Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    The original idea of a RPG (e.g. DND etc) was about character progression - right now that all happens during levelling, and literally stops at max level when you gain no more inherent power.
    Due to the bizarre design of the game you now lose power as you level at the start of an expansion. It's counter-intuitive and a complete turn-off for those who do not understand the math of why that has to happen. It's perhaps the best example of how badly they have fucked up this part of the game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Due to the bizarre design of the game you now lose power as you level at the start of an expansion. It's counter-intuitive and a complete turn-off for those who do not understand the math of why that has to happen. It's perhaps the best example of how badly they have fucked up this part of the game.
    What's the alternative? At some point we just do 13,500% of every secondary? ._.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    What's the alternative? At some point we just do 13,500% of every secondary? ._.
    Stat templates would be one, static values would be another.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    Its a mmo. Having players with a vague sense of what they are doing trumps watching a story that ends with the players fighting thanos.
    I think you have a bad idea just like so many bad ideas that people post here.,
    I'm a crazy taco.

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    Stat templates would be one, static values would be another.
    How are either of those better than the current solution? Yeah, it kind of sucks that you're less powerful as you level at first but you eventually get the power back (usually tenfold by the end of the expansion).

10+ Year Old Account
    How are either of those better than the current solution? Yeah, it kind of sucks that you're less powerful as you level at first but you eventually get the power back (usually tenfold by the end of the expansion).
    I didn't say they were better, just reasonable alternatives.
    Make your own groups!!!

I didn't say they were better, just reasonable alternatives.
    If the alternative isn't an improvement over the current situation then what's the purpose of introducing it? /shrug

I'm willing to admit there are better solutions possible but I don't think this particular issue is endemic of an overarching massive problem with the game as a whole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    One thing I still struggle to grasp is how every expansion, we go from saviors of the world and defeating literal gods to "A turtle has made it to water!" and please go kill 5 snails for me. I think when it comes to leveling, the whole world needs a revamp and zones need to feel more and more dangerous as you progress.
    Selling myself out below

Leveling is antiquated. Since when is the purpose of an RPG simply leveling? Linear character progression doesn't have to be tied to a single numerical value.

For you maybe. Please go play some other game that doesn't have leveling if thats what you like and don't ruin others enjoyment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    For you maybe. Please go play some other game that doesn't have leveling if thats what you like and don't ruin others enjoyment.
    I think what he is trying to say is that with the countless zones and worlds we have, maybe they shouldn't make leveling as linear as it is. Maybe every zone can be the "Final" zone that has it's own story and gives a unique reward? If you follow the Illidan story, you progress through Outlands and Dreanor, but if you want to follow in the footsteps of Arthas, you would go through Northrend, Shadowland, and stuff. Your leveling is based on the lore you decide you want to follow. Not a zone by zone type.
    Selling myself out below

I'd rather continue to just pay to be boosted and pay for heroic runs with gear funnels than actually learn to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the alternative isn't an improvement over the current situation then what's the purpose of introducing it? /shrug

I'm willing to admit there are better solutions possible but I don't think this particular issue is endemic of an overarching massive problem with the game as a whole.
    Less balancing, more story content?
    Make your own groups!!!

Another example on why developers shouldn't really listen to the player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Another example on why developers shouldn't really listen to the player base.
    Not listening has worked really well so far
    Make your own groups!!!

No one I have ever met who plays this game at a high level expects people to "pay their dues" by wasting their time leveling. The insistence on forced time-wasting is exclusively a "my main is ilvl 200 and the extent to which I engage with World of Warcraft includes transmog farming and soloing ICC when I can be bothered because I want Invincible" thing.

With a series of challenges that give hard pass/fails on your class.

Something like a proving ground but tailored to each class specifically. Add to that a basic rotation guide and you could reduce leveling to roughly an hour and actually teach people the basics of the game at the same time.

Keep the world active for people who want to enjoy the story/transmog but offer a real tutorial to the game instead.
    So how do you propose resetting secondary stats each xpac? Our purples turn into blues and we re-gear?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    No one I have ever met who plays this game at a high level expects people to "pay their dues" by wasting their time leveling. The insistence on forced time-wasting is exclusively a "my main is ilvl 200 and the extent to which I engage with World of Warcraft includes transmog farming and soloing ICC when I can be bothered because I want Invincible" thing.
    Leveling is like, super important ok? I need to see my number go up. It's MY number. If it doesn't increase, how in the world will I know that I've done anything worthwhile?

Now let me pay my $15 a month, $60 every two years to continue watching my number grow. It's important.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    So how do you propose resetting secondary stats each xpac? Our purples turn into blues and we re-gear?
    Can just keep squishing. I admit it isn't a problem I overly care about personally. I don't see anything that needs to be fixed.

players fighting thanos.
    Damn does anyone have an original thought these days? Or do you just hear some e-celeb say something once and parrot it as meme gospel ad nauseam?

Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    Damn does anyone have an original thought these days? Or do you just hear some e-celeb say something once and parrot it as meme gospel ad nauseam?
    I honestly don't know if your addressing me or the blizzard writing staff to be honest.

It isn't that hard to compare thanos collecting the infinity sigils each containing a element of creation in order to rewrite reality. Even the part where loki says I will never serve and is beat in front of thrall,jaina,and bolvar.
    Last edited by Crimson Spears; 2021-08-07 at 04:54 AM.