Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    try changing the tab target method there are a few options in the settings somewhere.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I'm bummed you don't get to try any of the new classes in the trial. I at least wanted to try machinist since I'm not a big fan of bard and wanted to see what the other ranged physical DPS is like.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm bummed you don't get to try any of the new classes in the trial. I at least wanted to try machinist since I'm not a big fan of bard and wanted to see what the other ranged physical DPS is like.
    You can try them in the trial, just need to get to the point in the MSQ where you can unlock them, which is Ishgard. You have to complete all of the ARR MSQ including patches 2.1 - 2.55 in order to access Ishgard, but once there you'll get access to Dark Knight, Machinist and Astrologian.

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Story is good.

All content even from past expansions remains relevant. Fact that Asmongold was not only able to find a group for ARR raids but also get a decent challenge out of them this late into the game's life cycle says a lot.

Compare this to WoW where welfare epics and catch-up gear make every single piece of content except for the latest raid irrelevant. Where Timewalking is heavily and disgustingly under-utilized.
    You mention welfare epics but dont mention crafted gear in ffxiv is 510, 20 ilvls lower than the best raid gear. The gear you get from old content is still irrelevant, you get synced down.

The only coherent comparison in your post is timewalking vs level sync.

Tired of people making this claim “all content is relevant”. No its not. There’s literally no more reason to go into coils of bahamat than there is to go into dragon soul or molten core other than itll be fun. The only difference is that theres an accessibility interface to run it whereas wow raid dont have such a thing beside lfr for max level content.

Its more like content can be done as it was then now than it being relevant.

Btw i love ffxiv and been playing since about a month before heavensward.
    Last edited by Usernameforforums; 2021-08-04 at 02:07 PM.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You can try them in the trial, just need to get to the point in the MSQ where you can unlock them, which is Ishgard. You have to complete all of the ARR MSQ including patches 2.1 - 2.55 in order to access Ishgard, but once there you'll get access to Dark Knight, Machinist and Astrologian.
    Ah, okay, I didn't know the MSQ was required (though I should have). I hit 50 and thought that was the only barrier of entry. Good to know, thanks!
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Ah, okay, I didn't know the MSQ was required (though I should have). I hit 50 and thought that was the only barrier of entry. Good to know, thanks!
    Level 50 and completing the Ultima Weapon quest are the requirements for Red Mage and Samurai, but you have to have Stormblood registered on your account to access them which requires a subscription. For Dancer and Gunbreaker the requirement is be level 60 and have Shadowbringers registered.

Here's a high level guide on how to unlock which jobs.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Job

Enjoy!

Wow made me feel like I was just wasting time, FFXIV makes me want to waste my time.
    That is something someone quoted in another post. I feel that is 100% how I feel about the game. While I am only 42 on level and MSQ, even some of the side things like the golden saucer, or what I have seen from glamour or whatever feels not mandatory, but optional.

Overall, I really enjoy the way the MSQs handle the narrative and how each dungeon and zone is woven into the overall story. What you do for MSQ is all towards the main story, which is a refreshing RPG like change. FF14 is an story driven RPG-MMO where WOW was an MMO with some RPG elements thrown in and some general 1000 foot view semi predictable story telling.

I am holding judgement on the combat system until 80 since I don’t have all my oGCD abilities to help fill in the gap. Combat I do feel is slower and maybe not as quick and responsive as WOW is. I also need to try more jobs like Samurai or others to see which feel faster to play.

Single toon for everything is also nice and even how they handle professions as their own class is pretty cool.

Learn to slow down, read everything, take in the story. That is the best advice and still hard for me to break that mentality from wow. ha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, Asmongold's experience really gives people the wrong impression. There's no reason to go back and do unsync Coils other than "just because", and you're unlikely to find a group of people willing to just jump in and do it with you the way he did. It's sad, because I've seen a shitload of sprouts ask, "I'm trying to get into Coils but it never pops and there's no groups in party finder, what's going on?"

Older content doesn't really stay "relevant" other than existing in roulettes so veterans have a reason to end up in them once a day and help new players. Beside that, there's no reason or benefit to do lower level stuff. Even when synced it doesn't give appropriate XP or gear drops.

Raids, ironically, are the one thing that the game does NOT require you to progress through in sequence. So XIV largely has the same issue that WoW does in this regard - the newest raid is the only "relevant" one in this context. The first Eden raids drop 450 ilvl and Savage drops 470. The second tier drops 500 in Savage. When the last Eden tier came out, Exarchic came with it (510 crafted, 520 augmented). And that's not getting into tomestones. So when discussing relevancy in this context, it's not much different from WoW.

(Someone jump in and correct me on those numbers if I'm off.)

In many ways, the game isn't THAT different. People just get certain impressions and start repeating them, and before you know it people start claiming that it's "common knowledge" that all content in XIV is relevant, that you can just do anything to stay current, that the gear doesn't really matter, etc etc.
    It all makes sense when you realize that 90% of the people who talk recently about FFXIV only joined 1-2 months ago and are still doing talking points from their Youtube idols and the obfuscation (localization, conventions, explanations) in the game are much more confusing than WoW, so even though it's a WoW-type game there are some areas that are more artificially confusing.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

"well, i am content to leave the barrier to cleverer minds..."

I just really like Hien. Also, im totally happy with the story arc of shadowhunter and his scalp collection.

Also, just imagine not 3? 4? years ago hitting this point and having no idea whats coming? I too have no idea whats coming, but ive just gotta beat a dungeon to find out. I feel like im 'playing in the ruins'.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-08-05 at 12:34 PM.

I've finished Realm Reborn (currently gathering up quests to unlock all the hard mode versions). I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but the one the big things that I find bad and needs redone is the character model rigging/animations and facial animations (in all the 8.7 million various cut scenes). I can overlook some of the poor dubbing that's in the game, but the almost always stoic looks on faces as they're speaking to you, like they just had 300 botox injections right before speaking to you, is maddening.

Yeah, Asmongold's experience really gives people the wrong impression. There's no reason to go back and do unsync Coils other than "just because", and you're unlikely to find a group of people willing to just jump in and do it with you the way he did.
    Except like...a guild/fc.

Nothing, I got to over 60 and sick of it, the game is a good single player game but a sucky mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Nothing, I got to over 60 and sick of it, the game is a good single player game but a sucky mmo.
    Yeah, right. So you managed to hit level 60 without playing with other players or what makes you feel that way?
    How can this be a good single player game?

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

I mean, even among the most ardent supporters of XIV, it is often referred to as a JRPG first and MMO second. Even on this very forum, as well.

It's not a bad thing. A lot of people enjoy approaching the game this way. It's perfectly possible and reasonable to approach XIV as a mostly single-player experience, going through the story and only really grouping when the mechanics demand it.
    Maybe true, I don't know, I'm playing for less than 2 months and I never even had a slight feeling that I'm playing a single player game.
    I'm probably missing something here.

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

I mean, even among the most ardent supporters of XIV, it is often referred to as a JRPG first and MMO second. Even on this very forum, as well.

It's not a bad thing. A lot of people enjoy approaching the game this way. It's perfectly possible and reasonable to approach XIV as a mostly single-player experience, going through the story and only really grouping when the mechanics demand it.
    People that call it JRPG first are too generous, most of MSQ is low budget visual novel.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Yes, but that wasn't the point, now was it?
    Well it kinda is. MMORPGs are always better if you find yourself a guild. Playing the game by yourself will make things a lot more difficult for you. It's the exact same thing in WoW, if you're not in a guild you're literally making things take a lot longer to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtlits View Post
    Learn to slow down, read everything, take in the story. That is the best advice and still hard for me to break that mentality from wow. ha
    WoW's combat system is sufficient enough to entertain the MMO grinding crowd for years, while still challenges competitive players to keep them entertained aswell.

But different games are different.

I would not call FF a MASSIVE, like a MASSIVE SERVER CRUSHING MULTIPLAYER game. The genre is at least 30 years old and while WoW could be compared to M56 or EQ pretty easy on basic fundamental levels, FF is pretty much a different genre. If you like FF you might just not like real MMOs.
    -

One question I have for our more seasoned 14'ers is soloing old content something people do? Is it rewarding? Does it have a point? How does it work?

Just been curious since I got a job of each role up to 80 now and was curious if it was worth doing for whatever reason like it is in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    One question I have for our more seasoned 14'ers is soloing old content something people do?
    Soloing old content is pretty hard. It's not like WoW where you can reasonably farm the last expansion's raids for transmog. As a level 80 (current max level), it is possible (with difficulty) to solo level 60 raids (content from 2 expansions ago). Right now it is extremely, extremely difficult to solo level 70 raids (from the last expansion) and only certain jobs can do it.

Is it rewarding? Does it have a point?
    Farming for glamour and mounts, same as in WoW except you don't make money doing it like in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Soloing old content is pretty hard. It's not like WoW where you can reasonably farm the last expansion's raids for transmog. As a level 80 (current max level), it is possible (with difficulty) to solo level 60 raids (content from 2 expansions ago). Right now it is extremely, extremely difficult to solo level 70 raids (from the last expansion) and only certain jobs can do it.

Farming for glamour and mounts, same as in WoW except you don't make money doing it like in WoW.
    I thought soloing last xpack raids in wow was basically exclusively something pretty good skilled tanks with self healing could do and only 'easily' with late patch gear, at-least in full, i remember trying hellfire citadel on a i think affliction warlock in legion and couldn't get past first boss. But then the difficulty of soloing old content in wow varies so much with all the balance reworks they keep doing.

But yeah the power difference in FF14 is less between xpacks then in wow, my 80 machinist could get down to 20% health soloing lvl 60 hard 4man dungeons. Where in wow you would probably one shot everything and not take a hit unless it's some unavoidable auto hit mechanic in equivalent old content.