content in the game are the Ultimate Raids, but they are level synced (having higher ilevel gear is irrelevant because you get scaled down), and they do not give you high ilevel gear. They only give you pretty glowing weapons for glamour purposes.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-07-26 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It'd not the very best gear, it's just near the highest ilevel gear in the game. Raiding will still get you slightly better gear.
    Huh... that's sad and cool at the same time.
    I usually play MMO's to be one of the best geared and strongest player around. But if there is only a slight difference between my grandma's gear and the best raider's...
    Well... we will see.

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

I usually play MMO's to be one of the best geared and strongest player around. But if there is only a slight difference between my grandma's gear and the best raider's...
    Well... we will see.
    Hello, it's me, Grandma, and I love FFXIV's gearing system because I can actually be relevant.

Don't worry, your item level is still one unit above mine because I can't buy a second identical tomestone ring so I'm stuck with the one 10 item levels below, and you can pick between raid gear and tomestone gear to assemble your class's BiS according to stat weights. They are, however, the same item level.

I've never heard of any FFXIV raider complaining about this... if anything, us filthy casuals having gear means you don't have to carry us as hard through daily roulettes. Win-win situation, isn't it?

(Edit) Also, what wasn't mentioned is that it takes us casuals a long time to catch up to raiders in item level. A raid tier lasts for two patches, and the LFR catch-up system is only enabled in the latter patch. This means raiders have had BiS for months before LFD/LFR players eventually (but never fully, due to the ring slot I mentioned above) catch up in item level.
    Last edited by Rappy27; 2021-07-26 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It was nice seeing Asmongold easily find groups to do Coils sync'ed, but I would caution everyone that this isn't the normal experience at all. It's really quite misleading, almost no one actually does them sync'ed and if they did they wouldn't want to take someone new most of the time.
    Asmon will have like 100+ people trying to get into any group with him regardless of game no matter the content lol, people just want to see their names on his stream. He's never going to have issues finding a group. So yeah, his experience when it comes to that will never be legitimate.

Well... we will see.
    The big difference is time. Tomestones are capped at 450 per week (900 now cause end of expansion) and all the 520 gear costs 6385 tomestones. That's 3 and a half months before you've gotten all your gear and by that point new content is usually right around the corner, as a raider you should get your gear a lot faster and enjoy it for a bigger chunk of the patch.
    You can also only upgrade one item per week but since it takes longer to get all the gear than upgrading it it doesn't really factor in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy27 View Post
    Hello, it's me, Grandma, and I love FFXIV's gearing system because I can actually be relevant.

Don't worry, your item level is still one unit above mine because I can't buy a second identical tomestone ring so I'm stuck with the one 10 item levels below, and you can pick between raid gear and tomestone gear to assemble your class's BiS according to stat weights. They are, however, the same item level.

I've never heard of any FFXIV raider complaining about this... if anything, us filthy casuals having gear means you don't have to carry us as hard through daily roulettes. Win-win situation, isn't it?

(Edit) Also, what wasn't mentioned is that it takes us casuals a long time to catch up to raiders in item level. A raid tier lasts for two patches, and the LFR catch-up system is only enabled in the latter patch. This means raiders have had BiS for months before LFD/LFR players eventually (but never fully, due to the ring slot I mentioned above) catch up in item level.
    Agreed. The disparity isn't so far with the 10 ilevel difference early on in the tier, and the non-raiders get to catch up later with ilevel outside of the second ring and the 5 ilevel difference in the weapon. That and the raiders still will have better itemization due to substats. It also lets people who maybe can't do the tier without echo/better gear a better shot.

I don't think I've ever had a raid tier where I was upset at people catching up to me with tome gear. If you want to be "one of the strongest players around" you still can be by outplaying people. Chase those orange/gold parses.

Pretty much nothing compares to WoW, FFXIV has been awesome so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I am enjoying is the crafting and gathering aspect. There are so many ways to level up crafting and gathering skills and it is satisfying too. Similarly, there are lots of contents for combat but the combat itself sucks ballz! I detest doing combat related stuff, so just doing crafting and gathering and it is good enough for me. I hope they do something about this shitfucked combat though, would love to see the story which everyone praises.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Im desperately waiting for asmon reactions to the following:

1. The 2.5 cut scenes.
    2. The 3.3 cut scene.
    3. The 4.0 mol scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still jaded from the first version, so it is hard but for me, I am enjoying that I've found new friends who convinced me to try FFXIV again, helped having some discount codes to buy the game+expansions though I do still play World of Warcraft.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Story is good.

All content even from past expansions remains relevant. Fact that Asmongold was not only able to find a group for ARR raids but also get a decent challenge out of them this late into the game's life cycle says a lot.

Compare this to WoW where welfare epics and catch-up gear make every single piece of content except for the latest raid irrelevant. Where Timewalking is heavily and disgustingly under-utilized.
    Are you really comparing Asmongold's 100k viewerbase to solo ordinary person when it comes to making a group for old content?

Your second point however is true about WoW definitely, but than again, in FFXIV there are no rewards for doing older content on min-ilvl either, so it's "irrelevant" as well, except for 30 min of challenge for first timers.

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    The only thing I am enjoying is the crafting and gathering aspect. There are so many ways to level up crafting and gathering skills and it is satisfying too. Similarly, there are lots of contents for combat but the combat itself sucks ballz! I detest doing combat related stuff, so just doing crafting and gathering and it is good enough for me. I hope they do something about this shitfucked combat though, would love to see the story which everyone praises.

I like that there is a lot of stuff to do for crafting/gathering, although it's still a 1-79 slog making things purely for xp. It's like 99's in Runescape, only cool for show lmao and "scamming" people on Marketplace with HQ they need for a quest.
    Last edited by Daffan; 2021-07-27 at 12:39 PM.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

I legit don't have a clue how crafting is supposed to work, but my LW is only 21 or so

I only ever use the basic button. No clue what the other 8 are for lol.

I am finding even now, that you need gather materials even at this level (need a Mined item to make glamour prisms with LW for example). I'm guessing that this, then, is the money maker.

Legit question, When do I stop being a refugee? Played for two months back in 2019 and started again when the free login campaign began.

Anyway, always liked the game, but I felt more attached to WoW until recently, you know, sunk cost fallacy.

What I enjoy the most atm, aside from doing the MSQ at my own pace, is potd. Being able to test new jobs while leveling them, while getting pets and glams, while also being able to spend the Aetherpool in a cool looking weapon.

Almost done with SB, and before I start ShB, I'll rewatch ARR+HW as BLM with the AF70 Set for max aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    I legit don't have a clue how crafting is supposed to work, but my LW is only 21 or so

I only ever use the basic button. No clue what the other 8 are for lol.

I am finding even now, that you need gather materials even at this level (need a Mined item to make glamour prisms with LW for example). I'm guessing that this, then, is the money maker.
    The goal of the crafting minigame is to try to craft the highest quality item as possible. It's important to note, that you should not prioritize quality over completing the progress of an item. You should try to almost fill up the progress bar first, and then try to get the quality as high as possible. If you cannot get the quality all the filled up, that's okay, just be sure to finish off the progress before the item runs out durability.

Example of the crafting process:

We've started the crafting minigame. The first thing we are going to do is press the glowing ability Inner Quiet . This means that when we use abilities that improve the item's quality, we get a stacking buff that multiplies the quality increased. Note the number of the buff. That is the amount of stacks, and those stacks cap at 11. Later on, you can use an ability that will consume all of those stacks for a massive quality increase (basically a finisher).

Now that we have the stacking quality buff, the next thing we need to do is to use Waste Not II . This will half the amount durability lost whenever we touch the item from 10 points lost to 5 points lost. Note the number on the buff: each time we touch the item, that number will decrease. Once it's gone, touching the item will remove 10 points of durability. We can recover the item's durability using another ability, but that ability is expensive, so it is more economical to try to reduce the amount of durability lost in the process.

Now that we have both buffs up, we will press Basic Synthesis to improve the item's progress until we get a quality proc.

I used one Basic Synthesis , and then thanks to RNG, I got a quality proc. Note that the condition is now "good". This means that if we use an ability that improves quality, the amount of quality increased will be greater than normal. For this turn, we will use Precise Touch .

(In addition to improving the quality of the item, Precise Touch also gives us another stack of Inner Quiet (on top of the stack of inner quiet because we have the buff up), so we wind up getting two stacks of Inner Quiet . Note that we went from 3 stacks to 5 stacks. If you use a different Touch ability, it will only go up by 1 stack. Precise Touch is unlocked at level 53, so before then just use the cheapest touch ability you have).

We improved the quality of the item. The condition went back to being normal, so for now I just spam Basic Synthesis until the RNG blesses me with improved condition.

I've spammed Basic Synthesis 3 times in a row. The RNG hasn't been in my favor as the condition of the item is still normal, so I should keep using Basic Synthesis for now.

Speak of the devil! I used Basic Synthesis one more time, and now thanks to RNG, the item's condition is now "excellent". This means that if I use a quality improving ability, the amount of quality increased will be massive. For this turn, we will use Precise Touch .

After improving the quality of an item on an "excellent" condition turn, the condition of the item on the following turn will be "poor", which means that quality improvement is reduced by half. Do not spend CP on quality improving abilities during this turn, as that CP will be asted. You should either use Basic Synthesis to improve Progress, OR if you're almost completely done filling the progress bar, use Hasty Touch to give you another stack of Inner Quiet without spending CP.

I then used a Basic Synthesis because the the condition was "normal".

Uh oh. We have now run out of stacks of Waste Not II , meaning that if we use any more abilities on the item, we will lose item durability by 10 points. Before we reapply the Waste Not II buff, we should first bring up the item's durability by 30 points by using Master's Mend . Then we refresh the Waste Not II buff. (Note that in the pics, I made a mistake and refreshed the buff first, meaning that I wasted a stack. No biggie, though).

At this point, I am almost done filling the progress bar. I won't use Basic Synthesis anymore because I don't want to accidentally complete the item. I can still upgrade the item's quality. However, I only have 56 CP left. I want to save that CP for my big quality finisher, Byregot's Blessing . So for now, I will just use Hasty Touch , which costs no CP.

Once I fill the quality bar enough that Byregot's Blessing will finish off the quality bar, I will use that. Then I will use Basic Synthesis to complete the progress bar, finishing the item and completing the minigame.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-07-27 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks!!!........

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garretdejiko View Post
    Legit question, When do I stop being a refugee? Played for two months back in 2019 and started again when the free login campaign began.

Anyway, always liked the game, but I felt more attached to WoW until recently, you know, sunk cost fallacy.

What I enjoy the most atm, aside from doing the MSQ at my own pace, is potd. Being able to test new jobs while leveling them, while getting pets and glams, while also being able to spend the Aetherpool in a cool looking weapon.

Almost done with SB, and before I start ShB, I'll rewatch ARR+HW as BLM with the AF70 Set for max aesthetic.
    I'm 50ish on my main 3 jobs, dps/tank/heals and I've never seen potd, and know nothing about it.

Maybe I should look into that.

The more positive things compared to WoW in my opinion:

- The high-level community seems to be much better than in WoW. Almost every high level char / non-sprout I was paired with in instances was super helpful. Reminds me of some old days in DaoC. However, i have a very different experience in low level out in the world and also in instances from other sprouts. Saying "hi" at the beginning or "thx, gg" at the end seems too much social interaction. And so many people just click on a quest item and leave the mobs that spawn (even if they're tabbed to them) to others, as long as they manage to lose aggro to another person. The latter is really common WoW outdoor behaviour. Lets see how the FF14 community develops, and if there will be more such bad apples staying there.

- Personal gathering nodes (?): Not sure about this one, because I didn't do much, yet. But it seems, that gathering nodes are personal. Instead of running around and hoping to find nodes at all, or realm-hopping, you just go out into an area and gather away.

- Many systems for the same thing: In WoW, you have a specific system for everything. I actually like that. However, in many cases, there are only very specific actions or very specific content related to that system, and very specific rewards tied to it. An example would be the legendary and Thorghast. In FF, you also have lots of systems. But the rewards are MUCH more spread across the board, which makes for an easier choise with which of these systems you want to engage - more based on what you want to do, less based on which rewards you want to get. The FF14 equivalent of it gives exp, so you can level secondary jobs, potions, a bit of gold, gems to socket and maybe even more at higher level (just checked the first few ones out yesterday). But outside of cosmetics, as far as I've seen, there is nothing that says: hey, you want a specific item / type of item? Well, you HAVE to do this one content.

- Much more focused on the journey than the goal: In WoW, at least it seems, the journey got somehow lost. So many people there want to rush to max level, and do the activity that they somewhat enjoy and gives the most reward. The game seems to be designed around this type of playstyle. E.g. when I started in Shadowlands, I also replayed some of the BfA content for the story and the zones they implemented in the later patches. Some of my friends couldn't really understand why I'd spend my time with that instead of pushing my char for better gear in Shadowlands. FF14 has, as said, much more focus on the journey.

There are others, but those come to mind right now. There are also things that FF14 does worse than WoW, imo, but that's not the topic of the thread.

[e]
    One more point which I forgot: Free trial. They offer much less compared to some other MMOs for free, and in general I'd prefer a buy2play model. However, compared to WoW it's MUCH more extensive.
    Last edited by Frostfred; 2021-07-28 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Thanks!!!........

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 50ish on my main 3 jobs, dps/tank/heals and I've never seen potd, and know nothing about it.

Maybe I should look into that.
    Definitely, running it can get old after a while, but testing (and leveling in the process) different jobs keeps the experience interesting. PotD is efficient until 60, after that you have HoH, the SB version of PotD. You unlock it by beating floor 50 in PotD and doing a short quest chain in The Ruby Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Garretdejiko View Post
    Definitely, running it can get old after a while, but testing (and leveling in the process) different jobs keeps the experience interesting. PotD is efficient until 60, after that you have HoH, the SB version of PotD. You unlock it by beating floor 50 in PotD and doing a short quest chain in The Ruby Sea.
    What level does your job have to be to get into it? Also where ..... Is it? Heh.