Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Good answers and thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

I had no idea flying was in this game since the zones are instanced, so there's that.

I just got 50 on a Ninja and loving the playstyle. My main on BCC is a Lock, and Ninja is so much more involved. No idea what to do now, so trudging along on the main quest. I do enjoy that the full party content forces you to watch the cutscenes. The story is kind of whatever, as I didn't really play FF at all growing up - -that being said, I still like it. There's a lot to learn so I'm stoked to see what's to come.

Not alot.

99% of the armor looks bad.

Takes 60 levels before combat isn't boring.

You slide around when you use any animation, alot of the animations suck.

Weird overly sexualized everything.

Gear hardly matters.

Skill is very low unless you seek out challenges.

Tons of pointless side stuff.

My female elf looks like david spade.

I will say tho.
    Some cool boss/enemies designs and typical interesting writing from Japan.
    Last edited by Drench; 2021-08-05 at 06:00 PM.

I like the gamplay and how the story neatly weaves into it. That you can be all classes into one character is fun and how your class evolves as your character progresses is an interesting way to progress your character over waiting until end game and farming specific pieces of raid gear to have your gameplay change that wow has.

That being said the story is way too long and too many missions are move from x to y which is not that fun. This is a personal thing but the anime aesthetic or whatever Asian thing its called kinda creep me out a little. Thats a personal taste, I am sure to others its a plus

Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post
    Nothing. 99% of the armor looks bad.

Takes 60 levels before combat isn't boring.

You slide around when you use any animation, alot of the animations suck.

Weird overly sexualized everything.

Gear hardly matters.

Skill is very low unless you seek out challenges.

Tons of pointless side stuff.

My female elf looks like david spade.

Some cool boss/enemies designs and typical interesting writing from Japan.
    Why have you changed from WoW to FFXIV if you feel like that?

Edit: Oh sorry, judging by your post history you haven't, you're just here trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Why have you changed from WoW to FFXIV if you feel like that?

Edit: Oh sorry, judging by your post history you haven't, you're just here trolling.
    Right now wow is kinda boring. Lots of friends quit. I'm not really trolling. Just giving a more direct/simple answer.

But the answer it was free to try. Just not for me. I get why anime fans like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    Maybe true, I don't know, I'm playing for less than 2 months and I never even had a slight feeling that I'm playing a single player game.
    I'm probably missing something here.
    The fact that everyone has to go through the same MSQ process and group content is required has made a difference for me. I've done more dungeons in the past couple of months than I have in the past several years in WoW.* I see a bunch of people everywhere while leveling whereas in WoW, depending on which zones/Chromie time I picked, I may never see anyone. People also talk in party, which is unusual coming from WoW.

The only thing that makes it seem single player are the cutscenes. Even all 3 major cities (in ARR at least) are usually packed with people, compared to WoW where if you're in any city but SW/Org you're probably only going to see a couple other people.

* Still not sure how I feel about this either. I really dislike forced group content, but for the most part it hasn't been that bad so far.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, Asmongold's experience really gives people the wrong impression. There's no reason to go back and do unsync Coils other than "just because", and you're unlikely to find a group of people willing to just jump in and do it with you the way he did. It's sad, because I've seen a shitload of sprouts ask, "I'm trying to get into Coils but it never pops and there's no groups in party finder, what's going on?"

Older content doesn't really stay "relevant" other than existing in roulettes so veterans have a reason to end up in them once a day and help new players. Beside that, there's no reason or benefit to do lower level stuff. Even when synced it doesn't give appropriate XP or gear drops.

Raids, ironically, are the one thing that the game does NOT require you to progress through in sequence. So XIV largely has the same issue that WoW does in this regard - the newest raid is the only "relevant" one in this context. The first Eden raids drop 450 ilvl and Savage drops 470. The second tier drops 500 in Savage. When the last Eden tier came out, Exarchic came with it (510 crafted, 520 augmented). And that's not getting into tomestones. So when discussing relevancy in this context, it's not much different from WoW.

(Someone jump in and correct me on those numbers if I'm off.)

In many ways, the game isn't THAT different. People just get certain impressions and start repeating them, and before you know it people start claiming that it's "common knowledge" that all content in XIV is relevant, that you can just do anything to stay current, that the gear doesn't really matter, etc etc.
    This is disingenuous at best. I've done all of the old content without any problems, and people join PFs all the time to do it. It's all relevant because you can do it at any time and it's still fun, which is not possible in WoW. Some streamers tried to do this a while back with project 60/70 but because even at the appropriate level with gear attainable in vanilla or BC, the content was still far easier than it was on classic, it didn't really catch on.

The difference between WoW and FFXIV is that the only thing to do in the game isn't constantly pushing your player power. This determines relevancy. There are minimum ilvls for content, but there's nothing compelling you to go for BiS unless that's something you want to do. Conversely, that's all there is to do in WoW. All the content in the game is about feeding your borrowed power addiction and getting gear because the only content that's remotely interesting is the latest patch raid as a result, which is not tuned around an easily attainable min ilvl, but instead around having gear from the instance, making it necessary for most groups to be in as much gear as they can possibly get.

You can do everything you want in the game right now at 510. You don't need 530 gear. You can still get a challenge from level 70 content, or from ARR content. Towelliee recently finished 5.0. He's wearing 500+ gear because it's so easy to gear up with crafted, then made a party full of geared people to do the last 5.0 trial. The min ilvl is 410, so the boss just evaporated and nothing was a threat. On headstart when I did that trial with a bunch of people 420 and blind, it was incredible fun, despite about 3-4 wipes, and it's not even an extreme. He just stood there not playing well and never even learned what any of the mechanics did. This is basically what WoW raiding is to most people, and yes, max sync basically gives the same experience in FFXIV, but the point is that gear isn't actually necessary, so the onus of playing isn't "just get the best gear."

That's just further exacerbated in FFXIV by the fact that it's so easy to get BiS, which is literally unattainable in WoW. So saying things like coils isn't relevant because it doesn't drop 530 gear is nonsense, unless you sync it you're not experiencing anything worth doing, and syncing makes having any gear beyond ARR completely irrelevant anyway. You fundamentally can't do this in WoW. You used to be able to equip old gear and do older raids in the latest expansion, but borrowed power systems make even that impossible.

The fundamental problem that WoW has design wise (aside from obvious glaring problems) is precisely this issue. It's an MMO with 17 years of content that feels like it has maybe 1-2 weeks worth of relevant content for a new player, and then only endless grinds. Blizzard can't design around it, and timewalking has been a failure because you can't band-aid it. When players expressed frustration over this deprecation of content by design, asking to have the old content be relevant again, J. Allen Brack famously said "you think you do, but you don't." What is WoW Classic but just emulating what FFXIV has built in?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a lot, honestly. To be fair I tried the game at launch after being pretty excited about it and really didn't like it, but I have a friend that adores it and I've tried to like it off and on for a couple years now for his sake. I don't like the combat, I don't like the gearing system, I don't like the character models, I can't invested in the story but I've never really been able to get into the story in JRPGs. Before Classic it was a good time waster during the lulls in WoW. It's okay as far as MMOs go, it'll never replace WoW for me, but I guess if WoW and SWTOR both shut off tomorrow I'd probably force myself to play FFXIV because that's where the community is.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    - 99% of the armor looks bad: Super wrong, plate armor here looks like REAL plate armor, not that crap we use in WoW. You can actually look like a real Knight, Mage or Archer. The RP elements in the armor design is clear + you are able to change your plate to look like "regular clothes", for example, my Lancer is using a Dress i got from the Gold Saucer. And my main job as Paladin, has an amazing Plate armor i got from the quests + Awesome weapons from the quests.
    It's possible he's talking about giant shoulderpads, which are absent in FFXIV.

- Takes 60 levels before combat isn't boring: Wrong again, the real game starts after level 20 in MSQ. Once you get here, you have everything you need, from Mount to Retailers and INN + the ability to travel everywhere. flying is unlocked at 60, but you really dont need it at lower levels, you just need to teleport anywhere you need. After level 60, you get into Heavesward and the story is what it gets better.
    I'd argue that he is correct. Vanilla ARR jobs do not get their fun class mechanics until the mid 60s, but mobs in the overworld die so quickly you'll never really get a chance to utilize your class mechanics outside of instances, but instances level cap you. So you won't be able to use your fun class mechanics until you reach Stormblood content, which is 200+ hours into the game. You only get to use your fun class mechanics earlier if you play Ninja, Samurai, Red Mage, Gunbreaker, or Dancer.

I wouldn't worry about replying to people coming to a thread asking "what do you like" and replying with what they dislike. It's probably just trolling. Don't feed them.

And how hard is to get into level 30?....Not at all!. Is super easy to get to level 30, they even give you a ring with +30% experience to help you on that + food xp bonus.
    People dont get it, that you level super fast on this game. All the time during my time doing MSQ, i was ahead of the level requirement for the quest.
    You misunderstand. It does not matter how fast you level up if you can't use your mechanics in any content. Just because you reach level 50 in a few hours doesn't mean you can use your level 50 mechanics. As said before, mobs in the overworld die so fast you never get a chance to use your dragon gauge or your 3 minute summoner cycle or whatever. The only content in the game where you actually get a chance to use your mechanics is in instances. Instances in FFXIV level cap you. If you are level 50 and queue into Sastasha, you're capped at using your level 18 abilities and literally cannot use any higher level abilities beyond level 18.

Vanilla ARR jobs unlock their core class mechanics in the mid 60s. You don't unlock any instanced content that lets you use those mechanics until Stormblood, which is 200+ hours into the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of these points are wrong:

- 99% of the armor looks bad: Super wrong, plate armor here looks like REAL plate armor, not that crap we use in WoW. You can actually look like a real Knight, Mage or Archer. The RP elements in the armor design is clear + you are able to change your plate to look like "regular clothes", for example, my Lancer is using a Dress i got from the Gold Saucer. And my main job as Paladin, has an amazing Plate armor i got from the quests + Awesome weapons from the quests.

- Takes 60 levels before combat isn't boring: Wrong again, the real game starts after level 20 in MSQ. Once you get here, you have everything you need, from Mount to Retailers and INN + the ability to travel everywhere. flying is unlocked at 60, but you really dont need it at lower levels, you just need to teleport anywhere you need. After level 60, you get into Heavesward and the story is what it gets better.

- You slide around when you use any animation, alot of the animations suck: Nop, If WoW actually have half of these animations, my character in WoW would actually look far more better than just a robot. Even in ElderScrolls Online, you are able to unlock personalities, WoW on the other hand, has really poor and old animations that no longer fits today standards.

- Weird overly sexualized everything: Again wrong, the PLAYERs are the ones to be blamed here. skimpy armor and bikinis are just a few of the items you can get. Main characters in the story + alt characters are normally dressed. I never saw sexualization of the main characters. My female character for example, uses Plate armor and normal clothes to tell you the true, there so many better options to dress your character than using bikini....

- Gear hardly matters.: Wrong, is super important. There is Item level requirements in order to join some Duties and Raids. Also, it provides the power you need to kill enemies faster just like in any MMO. In WoW you have Item level, In FF14 you also have it!.

- Skill is very low unless you seek out challenges: I faced many wipes even in Dungeons. So the challenge increases as you advance into the MSQ. Once again, i started to believed that you are not playing the game....

- Tons of pointless side stuff: I never seen anything pointless...If we turn that into WoW, 90% of WoW content is now pointless, thanks to their game design. In FF14, everything stays relevant.

- My female elf looks like david spade: You are the one to be blamed. My character looks amazing, my Elezen looks like a real bard.
    YOu do know a lot of his points are incredibly subjective opinions, right?

Claiming that they are wrong, because they don't like the gear sets is really weird.

And some of the things he says are true.

Unless you are doing ala mhigo or some dungeons in SHB, they are pretty easy.

You don't need to refute anything, people asked for his opinion and he gave it.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    YOu do know a lot of his points are incredibly subjective opinions, right?

Claiming that they are wrong, because they don't like the gear sets is really weird.

And some of the things he says are true.

Unless you are doing ala mhigo or some dungeons in SHB, they are pretty easy.

You don't need to refute anything, people asked for his opinion and he gave it.
    Actually no one asked for their opinion considering this thread is supposed to be about positive things and they listed a bunch of things they don't like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Actually no one asked for their opinion considering this thread is supposed to be about positive things and they listed a bunch of things they don't like.
    I don't think that it matters that much that this thread is about positive things. When you discuss things you like about something it is just natural that you discuss a couple of things you don't like. Unless you want to be pedantic about it and say: ONLY GOOD THINGS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It'd not the very best gear, it's just near the highest ilevel gear in the game. Raiding will still get you slightly better gear.

Gear bought with Allagan Tomestones of Revelation gives you ilevel 520 Cryptlurker gear, which can be upgraded into ilevel 530 gear.
    The last tier of Eden (latest raid in the game) on savage difficulty drops ilevel 535 Edenmorn gear.

- - - Updated - - -

The hardest content in the game are the Ultimate Raids, but they are level synced (having higher ilevel gear is irrelevant because you get scaled down), and they do not give you high ilevel gear. They only give you pretty glowing weapons for glamour purposes.
    I didn't know that....you know the irony here is the same people who would complain about WoW giving out free epics probably have tons of praise for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    I didn't know that....you know the irony here is the same people who would complain about WoW giving out free epics probably have tons of praise for XIV
    I think it's because the FFXIV fandom is newer and grew up with different expectations than the WoW fandom. The WoW fandom remembers a time when cool armor was hard earned. If you rocked awesome glowing shoulderpads, you were either a top end PvPer or you were an accomplished raider. The introduction of LFR that gave you cool recolored shoulderpads felt like a spit in the face for many people who felt that earning them was a mark of prestige. The FFXIV fandom is newer and didn't have those expectations. Tomestones existed in ARR so that's what people are used to: buying good gear with a currency without having to really do anything hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post
    Gear hardly matters.
    I'll comment only on this part as I cba to discuss all points. Currently I'm level 60. When I got to that level I had around 20k hp. Right now I have 32k due to better gear. If this is "hardly matters" then I can't imagine what stat boost gained from gear would satisfy you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you dont like the game, then dont move into the game, simple as that. People who throws at you negative feedback, is because prob they are trolling or just angry that FF14 is actually doing far more better than WoW these days. Same happens when i speak of ElderScrolls Online, people just give a negative opinion to me, just for the sake of denying my comment.

So, if i shared what i enjoyed about the game, is because that is the main topic of this thread...right?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, yea, its the way i see the game. And i know is wrong, because most of those points are clearly wrong af. And one example is that, not liking the gear sets....

The reason i refute them, is because is clear trolling from this guy, to come to a thread that ask you about positive things, and you only share....negative things. Or I'm wrong?
    Well, the more realistic artstyly does throw me off a little bit. Sure, the level 50-60-70-80 gear sets are pretty cool, but anything in between is... well, bad IMO. And even some of those class sets don't look as good as it could.

I play as a scholar, and I swear to god, if I see one more gear set that makes me look like a just graduated college student, that somehow got a gig as a teacher, I WILL break something. IMHO, it varies a lot.

Eh, he might be trolling he might not, but I'm not sure yet. Although I do give the benefit of the doubt a lot.

don't come to me and tell me its wrong from FF14 to give me a Paladin set after doing a long quest.
    I don't believe I said that the old WoW model was better. I was talking about the difference in audience expectations and why there was whining about one game but not in the other.