Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post

They tried going the proprietary route in the past. Nobody wants that again.
    The problem with the Vita memory cards wasn't that they were proprietary it was that they didn't do anything an SD card couldn't do and cost more.

There's nothing complicated about it.
    Let's see if you wanna expand the storage on Xbox all you gotta do is pick up an expansion card and slide it into the slot in the back of your Xbox.

If you want to expand the PS5 storage, you have to look up the required specs for the SSD, price out different SSD's, check to make sure the SSD is actually performing well in the PS5, and then finally look up how you actually install the SSD into the PS5. Seems pretty complicated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Seems pretty complicated to me.
    For people still needing training wheels yes it is, But for the rest of us its not hard to look up things.

5 years from now those SSD's will still cost $250 because they are proprietary. While right now you can choose a cheaper option on PS5 if you want.

The problem with the Vita memory cards wasn't that they were proprietary
    Then you don't know jack shit about the vita. Them being proprietary was a core issue the vita did badly and shocker even to this day they still cost a fuck ton. Take a wild guess what will happen with the Xbox Series SSD's. They won't go down in price because it cost's MS to make them...

If its such a issue for you stick to a PS4 or use the space the PS5 has.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Criticizing Sony is all well and good, but this is a dumb hill to die on. The installation is not difficult at all and is no more difficult to install than the PS4 hard drive was.

Now, if you want to criticize Sony for only giving us 800 GB to begin with, making upgrading basically necessary for anyone who plays games regularly, then we can have that conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Criticizing Sony is all well and good, but this is a dumb hill to die on. The installation is not difficult at all and is no more difficult to install than the PS4 hard drive was.

Now, if you want to criticize Sony for only giving us 800 GB to begin with, making upgrading basically necessary for anyone who plays games regularly, then we can have that conversation.
    Considering Sony is releasing first party games that are 30 gb and smaller then their PS4 games and some 3rd party games are about 50% smaller on PS5 then on any other platform, their decision to prioritize speed over space was actually smart. A bigger slower drive might not be able to handle the same compression as fast and your extra space then becomes moot when games take up more space. You could just make the dumb argument "why not both" but obviously a compromise needs to be made to stay in budget so that wouldn't be much of an argument...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-08-02 at 10:33 PM.

The thing people are failing to understand is that "complex" isn't the same thing as "difficult" so I'm not sure why people are making that the main issue. The problem is the number of steps required compared to the competition.

And yes the fact that expansion is more of a requirement than an option is part of the problem. If Sony was expecting people to expand their storage then they should have made the whole process simpler than it turned out.

At the very least they could offer up some options that they can actually guarantee will work rather than leave it up to the community to figure it out for them.

And yes the fact that expansion is more of a requirement
    It's not even close to a requirement. You don't need to have 15+ games installed at all times, you are free to uninstall games as you please. What a ridiculous take.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing people are failing to understand is that "complex" isn't the same thing as "difficult" so I'm not sure why people are making that the main issue. The problem is the number of steps required compared to the competition.
    The number of steps required will decrease in measure in time, as it's likely there will be partnered options, or at least options marketed as being compatible/optimized. The actual installation process is no more complicated than what you would experience in a modern PC.

And yes the fact that expansion is more of a requirement than an option is part of the problem. If Sony was expecting people to expand their storage then they should have made the whole process simpler than it turned out.
    It's less of a requirement than you're making it out to be.

At the very least they could offer up some options that they can actually guarantee will work rather than leave it up to the community to figure it out for them.
    Again, this will come with time. You can't expect relatively new technology to be widely adopted in a short timespan.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Considering Sony is releasing first party games that are 30 gb and smaller then their PS4 games and some 3rd party games are about 50% smaller on PS5 then on any other platform, their decision to prioritize speed over space was actually smart. A bigger slower drive might not be able to handle the same compression as fast and your extra space then becomes moot when games take up more space. You could just make the dumb argument "why not both" but obviously a compromise needs to be made to stay in budget so that wouldn't be much of an argument...
    That's a fair point. I think the main reason I'm having trouble is because I'm using my PS5 to play a lot of PS4 games that are like 70-100 GBs. Rift Apart is like 34 GBs so you could fit nearly 20 games of that size on the SSD which seems reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account

Not to try to make too many excuses for Sony but making the drive bigger would have resulted in unaffordable consoles. That's why they spent a lot of time on compression technology and making it so the PS5 could 'cold stote' games on older drives and PS4s. They could have thrown in a slower drive to hold games until you want to move them to a fast one, that's what a lot of people do on PCs, but the console is already massive.

But yeah, it's crappy the think can only hold a handful of games at a time. There's a bunch where it will down the PS4 and PS5 of a game, so I bet a lot of have a useless version of a game eating up their storage space without even knowing it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account

I have had no issue with space and I clearly play more games than 99% of people on this site according to the how many games have you beat this year thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I have had no issue with space and I clearly play more games than 99% of people on this site according to the how many games have you beat this year thread
    The storage space argument is weak anyway. You can juggle 10 fat sportsball/shoot-the-terrorist games at once on the base storage.
    Make your own groups!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    The storage space argument is weak anyway. You can juggle 10 fat sportsball/shoot-the-terrorist games at once on the base storage.
    Yeah. I don't understand 3 pages of whining about it when everybody is just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn't realize criticizing sony made someone sweaty. God forbid we expect Sony to actually put in at least the same amount of effort Microsoft is putting in.
    Im not a big fan of sony personally but they didnt make it hard. Your just being extra just to whine. Its literally not hard and if you cant figure it out you dont need to be upgrading it at all. seriously go find somthing else to winge about that makes sense. Especially in todays age if you cant figure out how to install a hard drive you should stay away from computers and consoles and stick to mobile games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Im not a big fan of sony personally but they didnt make it hard. Your just being extra just to whine. Its literally not hard and if you cant figure it out you dont need to be upgrading it at all. seriously go find somthing else to winge about that makes sense. Especially in todays age if you cant figure out how to install a hard drive you should stay away from computers and consoles and stick to mobile games.
    Yeah screw innovation, it's easy enough as is, who cares that Microsoft literally put in the extra effort to make the process as painless as possible.

You fanboys are unbelievable sensitive when it comes to any criticism.

For the record I never said it was hard just needlessly more complicated when compared to what Microsoft is doing with xbox.

And I thought PC gamers could be insufferable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah screw innovation, it's easy enough as is, who cares that Microsoft literally put in the extra effort to make the process as painless as possible.

You fanboys are unbelievable sensitive when it comes to any criticism.

For the record I never said it was hard just needlessly more complicated when compared to what Microsoft is doing with xbox.

And I thought PC gamers could be insufferable.
    Disagreeing with your... take... doesn't make anyone a fanboy. Ignoring the innovation of Sony's storage solution and shilling for Microsoft's simply for being more plug-and-play reeks of sweaty fanboy.
    Make your own groups!!!

Disagreeing with your... take... doesn't make anyone a fanboy. Ignoring the innovation of Sony's storage solution and shilling for Microsoft's simply for being more plug-and-play reeks of sweaty fanboy.
    Sure whatever makes you feel better.

Sure whatever makes you feel better.
    You are the only one in this thread bitching about it....

you are making a mountain out of a molehill...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You are the only one in this thread bitching about it....

you are making a mountain out of a molehill...

All I'm doing is pointing out that how sony is handling the expandable storage is crap. Not only was it not available at launch but when they finally did bring news the news they brought was recommended specs for SSD's and basically told the community to figure out what SSD's will actually work nor can they guarantee the same performance that you would get with the internal SSD. They couldn't even be bothered to provide a shortlist of verified SSD's. But yeah clearly it's no big deal that Sony is putting in the bare minimum amount of effort to bring this feature to users.

I mean this is something Sony can't guarantee will work nor could they test it themselves. That seems like a pretty big warning flag to me.
    Last edited by everydaygamer; 2021-08-03 at 02:52 AM.

All I'm doing is pointing out that how sony is handling the expandable storage is crap.
    Not an elegant solution built around convenience, but also not really a big issue either. I'd be curious as to the numbers on people that actually use expanded/external storage overall, because for all we know it's pretty darned low.

15+ Year Old Account
    All I'm doing is pointing out that how sony is handling the expandable storage is crap.
    Yeah, we got that 4 pages ago. What is there to even talk about anymore?