Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Don't they blow up the planet Arrakis in Chapterhouse? The Matre or whatever. Then they take like one worm and reverse engineer it to sand trout. I vaguely remember all this happening in Chapterhouse.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-08-01 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't they blow up the planet Arrakis in Chapterhouse? The Matre or whatever. Then they take like one worm and reverse engineer it to sand trout. I vaguely remember all this happening in Chapterhouse.
    Yes, they scorch it with nukes or something like that after the BG left with one worm or maybe two.

This looks like a good version of dune. It has a good cast and a good director. I am not really excited about it. I like the old David Lynch version a lot especially the extended edition. I felt the older one has a better cast. I like the style and atmosphere of the David Lynch movie more. I'll watch this version of it and I will probably enjoy it but I don't think I will like it more.
    I think it is probably going to bomb financially but will be a good movie.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2021-08-01 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    This looks like a good version of dune. It has a good cast and a good director. I am not really excited about it. I like the old David Lynch version a lot especially the extended edition. I felt the older one has a better cast. I like the style and atmosphere of the David Lynch movie more. I'll watch this version of it and I will probably enjoy it but I don't think I will like it more.
    I don't know if this will bomb, but I don't think it will do particularly well. This will not warrant anything more than this one movie either.

It was never gonna have a follow-up anyway. But after the HBO Max issue and the profile of the cast raised; there is no way this can be positioned beyond this one movie.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-08-01 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Everyone always pans the David Lynch Dune, but it has a special place in my heart. I just kind of like it, even though it goes way off the books and does plenty of silly stuff. It's just got... something about it that I enjoy.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They don't blow it up. The do essentially glass it though and scorch it so bad there is a hard crust instead of sand.

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Seaworms
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2021-08-01 at 02:50 PM.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I have a notoriously bad memory. However, it seems folks here have read a good portion of the Dune books. So if anyone can set this straight for me I'd appreciate it.

When Paul dies, did he pass the knowledge of the Golden Path to the twins while they were in the womb?

I was always unclear on how Leto came to know of the Golden Path and the degree of future scrying Paul was able to enact that far in the future. It was like 30k years, from my recollection. Especially before Leto's transformation, it seems Leto's prescience did not reach as far as his father's scrying.

Maybe I am wrong but didn't Malky take advantage of that too when his sister/daughter was created in the No-Room?
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-08-01 at 07:15 PM.

I have a notoriously bad memory. However, it seems folks here have read a good portion of the Dune books. So if anyone can set this straight for me I'd appreciate it.

When Paul dies, did he pass the knowledge of the Golden Path to the twins while they were in the womb?

I was always unclear on how Leto came to know of the Golden Path and the degree of future scrying Paul was able to enact that far in the future. It was like 30k years, from my recollection. Especially before Leto's transformation, it seems Leto's prescience did not reach as far as his father's scrying.

Maybe I am wrong but didn't Malky take advantage of that too when his sister/daughter was created in the No-Room?

Paul was still alive when the twins were born. Paul had foreseen the golden path but rejected it. Leto and his sister began getting prescience at an extremely young age(though I don't recall if he underwent the spice agony) and then embraced it at around the age of 10 by connecting with the sand trout. Then he had one final conversation with Paul where they talk about it all and Paul dies shortly after. I don't remember any of the specifics with regards to Malky.

I love this film and the game for sega, who played it? my love for strategies began with it, and then for RPG games

Paul was still alive when the twins were born. Paul had foreseen the golden path but rejected it. Leto and his sister began getting prescience at an extremely young age(though I don't recall if he underwent the spice agony) and then embraced it at around the age of 10 by connecting with the sand trout. Then he had one final conversation with Paul where they talk about it all and Paul dies shortly after. I don't remember any of the specifics with regards to Malky.
    I am gonna have to Wikipedia some shit now.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    I agree there - I highly doubt *anyone* is going to be attempting to convert the entire (original) series into a movie series. That would be much better suited to a *long* running tv show (if even possible) =D than movies anyway.

But the 2nd movie isn't the 2nd book. The Second movie is the CONCLUSION to THIS movie, coming out in September. The 2nd movie is the 2nd HALF of *only* the first book. THIS first movie is only HALF of that actual story. It will end before finishing the story of the first book.

Villeneuve has already done a lot of the writing/initial planning (at least from the few articles I've read mentioning this) for the second movie and WANTS to do the second movie. He intended when he started to do this First Book's WHOLE STORY - but the studio - despite claiming this is a tentpole IP and funding an entire series to be airing as well - won't agree to even complete the story of the first book, which is what gets people (who aren't already fans) to buy into the IP.

That's the part that doesn't compute. I mean I get if the 2nd movie was the 2nd book, but its not - its part 2 of the first movie/plot. But to launch a 'tentpole' IP your banking all this money on for the next couple of years at least, and already you are unwilling to commit to telling the First Story that launches the entire thing?? A movie that is also released on HBO Max - so you already know US Theater Sales ain't gonna be "all that." You're shooting yourself in the foot - its Firefly in the wrong order all over again =D.

That's why the China release may be what "saves" this. Because even if all us nerdier Dune fans all love this movie and go to the theaters to see it, I doubt the US Box Office (because of the simultaneous streaming release) $ would be enough to greenlight the conclusion to the movie - with a studio already so hesitant to "finish" the job.
    The first Dune novel was split into two books - the first deals with Paul's final days with House Atreides moving to Arrakis, the second starts when he and Jessica join the Fremen. It looks like the films are following a similar structure and I think this is a good sign. I personally thought the SyFy mini-series did a really good job of coherently telling a large chunk of the story and needed a 4.5 hour runtime do so. Handled properly these movies could do just as good a job with the bonuses of higher calibre actors and a greater effects budget. The danger is it focusing on spectacle and caring more about showing the characters than exploring their motives and actions.

- - - Updated - - -

Arrakis is burned, the Bene Gesserit figure out how the sandtrout are needed to create the conditions for sandworms by locking away a planets moisture and use it to begin converting Chapterhouse, their hidden homeworld, into a new Dune.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    I have never heard of the books or the movie before, and after watching the trailer my girlfriend and I are intrigued, although we don't really understand the trailer or the setup.
    The planet Dune is a planet with the most valueable resource in the universe (we assume).
    Any TL: DR which explains the first movie in like 2 sentences?
    Royal MCs family get the right to rule of the planet and get backstabed by the old royals and since MC is a überhuman special breeded to be a god he take over the space muslims on this planet a start a universe wide space jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Royal MCs family get the right to rule of the planet and get backstabed by the old royals and since MC is a überhuman special breeded to be a god he take over the space muslims on this planet a start a universe wide space jihad.
    Every now and then I'm still amazed at the sudden right turn the books take when the brave young hero who slays a tyrant, avenges his family and leads an oppressed people to freedom turns into the greatest tyrant in history and launches a campaign of genocide that kills over 60 billion people. That's a part of the hero's journey we seldom see explored.

I love scifi and pretty much all of Villeneuve's work, but for some reason I don't feel excited about this. I don't know what it is. The trailers are visually impressive as I'd expect but I'm getting 'expensive labour of love' vibes and they don't reel me in. I've not read the book and I've only seen the original film once so my grasp of the story is flimsy at best, and maybe that's the problem, but it shouldn't be really as a film should be able to stand on its own. Ehh, maybe I'll feel different once I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Everyone always pans the David Lynch Dune, but it has a special place in my heart. I just kind of like it, even though it goes way off the books and does plenty of silly stuff. It's just got... something about it that I enjoy.
    Yeah i love the Lynch film. This one look pretty good. While i look forward to seeing Jason Momoa being Jason Momoa i think him being cast as Duncan is pretty yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Yeah i love the Lynch film. This one look pretty good. While i look forward to seeing Jason Momoa being Jason Momoa i think him being cast as Duncan is pretty yikes.
    Actually I'm not sure it's yikes, their personalities aren't all that different I wouldn't say. He's perhaps not the "pretty boy" Duncan has often been made out to be, but the attitude seems to match up fairly well with what we've seen from both of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Actually I'm not sure it's yikes, their personalities aren't all that different I wouldn't say. He's perhaps not the "pretty boy" Duncan has often been made out to be, but the attitude seems to match up fairly well with what we've seen from both of them.
    Yeah, I can see him getting drunk and calling Lady Jessica a witch. And single-handedly fighting a commando of Sardaukars.

He's supposed to be handsome and have black curly hair and a dark complexion. I think Momoa fits the bill.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Hope this is good and we can have a proper remake of Dune 2 from Westwood studios, yeh, its basically warcraft/starcraft in a different universe but would be nice with a new RTS.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if this will bomb, but I don't think it will do particularly well. This will not warrant anything more than this one movie either.

It was never gonna have a follow-up anyway. But after the HBO Max issue and the profile of the cast raised; there is no way this can be positioned beyond this one movie.
    Yea that's what I'm afraid of too. Which just makes me not even want to try and see the movie at all - since it's its only half a story. If I like it - I'll just be peeved there isn't the rest of the story - so why bother? *shrugs*

We shall see! =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    shorts, Kynes was my favorite, she felt mysterious, like she knows lots of stuff, dunno what to say about the others..
    like one can guess what they are even if one doesn't know the story..

Dune: House Harkonnen | Character TV Spots 4K
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS61vJOMlRs

Dune: Fremen | Character TV Spots 4K
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlmPP14wu7Y

Dune: House Atreides | Character TV Spots 4K
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcnhW2tMWNg