Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Spoilers] What Exactly ARE Elune's Powers?

There is a lot of chatter going on in the last couple of days about Elune. Why she did this, why she didn't do that, why she let this happen, etc.

My question though, what do we actually know about Elune? What are the explicit powers that we have seen or know about?

We know she was responsible for Ysera going to Ardenweald
    We know she granted Tyrandae the powers of the Night Warrior
    [I believe] there was a Satyr in Legion that came to regret their life and wanted to return to a Night Elf and I believe Elune granted that wish [could be mis-remembering this one]

Is that it? There has to be others I am not remembering.

Elune has been a largely absent figure in all of WoW. Perhaps I am missing other expressions of Elunes power, but perhaps the simple answer to why didn't Elune stop Sylvanus was simply because she couldn't. She doesn't have that power. We already know Elune isn't All-Knowing, as she didn't know all the souls were going to the Maw. Her connection to the Winterqueen may have been enough to let her know there was a soul shortage. She didn't have the power to stop Sylvanus, but she could help some of their suffering and [thought] she could ensure their resting place in Ardenweald.

She can mate with a stag to produce a stag-person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    She can mate with a stag to produce a stag-person.
    no one being should hold so much power

The satyr to night elf one was a long questline in classic Ashenvale, not sure if Cata wrecked it. The PC did most the work if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    There is a lot of chatter going on in the last couple of days about Elune. Why she did this, why she didn't do that, why she let this happen, etc.

My question though, what do we actually know about Elune? What are the explicit powers that we have seen or know about?

We know she was responsible for Ysera going to Ardenweald
    We know she granted Tyrandae the powers of the Night Warrior
    [I believe] there was a Satyr in Legion that came to regret their life and wanted to return to a Night Elf and I believe Elune granted that wish [could be mis-remembering this one]

Is that it? There has to be others I am not remembering.

Elune has been a largely absent figure in all of WoW. Perhaps I am missing other expressions of Elunes power, but perhaps the simple answer to why didn't Elune stop Sylvanus was simply because she couldn't. She doesn't have that power. We already know Elune isn't All-Knowing, as she didn't know all the souls were going to the Maw. Her connection to the Winterqueen may have been enough to let her know there was a soul shortage. She didn't have the power to stop Sylvanus, but she could help some of their suffering and [thought] she could ensure their resting place in Ardenweald.
    It's a mortal desire to put things into neat little containers to describe god-like powers.

You can't. They can be whatever they want at any time. She is not omniscient, sure, but we don't know that she's not omnipotent. Is it likely? No, like how her "sister" isn't. But she can probably

Heal corruption
    Heal in general
    Redeem souls
    Shephard souls
    Grant <her> power
    Imbue vitality
    Instill tranquility/peace
    Utilize arcane powers to rain stars
    Telepathy

If we're being honest, Elune has done a whole lot for the Night Elves over the years, especially for a Goddess who claims to not interfere with mortal affairs.

Or at least, a lot has been attributed to her. She's probably just a Crescent-moon version of the winter queen cuz reasons.

Elune not jumping to directly aid the NE's and their tree is actually rather in line with how godlike entities have been portrayed in wow.

Rather what I think has most people all upset is it feels like her reaction to these people dieing is "well, i guess i better fedex these to my sister, oops they all went to super hell?". That and granting tyrande 'vengeance' powers only to deny her vengeance and then claim tyrande has a choice now that sylvanus is already captured.

Also since sylvanus is captured...wouldn't it be easy to be both vengeance and renewal? She doesn't need to use super powers to kill Sylv now.

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    She's probably just a Crescent-moon version of the winter queen cuz reasons.
    with Danuser in charge, this is exactly what Elune now is. Before, she was thought of as one of warcraft's capital-G gods and even before this cinematic, some thought she was a first one

but with this:

she is basically the winter queen, but for the pantheon of Life.

so she's basically been nerfed in terms of status and power and that's who Elune is now
    Last edited by voidox; 2021-07-28 at 07:14 PM.

Joke. Those of Malfurion all but help his people.

I laughed.
    She gave his powers to Maiev.
    She seems to calm Varock down.
    She could stop Sylvanas's plan according to Sylvanas.

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    with Danuser in charge, this is exactly what Elune now is. Before, she was thought of as one of warcraft's capital-G gods and even before this cinematic, some thought she was a first one
    There were no "first ones" before "Danuser was in charge" so this is incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    but with this:

she is basically the winter queen, but for the pantheon of Life.

so she's basically been nerfed in terms of status and power and that's who Elune is now
    Has all the same status and power as ever, we just now know of other layers of power above. Just like the Titans, Void Lords and Old Gods.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    There were no "first ones" before "Danuser was in charge" so this is incredibly stupid.
    I think you miscomprehended what they were saying.

Well buckle up for some inconsistent all over the place of characterisation. Going in order.
    She mothered Cenarius with Malorne.
    She has shown similarities to Naaru
    She was for some reason involved in Titan's shaping of Azeroth due to the tears of elune pillar
    She forged Xe'ra and the Naaru
    She is the Life counterpart of the Winter Queen, whom together represent the great cycle.

She has the power to be the ultimate get out of jail free card plot armor, for all the top tier night elf characters, when they do something retarded or become somehow disadvantaged...

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Elune not jumping to directly aid the NE's and their tree is actually rather in line with how godlike entities have been portrayed in wow.

Rather what I think has most people all upset is it feels like her reaction to these people dieing is "well, i guess i better fedex these to my sister, oops they all went to super hell?". That and granting tyrande 'vengeance' powers only to deny her vengeance and then claim tyrande has a choice now that sylvanus is already captured.

Also since sylvanus is captured...wouldn't it be easy to be both vengeance and renewal? She doesn't need to use super powers to kill Sylv now.
    Pretty sure most of the events of the campaign are intended to take place prior to the events of Sanctum. We haven't had an indication yet as to when they cross over, unlike say the Venthyr launch campaign which has Castle Nathria as a clear line of demarcation between two of its chapters.

She has the power to be an idiot and let all of her favorite children burn to death to feed Ardenweald

In the in-game cinematic for the Paladin class mount in Legion, a handful of Silver Hand NPC's literally channel the light into an undead warhorse, not only returning it to life but leaving it thoroughly infused with the light in a few seconds. Meanwhile, souls in Ardenweald have to undergo a massive sleepfest in a plant pod for ages until they are ready to be reborn. So the Silver Hand is like a billion times more powerful than the entities in Ardenweald.

I don't know what is going on.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

So it's confirmed that she is the counterpart of the Winterqueen, but in the realm of the living. So shouldn't she have brothers/sisters of the living pantheon like the WinterQueen does... oh wait, there is a pantheon in the realm of the living who uses similar architect of the First Ones, who were born from worlds with no memories, who's powers rival that of the Eternal ones... the Titans

When you're building something, you always start with the bottom, the foundation. What's the use of a second floor, if there's no first floor? If someone was creating this universe, it would make sense to create the Shadowlands first and then the Living realm second. It's like putting in pipes to the sewers, before putting in the toilet. I think after the First Ones set the shadowlands up, they went to finalize this universe, but in doing so, Zovaal did something to them. He has the power to wipe the minds of someone as powerful and intelligent as the Primus, what if the First Ones were going to be the Living Pantheon(the living universe is the center of everything) and Zovaal did something to them, wiping their memories and they were born the Titans. We see now that communication with both realms is hard, even for Elune and the Winterqueen who according this cinematic, the winterqueen thought Elune had abandoned them.

I'm thinking Elune doesn't have a physical body, i think something there might have happened too. I also kinda think that elune and Azeroth might be the same person who's soul was split in 2. Elune being with memories and Azeroth being without memories. Also explains why Azeroth is taking so long to be born.

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    It's a mortal desire to put things into neat little containers to describe god-like powers.

You can't. They can be whatever they want at any time. She is not omniscient, sure, but we don't know that she's not omnipotent. Is it likely? No, like how her "sister" isn't. But she can probably

Heal corruption
    Heal in general
    Redeem souls
    Shephard souls
    Grant <her> power
    Imbue vitality
    Instill tranquility/peace
    Utilize arcane powers to rain stars
    Telepathy

If we're being honest, Elune has done a whole lot for the Night Elves over the years, especially for a Goddess who claims to not interfere with mortal affairs.

Or at least, a lot has been attributed to her. She's probably just a Crescent-moon version of the winter queen cuz reasons.

Considering there is plenty of evidence to show she isn't omnipotent and there is zero reason to believe she is omnipotent I don't think we need some story writer to slap us in the face with a rolled up newspaper saying one way or the other.

If she was then upon talking to the Winter Queen she could use her infinite power to bitch slap the jailer and fix the Shadowlands. Because we know the jailer and all of the eternal ones are definitely not omnipotent. And it would be well within her power. Her being all powerful also falls on its face when you find the souls she sent to help her sister were stolen from her. Even if you want to accept that an all-powerful deity could be overpowered by a not all powerful entity we then have to go by Elune's words that she "Doomed the souls of her favorite people". If she was all powerful once she found out her fuck up she could easily use her omnipotence to save them/fix the issue. Based on her words if I recall she can't.

And similar if she can't because it's the Shadowlands and she's a life deity then by definition she couldn't be omnipotent, which is unlimited power/able to do anything, because something she wants to do isn't within her power to do. She's powerful, but seriously who is stupid enough to think she's Omnipotent at this point?
    Last edited by shimerra; 2021-07-28 at 09:49 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post

Technically Sylvanis is not captured yet. The campaign timeline is slower than the raid. Sylvanis is still active and working with the jailer at the moment in the campaign story time line

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroclinic View Post
    The satyr to night elf one was a long questline in classic Ashenvale, not sure if Cata wrecked it. The PC did most the work if I remember.
    played a worgen weeks ago and in Teldrassil I still had a quest with the satyr; perhaps it's the same guy so I think the satyr to night elf redemption is still there
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx Vox View Post
    Elune has the power to be a wildly inconsistent plot device when writers want to do something with a Night Elf character.
    /thread

Of course, similar could be said about any character in the current team's hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    and there is zero reason to believe she is omnipotent I
    Plenty to suggest it pre-Shadowlands.

If we're counting shadowlands as part of wow lore (lol), sure. It goes against Blizzard's own calling her a true deity and not wanting to touch her (because she was the last 'ooh what is she' in the world), but yah. Let's go with Shadowlands lore.

Or maybe she is omnipotent. Maybe she knows that destroying the Maw, the jailer, or whatever the heck haphazardly will have catastrophic repercussions and she's smarter than Forum-goers. Maybe. Could be.

I can think of another omnipotent entity that lets some evil dude run amok without just obliterating him. For reasons.