Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

What does resilience do in PvE?

I have been reading so many guides online on a couple sites where PvP gear is being recommended as "good alternatives" in terms of gear for BiS lists or for threat management for tanks. Mind you I'm referring to lists specifically for tanks not other classes. They reference the crit immunity break point when they refer to these PvP pieces. So I ask, what exactly does resilience do in a PvE setting in BC?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    it literally tells you what it does in the game when you hover over the stat on your character pannel

Resilience is for tanks to help reach crit immunity.

Other than that, it has 0 use.

As for gear with resilience, some pieces of gear might have more favourable stats or are sidegrades for RNG pieces from raids or heroic dungeons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    it literally tells you what it does in the game when you hover over the stat on your character pannel
    I know what it says and my question is does it include PvE setting or just PvP environment? Resilience didn't state in retail that it is against other players (before resilience was taken out of the game and replaced with versatility on PvP gear which actually DOES work in a PvE environment).

From memory, druid tanks used it to work on crit immunity, but I honestly cannot remember the details, and could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

it probably does work in pve but honestly its a shit stat that isn't worth stacking in pve. it takes up stat weights that could be some other more useful pve stat.

does it work in pve yes, if you have enough resilience to reduce crits by 1% then you would need less defence to be crit immune. similarly it reduces mana drains and critical damage by a %, which are great in pvp, not so amazing in pve. mainly because, no one should really be getting crit in pve to the point that you need resilience to help mitigate it. and there are also next to no mana drains. at least none that can be substantially mitigated by resilience.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-06-28 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    it probably does work in pve but honestly its a shit stat that isn't worth stacking in pve. it takes up stat weights that could be some other more useful pve stat.

does it work in pve yes, if you have enough resilience to reduce crits by 1% then you would need less defence to be crit immune. similarly it reduces mana drains and critical damage by a %, which are great in pvp, not so amazing in pve. mainly because, no one should really be getting crit in pve to the point that you need resilience to help mitigate it. and there are also next to no mana drains. at least none that can be mitigated by resilience.
    Yeah this is how I remember it, and for some weird reason I have distinct memories of Bears using 1 or 2 resil items because they have nothing better for those slots, and something was better than nothing. However, in 99% of cases, its just a "well shit, my boots STILL havnt dropped, I guess ill keep wearing these resil ones for now". Its just not as good as other stats.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

All tanks can and should use it when warranted to assist them with reaching uncritable if that's a desireable state for your character.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Yeah this is how I remember it, and for some weird reason I have distinct memories of Bears using 1 or 2 resil items because they have nothing better for those slots, and something was better than nothing. However, in 99% of cases, its just a "well shit, my boots STILL havnt dropped, I guess ill keep wearing these resil ones for now". Its just not as good as other stats.
    think you are right it probably is druids that will end up using it since there is less leather with defence than there is plate. so palas and warriors don't really have much trouble hitting def cap, while druids may struggle a bit to get enough defence, they can do things like resilience enchants, there is a 15 resil enchant for chest pieces I didn't need it on my war but I can see a druid getting closer to crit cap by stacking some resil gear instead of defence gear.

think you are right it probably is druids that will end up using it since there is less leather with defence than there is plate. so palas and warriors don't really have much trouble hitting def cap, while druids may struggle a bit to get enough defence, they can do things like resilience enchants, there is a 15 resil enchant for chest pieces I didn't need it on my war but I can see a druid getting closer to crit cap by stacking some resil gear instead of defence gear.
    Yeah, like i said my memory of TBC in general is fucking shaky at best, but it has stuck with me that bears used some resil gear purely because there was nothing better. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of TBC can confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I know what it says and my question is does it include PvE setting or just PvP environment? Resilience didn't state in retail that it is against other players (before resilience was taken out of the game and replaced with versatility on PvP gear which actually DOES work in a PvE environment).
    It does the same thing in PVE as it does for PVP. It reduces the chance that you will be critically hit (and also reduces the damage of crits that do land).

The reason this is useful for a tank is because tanks actually get hit in PVE whereas DPS and healers don’t, and if they do, they are dead anyway, crit or not.

The reason a tank wears defense gear, is to have so much avoidance that there is no room for crits left on the hit table. This means every hit on a properly geared tank will never crit. Furthermore they want to push crushing blows off the hit table. You can’t do this with gear alone, but spells like shield block increase your block by enough that you can push them off while the spell is active.

Bears often use a bit of resilience gear to reach the defense cap because there isn’t quite as much defense leather items available to them as there is defense plate items for Warriors and Paladins. Bears can’t push crushing blows off the hit table so they can still receive one and often do, but they have more armor so they don’t get crushed for as much as a plate tank.

A warrior or Paladin could also wear some resilience gear to reach defense cap.

It is better to wear defense gear as a tank, generally, because the defense stat also increases your chance to dodge, parry and block, whereas resilience does not.

TLDR: wear resilience gear in PVP. If you are a tank, wear defense gear in PVE and if you can’t get enough, or you have a particularly good resilience piece, wear that.
    Last edited by Spazlord; 2021-06-28 at 03:26 AM.

In tbc there is no difference between pvp or pve. Does the same thing for both and in the same amounts.

Useful for tanks that are not crit immune and druid bears I think .. at least until they can get their hands on a proper tank item.

In addition to what others have said: Warlocks/Mages can use it when tanking encounters like HKM to have higher health pools than their PVE gear gives.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Yeah, like i said my memory of TBC in general is fucking shaky at best, but it has stuck with me that bears used some resil gear purely because there was nothing better. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of TBC can confirm.
    In S3/4 they used the PvP items because they are insanely well itemised, high armor, high stamina, great dps stats and resilience to help with crit cap.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    In addition to what others have said: Warlocks/Mages can use it when tanking encounters like HKM to have higher health pools than their PVE gear gives.
    Thanks Deferionus!
    I've been assigned as Warlock Tank for the SSC release, and I'm gearing up. I'm thinking the Season 1 PVP Bracers with 25 Stam and 14 Res. would be better than the Kara bracers with 27 Stam. On Paper, it seems that reducing the crit damage would provide more value than 20 HP.
    Is this logic sound?

Quote Originally Posted by atops View Post
    Thanks Deferionus!
    I've been assigned as Warlock Tank for the SSC release, and I'm gearing up. I'm thinking the Season 1 PVP Bracers with 25 Stam and 14 Res. would be better than the Kara bracers with 27 Stam. On Paper, it seems that reducing the crit damage would provide more value than 20 HP.
    Is this logic sound?
    Just a heads up, spells from npcs cannot crit. Go with the stam

I was lead to believe it was more that 2 stats from Defense are wasted for druids, who cannot parry or block (right?, or at least cannot block and I was always told druids parry with their face...) so resilience scales better for uncrittability compared to defense for them; whereas Paladins and Warriors get much more mitigation alongside the uncritability.

Rather than a scarcity of leather gear with defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I was lead to believe it was more that 2 stats from Defense are wasted for druids, who cannot parry or block (right?, or at least cannot block and I was always told druids parry with their face...) so resilience scales better for uncrittability compared to defense for them; whereas Paladins and Warriors get much more mitigation alongside the uncritability.

Rather than a scarcity of leather gear with defense.
    its a little of both.

Things actually do what they say they do in old WoW. There are very few exceptions, like crowd control diminishing returns for some CCs. Resilience does the same thing regardless of where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by atops View Post
    Thanks Deferionus!
    Is this logic sound?
    As a warlock tank for leo all you need is fire resistance and a big health pool. There is no need to go for pvp items if you have pve gear with more stam.