Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down The Inventory and Bag System Needs an Overhaul

Hello Azerothians,

I am sure I am not the only who probably thought of this for a while but I believe that the Bag and Inventory management system really needs to be taken a look at and either revamped/designed.

First of, let's look at the few flaws that it has.

1 - As expansions and patches came out items such as Artifact Knowledge, Azerite Power, Anima Power and now Ancient Catalogue its quite clear that due to all the new systems these items are required to be in your inventory system to be converted over to your systems currencies and end up taking up a lot of bag space that was not there originally prior to Legion. This is where this trend started and is now causing a big inventory issue.

2 - People like to farm old stuff (including me) running old raids to sell gear, collect mounts, pets and of course xmog also takes up space when the item has NOT be collected yet into your collections tab and if you are full 9n inventory from the stuff previously mentioned in point 1 then thats a problem. You'll be forced to delete something.

3 - Despite having 32 slot bags, the amount of stuff a player gets clottered up these days is astounding. Vendor junk, power currencies mentioned above, and of course crafting materials that are worth multiple expansions now on top of the Shadowlands legendary crafting

4 - Yes, I am aware there is a bank, you can make a good as amule and there is a reagents bank. But let's be real here, the bank also needs a revamp or some sort of an update or additional new bank slots to buy. This hasn't been updated since vanilla and in modern WoW I believe a while massive revamp of entire inventory, bag and bank system really needs to have a serious look at sometime very soon, otherwise its starting to become really annoying and I do not want to waste time playing inventory management when I could be killing bosses in Mythic + and getting gear.

How would you fix the inventory system?

I don't think adding bigger slot bags would fix the problem personally. Something else needs to be done in additiona to bigger bag size. Yes I know, blizzard has a collections tab, and thats amazing and was a great change, but it made sense for mounts, pets and xmog. Perhaps they can do something new and interesting for the inventory as well.

Thoughts?

There is nothing needed to be done. You being a packrat is on you, not the game.

Yeah I can honestly say that among my many, many complaints with the game - this was not one of them.

Inventory and Bank management is fine. Addons like Bagnon are a godsend for organizing. Thanks to how they do transmog now, you no longer need to keep old sets of gear.

If you want to experience a real pain in inventory management look at FFXIV. It's awful.

The reason you get anima, artifact knowledge and other things in your bag instead of straight up added to your currency tab is not the bag system, it's that if it goes straight to your tab, it often feels like you got no reward. They've had some of the older systems from legion and onwards pop straight into where they are supposed to be, look at your neck from BFA for instance, but looting that empty box at the end of your M+ run or doing a daily and nothing shows up feels worse than clicking a button to empty out your bags.
    Previous system: I played a whole day, got nothing for it....
    Now: I played the whole day, got no good stuff but let me empty out that anima, ohhh, 3214 anima, pretty close to that new mog!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northelim View Post
    Hello Azerothians,

I am sure I am not the only who probably thought of this for a while but I believe that the Bag and Inventory management system really needs to be taken a look at and either revamped/designed.

First of, let's look at the few flaws that it has.

1 - As expansions and patches came out items such as Artifact Knowledge, Azerite Power, Anima Power and now Ancient Catalogue its quite clear that due to all the new systems these items are required to be in your inventory system to be converted over to your systems currencies and end up taking up a lot of bag space that was not there originally prior to Legion. This is where this trend started and is now causing a big inventory issue.

2 - People like to farm old stuff (including me) running old raids to sell gear, collect mounts, pets and of course xmog also takes up space when the item has NOT be collected yet into your collections tab and if you are full 9n inventory from the stuff previously mentioned in point 1 then thats a problem. You'll be forced to delete something.

3 - Despite having 32 slot bags, the amount of stuff a player gets clottered up these days is astounding. Vendor junk, power currencies mentioned above, and of course crafting materials that are worth multiple expansions now on top of the Shadowlands legendary crafting

4 - Yes, I am aware there is a bank, you can make a good as amule and there is a reagents bank. But let's be real here, the bank also needs a revamp or some sort of an update or additional new bank slots to buy. This hasn't been updated since vanilla and in modern WoW I believe a while massive revamp of entire inventory, bag and bank system really needs to have a serious look at sometime very soon, otherwise its starting to become really annoying and I do not want to waste time playing inventory management when I could be killing bosses in Mythic + and getting gear.

How would you fix the inventory system?

I don't think adding bigger slot bags would fix the problem personally. Something else needs to be done in additiona to bigger bag size. Yes I know, blizzard has a collections tab, and thats amazing and was a great change, but it made sense for mounts, pets and xmog. Perhaps they can do something new and interesting for the inventory as well.

Thoughts?
    There's plenty of space, though wouldn't mind a second reagent tab in the bank.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The only thing I can agree with is that I'd like a 2nd tab for the reagent bank. Other than that, there's a lot of room ever since the great item purge of the appearance tab.

I use Arkinventory to organize my bags, and its absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zubatron View Post
    Inventory and Bank management is fine. Addons like Bagnon are a godsend for organizing. Thanks to how they do transmog now, you no longer need to keep old sets of gear.

If you want to experience a real pain in inventory management look at FFXIV. It's awful.
    The FFXIV thing is facts. It's so bad. I think they know it, but not sure, I'm fairly new over there.

10+ Year Old Account
    a problem with wow is that everyone thinks X needs an overhaul. no it doesn't

there is a reagent bank? daaaamn...what uh.. what transmogs do you collect that you dont unlock the appearance for upon looting the item? (or equipping it)

i agree that the anima power items can be kinda stupid and i have a shit ton of cooking/enchanting reagents from SL ill never use but i dont find it hard to find room for most my other shit.. honestly i keep thunderfury on my warrior at all times cause im a badass and i was looking in my first bag and i have some fucking thing from wod that has been there.. since wod. I like to keep my first bag and last bag full at all times with worthless shit in the first bag and all my offset gear in the last bag. cant stand the giant square inventory like bagnon
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    The FFXIV thing is facts. It's so bad. I think they know it, but not sure, I'm fairly new over there.
    I read it's due to a lot of back end issues with the way their servers utilize item space.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    There's plenty of space, though wouldn't mind a second reagent tab in the bank.
    I mean going on 17 years of WoW and I have yet to use my bank for anything but the Halloween costumes and pumpkins. Everything else gets used and/or deleted.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Resouce Bank maybe could do with an expansion at some point, but other than that the new Transmog System (which isn't even new anymore) fixed most of everyone's bag space issues. Since you may now safely sell/DE gear without losing its apperance.

- - - Updated - - -

I read it's due to a lot of back end issues with the way their servers utilize item space.
    Their space limitations are back-end spaghetti code, yeah.

But I will say they also have a problem of too damn many crafting mats that are only used in one recipe but you keep them anyway because "well what if I do decide to become a cullinarian?"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

same with wow. They couldn't increase the 16 slot starter bag as it was hardcoded into the game and changing it would break a lot of other stuff. They did change it later with the authenticator 4 slots, but thats probably something added ontop, not actually changed the 16 slot

It took them 15 years to increase backpack size. I don't see any chance for a massive rework.

7+ Year Old Account
    But let's be real here, the bank also needs a revamp or some sort of an update or additional new bank slots to buy.
    What on earth are you people hoarding in there that 252 bank slots including a 98 slot reagent tab is not enough?

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    It took them 15 years to increase backpack size. I don't see any chance for a massive rework.
    Yup. Imagine being a multi billion dollar company and not knowing how to increase backpack size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    I mean going on 17 years of WoW and I have yet to use my bank for anything but the Halloween costumes and pumpkins. Everything else gets used and/or deleted.
    Oh, there is a lot in my bank. Anything from roleplay items to unobtainable items, and limited items. I still have space in it, though.

But my reagent tab is always full. Every expansion end it is cleaned out and filled up fast again in a new expansion.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

You do realize that you don't have to keep the items to xmog them right?