Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    What civilians? Rampaging insurrectionists, aka terrorists aren't civilians. They are enemy combatants and should be treated as such.
    I mean the political party of Republicans themselves is encouraging these acts of violence in protest, saying it's their god-given right to do whatever they want in the name of freedom. In this case, it's not wearing a mask or taking a vaccine.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I mean the political party of Republicans themselves is encouraging these acts of violence in protest, saying it's their god-given right to do whatever they want in the name of freedom. In this case, it's not wearing a mask or taking a vaccine.
    Thing is, if they engage in violence, since they are the aggressor, and don't anyone kid anyone, they will be viewed as the aggressor by the populace at large, violence will be used against them. That is why terrorists around the world are viewed the way they are regardless of their viewpoints or however they got to them. The moment you use violence against someone, outside of defending yourself against actual physical violence, you will always be viewed as the aggressor. Always. And receive no sympathy from the populace at large and possibly scorn.

But enough of that subject. I don't care to dig too far in it as it is a bait topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Florida breaks record for hospitalizations.

"I would have thought they did that by now."

They did. It keeps going up. This is the fifth day in a row.

Also @Benggaul pointed out the whole "don't post for two days then drop 51k all at once" thing that makes tracking cases per day difficult, and everyone just shrugged and put them down for 17k each. No longer relevant. Florida also posted more COVID cases in a single day than they ever have ever ever.

The only saving grace, and I'm not even sure I can call it that, is that their deaths aren't that bad. Yet. For reasons I just stated I prefer the 7-day average over the daily, and nowhere more than deaths. (Their 7-day cases are also the highest they've ever been because 17k three times in a row is "boss hits Enrage" level of bullshit) Florida's deaths are spiking on individual days (199 on Aug 5, the last day the CDC posted for FL) which is horrifying, but their 7-day average is "only" 90. Yep, "only" one Greyhound bus filled every seat going over the cliff each day. While this is proof of Florida's abysmal response, and six times more than it was this time last month, an increase more than most states, it's not their biggest peak deaths. Sor far it's their third behind Jan 2021 and August 2020, both of which flirted with 200 deaths/day but neither managed to penetrate it.

I've personally posted, multiple times, that the health care system in Florida is overworked to the point of limping, but I'm pleased to see it hasn't actually collapsed. Kudos to the first responders, doctors, nurses, and anyone else involved in the process -- without their tireless efforts, Florida would be seeing a mortality rate along the lines of a Final Destination movie every day.

And before anyone says anything, yes, it could get worse because (a) deaths follow cases and cases are going up also (b) Fuck Florida. Should that happen, you know I'll come back here, sighing so loud you'll probably hear me click "Send". For now, however, the steepness of the deaths 7-day average is lower than the aformentioned peaks. I have hope that those people who've made their life work keeping Florida from committing suicide, armed with an extra 18 months or so of information, will keep this bronze medal peak in the 100 Meter Combined Killing Dumb Motherfuckers event from getting close to the silver or gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    People in western NY wanted to secede, too.

Honestly, if Florida wanted to secede, I say let them. Fuck that state. Rising ocean water can't come soon enough to purge that land.
    If Florida was to leave, we would be vastly better off fiscally.

They took in 63 billion more in federal funding then they paid in every year during the good years. That would be 63 billion in welfare they take out of other peoples money that could then be put to better use.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Also Benggaul pointed out the whole "don't post for two days then drop 51k all at once" thing
    Actually it was @PhaelixWW who brought it up first, I just got to be snarky about it for a sentence or two.

Friday's report:

130,706 new cases; about 26k more than last Friday.

Top 10:

Fuck Florida (nearly 23k and a new record).
    Texas: 15,699 new cases; 78 deaths
    California: 14,365 new cases; 42 deaths
    Louisiana: 6,116 new cases; 48 deaths
    Georgia: 6,005 new cases; 35 deaths
    North Carolina: 4,506 new cases; 12 deaths
    New York: 4,011 new cases; 8 deaths
    Tennessee: 3,925 new cases; 29 deaths
    South Carolina: 3,273 new cases; 11 deaths
    Missouri: 3,257 new cases; still not reporting deaths

First time I've had to bring out the red record text in a long while, though I did miss the boat with Louisiana last week. They posted their second-highest total yesterday. Florida's total for Friday is about 7k higher than their high last Summer, further indicating that, no, this is not the same as their experience then. California took a bit of a jump, though their increase remains pretty linear as opposed to exponential. It would not surprise me to see their numbers also reach 20k within a week or so, but hopefully the slower increase is giving their healthcare system some time to prepare. The superspreader event of the Summer is back on, so I'll be keeping an eye on South Dakota's numbers in the coming weeks, though I know a lot of the attendees will be taking it back home with them to their home states. Good luck out there. Alabama still has the worst positivity in the country with 23.3%, so it's perfectly understandable that MQGreene would casually suggest that vaccination volunteers who go door to door there should be shot. Mississippi and Florida hold the two and three spot with 22.1% and 19.1% respectively. California is currently sitting at 6.8% and New York is at 3.2%.

750 deaths is...a lot...and is about 300 more than last Friday, bringing the total to 632,641. Florida owns nearly 200 of them. You can read @Breccia 's post above about how deaths have been panning out there--if they're being honest. Florida, not Breccia. Fuck Florida. Texas again took second spot and Louisiana took third. The 7-day average is closing in on 500 pretty quickly. I'm hoping things will settle down soon, but the start of the school year is just around the corner. Kids can and do die to COVID too. Deaths may be lower than last time around, but the average age is skewing much younger.

Related news:

Unvaccinated account for nearly all COVID-19 deaths in Alabama: health official--No further comment needed.

Florida approves vouchers for ‘COVID-19 harassment,’ new pandemic protocols in schools--Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

The protocols include a “non-discrimination” clause that says students whose parents opted them out of a mask requirement shall not be excluded from any school-sponsored activities or isolated for not following the mandate. There is also a provision that says fully vaccinated students and asymptomatic kids who have tested positive for COVID-19 within the past three months can still attend school and activities.
    First of all, this essentially means the kids aren't protected, then, since they'll be around unmasked spreaders. Second, why the fuck wouldn't "vaccinated students" be able to attend school and activities?! I have to assume that's a typo. Wait, no I don't. It's Florida. Fuck Florida.

For the first time since the winter surge, the US is averaging 100,000 new COVID-19 infections a day--This was avoidable. It's not solely the fault of anti-vaxxers and Trumper governors, but they're definitely at the center of it.

Stay safe, folks.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and then there's this:
    A baby with COVID-19 had to be airlifted to a hospital 150 miles away because of a shortage of paediatric beds in Houston

Keep on "mastering" the pandemic, Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Well obviously they have because Abbott said that Texas has mastered personal covid responsibility and if Abbott said so then it must be true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    ...with South Dakota being, of course, one of the pretty damn far places one could be from the southern border.

And like I said earlier, I find the mental gymnastics they have to pull to reason that immigrants are spreading COVID... quite special. Are they spreading COVID because they don't wear masks, or because they're unvaccinated? Because conservatives, by and large, ALSO fit those two categories.
    Oh, they qued up an answer for their base to believe when Abbott passed a law (that's been put on hold by a judge now) to stop the Biden admin from transporting them to other parts of the country for processing and detainment/deportation

they'll just claim any spikes are due to that despite they likely arent being dropped in South Dakota
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    If Florida was to leave, we would be vastly better off fiscally.

They took in 63 billion more in federal funding then they paid in every year during the good years. That would be 63 billion in welfare they take out of other peoples money that could then be put to better use.
    You can't cut off Florida, it's America's wang.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    - - - Updated - - -

Oh, and then there's this:
    A baby with COVID-19 had to be airlifted to a hospital 150 miles away because of a shortage of paediatric beds in Houston

and we wax on endlessly about how the medical center downtown, and the other hospitals in the area cause people across the world to come here for treatment.

this is like a great chef having to send a runner to McDonalds because someone didn't order enough meat.

that it happened is bad enough, cause what it takes to fix it is just as much an affront.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    the US has a long history of forced sterilizations for worse reasons.
    Amputation cause the member is to diseased to save would be a step up
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given how many STDs it has, it'd be an improvement

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun fact! due to sea level rising that dick is about to get real wet soon.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grats on America finally getting bottom surgery, I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It’s that’s the case America has herpes and erectile disfunction or worse if it needs to spend that much every year just to keep it’s wang functioning and still not doing much worth while.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Florida approves vouchers for ‘COVID-19 harassment,’ new pandemic protocols in schools--Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

First of all, this essentially means the kids aren't protected, then, since they'll be around unmasked spreaders. Second, why the fuck wouldn't "vaccinated students" be able to attend school and activities?! I have to assume that's a typo. Wait, no I don't. It's Florida. Fuck Florida.

What is even more telling is instead of fixing the problem, you most the harassed student out of the school. Not fixing the underlying problem of harassments, just ignoring it till the bullies move on to the next kid, next thing to be harassed about.

Forget COVID, in general this is fucked up even for florida.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The vaccinated students part says even if they tested positive they can attend. I assume that means unvaccinated people have restrictions placed on them once they test positive.
    Yeah quarantine if you test positive, unless the kid is vaccinated, than they can still participate in school and extra curricular activities even if they tested positive. Except the parent's of vaccinated are highly likely not sociopaths, and wouldn't want their kids to spread it so quarantine the kids anyways. But this is Florida, so idk.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Yeah quarantine if you test positive, unless the kid is vaccinated, than they can still participate in school and extra curricular activities even if they tested positive. Except the parent's of vaccinated are highly likely not sociopaths, and wouldn't want their kids to spread it so quarantine the kids anyways. But this is Florida, so idk.
    Which is still stupid, because it's been proven vaccinated people can still transmit the virus.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what else happened today in Trump's world?

1) Conservative and anti-vaxxer radio host Dick Farrel urges people to get the vaccine on his deathbed dying of COVID. Not much more to add, other than the usual "you had your chance". Near as I can tell, he didn't leave a widow or any fatherless children, at least.

2) Trump, desperate to get the Republicans who backed his plea for infrastructure to ignore the plea for infrastructure, threatens to withhold endorsements for Republicans who vote for the current bill. Trump's word is still sovereign in the Party of Trump, but it's good to see sometimes he has to work for it.

3) That former acting AG we've heard about testified, to the SJC. Supposedly, a lot of it was "Trump's lackeys kept asking me to throw out the election and I kept finding new ways to say how stupid, impossible, and fat that is".

4) Trump's campaign was forced to repay millions to those donors who admitted they'd been duped to paying more/recurring when they didn't want to. Which means, just so we're clear, Trump got yet another interest-free loan with no consequences.

5) This isn't up to Guess the Speaker! level:

Sadly, one of our colleagues, who is suing me for making people wear masks, which, of course, the District of Columbia says you have to do inside, but nonetheless, he sadly has been diagnosed
    -- Pelosi, on Norman

6) This, however, is:

I’m going with the theory that Joe Biden wearing a tan suit is a deliberate attempt to troll Fox News.
    That's Dan Rather. I believe he also said that Republicans didn't bite because, well, it didn't work the first time and they all looked like fools, but I can't find that one -- maybe he said it live, or maybe it was someone else.

7) And my favorite of today: someone trolls Mike Lindell on video.

Don't let the libtards call you names. Don't let them call you an ethically dubious pillow pusher. Don't let them call you a marginally brain-addled corrupt goofball. You're doing great.

Don't let them push you around or call you names like the completely clueless crazy old man who believes everything he sees on the internet
    The entire thing was caught on camera. I don't recommend watching it, because Lindell isn't wearing pants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Important to note: Houston has the largest pediatric hospital in the country.

And they're out of beds.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is still stupid, because it's been proven vaccinated people can still transmit the virus.
    And, to remind folks, pretty much the only reason to get kids back in schools is to get parents back to work, which pretty much means we're in a "sure, a lot of people died, but at least we made marginal profits for shareholders by the end of the year" kind of situation.

They're prizing shareholder dividends over human health and safety.