Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Lines to get tested in Florida are massive. I bet people are asking, "why are these lines so long, damn it's hot. I can't keep doing this." Get a shot, where a mask. Stop voting for people daring you to die like DeSantis.
    My wife had to get the test on Tuesday. She did it at a local Sharp facility near us, and it was in and out without any appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Here in Texas the moron in charge is preventing even the idea of masking up again.
    The worse thing about these anti masks mandate is, how do they know that COVID-19 is the last pandemic in our lifetime? They are literally screwing future infectious disease response.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The worse thing about these anti masks mandate is, how do they know that COVID-19 is the last pandemic in our lifetime? They are literally screwing future infectious disease response.
    That dude doesn't give a damn about people dying or the future. He only cares about the here and now and earning cheap political points from people that don't like wearing masks and telling them what they want to hear for votes.

10+ Year Old Account

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    FFS...

If this shit is going to end the world can it be quicker, this is the slowest start to the zombie apocalypse ever.

(Small joke with a slight grain of truth).

But seriously I'm tired of turning around and seeing some new shit with covid. This virus isn't going away any time soon and its just going to get worse before it gets better if ever.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think this is what people had in mind when they Congress should be bipartisan

https://www.businessinsider.com/lind...ovid-19-2021-8

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It's weird how cases have fallen here in the UK after the restrictions were lifted. I expected the opposite to happen. Is it just because people aren't taking tests anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    It's weird how cases have fallen here in the UK after the restrictions were lifted. I expected the opposite to happen. Is it just because people aren't taking tests anymore?
    Going near test areas with bad protection just asks to get the virus. Could be that? Testing lines should be banned (people standing in long lines one behind another).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Testing will definitely have something to do with it although hospitalizations and deaths over the coming weeks will show what the real situation is.

I'm not sure it's that surprising given that we probably have quite a high level immunity both from vaccines and natural immunity also coupled with the fact that just because restrictions have been lifted doesn't mean people aren't still being cautions and continuing with safety measures.
    Last edited by caractacus; 2021-08-03 at 10:37 AM.

Two jabs only halves the risk of being infected, and just under half the population still haven't had both jabs. On top of that the dominant delta variant is more infectious than the previous one. Maybe it's the school holidays and the drop in testing.

Positivity rate is declining as well, so unless there's some weird change with the tests the simple answer is:
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    footballs finished.
    https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...lia/index.html

- - - Updated - - -

Two jabs only halves the risk of being infected, and just under half the population still haven't had both jabs.
    Two jabs reduces it by perhaps 70-90% depending on vaccine, variant, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Two jabs reduces it by perhaps 70-90% depending on vaccine, variant, etc.
    Is that so? I read in a Guardian article the other day that it reduced risk by about half. Edit: this one https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-across-the-uk

Is that so? I read in a Guardian article the other day that it reduced risk by about half. Edit: this one https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-across-the-uk
    The data from Israel suggest 39% however the whole UK situation is just newspapers trying to get headlines since it's obvious less testing due to schools is the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The data from Israel suggest 39% however the whole UK situation is just newspapers trying to get headlines since it's obvious less testing due to schools is the culprit.
    Well, as the Guardian article note that there was a spike among 20-40 year old males cases old during the Euro 2020 that disappeared afterwards.

The rise and fall of cases was also very sudden if you look at case numbers, whereas school closures, fine weather etc would normally be spready out a bit more; so it is entirely possible that they gave a slow downward trend but the football temporarily caused a spike hiding that - which now has disappeared. If so cases will rise quickly again during the fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well give it another week, to be sure but I think Delta tears through society a lot faster than most people believe.

If this trend holds, U.K. demonstrated nicely that with a vaccination quota of ~70%, heavy handed measures are no longer needed.
    Lets hope it'll be a kick in the butt for our politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well give it another week, to be sure but I think Delta tears through society a lot faster than most people believe.

If this trend holds, U.K. demonstrated nicely that with a vaccination quota of ~70%, heavy handed measures are no longer needed.
    Lets hope it'll be a kick in the butt for our politicians.
    Schools are out and people are on vacation or working from home still and so not mixing; while workplaces and shops are generally strongly advising continued mask wearing and distancing. I've not been anywhere that hasn't requested it, and those not wearing masks seem to be a small minority.

ONS figures and hospital admissions are still going up, albeit more slowly for the former, so it's definitely still out there; just the media is on a crusade to end test and trace isolation and people are eating that up as the problem now rather than the actual disease. A lot of play on test and trace being behind empty shelves in the shops while Brexit seems much more behind that.

As someone whose immune system is shite it's bugging me that people aren't bothering with masks. I get it, they've been jabbed and don't feel like they need it anymore, it's understandable. I just hate it when I get in a cab or some other smallish public space and no-one's using them, I feel like that one guy who turns up to a party in fancy dress, lol. I got a decent amount of FFP3 masks which I'll be using when I need to go out (which isn't all that often tbh). My GP surgery still asks people to use them, and the GP I saw recently was using a surgical mask and face visor.

NYC is going to start requiring people to be vaccinated in order to enter indoor restaurants, fitness centers, entertainment venues, etc.

One of the ways you will be able to "prove" you are vaccinated is by showing your vaccination card at the door (the same one you get filled out after getting the jab).

We have already seen that unvaccinated people are willing to break the rules/laws regarding COVID. Aren't these cards ridiculously easy to fake? What's to stop an unvaccinated person from making their own card?
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    NYC is going to start requiring people to be vaccinated in order to enter indoor restaurants, fitness centers, entertainment venues, etc.

One of the ways you will be able to "prove" you are vaccinated is by showing your vaccination card at the door (the same one you get filled out after getting the jab).

We have already seen that unvaccinated people are willing to break the rules/laws regarding COVID. Aren't these cards ridiculously easy to fake? What's to stop an unvaccinated person from making their own card?
    Same thing that stopped them buying fake mask exemptions on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Same thing that stopped them buying fake mask exemptions on Amazon.
    Can you elaborate on that? I'm not sure what you mean.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020