Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People need to realize that, unfortunately, these are the times.

Once you discover that you can make "small" profits here and there which end up summing up in bigger revenue than directly having more player base... it is hard to ignore that fact. You literally can not blame them and you literally have 0 valid arguments: If Blizzard was to survive on subs, they would probably decline a lot so this is pretty natural.

That being said, I would have hated it back in the good old days.. but luckily we got to experience pure gaming, made by gamers for gamers... all of that. Today, year 2021, it is all about the money. There is literally nothing to do to change that, so just relax and enjoy. Do what you like, don´t do what you don´t like.

At the end of the day it IS a business and a game. Asmongold can take it more serious because he literally lives out of streaming it, that is his luck and doom. But the rest of us... we should not stress about it: it will not change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    It's standard thing, that has been said to you many times already. Companies do, what their clients allow them to do. It was said back in Cata, that if players would allow Blizzard to change game that way and drive players away, then it would be slippery slope, that would lead game towards fail. And it actually happens now. It's sad truth, but money >> self-respect. "Hunger" makes even very self-respectful developers cynical. Only difference between Blizzard and other companies - they had enough resources to keep Wow on life support for several more years, instead of collapsing it immediately.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

...So they might make actual good games and new IP's.

If you are fine with the current new rounds of money-grabbing...Fine, be it so...

Honestly, its like Asmongold said it...Us nerds, us achievement hunters with 500 mounts and 30k nerd points...Us whales, were in an abusive relationship. First they re-verse the 35 fee for copy transfer in classic, but then strike right back with a TCG item and 6 month sub mount. Honestly, the amount of crazy micro transactions added to wow since Legion is next level. Just since Shadowlands it feels like they added soo much...Deluxe Edition for TBC is disgusting price also.

Gut, I fear mobile gaming...First it was annoying how much money they made, and like the...focus and attention, BUT NOW! it seems like PC games has to compete with these abusive money grabbing methods. We can see that with cod mobile, and how Blizzard aint even important or whatever...

I just hope that Blizzard then actually makes money to further development for actually good games, IP's or paying better wages...idk. I don't see much "WOW Factor" about Diablo 4 so far, Overwatch 2 seems pointless and WoW seems beaten by a weeb game (Lets be honest here) from Japan in numbers, that apparently has even worse microtransactions. And all their other games and re-makes are barely alive...Honestly if it wasent for Diablo 2 re-make Blizzard dont even have any anything but TBC classic, which I doubt will ever get as popular as classic did for those first months...

I really, really dislike how these trends are heading. Cause I know I will buy the fucking deluxe version cause of the freaking mount, and then later I hope the 6 month sub mount goes on sale in like 1-2 years at December...Im pathetic, we all are for buying this crap. And im saying im pathetic when I don't even spend money on it, but I do spend time...I have 22 million atm in wow, I AH play a lot in wow, but I know that every time Blizzard takes a shit thats a million gold gone in wow tokens...And the tokens are only going up in price lately...
    I think the time were Blizzard launches new games of high quality are long gone. I used to have hope that they would release new and great games, but i've given up. It wont happen. They are now into mobile gaming, cause even though its a total shitshow of games, it generates alot of money. People sit on the phone all day, everyday. Why not just hop in and play some halfassed Blizzard game?

In order to create great games and IP, there needs to be quality, passion and highly skilled people in the company. The company should also prioritize this, but Blizzard dont anymore. Sure, they have good people working on excisiting IPs, but its obvious they are more busy with how to optimize income on a quarterly basis.

Maybe the developers are handicapped by people who call the shots and its not enough freedom to work on projects. Whatever it is, Blizzard is not what they once were and never will be. Its all about revenue and more more more more more money. That money lies in shite mobile games. So thats where the focus will be.

In the coming years we will see mobile game(s) and no new IPS, maybe never. Create stuff for the IPs they have until they are desperate and are forced to think new again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think for them to start innovating and making good games would actually require them to make less money now. As long as they can put minimal effort and milk the existing IP's for profit they won't take risks with new IP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    You... You serious? Are you being serious? Or is this a troll post

or especially this

great meme choice

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    People need to realize that, unfortunately, these are the times.

Once you discover that you can make "small" profits here and there which end up summing up in bigger revenue than directly having more player base... it is hard to ignore that fact. You literally can not blame them and you literally have 0 valid arguments: If Blizzard was to survive on subs, they would probably decline a lot so this is pretty natural.

That being said, I would have hated it back in the good old days.. but luckily we got to experience pure gaming, made by gamers for gamers... all of that. Today, year 2021, it is all about the money. There is literally nothing to do to change that, so just relax and enjoy. Do what you like, don´t do what you don´t like.

At the end of the day it IS a business and a game. Asmongold can take it more serious because he literally lives out of streaming it, that is his luck and doom. But the rest of us... we should not stress about it: it will not change a thing.
    if you replace „survive“ with „doing maximum profit“ your post is fine.

You are allowed to spend your money on things you want without feeling bad about it. Or without apologizing for it to people for supposedly making "gaaaming" worse. If you want the collectibles for TBC deluxe and have 70$ to spare just go and buy it. There's no need to cry or punish yourself for it. If you don't want to buy it, then don't as well. The mount will probably be in the shop forever so you can just go back and buy it whenever.

People should really learn to treat games and purchases within them as any other goods or entertainment medium. When you go to a grocery store to buy food do you get offended that they also offer hot dogs and coca cola? Are you out campaigning that nothing apart from bread and vegetables should be sold in that shop? Probably not. You just buy it or don't buy it. No one ever attaches a whole ideology to it like gamers do with games. The monetization in games has evolved. Back in the day there was barely any because the game creators just didn't know how to monetize their work properly. Now they got better at it. Much like providers of goods in other bussinesses have, years ago.

Honestly I kind of enjoy watching the dramas on youtube myself because it's fairly entertaining, but I treat it like visiting a zoo. Rather than getting involved myself, I just watch the behavior and try to understand the train of thought behind it. There are some things in the world that offend me, but something being offered on sale in a game is not one of them.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

That's not how it works. Blizzard getting more money just means my boy Bobby is getting a larger Christmas bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    WoW started going downhill before Activision took more control of Blizzard. Just wanted to point that out since people here keep mentioning Activision and Bobby Kotick.
    this is true. I would go as far as saying the downfall started when they shut down Blizzard North in 2005 :P

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    or especially this

great meme choice

- - - Updated - - -

if you replace „survive“ with „doing maximum profit“ your post is fine.
    If you had a business, would you want to make some money, or would you rather make the maximum possible money, within legal and ethical..blabla.. frames? Pretty obvious answer, huh?
    That is the case here.

Again, I am not happy about it, but you have to be rational. It is perfectly fair and normal. I am glad the only realized this now, when the game is nowhere near its peak anyway. We had the chance to enjoy it at its best for many years in the past anyway.

You should hope that they are actually making good games instead of more money

Them having more money doesn't magically makes them invest more money into games.
    The money is there, if they had good ideas for a game that would bring in lots of revenue, they even just had to ask the board for funding (or take on a loan like a lot of other businesses do).

The money from MTX will however most likely go into the shareholders / execs pocket.
    When it comes to projects, it's not so much about how much money you have right now, but convincing others (a.k.a. people with money) that you have a great idea for a project with the skills to execute on it, which will then give you the money to make that project happen.

You weren't kidding...Again you cant fault companies for making money, but this is next-level microtransactions by Blizzard now.
    WoW doesn't have microtransactions.

There is nothing "micro" about prices in the IG store.

...So they might make actual good games and new IP's. [...]
    For this to happen they would have to make a lot less money so they get incentivized to bring something good - which isnt the case at the moment.

They don't need to make good games while they can still milk addicted players.
    Blizzard is a pretty lame video game company. But they have good ip to milk.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2021-05-21 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Wait are you insinuating that Asmongold has made a lot of money off streaming games such as WoWand has a net worth over $3 million because of it? Are you saying that companies pay these streaming tons of money to play their games and that's how these guys and gals make a living???
    No, I'm saying Asmongold got famous off of WoW streaming and his audience is probably mainly attached to WoW. So of COURSE he's not gonna quit, or "change games", beause he would lose some part of his watching/donating audience = his income.
    Now, you can argue how much "WoW playing" is when he afks somewhere and reacts to mainly wow and mainstream topics, but still.

In any case, Asmongold basically supports what he says he hates in the game with his "I'm not gonna quit no matter what" thinking. (One of the) The biggest wow streamer(s).
    Last edited by Lei; 2021-05-21 at 01:04 PM.

As far as I know, collaborating with the development team is not as easy as it seems, I worked on an article on the topic "dedicated team developers" for the cleveroad website and actually learned a lot) I used to take hiring developers more frivolously, now I don't)

Blizzard is a multi-billion dollar company and they can't push any games out whatsoever. With the exception of Overwatch (which was salvaged from the years long Titan project), all of their games died stillborn. In fact, the only new games they've put out under the Blizzard banner has been rehashes of their old games, outsourced to other studios (Diablo Immortal, WC3 Reforged, SC1 remaster, the D2 remaster). OW2 and D4 are stuck in development hell. The WoW dev team can't consistently put out a decent chunk of content on a schedule. SC2 and HotS are in maintenance mode. Hearthstone seems to be the only dev team at Blizzard that can consistently put out stuff, and it's not a content heavy game: it's a systematized one.

If you are fine with the current new rounds of money-grabbing...Fine, be it so...

Honestly, its like Asmongold said
    And we can stop right here. This is a guy who should never be quoted or referred to because he is the one who tired to gather players to openly harass other players who bought shop mounts. He increasingly shows that he is an enabler of the toxic environment that plagues the game. Using him to prop up an argument tells one not to take that poat seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    WoW started going downhill before Activision took more control of Blizzard. Just wanted to point that out since people here keep mentioning Activision and Bobby Kotick.
    Avtivision has no control over Blizzard. Activision and Blizzard are two separate companies under one roof that goes by the name of Activision-Blizzard. Activision does nothing to Blizzard and vice versa,.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enter Name Here View Post
    For this to happen they would have to make a lot less money so they get incentivized to bring something good - which isnt the case at the moment.
    But to many people they are already bringing something good. People need to stop acting like their opinion is fact and that everyone has the same opinion. It isn't. What you think is bad others think is good an vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    We need another videogame crash to eliminate all the bad practices. Nothing else will work. Stop buying into the hype. Vote with your wallet, and I mean not buying shit.
    This is some "we live in a society" level nonsense. Video games as a service has been proven to be successful. Blizzard isn't about to change their business model because of a few extremely vocal people on the internet are talking about it being "the time to change."

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    That's not how it works. Blizzard getting more money just means my boy Bobby is getting a larger Christmas bonus.
    That isn't how it works either.