New data from CA and Bay Area.

Between July 21 and 28 the average case rate among unvaccinated individuals in CA is 13 cases per 100,000 unvaccinated residents, and 2 per 100,000 for vaccinated residents. San Francisco numbers are 15 for unvaccinated residents and 5.8 for vaccinated residents. San Francisco has the highest number of breakouts in CA. That population density factor again. Contra Costa numbers are 25.3 for unvaccinated and 4.3 for vaccinated. Marin has the highest vaccination rate in CA (92.52% fully vaccinated) and the numbers are 16.3 for unvaccinated and 3.9 vaccinated.

When we look at the hospitalization rate that's when the vaccine really shines. Less than 1% of breakthrough cases in CA ended up being hospitalized. Alameda has 105 hospitalized covid patients, Santa Clara 85 and San Francisco 78, none are fully vaccinated. Napa has 5, only 1 vaccinated. Contra Costa, Marin, Solano and San Mateo do not have available information on how many hospitalized COVID patients are fully vaccinated.

In the entire Bay Area, there are only two known breakthrough infections that ended up in death. Both in Sonoma County and both individuals were over the age of 90 with multiple underlying conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

On a more personal level. My wife had a fever of 101 on Tuesday. She did a teleconference with our doctor, he scheduled a covid test for her at a facility 15 minutes from our home. By the time I got back home in the evening her temperature was down to 97.5 and she felt fine. Thursday morning we found out she tested positive.

Yesterday we biked to Ocean Beach. For the first time, I did not tether her on the return trip. She did the entire 2.5-mile uphill route under her own power. This morning she ran with me and seemed to be doing okay. The doctor wanted her to do another test next week. She had her two Moderna doses a couple of months ago. So for now we are staying away from people and we limit ourselves to outdoor excursions. I'll go ahead and do the the test next week also just in case I was asymptomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I read stuff like this and I find myself wondering if these politicians are actually concerned and sincere… or if they’re just worried that their (Republican) voter base are the ones mostly getting sick and dying.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/west-virg...131706849.html
    This just getting weirder

He wanted to "pee and throw up because the information is not pleasing"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ps...rnorJimJustice at 1.22
    Is that something that people normally say when they are scared?

- - - Updated - - -

An interesting take on what explains the difference in death-rates in different places (besides dodgy reporting):

https://www.economist.com/finance-an...hs-than-others
    Youyang Gu found that the top-tree explanations for differences in outcomes in the US (at state level) were: inequality, population density, and nursing home population as percentage of population; with inequality as the main factor.

Note: not poverty - but inequality.

Unfortunately when searching on their web-site for covid inequality the next hit is:
    https://www.economist.com/internatio...ens-inequality
    which as the headline says indicates that closing schools widens inequality; feeding the cycle.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and for the US it seems that the main factor in terms of people not getting vaccinated is voting for Trump or Biden.

That was the most important factor ahead of conservative vs. liberal, color of your skin or anything; possibly except for the strong Hindu-tendency to get vaccinated (eh?).

https://www.economist.com/united-sta...gainst-the-jab

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    This just getting weirder

He wanted to "pee and throw up because the information is not pleasing"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ps...rnorJimJustice at 1.22
    Is that something that people normally say when they are scared?
    No, that is something you say when you realize that your past actions caused thousands of your constituents to die. Probably the first time he actually thought about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    No, that is something you say when you realize that your past actions caused thousands of your constituents to die. Probably the first time he actually thought about it.
    Probably the first time he's had to actually face it you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The words of a man who fears that he may have killed/incapacitated too much of his base. Its so many people put faith in these people who are willing to play with their lives for a little bit of power.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I read stuff like this and I find myself wondering if these politicians are actually concerned and sincere… or if they’re just worried that their (Republican) voter base are the ones mostly getting sick and dying.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/west-virg...131706849.html

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/ex-tr...070021456.html
    Most of them couldn't care less about people dying and are only saying something now because their voters are the ones most at risk and that poses a threat to their power.

However, the West Virginia Governor has actually been a (relatively) sane voice when it comes to the pandemic. He may be a Republican, but he was pro-mask and pro-vaccine (yes I recognize what a low bar that is, but that's the reality we live in). I think he's likely sincerely concerned.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Florida had 10,207 people hospitalized with confirmed COVID-19 cases, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services

The previous record was from more than a year ago, July 23, 2020, more than a half-year before vaccinations started becoming widespread, when Florida had 10,170 hospitalizations, according to the Florida Hospital Association.

Florida is now leading the nation in per capita hospitalizations for COVID-19, as hospitals around the state report having to put emergency room visitors in beds in hallways and others document a noticeable drop in the age of patients.

In the past week, Florida has averaged 1,525 adult hospitalizations a day, and 35 daily pediatric hospitalizations. Both are the highest per capita rate in the nation, according to Jason Salemi, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of South Florida.

Throughout Florida, from Jacksonville to Miami to Tampa, hospitals have become overwhelmed.

Barry Burton, the Pinellas County administrator, told the Tampa Bay Times that some local hospitals are already having to divert ambulances to different locations because of capacity concerns.

There has been a startling rise in the number of children with the virus at hospitals in Miami, many of them requiring intensive care.

Memorial Health’s Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood had seven patients with COVID-19. At Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in Miami, there were 17 patients with COVID-19 on Friday, including six in the ICU and one who needed a ventilator, Dr. Marcos Mestre, vice president and chief medical officer, told the Miami Herald.

About half of the patients were under 12, Mestre said, and the rest were older and eligible for the vaccine. But none of the patients with COVID-19 at Nicklaus Children’s on Friday were vaccinated.

At the UF Health North hospital emergency room in Jacksonville, COVID-19 patients once again were being put in beds in hallways due to a surge in visits.

I still say Looney Toons had it right. Saw Florida off and let it drift out to sea.

Something very strange has been happening in Missouri: A hospital in the state, Ozarks Healthcare, had to create a “private setting” for patients afraid of being seen getting vaccinated against COVID-19. In a video produced by the hospital, the physician Priscilla Frase says, “Several people come in to get vaccinated who have tried to sort of disguise their appearance and even went so far as to say, ‘Please, please, please don’t let anybody know that I got this vaccine.’” Although they want to protect themselves from the coronavirus and its variants, these patients are desperate to ensure that their vaccine-skeptical friends and family never find out what they have done.

This can't be the United States. We are supposed to be the most advanced country in the whole world. I don't want to sound condescending, but my father-in-law when he talked to me used to refer to some of his more backward relatives as "hick." I felt like the word fits these people perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    This can't be the United States.
    This is what a full scale national Death Cult looks like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although they want to protect themselves from the coronavirus and its variants, these patients are desperate to ensure that their vaccine-skeptical friends and family never find out what they have done.
    Damn, you must have a regular AntiVax cult over there. Sheesh.
    I'd argue that "friends", where you have to be "afraid of them finding out" when doing something that is beneficial to not only your own health but others too don't deserve the classification "friend" in the first place. Better to get remove these people from your (general you) social circle immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I despise the behavior of anti-vaxxers, it can't be without pity. If you friends would disown you because of a medical procedure then maybe it's time for new friends. Some people need to learn how to love themselves. I could not imagine what would drive me to adopt such a mindset.

10+ Year Old Account

This can't be the United States. We are supposed to be the most advanced country in the whole world. I don't want to sound condescending, but my father-in-law when he talked to me used to refer to some of his more backward relatives as "hick." I felt like the word fits these people perfectly.
    What are they worried about, exactly? That the hospital will release the names of everyone who has been vaccinated? Like how newspapers have those lists of who and how many have recently died?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

https://abc7ny.com/husband-and-wife-...s-of/10922519/

So I guess getting the virus is the best way for anti-vaxxers to find out that the vaccine is maybe a good thing. The Death Cult remains strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://abc7ny.com/husband-and-wife-...s-of/10922519/

So I guess getting the virus is the best way for anti-vaxxers to find out that the vaccine is maybe a good thing. The Death Cult remains strong.
    Ever read a book titled Assholes: A Theory by Aaron James? My son bought it for me as a joke couple of years ago. In the book, the author argues that American culture is producing a swarm of annoying, self-righteous people who behave as if they are so special that normal rules do not apply. Back then I just laughed at it and thought of it as a confirmation bias piece of literature. I reread it over the weekend, and I cried.

https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-b...-surge-1615466

Statewide mask mandates are starting to come back, first up is Louisiana with their low vaccination rate. My county in CA just mandated masks again as well.

Want to avoid the return of mandates to more states/counties? Get your fuckin vaccines.

Here in Texas the moron in charge is preventing even the idea of masking up again.

The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lines to get tested in Florida are massive. I bet people are asking, "why are these lines so long, damn it's hot. I can't keep doing this." Get a shot, where a mask. Stop voting for people daring you to die like DeSantis.

Ever read a book titled Assholes: A Theory by Aaron James? My son bought it for me as a joke couple of years ago. In the book, the author argues that American culture is producing a swarm of annoying, self-righteous people who behave as if they are so special that normal rules do not apply. Back then I just laughed at it and thought of it as a confirmation bias piece of literature. I reread it over the weekend, and I cried.
    lol I love this.
    They call it American Exceptionalism.
    Pretty sure it's why every kid you meet says they are a rapper/streamer/influencer.
    Cause everyone is a rockstar.
    By birth.
    People think the Brits were bad during Euro.
    Kids chant USA USA USA in the womb here.

You're spot on.

Case in point. MTG and der fuhrer Trump.