One of those that wanted one since release (but didnt preorder as I was ok waiting a few months), little did I know that it's still impossible to even sign up for a list to get one eventually in my country (Sweden).

Useless and insane that they STILL havent been able to push out enough units to supply everyone that want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Anyone capable of building the most basic lego set can install the storage. So that means some 5 year olds can do it FYI. It's not even remotely complicated for any average person that tries to do it.
    So we should just settle for this because it's good enough? God forbid they streamline the process even a little.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Only enthusiasts expand their storage because they are the only ones who know how to do it. There is no reason sony couldn't make it simpler so it could appeal to more people.

Just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it's not a problem.

If Microsoft can make things easier for the average consumer then there is no reason Sony can't do the same. Besides you can't tell me you really believe opening up your system is better than not having to ever do that.
    Wrong, imo. Saying that simply taking the side off and plopping in a m.2 drive and a standoff is somehow a barrier to entry is wrong. If that was the case, all these years, PC gaming has actually been unreachable for anyone who couldn't do this. It is an invalid talking point against PC gaming and it is invalid here.

People are not so incapable they cannot plug in a simple m.2, which is the standard for SSD anyway. You would rather have memory cards? Ugh. So much more of a waste of money buying a proprietary "memory card" than an actual PC part.

I'm gonna completely disagree with you on that one. Real m.2 pci-e SSD is a cool component to add to a console, but obscure proprietary memory card of current year is and shall forever be awful for myriad reasons.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-07-30 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That’s why they specifically require a minimum read speed of 5.5 GB/s for the expansion ssd. So it matches the performance requirements.
    Right but they are saying even that might not be enough. Obviously we need to wait for some comprehensive tests but it is something to be concerned about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Didn't Sony go for a custom design SSD that is capable of reaching higher speeds then regular PCI SSD that is found in the Xbox?

\\
    Most m.2 drives you would buy for the PS5 are faster than Xbox's expansion.

Both options are for people who don't just settle for a much cheaper USB drive that allows them to "cold store' games until they ready to play them.

But if you can install the base onto your PS5 you have the skills to install an m2.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-07-30 at 02:56 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

One of the devs at Insomniac who worked on Ratchet and Clank stated they saw no difference when using multiple different M.2's. While they might state it may not be enough Ratchet and Clank is one of those games where you need almost near instant loading times. Insomniac had no issue using different brands of M.2's during their testing.

Right but they are saying even that might not be enough. Obviously we need to wait for some comprehensive tests but it is something to be concerned about.
    Because the custom design of the PS5 SSD allows for even higher speeds, not all the time but see it as a short sprint.

People keep saying this but Microsoft proves it could be simpler. I'm not saying it's hard but it is harder than it's ever been.

Before all you needed was a hard drive that would fit the system, now you have to find an ssd with the appropriate specs and heat sink. How are they supposed to communicate this to the average consumer?

Meanwhile Microsoft has made the whole process very simple, wanna expand your storage? Get the expansion card. How do you install it? Just slide it into the back.
    Id much rather be able to use any off the wall m2 than a proprietary format. Yes its easier on my xbox than my ps5 to add ssd storage but im going to pay more for my xboxs

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Id much rather be able to use any off the wall m2 than a proprietary format. Yes its easier on my xbox than my ps5 to add ssd storage but im going to pay more for my xboxs
    Maybe but right now you can find options that both cost more and those that are cheaper with no real guarantee for which ones will actually work.

Regardless there are pros and cons for both options but I stand by in saying that Sony has no excuse for making this process as complicated as it actually is. They are basically relying on the community to figure out everything for them.

Regardless there are pros and cons for both options but I stand by in saying that Sony has no excuse for making this process as complicated as it actually is. They are basically relying on the community to figure out everything for them.
    It's not complicated, They outright say what you need on their post. I also am not surprised they didn't go with a proprietary format cause it bit them right in the ass with the Vita.

If someone finds it complicated to find the right SSD they will find it even more complicated to install it. At that point they should just ask someone who knows. Also give it a few months and company's will post (Compatible with PS5) on the box.

I rather have options over none.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    It's not complicated, They outright say what you need on their post. I also am not surprised they didn't go with a proprietary format cause it bit them right in the ass with the Vita.

If someone finds it complicated to find the right SSD they will find it even more complicated to install it. At that point they should just ask someone who knows. Also give it a few months and company's will post (Compatible with PS5) on the box.

I rather have options over none.
    I love this logic, "I will happily push a Boulder up a hill so long as I get to choose the boulder".

It's not about how hard it is its the fact that it's harder than it needs to be. Sony shouldn't get a pass for poor design choices just cause they allow you to pick which brand of ssd you buy.
    Last edited by everydaygamer; 2021-08-02 at 03:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love this logic, "I will happily push a Boulder up a hill so long as I get to choose the boulder".

It's not about how hard it is its the fact that it's harder than it needs to be. Sony shouldn't get a pass for poor design choices just cause they allow you to pick which brand of ssd you buy.
    Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to get the fuck over it.

No its more of I can ride a bike without training wheels and if you can't learn to.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    The cheapest and easiest option for both systems is to just use and old external USB drive to hold your game files until you want to transfer them to the faster SSD. The Series X has a proprietary plug in and forget option. Installing an SSD to the PS5 is a two step process but comes with the perks (and cons) of a 3rd party market and hardware that can be used on more than a PS5.

Neither are bad options. There's no reason to rush for a upgrade at this point unless you are an enthusiast.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I want to see some info on Silent Hill reboot, Bloodborne remaster, and/or Metal Gear Solid reboot or remake. Seems these games have been circling the rumor mill so much lately, hopefully there is something there. Is it confirmed Bloober Team is working on a Silent Hill?

Guess I'll play Ghost again once the updates come out. I didn't finish all the side missions because I suspected something like this. Same reason I didn't farm up all the stuff in Village. I plan on coming back.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-08-02 at 07:24 PM.

Maybe but right now you can find options that both cost more and those that are cheaper with no real guarantee for which ones will actually work.

its not complicated, like literally at all. Are you someone who has a melt down if you have to reboot your computer if something messes up? becuase you literally take off a piece of metal, screw in a ssd and put piece of metal back. If this is to hard then you dont really need to be touching electronics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The cheapest and easiest option for both systems is to just use and old external USB drive to hold your game files until you want to transfer them to the faster SSD. The Series X has a proprietary plug in and forget option. Installing an SSD to the PS5 is a two step process but comes with the perks (and cons) of a 3rd party market and hardware that can be used on more than a PS5.

Neither are bad options. There's no reason to rush for a upgrade at this point unless you are an enthusiast.
    I have a 5tb 7200 rpm external for my xbox, it took 7 minutes to trasnfere a 80gb game from it to the series x internal. I assume playstation wont take much more time than that.

10+ Year Old Account

Why are you so sweaty about this?
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    Why are you so sweaty about this?
    Didn't realize criticizing sony made someone sweaty. God forbid we expect Sony to actually put in at least the same amount of effort Microsoft is putting in.

This is actually the only console I don't think i have a realistic chance of buying anytime soon lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't realize criticizing sony made someone sweaty.
    I didn't either, until I read your posts.

God forbid we expect Sony to actually put in at least the same amount of effort Microsoft is putting in.
    They tried going the proprietary route in the past. Nobody wants that again.

Sony has no excuse for making this process as complicated as it actually is
    There's nothing complicated about it.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!