[Warlock] Why do people say to go felguard at level 50?

Hey.

So my warlock is currently 43 and i've often heard people say you should go demmo at level 50.

But won't that remove all your self-healing and mass-pulling capabilities that you have as affli?

What benefits is there to go demmo?

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    When i made this thread my warlock was 43, and at that point i could mass-pull with ease but As i was getting closer and closer to 50 i noticed mobs starting to hurt a lot more and also resist a few time, aldo dots starting to cost a lot more mana.

now my warlock is 51 and i’ve played Felguard since 50, and it does indeed feel a lot smoother than affli, and he holds aggro very nicely.

Do not need to take any mana or food breaks either since i know he will keep aggro at all times, unlike voidy.
    Last edited by Nalam the Venom; 2021-08-17 at 08:11 AM.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can just summon Eye of Kilrogg and your Felguard gets insta-replenished to full.

Quote Originally Posted by Denso View Post
    You can just summon Eye of Kilrogg and your Felguard gets insta-replenished to full.
    Just feels like you’d have to kill mobs 1 by 1 with felguard when you do not have the self healing needed to pull 4-6 mobs.

Just feels “Slower” when i think of that scenario.

But if you have experience with felguard, then please do elaborate on why it’s better than affli

You don't have to go felguard if you are comfortable with affli. Demo with felguard feels like playing with a pocket warrior. He kills while you dot, drain life from the mob and funnel it back to your felguard making you a selfsustained grind mashine without drinking/eating. But it is not that much better than affli that you have to switch i would just give it a try and see if you like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey.

So my warlock is currently 43 and i've often heard people say you should go demmo at level 50.

But won't that remove all your self-healing and mass-pulling capabilities that you have as affli?

I remember soloing most of the elite quests 60-70 as Demo. It's safe and easy, and you can still easily pull like 3-5 mobs at a time if you really want to.

You don't have to.

Felguard is more for like...difficult fights where you'd need something to tank for you.

Affliction is definitely better / much preferred if you're able to outlast stuff, grinding, farming, etc.

Affli is definitely better for leveling and solo farming. It can juggle 2 mobs at a time indefinitely without resting. But you need to really understand what you're doing to get it to work better than demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I remember soloing most of the elite quests 60-70 as Demo. It's safe and easy, and you can still easily pull like 3-5 mobs at a time if you really want to.
    Yeah i leveld mine as demo and with a couple of exceptions, i could solo the elite quests. I had to wait a couple of levels for some of the harder ones, and i couldnt do the 5man ones, again, with a couple of exceptions. Myself and a hunter friend had no issue as a duo though, just ping ponged the mob between our pets.

I found demo extremely easy, but i doubt it was the most efficient way to level, i wasnt in any urgent rush.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gotural View Post
    Affli is definitely better for leveling and solo farming. It can juggle 2 mobs at a time indefinitely without resting. But you need to really understand what you're doing to get it to work better than demo.
    Yeah i suspect this is the case - as i said above, i went with the 'easy' option rather than the 'best', purely because i had crap gear and just wanted a smooth ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

You don't have to but it's fun and has 0 downtime if you 2 dot and drain. Mobs will die in like 10 sec.

It's also solid in instances.

You can just kite all elites with CoEx or even draintank most.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodeus View Post
    You can just kite all elites with CoEx or even draintank most.

And FG is quite an effective ghetto tank against melee oriented elites when using CoW too.

You don't have to, I lvled aas aff but in reality its not worth it tbh I feel, multidotting is NOT always possible, dungeons as aff are rather annoying and in general demo is just much smoother and consistent lvling experience, by the sheer nature of it.
    For world PvP aff is much better tho, if that's what you care about.

Hey.

You should definitely wait until 55+ to swap to demo. Felguard is nice but you won't have Instant Corruption. At 56 you pick up Demonic Frenzy for the pet and the sustained damage increases. If you enjoy Aflic stay that spec. Demo is just tankier.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My opinion is a fact.
    Having opinions are F A C T S.
    Stating you do not agree with my world has no impact on mine.
    It is not the same as talking about math either.
    This is talking about MY perception and so to me it is A fact.

I found that going to Outland is when I changed away from Affliction. Mobs have more health and the DoTs were just not killing them like before. Now I find I have to reapply DoTs that have fallen off. And since the mobs aren't dying in a timely manner, I now have to manage more mobs that are hitting on me, so the drain tanking isn't quite as effective.

All that said, it's going to be completely up to you when you decide to switch. If you get to those higher level & Outland mobs and still feel like you can DoT and run, leaving death in your wake, keep doing it.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Like many said, you can still continue as affliction, but there are many reasons to switch to Demo until you hit lvl70.

1- Demo is less gear dependent. Since you are currently levelling and will enter Outland without T2/T3, this will make a big difference. Mobs have a lot more hp and hit harder.

2- The Felguard is very tanky, and can even tank elite mobs for the (2) and (3) group quests. That will save you quite a bit of time looking for others.

3- Cleave is actually a very strong AoE, and in normal dungeons, the Felguard can take a hit or two if he overaggros.

4- Same for big groups. You can send the Felguard and he will hold aggro with his cleave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    Like many said, you can still continue as affliction, but there are many reasons to switch to Demo until you hit lvl70.

1- Demo is less gear dependent. Since you are currently levelling and will enter Outland without T2/T3, this will make a big difference. Mobs have a lot more hp and hit harder.

2- The Felguard is very tanky, and can even tank elite mobs for the (2) and (3) group quests. That will save you quite a bit of time looking for others.

3- Cleave is actually a very strong AoE, and in normal dungeons, the Felguard can take a hit or two if he overaggros.

4- Same for big groups. You can send the Felguard and he will hold aggro with his cleave.

Indeed, the FG is tanky. I was able to use him to successfully tank a fel reaver with one other DPS and a priest healing.

When i made this thread my warlock was 43, and at that point i could mass-pull with ease but As i was getting closer and closer to 50 i noticed mobs starting to hurt a lot more and also resist a few time, aldo dots starting to cost a lot more mana.

now my warlock is 51 and i’ve played Felguard since 50, and it does indeed feel a lot smoother than affli, and he holds aggro very nicely.

Do not need to take any mana or food breaks either since i know he will keep aggro at all times, unlike voidy.