Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Actually it IS pretty normal.
    And I'm saying it's not. Certainly not for me.

Hey but if joking about dead babies and rape make you happy, more power to you. Won't win you may friends I suspect.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    We have this on the books. It's not a principle, it's law, across the board.

Boss asks me to do overtime - I ask do I get paid for it - He says no - I say nah, Imma head home.
    The same thing when signing a contract. If i don't like it, I won't sign it. I can't bitch afterward if I did.
    Can I ask what industry you work in?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Can I ask what industry you work in?
    I work in theatre. Everyone marks overtime. Those on a regular salary and those working on an hourly wage.

It's possible that there were instances of pay discrimination and/or gender/racial discrimination.
    Considering the mindset that seems to have been prevalent at Blizzard, that's highly possible. But the wording of the answer doesn't talk about such cases, and seems to just focus on the typical "woke" buzzwords.
    My gut feeling is that of political hijacking, and I've become really, really allergic to this shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    And I'm saying it's not. Certainly not for me.
    I guess it takes dedication to virtue signal so hard.
    Hey but if joking about dead babies and rape make you happy, more power to you. Won't win you may friends I suspect.
    I'm pretty sure people enjoy more the company of those who can have a laugh than preachy "better-then-you" with a stick in their ass, but whatever can scratch that itch to make you think you're superior I guess.

I work in theatre. Everyone marks overtime. Those on a regular salary and those working on an hourly wage.
    So you work in A theatre or you work in stage production/acting etc? Are you on a regular salary or hourly wage?

10+ Year Old Account
    We have this on the books. It's not a principle, it's law, across the board.

Boss asks me to do overtime - I ask do I get paid for it - He says no - I say nah, Imma head home.
    The same thing when signing a contract. If i don't like it, I won't sign it. I can't bitch afterward if I did.
    This is off-topic so I'll make this short: There are a couple of states that cover exempt employees under their overtime laws. Usually there are some conditions attached to that. Federal law, which most states follow, does not provide a requirement for overtime for exempt employees.

Blizzard, being in California, does not have to pay salaried workers overtime. If they did I'm sure the entire industry would move and incorporate elsewhere in a heartbeat.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

So you work in A theatre or you work in stage production/acting etc? Are you on a regular salary or hourly wage?
    I'm not going to play this anymore. You're not even going anywhere with this now. I gave you a clear answer, you are not satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    This is off-topic so I'll make this short: There are a couple of states that cover exempt employees under their overtime laws. Usually there are some conditions attached to that. Federal law, which most states follow, does not provide a requirement for overtime for exempt employees.

Blizzard, being in California, does not have to pay salaried workers overtime. If they did I'm sure the entire industry would move and incorporate elsewhere in a heartbeat.
    Like everyone's favourite dickhead Elon Musk did.

I'm not going to play this anymore. You're not even going anywhere with this now. I gave you a clear answer, you are not satisfied with it.
    It's a fair question, though? Every industry has different benchmarks. I work in finance. If I said to my boss, 'mate, I ain't working on this deal worth XYZ to the company because my hours are up' he'd laugh me out the building. And every company would do the same. So food for thought.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2021-07-29 at 09:23 AM.

You can live on Mars, and I'll tell you straight up, there's nowhere in the universe that every industry applies this principle.

There's always wiggle room. Always.

Well based on your logic that the person you quoted doesn't speak for anyone, I can easily just ignore what you're saying.

Your principle of 'only go on what people say and not what they apply' only works for you and no one else. Since you don't speak for me.

I'm telling you, man. This dude is like 12 and thinks that you get a fair day's wage for a fair day's work and such cliches.
    Again, only my part cause editing on a phone is a pain!

Yes that is my logic, no one speaks for anyone in this forum. The same way you can’t put words in people’s mouths so that your anecdotal evidence is more important than actual evidence (hint, it’s not). The person you quoted stated a very well known fact (https://towardsdatascience.com/is-th...c-6051dff3a041). You can easily ignore what I say, this a discussion forum. It’s your choice to have a discussion or throw accusations with nothing to back them except your feelings.

It's a fair question, though? Every industry has different benchmarks. I work in finance. If I said to my boss, 'mate, I ain't working on this deal worth XYZ to the company because my hours are up' he'd laugh me out the building. And every company would do the same. So food for thought.
    You signed a contract, so that is what you must do. We are on the same page, there is no confusion on this.
    But why would you sign it if there was something in there you didn't like?

For starters, the person Kevyne-Shandris was responding to made a generalisation saying 'men talk about tits/ass, women talk about dicks'.

So if you want to say 'you don't speak for all men/women' go to the OP. If you don't, you're just being a hypocrite.
    Ok. Some men speak about tits and ass. Some women speak about dicks. Some gay men talk about dicks, some lesbian women talk about tits. Some bi-people talk about both. Some non-binary and trans people also talk about both.

Is that better? Because I'm pretty sure you and everyone else very much understood what I meant with my first post, except you still decided to go down that route.

To those who are crying out for everyone tenuously linked to be cancelled - stop it. Sure, if anyone actually carried out a sexual assault then go after them, but for "banter" in a facebook group or some lame tweets - get a life.

Stop trying to punish people for having a life and work buddies just because you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Again, only my part cause editing on a phone is a pain!

Yes that is my logic, no one speaks for anyone in this forum. The same way you can’t put words in people’s mouths so that your anecdotal evidence is more important than actual evidence (hint, it’s not). The person you quoted stated a very well known fact (https://towardsdatascience.com/is-th...c-6051dff3a041). You can easily ignore what I say, this a discussion forum. It’s your choice to have a discussion or throw accusations with nothing to back them except your feelings.
    This doesn’t mean that gender discrimination doesn’t exist. Our analysis just shows that, at the aggregate level, most of the gap is not explained by gender discrimination.
    I don't believe everything is explained away by gender discrimination either. BUT, it does exist.

You signed a contract, so that is what you must do. We are on the same page, there is no confusion on this.
    But why would you sign it if there was something in there you didn't like?
    Like I said, try taking that attitude in finance for example, and see how that roles out for you.

Work life balance is absolutely a focus, but not in the hard and fast way you try and paint it. If there's work to do, there's work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Ok. Some men speak about tits and ass. Some women speak about dicks. Some gay men talk about dicks, some lesbian women talk about tits. Some bi-people talk about both. Some non-binary and trans people also talk about both.

Is that better? Because I'm pretty sure you and everyone else very much understood what I meant with my first post, except you still decided to go down that route.
    For context, I didn't come after you. I see what you're saying. But that aside, the bigger issue at hand is that talking about it amongst your own gender does not create a permission structure for the opposite sex to discuss it openly. It's a simple case of boundaries. Someone's wife for example can find the comfort to discuss their menstrual cycle with their husband, but that doesn't mean they're going to fly out the door and chat about it with their male colleague. It's not rocket science. So factor that into the notion of 'everyone talks about something'. Yes, but not to EVERYONE.

Equality is great. Attacking competency hierarchy is bad idea.

For context, I didn't come after you. I see what you're saying. But that aside, the bigger issue at hand is that talking about it amongst your own gender does not create a permission structure for the opposite sex to discuss it openly. It's a simple case of boundaries. Someone's wife for example can find the comfort to discuss their menstrual cycle with their husband, but that doesn't mean they're going to fly out the door and chat about it with their male colleague. It's not rocket science. So factor that into the notion of 'everyone talks about something'. Yes, but not to EVERYONE.
    When I said women talk about it I meant between themselves. I guess I should've clarified that but still. It's like how 3-4 guys can talk about it in private, so can 3-4 women do that in private aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    When I said women talk about it I meant between themselves.
    I know dude.

What I'm saying is some people will run with that and go 'WHY CAN'T I DISCUSS TITS AND ASS IN PUBLIC IF THEY DISCUSS DICKS IN PRIVATE?'

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    Worker participation in oversight of hiring and promotion policies.

KEKW
    Yeap, that is like, too much. Unions can do that representing them I guess tho.

Like I said, try taking that attitude in finance for example, and see how that roles out for you.

Work life balance is absolutely a focus, but not in the hard and fast way you try and paint it. If there's work to do, there's work to do.
    You have shitty laws. Ok, too bad.
    But what part of: don't like it, don't sign it, is too difficult to understand? No one can bitch after the fact if they have signed a contract.

I know dude.

What I'm saying is some people will run with that and go 'WHY CAN'T I DISCUSS TITS AND ASS IN PUBLIC IF THEY DISCUSS DICKS IN PRIVATE?'
    Well that's different. But this discussion is about doing it in private only. Since the screenshot in question is private. Obviously doing it in public can make people uncomfortable.

Edit: Rather, the screenshot WAS private. I really wonder how it got leaked.

I know dude.

A group chat is hardly public. Unless someone leaks it.