Page 11 of 489 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just looks much less orange than the Rivendell shot from LOTR

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Just looks much less orange than the Rivendell shot from LOTR
    Yeah. The Rivendell miniature and matte paintings from the LotR trilogy had soul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Yeah. The Rivendell miniature and matte paintings from the LotR trilogy had soul.
    To be honest I'm not expecting much soul from this show, from the way things sound it's gonna try and be more like a GoT copy than a soulful reproduction of Tolkien's work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Why does this image look so generic to me? Can't quite put my finger on it.
    Well, LotR, after all these years, is a super generic fantasy setting.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Sadly I guess that is the answer, because the picture screams generic to me. Then again, it might not be that important in the overall, heh, picture...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

That picture looks like an unused shot that you would get in the features of a blu-ray. Looks kind of untouched up and, I don't want to say low quality, but doesn't have post applied.

Looks like Valimar and the two Trees of Valinor.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The Lord Of the Rings: Lenny Henry, Augustus Prew, Peter Mullan, Cynthia Addai-Robinson & Benjamin Walker Among 20 New Cast Additions On Amazon Series

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...150050947.html
    I'm a little confused by Lenny Henry's casting.
    Not known for his drama skills.
    Or really even comedy skills. lel

Peter tho will always be Mother Superior to me.
    #chooselife

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post

Pretty first look.
    Probably Tirion with a view of the two trees. Interesting. But the show is said to be set in the Second Age. So it may be an intro where they quickly explain why the Edain got Númenor, what is Valinor, what happened during the First Age, etc.

And of course we have the usual sourpusses...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The sunlight compositing looks pretty bad. Also the image is really devoid of color and looks really grey. Where are the vivid colors? Elrond and Galadriel wore rings which preserved the color and beauty of their sanctuaries.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that those are the Two Trees of Valinor. Image is still dull, though.
    Well, of course it is dull. The light is coming from the Two Trees, down on the horizon, and we're looking towards the trees. Therefore, everything we see will be in shadows and dull. They were living in perpetual twilight before the creation of the sun and moon.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2021-08-02 at 10:24 PM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Gah, don't you dare be touching the Silmarillion. No way they can be doing it justice.

You can see the Two Trees there both giving off light, but Telperion doesn't look silvery enough. Laurelin gave off golden light and Telperion silver. Given both of them seem to be giving off light that would make it the dusk or dawn period as that was the only time both were active. Even so, they just don't seem majestic or impressive enough, given that apart from the stars they were the only source of light in the world, which gave light to an entire continent.

But it is concept art so we will have to see how it turns out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Gah, don't you dare be touching the Silmarillion. No way they can be doing it justice.

You can see the Two Trees there both giving off light, but Telperion doesn't look silvery enough. Laurelin gave off golden light and Telperion silver. Given both of them seem to be giving off light that would make it the dusk or dawn period as that was the only time both were active. Even so, they just don't seem majestic or impressive enough, given that apart from the stars they were the only source of light in the world, which gave light to an entire continent.

But it is concept art so we will have to see how it turns out.
    It seems to be "daytime", since Telperion is not shining. That's why its boughs and trunk appear dark in contrast to Laurelin.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    It seems to be "daytime", since Telperion is not shining. That's why its boughs and trunk appear dark in contrast to Laurelin.
    I read it a bit different.

The one at the back is Telperion as it is a whitish colour, and certainly not golden. Telperion was the one that was the 'moon'. The one at the front is Laurelin the Golden (the 'sun' equivalent). It does seem to be giving off a sun like light from the middle of its branches in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Probably Tirion with a view of the two trees. Interesting. But the show is said to be set in the Second Age. So it may be an intro where they quickly explain why the Edain got Númenor, what is Valinor, what happened during the First Age, etc.

And of course we have the usual sourpusses...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, of course it is dull. The light is coming from the Two Trees, down on the horizon, and we're looking towards the trees. Therefore, everything we see will be in shadows and dull. They were living in perpetual twilight before the creation of the sun and moon.
    Seems like Tirion... mostly due to the fact of mountain cliffs either side of it.

It's really not. You could show me pretty much any shot from the LotR trilogy and I could immediately identify it as LotR. This seems to be more about art direction and bad CGI. The image just looks sterile and forgettable as fuck.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's really not. You could show me pretty much any shot from the LotR trilogy and I could immediately identify it as LotR. This seems to be more about art direction and bad CGI. The image just looks sterile and forgettable as fuck.
    Yes it did become the staple, generic fantasy. Noble elves/dwarves, evil orcs, mixed bag of humans, clear black vs white etc. That's what I meant.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

LotR isn't generic. Most fantasy is simply based on it.

Yes it did become the staple, generic fantasy. Noble elves/dwarves, evil orcs, mixed bag of humans, clear black vs white etc. That's what I meant.
    I'm talking about the CGI, the composition, the architecture etc. This could just as well be a shot from some retarded DC Snyder movie. That's what I meant when I said "generic".
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, LOTR is the pilar.

If Lotr did anything - the movie anyway - was normalize the fantasy genre as mainstream

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I mean, LOTR is the pilar.

If Lotr did anything - the movie anyway - was normalize the fantasy genre as mainstream
    Yes, I realize. But after all those years any many more fantasy settings, it just lost appeal for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I realize. But after all those years any many more fantasy settings, it just lost appeal for me.
    Most Classical Fantasy is like that and that's a shame people feel that way because I love Classical Fantasy. But it seems more people have adopted Grim Dark Fantasy as their go to fantasy these days which is good, but I tend to have a broad mind on the genre.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance