Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How would you feel about Demon Hunters getting a "Night Warrior" spec?

Tyrande was always one of my favorite WC3 characters, and since becoming the "Night Warrior", escalated right back up... honestly, probably at the very top of the currently "living" characters. I still think it's fucked that Sylvanas beat her in a 1v1 fight, but given some of the stuff we're learning about Elune (and how she willingly let the Night Elves die, perhaps even playing some part in causing Teldrassil to burn), I feel like Tyrande is rife for a REAL comeback!

Now, I'm not going to pretend that "Oh, Tyrande dual-wields glaives, SHE MUST BE A DEMON HUNTER!", because she clearly never has been. However, given what little we know of the "Night Warrior", and the fact that once Tyrande learns the truth about Elune, I imagine she is going to retire as a Priestess, I could honestly see her becoming a "Demon Hunter" of sorts.

Right now, Demon Hunters are kind of a unique class in that they're the only class who really only has a *SINGLE* origin point. What I mean is that, where most classes are more general "archetypes" that can expand or be redefined, Demon Hunters are quite literally "Illidan clones". And their entire existence is "fighting the Burning Legion". NOTHING else.

By broadening the scope of what a "Demon Hunter" could be, I could see Tyande maybe serving as the basis of a new form of Demon Hunter. One that perhaps doesn't just hunt literal "demons", but one that seeks out their own "personal demons", as well. In Tyrande's case, I could see her turning on Elune, forcibly reclaiming the powers of the "Night Warrior", vowing to outlaw the worship of Elune and even "learn to kill a god" should she ever cross paths with Elune in the future.

HOW THIS MIGHT LOOK IN-GAME:

Since we already have "Vengeance" and "Havoc", I would call this new spec "Wrath". Instead of wielding fel-flame, instead it would use the cold, arcane light of the Endless Dark (ie. "space"). It would be another DPS spec, but one I envision with more "ranged" or AoE focus. Much as we saw Tyrande "smite" Nathanos's dogs in the pre-Shadowlands cinematic, I would maybe try to envision this spec as one that operates MOSTLY at a range, but once you build up your resources, you can rush into melee-range for a burst of damage, then fall back to a range (sort of like the "Red Mage" from FFXIV).

I feel like that would be a relatively unique playstyle anyways, and one that also aligns with what we've seen of Tyrande as the "Night Warrior".

I dunno, thoughts? Something else you would envision for a DH spec? Think the "Night Warrior" could warrant an entirely new class, or not at all?

I do think demon hunters should have a ranged spec. I think anything that puts even more focus on Tyrande, Thrall, Anduin, Sylvanas and the "main cast" is a bad idea, at this point.

(Also imprison Tyrande, justice for the Watchers)

Hah, Blizzard adding more things to 'fuck' with their 'balance'.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

I think if class skins would ever become a thing, Night Warrior is natural candidate for night elf DH skin. This was discussed in another thread already.

I think third spec is definitely needed for DH, but I'd stick with the basic DH fantasy and reserve other concepts for potential skins.

I can see Vengeance being the spec about empowering itself through absorbed demon powers, then having one dps spec centering more around combination of chaos magic and melee combat (havoc) and the other being more about "uncorrupted DH" style of bladedancer. Havoc could stay as potent cleave DPS with solid selfheals, and Bladedancer could be more single target spec with best mobility and evasions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It'd be interesting to have a ranged spec for DH's based on the Night Warrior aesthetic, but the major problem I could foresee would be to try to explain it for Blood Elven DH's. Otherwise, you'd be creating a faction-restricted class specialization which could cause some major issues with essential class balance.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

demon hunters and night warriors are polar opposites.

one eternally tries to keep a demon they ate contained, the other voluntarily submits to be wholly consumed by possession.

night warriors sounds like something demon hunters would hunt. the very idea of a night warrior is the ultimate failure for a demon hunter.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-07-29 at 02:50 PM.

DH should not get a 3rd spec. Simply because I like there being 36 specs and 12 classes in the game. DHs offset the imbalance brought by druids.

And if they got one, their spec must be MoP Demo WL.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    It'd be interesting to have a ranged spec for DH's based on the Night Warrior aesthetic, but the major problem I could foresee would be to try to explain it for Blood Elven DH's. Otherwise, you'd be creating a faction-restricted class specialization which could cause some major issues with essential class balance.
    Given how the games been going... ANY class getting added is cause for major issues with balance.

Personally I'd rather they just lay this night warrior bit to rest and never bring it up again looking at how this ridiculous power boost was used for the story and the horrible risks and side effects were rather easily handled... but that's not gameplay related. In general I'm against more speccs/classes in the current version of wow mostly due to the mess of the existing 30+ variations of the classes already being wonky enough to keep tabs on.

I would rather forget the night warrior for the moronic plot it is and give them a fel flavored range spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    No! Just no! They should get another spec but it should not be night warrior! They use fel magic not divine magic!
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    demon hunters and night warriors are polar opposites.

one eternally tries to keep a demon they ate contained, the other voluntarily submits to be wholly consumed by possession.

night warriors sounds like something demon hunters would hunt. the very idea of a night warrior is the ultimate failure for a demon hunter.
    I agree with this, honestly this just sounds like a demon hunter thinking something belongs to them. Akin to a hunter thinking everything is hunter loot, when it makes no damned sense for a hunter to have it.

Makes more sense as a fourth warrior spec like a dual wield caster, single-minded fury but with spells.

Or a fifth druid spec with no shapeshifting, just dual wield melee caster like DKs.

Night Warrior as a Class skin would be a better idea. Completely separate Class identity, but based on the same basic gameplay as a DH.

Doesn't really fit in with Blood Elves imo

No more melee spec please

This is a bad idea from a lore perspective and you should feel bad for thinking it. The entire point of the night warrior is that Elune's wrath is so great is eventually consumes the user. It already cheapened the Night Warrior "saving" Tryande from it. This just does that further. And the Night warrior itself isn't anything that demands a whole class based around it or even a spec.

All you're doing is taking Elune's lore and DH lore and fucking both of them because of this weird almost fetishistic obsession that people have with all classes having to have 3 for whatever dumb reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I feel like a 2h fel melee dps spec would be cooler and better fitting of DHs.
    Elune doesn't have jack shit to do with taking in demon power - Elune isn't a demon, her power isn't Fel.
    2h's are generally perceived as heavy/slow weapons. Not really in line with the agile magic based fighter DH's are. Maybe if you go the staff route like a monk kind of aesthetic, but meh.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

well it be nice for the night elves, i guess but what about the blood elves, alittle odd for them no? plus the night warrior plot was pretty much abandoned.

Eh, seems a bit of a stretch to me, personally.

Felt like the Night Warrior thing was a way to bring in NE Paladins, honestly. Still do.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    2h's are generally perceived as heavy/slow weapons. Not really in line with the agile magic based fighter DH's are. Maybe if you go the staff route like a monk kind of aesthetic, but meh.
    really depends on a lot of flavor fantasy. blademasters are like warriors/rogue/shaman/monk depending on the time frame looked at with most named ones being 2h wielding masters that ripped off a martial arts trope or three.

The reason I think people might push this on DH is the 2h scythe wielding npc shown early on in legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Not all 2h weapons are slow: look at Druids, Monks, Hunters (and, if you can count them, Shaman of old). There are plenty of old weapons from the launch of the game even that had AGI on them.
    eh.... the best 2h's were all slow in the game mechanics and that idea still pervades everything. With teh exception of druids that never used the melee weapon as part of attacks (altered form melee specific to form used instead... carried weapon was just for show). Also stat allocation on pre-cataclysm goods was a whole different ballgame because stats just worked diffrently. A warrior or paladin would still want agility for crit and armor.

Better position to argue would be solely from the class fantasy angle and discuss characters like Grom Hellscream, Mankrik, Samuro, Jubei'thos, and Lantressor... all the same 2h class somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Tyrande was always one of my favorite WC3 characters, and since becoming the "Night Warrior", escalated right back up... honestly, probably at the very top of the currently "living" characters. I still think it's fucked that Sylvanas beat her in a 1v1 fight, but given some of the stuff we're learning about Elune (and how she willingly let the Night Elves die, perhaps even playing some part in causing Teldrassil to burn), I feel like Tyrande is rife for a REAL comeback!

Now, I'm not going to pretend that "Oh, Tyrande dual-wields glaives, SHE MUST BE A DEMON HUNTER!", because she clearly never has been. However, given what little we know of the "Night Warrior", and the fact that once Tyrande learns the truth about Elune, I imagine she is going to retire as a Priestess, I could honestly see her becoming a "Demon Hunter" of sorts.

Right now, Demon Hunters are kind of a unique class in that they're the only class who really only has a *SINGLE* origin point. What I mean is that, where most classes are more general "archetypes" that can expand or be redefined, Demon Hunters are quite literally "Illidan clones". And their entire existence is "fighting the Burning Legion". NOTHING else.

By broadening the scope of what a "Demon Hunter" could be, I could see Tyande maybe serving as the basis of a new form of Demon Hunter. One that perhaps doesn't just hunt literal "demons", but one that seeks out their own "personal demons", as well. In Tyrande's case, I could see her turning on Elune, forcibly reclaiming the powers of the "Night Warrior", vowing to outlaw the worship of Elune and even "learn to kill a god" should she ever cross paths with Elune in the future.

HOW THIS MIGHT LOOK IN-GAME:

Since we already have "Vengeance" and "Havoc", I would call this new spec "Wrath". Instead of wielding fel-flame, instead it would use the cold, arcane light of the Endless Dark (ie. "space"). It would be another DPS spec, but one I envision with more "ranged" or AoE focus. Much as we saw Tyrande "smite" Nathanos's dogs in the pre-Shadowlands cinematic, I would maybe try to envision this spec as one that operates MOSTLY at a range, but once you build up your resources, you can rush into melee-range for a burst of damage, then fall back to a range (sort of like the "Red Mage" from FFXIV).

I feel like that would be a relatively unique playstyle anyways, and one that also aligns with what we've seen of Tyrande as the "Night Warrior".

I dunno, thoughts? Something else you would envision for a DH spec? Think the "Night Warrior" could warrant an entirely new class, or not at all?
    Would rather just have them split momentum and demonic, because if they add a third both of them wont be viable within havoc at the same time. Remove meta and some more abilities that are more demonic for a momentum spec...give them more momentum and slashing abilities and its own big cooldown and have them be more like empowered base form demon hunters while demonic spec is meta focused.

Or i've always thought Warden would be nice if they ever did a third spec, they are one of the most closely tied to demon hunters and although they were enemies I thought it could be a fitting third spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.