Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb WoW: A Realm Reborn

Why not relaunch at this point? No one likes having 40tb of old maps and textures that no one uses anymore. Make WoW now into WoW classic, and just start over with a new team and client.

Hell, due to the storyline being so wacky right now, you could have the Afterlife implode causing the universe in WoW to explode and be reborn or something stupid and start over with a new story and new characters. I mean, why not? I mean, it's less embarrassing than having a story where an Orc hitler time-travels back to the past to cause his grandpa to kill his great-grandkids or whatever.

1. "But my character/avatar/achievements!" - Keep it on classic.
    2. "I'm scared of a new game and new systems" - Play on classic.
    3. " I still run an Apple II and I will be left out" - It's legit 2021, the hell are you doing, bro? In 2029 you could actually maybe considering an update and getting a computer that can run a modern version of Math Blasters without exploding.

WoW 2 or whatever would be great. A new start - A end to a bunch of spaghetti code that has crippled WoW for years. A new story instead of having twenty million thousand NPC's that are all confusing garbage piles. No more mistakes and empty dead zones that just sit like a bloated tumor on your SSD.

Anyways, I guess I am just asking for WoW 2 and make the cutoff point for classic here. I dunno, what do you guys think?

So I don't think you need anything near that drastic on regards to the universe dying? A wow 2 could effectively just be done with a decadal timeskip.

I don't think it would be beyond Blizzard to allow importing Wow characters into a wow 2 ethier so I don't even think you need to worry about that so much? You can even do a Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 think where you kept your armour (albeit a weakened version).

Unlike FF14 1.0, WoW is already an established franchise and game with there being no guarantee that people would buy into losing all their progress, development, and achievement for their characters. It could be absolutely disastrous to the community and divide it even more.

Especially since Classic is not even to Wrath yet, saying "we have Classic for this" is pure nonsense -- especially since you cant replicate all that progress over to Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    Unlike FF14 1.0, WoW is already an established franchise and game with there being no guarantee that people would buy into losing all their progress, development, and achievement for their characters. It could be absolutely disastrous to the community and divide it even more.

Especially since Classic is not even to Wrath yet, saying "we have Classic for this" is pure nonsense -- especially since you cant replicate all that progress over to Classic.
    I'm not disagreeing with the point over all. But FF is a more established franchise then Warcraft. I know arguably Ff14 is a different franchise then Ff13 but still.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is so old I don't think it could survive a re-launch. Too many people would give up on waiting and move onto newer games.

Any kind of "reboot" would have to be soft.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

There is just too much bad story writing to fix this mess anymore

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with the point over all. But FF is a more established franchise then Warcraft. I know arguably Ff14 is a different franchise then Ff13 but still.
    What I meant was -- ARR was launched because FF14 was DoA. WoW has been around for 17 years -- blowing it up is much much harder to do this late.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    WoW is so old I don't think it could survive a re-launch. Too many people would give up on waiting and move onto newer games.

Any kind of "reboot" would have to be soft.
    It certainly wouldn't, and the 54653rd "wow 2.0"-thread won't change that. To convince the people that left, Blizz had to come up with something truly original.

Almost all of WoW's problems falls on the designers, developers, and writers.

The same people who'd be making WOW2.

Its a silly pipe dream to just think "make a new one but better!!!!!" will fix it. WoW's problems aren't due to its graphics or code.

FFXIV isn't good. Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Almost all of WoW's problems falls on the designers, developers, and writers.

The same people who'd be making WOW2.

Its a silly pipe dream to just think "make a new one but better!!!!!" will fix it. WoW's problems aren't due to its graphics or code.
    This is true..

Blizzard need to replace more employees first.

Is the same as asking Ubisoft to create something different with the same people...

WoW 2 or World of Diablo/Starcraft

This is the way.

WoW TWO - The War is Over!
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    What I meant was -- ARR was launched because FF14 was DoA. WoW has been around for 17 years -- blowing it up is much much harder to do this late.
    Ok that's fair. I totally agree.

It'll ethier have to be a full on WoW 2 or a soft reboot with in game.

What makes you think the writing in a WoW 2 would be any better? Unless the team was comprised wholly of new people it'd just be business as usual, except everything players accumulated and did since 2004 would be wiped out.

It would be cool to get a graphical update (maintaining the same art style) and various other improvements but a complete new beginning would be far too risky and almost certainly a disaster.

Retail is already wow 2.0, Classic is wow 1.0
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    What makes you think the writing in a WoW 2 would be any better? Unless the team was comprised wholly of new people it'd just be business as usual, except everything players accumulated and did since 2004 would be wiped out.

It would be cool to get a graphical update (maintaining the same art style) and various other improvements but a complete new beginning would be far too risky and almost certainly a disaster.
    This is the same risk that single player devs(and even multiplayer devs) make all the time, with every game. Sometimes they fail, but sometimes they are great. At least they tried and stayed relevant, didn't get stale. They succeed or failed based upon their belief/trust in themselves. They also care about talent, and keeping talent on staff, because they know this market test is coming up every few years.

When a developer is too risk averse to even release a sequel to their own game, you have to ask yourself what their priority is. If they are reliant on me continuing to play a bad game, in order to maintain the status quo, and not take any risk, then I feel that is an unsustainable path with a bigger risk then actually releasing new games.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Sorry, yeah - Wanted to make that point clear in the OP. I think the team needs a huge change-up. Esp. the writing team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they made a WoW 2 there would still be the same toxic players...
    An Karanir Thanagor

When S.E. realized they needed to revamp it, they made it free to play for a year or so, then all those who had stayed subbed got legacy accounts, so their subs are significantly less.

I believe Acti-Blizz could do something like ARR, WoW 2.0, or whatnot at least in my mind.

The real question is whether or not Acti-Blizz would be willing to make the commitment.