Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just fire those employes and hire those who can actually work for the game rather than making noises. Hire china people, they can work silently and deliver in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    oh yes, when you have nothing to say say that someone is burning

first rule of argument in 2005

- - - Updated - - -

can't imagine sane person can say some shitty "cultural" things are ok and some not in a single sentence))))
    1. Same guy who just kept saying KEK followed by a load of uneducated crap.

2. It's called pragmatism. Working longer hours within reason is understandable. Working ungodly hours is not. Big difference.

And I think that's the main issue. People like yourself think everything is black and white, unless it applies to yourself. Then it's a different ruleset.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Just fire those employes and hire those who can actually work for the game rather than making noises. Hire china people, they can work silently and deliver in time.
    So you have inside info about the culture on chinese workplaces?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    I avoid getting familiar with people I'm working with to my own detriment. Too much of a minefield. Even the most wholesome workplace romance can turn sour in the blink of an eye.

I also fully empathise with the excessively cautious men that go above and beyond not to create any situation where the slightest appearance of misconduct can take place. Like always keeping their door open when there's a woman in their office, no meetups or lunches with women outside of work, chaperones, keeping a paper trail etc.

Within the current environment, ambiguity is exposure, exposure is leverage, and a leveraged career is a dead career.
    That's a pretty extreme take, because it's making a blanket assumption that women are some devious folk looking to take advantage of a guy.

Which is statistically untrue, given less than like 8% of sexual harassment claims are fabricated.

So what I'm saying is...moderation. Yes, boundaries are essential. Whether men are cautious are not. Or whether women are cautious or not.

I've been to lunch with female colleagues, but you keep a sensible set of boundaries. Not that anything has ever happened, but you just be smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    1. Same guy who just kept saying KEK followed by a load of uneducated crap.

2. It's called pragmatism. Working longer hours within reason is understandable. Working ungodly hours is not. Big difference.

And I think that's the main issue. People like yourself think everything is black and white, unless it applies to yourself. Then it's a different ruleset.
    ye, ye

you are calling b. culture bad and I'm your calling your workplace culture bad

but for you everything is black and white, unless it applies yourself))))

This is absolutely ridiculous. I have no love for Blizzard anymore but at this point this is just an attempt to screw them over.

At least now they have demands and not just protesting for the sake of it.

It´s still stupid, employees have NO say in any of what they are demanding. If Blizzards gives them this power, they better close down, because they will be ruined. As if anyone with a brain cell would give a bunch of leftist, woke workers any say in a hiring process or company policies.
    Seriously, just fire them, to hell with the bad press, get rid of them and move the headquaters out of the ruined state of california.

They have become to big anyway, it´s better for them to get back to a more smaller company.

Also, it shouldn´t come as a surprise that Afrasiabi is a di*khead. He is gone now so cheers. The whole Cosby room thing is a non story. Most of the lawsuit is based on accusations and not proof, there won´t be coming much of it, though I doubt there will be any justice considering the laws of the state. People coming out after 8 years with some stories are not trustworthy to begin with. It´s funny to see people jumping to conclusions and dooming the whole company because of some idiots. That of course is so reasonable.

Ah well, let the company burn. Maybe something good comes out of it. This entitled little sh*ts who work there need to learn some lessons though, I hope they will be out of job sooner than later.

Weird to think some people are worried that this is a losing battle in a culture war.

That rabbit hole sure is deep over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    I avoid getting familiar with people I'm working with to my own detriment. Too much of a minefield. Even the most wholesome workplace romance can turn sour in the blink of an eye.

I also fully empathise with the excessively cautious men that go above and beyond not to create any situation where the slightest appearance of misconduct can take place. Like always keeping their door open when there's a woman in their office, no meetups or lunches with women outside of work, chaperones, keeping a paper trail etc.

Within the current environment, ambiguity is exposure, exposure is leverage, and a leveraged career is a dead career.
    This, and I have seen it happen. And tbh, I just don't engage with women the same way I do with men at work, they might feel a bit ignored, but I try not to shit where I eat. Relationship (if it leads to that, not even romance/flirting) is heavy business, it's destined to have an ugly phase, and if it breaks in the midst of it, and she's a colleague,..
    You cant bro the same way with women, it's too much feelings for both parts.

ye, ye

you are calling b. culture bad and I'm your calling your workplace culture bad

but for you everything is black and white, unless it applies yourself))))
    So wait, just so I have this clear.

You think there's an equivalence between me working potentially 40-45 hours a week and sexual harassment at Blizzard?

You think it's wrong that I said, 'the culture of working extra hours by 10 hours in total per week is acceptable out of pragmatism, but the culture of sexual harassment is not acceptable?'

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Are these people salaried or do they work for a wage? What country is this?

The more general point is the entire purpose of a salary i.e. fixed restitution (at least in the anglosphere) is to mitigate as much as possible having to pay overtime at all or at higher rates mandated by law.
    Salary agreed at a monthly rate. Overtime pay would also fluctuate a bit froma month to another based on the number of working days of that particular month since it had to be broken down into hourly rate for the given month.

At least from what I remember.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-07-29 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    A job is a job. You are advocating for having over 10,000 people lose their job. Do you not understand that? All because what, 3-4 people were shit heads out of enough co-workers that would be make up an entire city. I bet you were on your soap box screaming defund the police too amirite?

You don't know shit. You haven't seen shit. The reports arent out yet. Did you work at blizz? How do you know people were worked to utter physical and mental exhaustion? Do you think said programmers and developers came into the gaming industry and werent aware of the insane crunch that comes with it from EVERY COMPANY IN GAMING? Do you really dont think this wasnt covered when interviewed? Were these same people forced to accept the job?

And you dont know who was passed up for what. I work in management for a pretty big construction company. I have been approached about raises (i have no authority to give them out). Some people that approached me were people with the company two whole months. Other people wanted to be promoted from a helper (total green employee) to a damned forman after 8 months rofl! You would not believe the asinine requests that would come across my bosses desk. In my industry, people get raises frequently, normally at the end of jobs before going onto the next.

You have zero clue who is pissy because they got passed up for legitimately reasons or those that were deserving. There is no law saying person a, b, or c is owed a promotion anywhere. Thats what is great about free will. Get passed up and you hate it, go to another company. Roll out on them. People promote friends , family, and others all the time over people deserving. It happens literally everywhere, no matter what industry.

You better boycott gaming as a whole. While you are at it dont shop at walmarts, amazon, movie theaters, car dealerships, and any other place that has more than 1 employee. Better yet, go build you a wood shack and live off the land if you want to show the world that getting passed up for a promotion makes people evil.
    That sure is a big disjointed rant that totally ignores the core of just a small post.

Don't use me as your hitching post to dump your angst. At the end of the day, the things I listed are totally valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    That sure is a big disjointed rant that totally ignores the core of just a small post.

Don't use me as your hitching post to dump your angst. At the end of the day, the things I listed are totally valid.
    He's basically just in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Except it was a year before the world knew about Cosby.

How about that.

How about that.
    And that's the thing. The 'joke' continued after 2014 as well, which means they had an inkling about how it would be perceived.

But even with the entire Cosby thing in mind - and lets assume it was a harmless joke - it's still not okay for sexual harassment to occur at a workplace. So for everyone screaming 'OMG WOKE! COSBY IS JUST A JOKE! GET OVER IT!', the Cosby thing isn't the core issue at hand.

How about that.
    How about what? I see stupid jokes. Friends and colleagues do that you know.

So wait, just so I have this clear.

You think there's an equivalence between me working potentially 40-45 hours a week and sexual harassment at Blizzard?

You think it's wrong that I said, 'the culture of working extra hours by 10 hours in total per week is acceptable out of pragmatism, but the culture of sexual harassment is not acceptable?'
    for me it's abusing manpower one way or another, that's all

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    How about what? I see stupid jokes. Friends and colleagues do that you know.
    Read what it is in response to and you might find the answer for yourself.

It's like magic.

How about that.
    I’m genuinely confused what this is supposed to prove?

Are we gonna also ignore that a women was joking about it?

And that's the thing. The 'joke' continued after 2014 as well, which means they had an inkling about how it would be perceived.

But even with the entire Cosby thing in mind - and lets assume it was a harmless joke - it's still not okay for sexual harassment to occur at a workplace. So for everyone screaming 'OMG WOKE! COSBY IS JUST A JOKE! GET OVER IT!', the Cosby thing isn't the core issue at hand.
    I don't take issue personally with that shit, I am merely defying the false claims that they didn't know anything about it because "it was in 2013, almost nobody knew before 2014."

Well, here it is in 2014 as a haha-funny injoke.

Do with it what you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I’m genuinely confused what this is supposed to prove?

Are we gonna also ignore that a women was joking about it?
    Yes, people are ignoring that, which irks me. It's because she claims to be a victim of it all and pressured into it, and misled by somebody she trusted and had a lot of respect for, and naturally because she's a woman, people will buy into it.

for me it's abusing manpower one way or another, that's all
    Are you aware of what 'it's relative' means? Working extra hours is NOWHERE as bad as sexual abuse. One is far more egregious than the other.

Please grow up. You've either had no exposure to the real world, or you've ignored the existence of it.