View Poll Results: What xpac had the more worse story?

Voters
420. This poll is closed
  • WoD

151 35.95%
  • SL

269 64.05%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    To be fair I fully accept that time travel and alternate timelines absolutely fall under "cosmic world ending shit", but for me, personally, it felt very different - it felt grounded - ONCE we were in said alt time line. Orks being Orks, Humans being humans, and the other races being the other races.
    Its a different kind of damage to story. I always said WoD had potential, altho wasted. And when people complained bout WoD story wasn't even in top 20 complaints.

What I expect in these types of games is a story for a teenager movies, bit shallow, but simple and enjoyable. The moment they killed off Voljin to asspull some weird storyline was the moment I snapped.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Both are Terrible, because they have simliar, issues, WOD was all about alternative universe and time travel, SL is the same
    WOD gave us "Oh yea, there might be more then one universe, but the twisting Nether is Just one" which makes no sense
    SL is the same, when Steve was asked about "Which version of Draka is this" he answered, "Its all of them they are all threads in one big rope"

Why cant wejust say each universe has its own twisting nether and SL instead of making One be the all for ll universes it makes to many headaches no wonder alot of lore masters recently, threw in the towel.

Shadowlands is worse, but i'm biased.

As soon as death no longer means death, i get confused.

This is also why I stopped watching Bleach cuz I couldn't understand what exactly the Soul Society was lol

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    Okay.......

I was just answering someones question. No idea why you replied to my post with that.
    Hey,

i just saw the following parts, by a quick look:

WoD had the Garrison campaign… …You also had the legendary ring chain with the Heroic Dungeon, Highmaul and the Blackrock foundry sections at launch. Although you had to wait until BRF released to start that section.

I did not realize you just answered another posters question. And since a few another ppl also drifted a bit away, by talking about the comparisson of the xpacs and their features, i just replied yours with a reminder. more as a common statement, using yours as an example. but maybe i targeted the wrong one. so, i am sorry for that! and this was in no way meant offensive or anything along those lines.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-08-04 at 08:02 AM.

I think WoD was worse. And it's a shame because I like time travel stories but this one just fell flat unfortunately. A lot of missed opportunities.

SL is just pretty 'meh'. The Jailer is essentially Thanos it feels like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    I miss the options: both were horrible and bfa had the best systems and is miles ahead of any expac
    And rename shadowlands into tokenlands

- - - Updated - - -

There is literally nothing worse than shadowlands. We reached the epicentre of low quality polished into lower quality. But heyyy the sheepwhales loooove it. Go decadence, learn humiliation
    love WoWarcraft

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    SL is worse. Sure, WoD was all timey-whimey and infinite demons and what not. But SL is just.... Urgh. Sure, it's unfinished, so it MIGHT suddenly shine but... And Draenor was at least a pretty place with some awesome cinematics and great characters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Shadowlands no longer feels like Warcraft.
    I really agree and that's my biggest gripe.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm that actually maybe why i feel it is worse than WoD, best answer here
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Pretty much this. WoD even for how nonsensical time travel was it at least felt like Warcraft universe, orcs, demons, burning legion. SL is so far detached from what was Warcraft about that it feels like a different game story.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

SL for me : it seems completely out of nowhere. The same story could have been written for any video game / franchise and it wouldn't change a thing.

WoD at least had a legit Warcraft background and core potential, even if Blizz failed completely in setting it up (partly because time travel is always a bad idea to introduce in a storyline)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I think WoD was worse. And it's a shame because I like time travel stories but this one just fell flat unfortunately
    Time travel stories can be great when the whole story revolves around it.
    It never comes out great when you introduce it midway of your lore, as a temporary gimmick, as they did for WoD.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascius View Post
    Pretty much this. WoD even for how nonsensical time travel was it at least felt like Warcraft universe, orcs, demons, burning legion. SL is so far detached from what was Warcraft about that it feels like a different game story.
    Yeah, if the four afterlives had just resembled what we knew, it would probably had been better. Instead we got something like "erm so Kyrians are kinda Val'kyr" and "Venthyr are kinda Nathrezim... Kinda maybe?". Blergh.

SL and its not even close.
    Main reason is that theoretically at the end of WoD we could have just left Draenor, ignored basically everything that happened there, and it would have had no impact on our universe at all. Well, maybe except Garrosh being killed, but that was due either way.

Don't get me wrong, WoD story was absolute terrible, but it did not have those massive negative implications that SL has (and BfA as well).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yeah, if the four afterlives had just resembled what we knew, it would probably had been better. Instead we got something like "erm so Kyrians are kinda Val'kyr" and "Venthyr are kinda Nathrezim... Kinda maybe?". Blergh.

Actually Nathrezim are Venthyr, not the other way around.

SL by far for the very premise of it. afterlife is something that shouldn't be known EVER

at least WoD had a somewhat coherent story and the subplots were interesting. you have no reason at all to care about the shadowlands.
    Last edited by guisadop; 2021-08-04 at 12:45 PM.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    And where are all the savage afterlifes? The Shamanic spirit world, the quilboar afterlife, Ogri'la. We get a glimpse of De Otherside but that should've been an entire zone filled with madness. Where do Furbolgs go?

Both stories are a disaster, but in WoD you knew the franchise would eventually move somewhere familiar to the setting afterwards, like the Legion, Azshara, Zandalar, Kul Tiras or Nzoth. Plus, as some have said, we can ignore it safely and headcanon it out of existence.

What's left after Shadowlands? They've burned through the entire lore of the setting. I can only hope we can ignore it entirely (other than cosmetics) after it's gone.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    SL and its not even close.
    Main reason is that theoretically at the end of WoD we could have just left Draenor, ignored basically everything that happened there, and it would have had no impact on our universe at all. Well, maybe except Garrosh being killed, but that was due either way.

Don't get me wrong, WoD story was absolute terrible, but it did not have those massive negative implications that SL has (and BfA as well).

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Nathrezim are Venthyr, not the other way around
    I'm well aware of that, I was just pointing out how vaguely SL is tied into the rest of the universe.

- - - Updated - - -

And where are all the savage afterlifes? The Shamanic spirit world, the quilboar afterlife, Ogri'la. We get a glimpse of De Otherside but that should've been an entire zone filled with madness. Where do Furbolgs go?
    Exactly that yes.

ofc WOD is worse.. timetravel crap is always garbage

Quote Originally Posted by uncl55 View Post
    ofc WOD is worse.. timetravel crap is always garbage
    RIGHT??

Why do people keep doing it! UGH /sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by Elyiandris View Post
    Both stories are a disaster, but in WoD you knew the franchise would eventually move somewhere familiar to the setting afterwards, like the Legion, Azshara, Zandalar, Kul Tiras or Nzoth. Plus, as some have said, we can ignore it safely and headcanon it out of existence.

What's left after Shadowlands? They've burned through the entire lore of the setting. I can only hope we can ignore it entirely (other than cosmetics) after it's gone.
    The way these self-congratulatory dimwits are constructing the Shadowlands by setting up all these mystery boxes no one cares about makes me think that we're not going to see any 'real' Warcraft content anymore. It's just going to be more bland Danuser mumbo-jumbo with no basis in Warcraft lore, devoid of interesting characters & locations, internal consistency or any respect for the history of this universe.

At least you can buy a few more books every year that try to piece together this botched abomination of a story.

This is what you get when you put some bald contrarian in charge of the story who thinks stuff like GoT season 8 (which was so horrendous that it single-handedly purged all interest for the setting from everyone's minds) is 'genius' while larping on twitter as his cringe self-insert character.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

They even deprived themselves of the means to retcon it effectively. Story-wise they can't even blow up the shadow lands and roll with 'all death is permanent now' as that would rob the place for many of these godlike beings to interact with the world of the living as well.