Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    If that's what you get out of that, it says more about you than your assumptions about me. It the early days of the internet, it was generally far more accessible around large learning institutions. So yeah, I guess you can get upset if I make a connection between lack of education and generally poor behavior, but that has nothing to do with money.
    lol, look at you getting all defensive. Early days of the Internet were a wild west with minimal restrictions on all kinds of content, many of which would now be considered dark Web material. So don't know where you're coming from with educated and accessibility... but nice disparaging comment on the "uneducated trash" of which many didn't have access to.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-07-30 at 09:05 PM.

They should change his name to American McGee

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    They should change his name to American McGee
    That's just terrible...

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now, I don't think there's quite enough to rename the character and/or remove other McCree references, but I could see it happening if worse stuff comes out about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    That's just terrible...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_McGee This is what it would be referencing. Although I doubt you could just give him the same name but im not a lawyer

If they are going to rename him, please rename him Jesse McReeeeeeee.

But no, being in a silly picture is not a reason to rename anyone. If they do, then half of the blizzard references in any of their game needs to be removed.

World, please shape up.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    lol, look at you getting all defensive. Early days of the Internet were a wild west with minimal restrictions on all kinds of content, many of which would now be considered dark Web material. So don't know where you're coming from with educated and accessibility... but nice disparaging comment on the "uneducated trash" of which many didn't have access to.
    Not getting defensive, just responding to someone who didn't know what he was talking about. I'm guessing you received the internet in the last year or two though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Not getting defensive, just responding to someone who didn't know what he was talking about. I'm guessing you received the internet in the last year or two though.
    I've been around computers since the Atari 2600, and the net since the mid 90s tyvm.

I doubt it, he's too established and there will be sizable amount of people who will take offense if he's removed/name-changed. And I'm not even talking about those who don't care about what's going on at Blizzard, rather those who have some sense of proportion left in this madness. Blizzard needs a culture change and to penalize those who transgressed. McCree is an actual important lore-character, not the same as WoW's items and characters referencing Afrasiabi, removing or name-changing him doesn't achieve anything of worth. It's on the same level as wanting to cancel Henry Cavill for once dating Gina Carano.

Also, did the developer-McCree actually do anything but say a line of dialogue in a group chat that seems to have been largely misunderstood? Seriously, if they were jokingly talking about Afrasiabi's wife and a friend in a private chat that's not that different to how ordinary group of friends talk with each other in a private conversation. Yes it's uncouth, but ffs you can't demand people not to relax a bit among friends. Inside jokes can sound terrible out of context. Afrasiabi seems to have done actual terrible things, but so far I haven't seen dev-McCree to have done anything but maybe enable him a bit.

Even if it turns out he's done something of actual note I still think they should leave the OW-character as he is. Jesse McCree, the cowboy, is his own character rather than gamification of one of Blizzard's devs.

Rename him Marston and be done with it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viconia View Post
    I doubt it, he's too established and there will be sizable amount of people who will take offense if he's removed/name-changed. And I'm not even talking about those who don't care about what's going on at Blizzard, rather those who have some sense of proportion left in this madness. Blizzard needs a culture change and to penalize those who transgressed. McCree is an actual important lore-character, not the same as WoW's items and characters referencing Afrasiabi, removing or name-changing him doesn't achieve anything of worth. It's on the same level as wanting to cancel Henry Cavill for once dating Gina Carano.

Also, did the developer-McCree actually do anything but say a line of dialogue in a group chat that seems to have been largely misunderstood? Seriously, if they were jokingly talking about Afrasiabi's wife and a friend in a private chat that's not that different to how ordinary group of friends talk with each other in a private conversation. Yes it's uncouth, but ffs you can't demand people not to relax a bit among friends. Inside jokes can sound terrible out of context. Afrasiabi seems to have done actual terrible things, but so far I haven't seen dev-McCree to have done anything but maybe enable him a bit.

Even if it turns out he's done something of actual note I still think they should leave the OW-character as he is. Jesse McCree, the cowboy, is his own character rather than gamification of one of Blizzard's devs.
    There is 0% chance he was talking about the other dudes wife. As a married man, those would be fighting words

That’s just some bs excuse ghostcrawler threw out without even reading the chat because there is no chance that’s about dudes own wife. None at all

Rename the character in Ow2

I'm indifferent. I didn't know that McCree was named after a Blizzard employee. I dislike that sort of thing, generally - but the character has been known as Jesse McCree since the game's debut and suddenly changing it would feel like a knee jerk reaction.

I'm expecting it to happen, though - when caught out in a scandal, we've seen companies double down on questionable decisions meant to invoke a feeling of 'justice'.

Are we really talking about renaming Mccree because of "You misspelled fuck"? Are we really talking about cancelling people for one sentence in a private chat?
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

I doubt they'll rename him lorewise, I guess he could take on a pseudonym like Reaper etc (Gunslinger or something).

My guess is if anything they'll do a "special epsiode" where McCree will make it clear he thinks Sexual Harassment is bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    Are we really talking about renaming Mccree because of "You misspelled fuck"? Are we really talking about cancelling people for one sentence in a private chat?
    I think it's less to do with that one sentence and more the overall horrifying treatment of Women at Blizzard as a whole and burning out any participates of said treatment.

and what exactly has he done ????

wait i know it

NOTHING

yeah lets cancel people for nothing. next steps are chambers

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I'm down for McMercer

- - - Updated - - -

They renamed the Redskins and many other teams and characters. They can do the same for McCree
    Mcmcerer sounds like a fucking mcdonalds meal.

Matt Mercenary seems best imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    and what exactly has he done ????

wait i know it

NOTHING

yeah lets cancel people for nothing. next steps are chambers
    the dude was part of the cobsy suite, that is what was done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    because he took part in the cosby suite, that is why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

They rename streets all the time here in Canada because someone got offended by its name. Also, football is in the process of renaming the Washington Redskins which I'm sure would cost a hell of a lot more than changing the name of a character in a video game.

- - - Updated - - -

Look what happened to "Roseanne" with her new version of the Roseanne show. If they can kick out the main character and still continue the show because of something the real person actually did then they would have no problem removing a computer characters name. If only to appease the SJWs.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Mcmcerer sounds like a fucking mcdonalds meal.

Matt Mercenary seems best imo.

- - - Updated - - -

the dude was part of the cobsy suite, that is what was done.

- - - Updated - - -

because he took part in the cosby suite, that is why.
    cool he was part of something almost 10years ago

this is so dumb

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    cool he was part of something almost 10years ago

this is so dumb
    And he never said anything about it, that still makes him bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

I wonder if the same people outraged by this are equally eager to see Madeline Roux punished for her part in indulging in sexist and racist discrimination and volatile attacks over Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    I like this yellow styling of the overwatch pages on the website, looks so much better than the others.

Imagine being offended by a imaginary character’s name, so odd to me. Blizzard will probably cave though.
    They already have. Everything named after Alex Afrasiabi, from the Great Fras Siabi in Stratholme to Foror's Autograph from AV to Tigole and Foror's Ice Cream to the npcs in Stormwind are gone.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.