Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    the trailer seems to show too much perhaps. duke leto being attacked, dying..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    lol what's "Dune"?
    Here's some kinda summary, or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKfbU9mwgC0
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-23 at 10:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good director, good IP, big budget and good cast.

Hopefully it does not disappoint. It is once again the same story of the series that already has a movie and mini series sort of about. So hopefully more will follow, looking to be a good time for sci-fi fans regardless
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    While I'm sure I will thoroughly enjoy this movie, based on this new trailer I'm somewhat dismayed that they are clearly departing so heavily from the original story. I love 80s Dune very much despite it doing the same, I'm sure I will like this one just as much ... it's just saddening that they can't just tell the damn story the way it was written.
    You could tell all that from this trailer

this guy i think saw the imax n stuff n he isn't sure on many things..

where have I heard this guy's voice before, didn't he used to do lots of game of thrones vids?
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-23 at 10:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never heard of the books or the movie before, and after watching the trailer my girlfriend and I are intrigued, although we don't really understand the trailer or the setup.
    The planet Dune is a planet with the most valueable resource in the universe (we assume).
    Any TL: DR which explains the first movie in like 2 sentences?
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2021-07-23 at 11:16 AM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

5+ Year Old Account
    film 1
    Summary Plot Overview

Dune is based on a complex imagined society set roughly 20,000 years in the future. The setting is the year 10,191, and human beings have spread out and colonized planets throughout the universe. On the planet Caladan, Duke Leto of the House of Atreides is preparing to leave for his new position as the governor of Arrakis, a desert planet with valuable resources of melange, a spice drug that is extremely popular with wealthy people. Leto and his family, including his concubine, Jessica, and his son, Paul, suspect a trap by their rivals, the Harkonnens, led by Baron Harkonnen. Leto decides to settle on Arrakis because of its rich supplies of melange, despite warnings from his men, including his adviser, Thufir Hawat, and his master-of-arms, Gurney Halleck.

The Atreides arrive on Arrakis and the duke quickly moves to secure the planet from a Harkonnen attack. His main plan is to enlist the Fremen, the tough natives of the Arrakeen desert, as soldiers and advisers. Meanwhile, Paul’s and Jessica’s special abilities intrigue the Fremen. Jessica is a member of the Bene Gesserit, a school of quasi-mystical witches with strange powers. The Fremen believe that Jessica and her son are saviors who have come to lead them toward creating a lush paradise on the dry Arrakis.

'spoilers' below
    Dr. Yueh, a member of the Atreides house, betrays them. The Harkonnens arrive and wipe most of the Atreides out by using Sardaukar, the super-soldiers of the emperor, who is secretly helping the Harkonnens. The traitor, Dr. Yueh, hands Duke Leto over to the baron, but in his guilt he helps Jessica and Paul escape. Dr. Yueh places a secret tooth in Duke Leto’s mouth. Duke Leto dies by emitting poison gas from the secret tooth, in a failed attempt to kill the baron. Hawat and Halleck escape as well. Halleck joins the local smugglers while Hawat attempts to join the Fremen, but Hawat is captured by the Harkonnens. He then agrees to work for Baron Harkonnen as a Mentat, or thinker, while secretly plotting his revenge against the baron and against Jessica, who he thinks betrayed Duke Leto.

Dr. Kynes, a Fremen leader and planetary ecologist, orders the Fremen to find Jessica and Paul. The Fremen capture and then quickly accept Jessica and Paul as their destined leaders. Jessica becomes their reverend mother, while Paul is recognized as something close to a religious prophet. Paul takes the name Muad’Dib, a religious title that means mouse. As he matures swiftly following his father’s death, Paul discovers he has great powers above and beyond those of his mother. He can see into both the future and the distant past. His consumption of melange heightens his powers.
    if film 1 goes well, film 2
    Two years pass. The baron, living on the Harkonnen home world, schemes to usurp the emperor, while grooming one of his own nephews, Feyd-Rautha, to take over the job. Meanwhile, on Arrakis, Paul has become very powerful and influential among the Fremen. He is both their secular and religious leader, like Kynes before him, but his powers are far greater than those of Kynes. He has a child with a Fremen woman, Chani, the daughter of Kynes, and his mother has given birth to Alia, Duke Leto’s daughter. Paul teaches the Fremen to fight using a special style called the “weirding way” and using the advanced fighting techniques of the Bene Gesserit. One day, the Fremen discover that the baron has abandoned his aid to Rabban, the nephew he assigned to rule over Arrakis. Paul and the Fremen make plans to raid the Arrakeen capital now that Rabban is cut off from the baron’s help.

Upon discovering the power of the Fremen, the emperor himself comes to Arrakis, along with his Sardaukar and the Harkonnens. The Fremen attack the emperor, quickly dismantling his spaceships while destroying the Sardaukar. In the battle, Alia kills Baron Harkonnen, and Paul’s young son dies in a raid. Paul demands that the emperor step down; Paul asks to marry the emperor’s daughter, Irulan, so that he may become the new emperor. Feyd-Rautha challenges Paul, citing the right of vengeance, and Paul kills him in a duel. Powerless now, the emperor agrees to Paul’s demands, and Paul becomes the new emperor.
    Melange (/meɪˈlɑːnʒ/),[1] often referred to as simply "spice", is the name of the fictional drug central to the Dune series of science fiction novels by Frank Herbert and derivative works.

In the series, the most essential and valuable commodity in the universe is melange, a drug that gives the user a longer life span, greater vitality, and heightened awareness; it can also unlock prescience in some humans, depending upon the dosage and the consumer's physiology. This prescience-enhancing property makes safe and accurate interstellar travel possible. However, melange is also highly addictive, and withdrawal is fatal. Harvesting melange is also hazardous in the extreme, as its only known source is the harsh desert planet Arrakis, and melange deposits are guarded by giant sandworms.
    that's 2 movies, just from one book n there are several books

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-23 at 11:44 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    film looks awesome, so might be minor complaint but arrakis looks less majestic n alien desert planet than I expected in the trailer..

Maybe in the movie there will be something, but even if not will still prob be a good movie

Arrakis in art

Say what you want about the star wars prequels, but they made Tatooine really look a different, alien place..Villenueve's Arrakis looks beautiful, but not alien enough mefeels..

Lawrence of Arabia, Wadi Rum what a view n the music..

seeing what denis did with blade runner i'm sure he can pull it off, but I got nothing from the trailer..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-25 at 02:18 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    You could tell all that from this trailer

There were quite a few lines of dialog between Paul and Duncan that didn't happen in the books.

(note I'm speaking of the dune series itself. not any of the prequels/spinoffs. I haven't read those yet)
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2021-07-27 at 01:02 AM.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    There were quite a few lines of dialog between Paul and Duncan that didn't happen in the books.

(note I'm speaking of the dune series itself. not any of the prequels/spinoffs. I haven't read those yet)
    Yes, Villeneuve seems to be pushing Idaho as a bigger character in his Dune which lines up with some people saying he is sort of the big surprise among people who claim to have seen it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am quite looking forward to this. I really really hope it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Well China may be what gets us the 2nd half of this movie. Because the simultaneous HBO-stream release with theater release means if this was a US Only movie we'd probably never get to see the 2nd half.

C'mon China...get us one complete "First Book" story-movie... LOL.
    I guess that's one way to look at it. Another way of looking at it would be that if they did theater only a lot of people still wouldn't bother to see it. I mean I'm vaccinated since March but I'm still in no hurry to be in a cinema full of people snotting into their popcorn. Outdoor? Sure. In the cinema? Nah. I will however watch it on HBO. If it wasn't for HBO I 100% wouldn't watch it until after it was out for home release. I think I only know 2 people who are willing to go to the cinema right now and one of them is hospitalized with delta so :/
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Yes, Villeneuve seems to be pushing Idaho as a bigger character in his Dune which lines up with some people saying he is sort of the big surprise among people who claim to have seen it.
    I guess it would make sense, if he's considering adapting the whole saga in the future.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I am quite looking forward to this. I really really hope it's good.

I guess that's one way to look at it. Another way of looking at it would be that if they did theater only a lot of people still wouldn't bother to see it. I mean I'm vaccinated since March but I'm still in no hurry to be in a cinema full of people snotting into their popcorn. Outdoor? Sure. In the cinema? Nah. I will however watch it on HBO. If it wasn't for HBO I 100% wouldn't watch it until after it was out for home release. I think I only know 2 people who are willing to go to the cinema right now and one of them is hospitalized with delta so :/
    And if everyone stays home in the US and sees it on HBO - you wouldn't have a chance to get the 2nd half of this movie made because they wouldn't make enough to greenlight it. We'd be stuck with half-a plot movie, forever - with no 'full story' told.

Which is why I'm very glad its getting a China release. Because otherwise we'd never see the 2nd half of this movie (or the story/book itself) - no matter how good it may be.

Though I'm very confused at a studio that says they want this IP to be their tentpole, and are doing an entire series with Dune as well - but still refusing to greenlight the movie covering the 2nd half of the opening book's story/opening movie's plotline. WTF? Why greenlight the series and not the 2nd movie finishing the story in the FIRST BOOK of your supposed "tentpole" IP? Just... 'whhaaaaa?'
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

An 'issue' with the book and something I'm keen to see how they solved is that a lot happens or is deduced in inner monologue, which translates badly into movie scenes. I was expecting more dialogue, and if they manage to make it sound less wooden here and there while keeping the characters etc intact (and if any director can do this it's Villeneuve) all the better.

September 16th can't come soon enough.

- - - Updated - - -

And if everyone stays home in the US and sees it on HBO - you wouldn't have a chance to get the 2nd half of this movie made because they wouldn't make enough to greenlight it. We'd be stuck with half-a plot movie, forever - with no 'full story' told.

Which is why I'm very glad its getting a China release. Because otherwise we'd never see the 2nd half of this movie (or the story/book itself) - no matter how good it may be.

Though I'm very confused at a studio that says they want this IP to be their tentpole, and are doing an entire series with Dune as well - but still refusing to greenlight the movie covering the 2nd half of the opening book's story/opening movie's plotline. WTF? Why greenlight the series and not the 2nd movie finishing the story in the FIRST BOOK of your supposed "tentpole" IP? Just... 'whhaaaaa?'
    Because the budget for this movie is probably as stellar as its setting. The wages for the actors alone are probably more than the production value of most other movies the past 10 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    An 'issue' with the book and something I'm keen to see how they solved is that a lot happens or is deduced in inner monologue, which translates badly into movie scenes. I was expecting more dialogue, and if they manage to make it sound less wooden here and there while keeping the characters etc intact (and if any director can do this it's Villeneuve) all the better.

September 16th can't come soon enough.

Wasn't a complaint on my part. I was just explaining how we knew it was I hate t say changed cause I don't know whats being added from the spin off books.

- - - Updated - - -

Most people only know the first 1-3 books and the movies. Anyone that has read the whole series knows Duncan was pretty much the main character. He is the only one that is in every book.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Wasn't a complaint on my part. I was just explaining how we knew it was I hate t say changed cause I don't know whats being added from the spin off books.

- - - Updated - - -

Most people only know the first 1-3 books and the movies. Anyone that has read the whole series knows Duncan was pretty much the main character. He is the only one that is in every book.
    Ya I'd be really shocked if Villeneuve went past the first book or two. I'm only about 70% expecting a second movie tbh. Unless he's just a huge Dune fan and dreams of doing the full story.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2021-07-29 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I'd be really shocked if Villeneuve went past the first book or two. I'm only about 70% expecting a second movie tbh. Unless he's just a huge Dune fan and dreams of doing the full story.
    While I wouldn't really mind seeing it. I could see God Emperor and beyond extremely hard to convert to cinema.

While I wouldn't really mind seeing it. I could see God Emperor and beyond extremely hard to convert to cinema.
    God Emperor is, not only because of making a giant Worm the main character but also due to how much time is spent with him just talking about all sorts of things. I don't think it translates well to a movie. That is the book that has by far the most political and religious commentary in it from Herbert I would say. I think the last two would be ok as movies but it's very hard to set them up properly without GEoD before.

God Emperor is a bit of an outlier in the series - and yeah it'd be extremely difficult to properly adapt for the screen. Perhaps it could be integrated into a long-format variant of the subsequent events (Heretics/Chapterhouse) in the form of flashbacks. That honestly seems the most feasible option to me, if this was ever to happen in the first place.

Messiah/Children and Heretics/Chapterhouse wouldn't be that hard to adapt. Anything after Chapterhouse doesn't exist.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree there - I highly doubt *anyone* is going to be attempting to convert the entire (original) series into a movie series. That would be much better suited to a *long* running tv show (if even possible) =D than movies anyway.

But the 2nd movie isn't the 2nd book. The Second movie is the CONCLUSION to THIS movie, coming out in September. The 2nd movie is the 2nd HALF of *only* the first book. THIS first movie is only HALF of that actual story. It will end before finishing the story of the first book.

Villeneuve has already done a lot of the writing/initial planning (at least from the few articles I've read mentioning this) for the second movie and WANTS to do the second movie. He intended when he started to do this First Book's WHOLE STORY - but the studio - despite claiming this is a tentpole IP and funding an entire series to be airing as well - won't agree to even complete the story of the first book, which is what gets people (who aren't already fans) to buy into the IP.

That's the part that doesn't compute. I mean I get if the 2nd movie was the 2nd book, but its not - its part 2 of the first movie/plot. But to launch a 'tentpole' IP your banking all this money on for the next couple of years at least, and already you are unwilling to commit to telling the First Story that launches the entire thing?? A movie that is also released on HBO Max - so you already know US Theater Sales ain't gonna be "all that." You're shooting yourself in the foot - its Firefly in the wrong order all over again =D.

That's why the China release may be what "saves" this. Because even if all us nerdier Dune fans all love this movie and go to the theaters to see it, I doubt the US Box Office (because of the simultaneous streaming release) $ would be enough to greenlight the conclusion to the movie - with a studio already so hesitant to "finish" the job.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

A Dune multiple seasons would be so awesome! (if done right)
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

I agree there - I highly doubt *anyone* is going to be attempting to convert the entire (original) series into a movie series. That would be much better suited to a *long* running tv show (if even possible) =D than movies anyway.

But the 2nd movie isn't the 2nd book. The Second movie is the CONCLUSION to THIS movie, coming out in September. The 2nd movie is the 2nd HALF of *only* the first book. THIS first movie is only HALF of that actual story. It will end before finishing the story of the first book.

Villeneuve has already done a lot of the writing/initial planning (at least from the few articles I've read mentioning this) for the second movie and WANTS to do the second movie. He intended when he started to do this First Book's WHOLE STORY - but the studio - despite claiming this is a tentpole IP and funding an entire series to be airing as well - won't agree to even complete the story of the first book, which is what gets people (who aren't already fans) to buy into the IP.

That's the part that doesn't compute. I mean I get if the 2nd movie was the 2nd book, but its not - its part 2 of the first movie/plot. But to launch a 'tentpole' IP your banking all this money on for the next couple of years at least, and already you are unwilling to commit to telling the First Story that launches the entire thing?? A movie that is also released on HBO Max - so you already know US Theater Sales ain't gonna be "all that." You're shooting yourself in the foot - its Firefly in the wrong order all over again =D.

That's why the China release may be what "saves" this. Because even if all us nerdier Dune fans all love this movie and go to the theaters to see it, I doubt the US Box Office (because of the simultaneous streaming release) $ would be enough to greenlight the conclusion to the movie - with a studio already so hesitant to "finish" the job.
    I'm well aware of everything you said here. It's not hard for movie studios to walk away from franchises though if they suddenly want to change direction or don't see them as profitable enough despite making comments like tentpole and all of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    God Emperor is a bit of an outlier in the series - and yeah it'd be extremely difficult to properly adapt for the screen. Perhaps it could be integrated into a long-format variant of the subsequent events (Heretics/Chapterhouse) in the form of flashbacks. That honestly seems the most feasible option to me, if this was ever to happen in the first place.

Messiah/Children and Heretics/Chapterhouse wouldn't be that hard to adapt. Anything after Chapterhouse doesn't exist.
    God Emperor could probably also be condensed into a 3-4 min prologue for Chapterhouse where it sort of links up to CoD as well. Where they just say '3000 years after the events of Children of Dune, The God Emperor Leto Atreides' rule of the galaxy has finally ended and humanity has spread out into the far reaches of the galaxy. Dune, once covered in sand is now largely tropical with sand worms only surviving at the poles and the Bene Gerreset finding themselves at war with an unknown enemy.' Plus add in some pictures as they tell the story.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2021-07-29 at 08:37 PM.