10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Still nothing from DeathSantis about masks or other precautionary measures. Fuck Florida.
    Florida hiding their numbers is some really despicable shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The whole immigrant bringing diseases thing is a old racist trope.
    Yep, about as old as America itself because why fix your own mistakes when it is so much easier to blame the immigrants or minorities over there for your woes.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Yep, about as old as America itself because why fix your own mistakes when it is so much easier to blame the immigrants or minorities over there for your woes.
    "We're a nation of immigrants"

also

"THOSE IMMIGRANTS ARE RUINING OUR NATION!"

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Florida hiding their numbers is some really despicable shit.
    Ya, DeSantis is always fighting for the top spot of worst/dangerous Americans with the likes of Trump, Carlson, Murdoch, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Don't underestimate the Congress of 'not doing shit'. I'm not so sure Trump could have overcome that. Its not for want of trying by some that under Trump nothing happened except the corporate tax cut, the GOP couldn't agree to anything to actually do while holding all 3 branches.
    The corporate tax cut was done under reconciliation so didn't even need the super majority that accomplishing anything else would have needed in the senate. Still, if he had come up with something decent I'm pretty sure there'd be Democrats willing to support it... the trick would be finding that sweet spot where enough Republicans would still be willing to support it.

https://www.vox.com/2021/7/28/225945...dive-explained

Y'all, Trump can't get his favored candidates elected and apparently he can't save Newsmax either. Shit's falling apart and they're losing their small audience to Fox News once more. Fairly interesting piece looking at why this is happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "We're a nation of immigrants"

also

"THOSE IMMIGRANTS ARE RUINING OUR NATION!"
    This is a bad idea for the GOP to attempt. There's already been a move for GOP actors to act in their authority to stop immigration in any form. But, if you want to blame the rise of COVID in your state, saying "it's immigrants" while you're blocking immigrants will prove itself false.

Yeah, yeah, you're going to say "their voters won't care" but that depends on how many of them die. The hypocrisy they've forced themselves to accept, the death count at some point could be a tipping point. Even if they won't vote blue, they might just stay home and look at the empty chair/sofa that used to hold a loved one.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2021-07-29 at 02:16 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.
    I don't like being a crazy person, but she said people were coming in from 88 countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    WaPo reports that Trump called the Attorney General every day for his last month in office, pushing the election fraud conspiracy theory and asking what the AG could do to help Trump stay in office.

"What did he say?"

He said "I don't exist". Barr had already resigned. But Trump also called his acting AG Rosen.

"Well smartass, what did he say?"

During my tenure, no special prosecutors were appointed, whether for election fraud or otherwise. No public statements were made questioning the election. No letters were sent to State officials seeking to overturn the election results. No DOJ court actions or filings were submitted seeking to overturn election results
    "Wow, he said that to Trump?"

Goodness no. He said that to Congress in May. On the phone with Trump he probably said "I'll see what I can do" and then did nothing. However, a quick search suggests that's true -- I can't find much of Rosen speaking out on the issue at the time. Trump, by contrast, was obsessed with the conspiracy theory that there was fraud to the point of mobilizing a murderous insurrection.

The report goes to further Trump's deteriorating state of mind with regard to losing the election fairly. Hopefully this and other information comes forward that basically forces Trump to take the stand. I want him to say "I have no proof" under oath. I want this conspiracy theory shown to be as lame-ass, limp-dick, and most importantly IMPOTUS as its creator.

10+ Year Old Account

Stay safe, folks.
    And therein lies yet another example of conservative cognitive dissonance.

Are the immigrants to blame for new COVID cases because they're unvaccinated or not wearing masks? Because conservatives are against both of those things.

Or is it the old "immigrants are dirty and unwholesome and therefore more likely to spread diseases despite the fact that the god-fearing, clean conservatives take no additional efforts to mitigate catching or spreading the disease themselves."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Are the immigrants to blame for new COVID cases because they're unvaccinated or not wearing masks? Because conservatives are against both of those things.

Or is it the old "immigrants are dirty and unwholesome and therefore more likely to spread diseases despite the fact that the god-fearing, clean conservatives take no additional efforts to mitigate catching or spreading the disease themselves."
    Obviously it's that second one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And what is this?

Here, we did — developed three highly effective vaccines in under one year. Honestly, it never occurred to me we would have difficulty getting people to take the vaccine.

So, clearly, we have got a job to do to try to convince reluctant Americans of all types who seem to be holding back, unconvinced that this is the right thing to do.
    That's Mitch McConnell again, expressing surprise that "people" wouldn't get the vaccine while not admitting which "people" -- his own party. I don't know why he's taking this approach, it's not like he's worried about offending Trump -- Trump hasn't said "the vaccine is cursed, don't get it". He should be just directly telling his own voters "This is a good thing, you should do it".

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I don't like being a crazy person, but she said people were coming in from 88 countries.
    Here I had thought it's one person from China. Strange...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Here I had thought it's one person from China. Strange...
    There’s 35 countries in the Americas. 88 was an odd number to pick. Unless…..

slash puts on tin foil hat

That number was picked for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

There’s 35 countries in the Americas. 88 was an odd number to pick. Unless…..

slash puts on tin foil hat

That number was picked for a reason.
    Would that involve counting letters? like let's see what we get....ah, but of course: HH
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    The corporate tax cut was done under reconciliation so didn't even need the super majority that accomplishing anything else would have needed in the senate. Still, if he had come up with something decent I'm pretty sure there'd be Democrats willing to support it... the trick would be finding that sweet spot where enough Republicans would still be willing to support it.
    Pretty much by definition is there is Democratic support the Republicans will not support it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. And I'm sure she also spelled out which of those 88 countries had higher positivity rates, cases per capita, and deaths per capita than us. Because the US, well, we're not doing great in those regards.

As you can see, as a "continent" the US and Canada are, as of this week (look at that upwards swing) the worst "continent" in the world. And no, we're not the worst in the planet, but bear in mind those figures are being buoyed by Canada. (By the way, the border's still closed) Also, we have some states that compete with the worst countries out there. As a completely vindictive example, Alabama is proudly displaying a 275 new cases/100,000 people average. Look at those continent averages. Alabama is a ridiculous outlier. In fact, at time of writing, Alabama's cases/100k are higher than every country on the planet. Every single one. Just to drive this point home, the UK is spiking and not in a great place right now. Their cases/100k? 44. Compared to the US, that's not great at all. And they're not even in the top 10 (there are a few island nations like Cuba and Cyprus that are also not great) Compared to Alabama, they're about six times better.

So she's being incredibly disingenuous, unless she also said "and we need to cut down on traffic from worse states like Alabama". Which, just going to guess, she didn't.

But this wasn't Alabama. It was...Iowa? Well, they're doing much better by comparison, at 45 cases/100k people. Again, this is nothing to be proud of, even if it is one-sixth of Alabama. But there aren't 88 countries in the world worse than Iowa. Oh, look at that, spiking panicking UK is actually better than "block the immigrants" Iowa. And I don't think we're getting a lot of tourist trade from...(checks list)...Botswana, Georgia the country, or Kazahkstan.

And just going to throw it out there, the USA's average is 20 and Mexico's is 9.

So unless My Name-a the Borat is intentionally loading up planes full of sick people, no, it's not fucking immigrants. The governor of Iowa is, yes, blaming all her state's problems on immigrants as a scapegoat for her failures. I mean, seriously, who comes from overseas to live in fucking Iowa? Her state's as likely to be overrun with immigrants as it is to be hit by meteor. Maybe if DeSantis had said something about Cuba he'd have a point, but he's lying and hiding his numbers so he lost that privilege anyhow.

So no, you don't sound like a crazy person. She does. The USA is worse than every continent, and Iowa is worse than almost every country of note, spared only by Spain and almost the UK. She's lying to cover her own failures, and trying to blame everyone but her and her voters who won't get immunized or put on a mask (Iowa is 22nd with a barely sub-50% vaccine rate).

10+ Year Old Account
    That breakdown of vaccinations by State doesn't look very good. Even Illinois at 26th is worrisome considering we're preparing to throw open the doors to our schools with mask wearing just a suggestion for vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. A part of me thinks we're going to see one hell of a surge through the school systems at least one more time before this ends...or causes a new strand to mutate and sets us all back yet again.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Zaydin; 2021-07-29 at 08:14 AM.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

i feel like if trump dies any time in the foreseeable future, we're gonna see unprecedented acts of neo-fascist violence across America. The way there is so much hatred cultivated around one man's personality and what's happened already is not making it look good.

sure he has the best healthcare but he's old and he had his brother recently randomly die to believably natural causes.