Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    I don't see the point. The vaccine seems to have a rather low rate of success and the rapid mutations have rendered it a moot point. Masks were never really seen as success where they? I know they are not rated high enough for smoke and the virus is many times smaller then that. I always thought they were just a thing to comfort people with the idea they could do something to protect themselves.
    Per CDC data - breakthrough cases account for one in five new Covid cases in the US, however less than 0.004% of fully vaccinated people had a breakthrough case that led to hospitalization and less than 0.001% of fully vaccinated people died from a breakthrough Covid-19 case. Most of the breakthrough cases hospitalization -- about 74% -- occurred among adults 65 or older.

Those are insanely good numbers for any vaccines.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-08-11 at 04:59 PM.

...no superpowers though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    The evidence that I have seen suggests that the virus travels in droplets and in particles in the air so while the mask does stop the spittle that comes out when we cough and sneeze it doesn't prevent it circulating in the air.
    Most real masks (ie, surgical and better, not sewn cotton) have a meltblown polypropylene filtration layer that uses electrostatic attraction to draw in and capture aerosol particles. The majority of aerosol particles are blocked by these masks, not just the larger droplets.

Also of note is the fact that the smaller the aerosol particle, the quicker its liquid will evaporate and thus the quicker the virions will be "killed" via exposure. This is obviously more of a benefit during the warm months.

The biggest issue with surgical masks as opposed to N95 masks is the fact that surgical masks aren't fitted, so not all of the air that is breathed in or out actually goes through the filter. They do, however, reduce the size of the exhaust plume by a great deal, so sick people don't tend to spread the virions in nearly as large a volume of space, leading to fewer overall transmissions.

But even the cloth masks, without the filtration insert, will accomplish this much, as well as blocking a decent amount of exhaust droplets (even including some of the aerosol ones).

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydr...onoxide_parody
    Seeing this shit play out in real life is wild, there remains a gross misunderstanding of some fairly basic science with far too many folks.
    Yup but when I explained it, the person just shook their head in disbelief. Apparently random YT derps are more believable than I.
    Dude even wanted to tell me that RNA = American for DNS (German for DNA). >.<

I quickly gave up. Waste of time arguing with folks like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I wonder where that comes from. Today I had some anti vaxxer not only try to tell me that the mRNA vaccine "changes your genes" but also that Israels official numbers indicate that the vaccines do not work at all. Oo
    We had that here in MMO-C, too. That the vaccine changes your DNA.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude even wanted to tell me that RNA = American for DNS (German for DNA). >.<
    Deoxy - It's what genes crave!

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Deoxy - It's what genes crave!
    Haha
    Yeah I think it won't be long now until that movie is reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    We had that here in MMO-C, too. That the vaccine changes your DNA.
    Well one can construct freak scenarios that could, in theory, result in a DNA change (via certain viruses that can synthesize DNA from RNA, IIRC) but I don't believe that has been observed in practice so far.

When it comes to Covid news, FL is sucking all the air out of the room.

Florida Sees Highest Rate of Children Hospitalized With COVID in U.S.

According to data from the CovKid project, which uses COVID-19 hospitalization numbers from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, as of August 7, Florida is reporting 8.1 children hospitalized with COVID-19 per 100,000 residents. The number of children hospitalized with COVID-19 per 100,000 residents in Florida is the highest in the nation, according to the data.

Data from the project also shows that over the past seven days, Florida has reported 341 new hospital admissions among those aged 17 and younger, the most in the U.S.

Florida is also reporting the highest rate of COVID-19 hospitalizations among those ages 18 and 19. According to the data, as of August 7, Florida reported 20.6 hospitalizations per 100,000 residents in that age group.

According to the data, as of August 7, the U.S. reported 2.2 children hospitalized with COVID-10 per 100,000 residents.

While the data shows that Florida is reporting the highest rate of children hospitalized with COVID-19, the federal government's hospital capacity data shows that Texas is seeing the highest total number of children hospitalized with the virus.

As of August 11, healthdata.gov showed that Texas had 259 total pediatric patients hospitalized with COVID-19, the most in the U.S., while Florida followed with 194.

Apparently random YT derps are more believable than I.
    Google/YouTube is responsible for hosting what is likely the most massive and expansive misinformation/disinformation campaign ever. Not just on this topic, but a host of them. The amount of, "I heard/saw it on YouTube!" nonsense I've seen genuinely causes me pain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

Florida Sees Highest Rate of Children Hospitalized With COVID in U.S.

Man, Death Cultists giving adults covid is one thing, but now these fuckers policies are getting kids sick. I only wish that I could be confident that their respective electorates would vote them out of office purely on the basis of how terribly they've handled the pandemic in their states, but unfortunately Death Cultists seem to like their fellow Death Cultists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Google/YouTube is responsible for hosting what is likely the most massive and expansive misinformation/disinformation campaign ever. Not just on this topic, but a host of them. The amount of, "I heard/saw it on YouTube!" nonsense I've seen genuinely causes me pain.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, Death Cultists giving adults covid is one thing, but now these fuckers policies are getting kids sick. I only wish that I could be confident that their respective electorates would vote them out of office purely on the basis of how terribly they've handled the pandemic in their states, but unfortunately Death Cultists seem to like their fellow Death Cultists.
    I'm waiting for an insurance company to deny paying out for life insurance, ruling it a suicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Crazy antivax nurse giving saline shots instead of vaccines in Germany. What is wrong with people? Even if she is antivax, there is no excuse for injecting people with something they do not know they are being injected with. Makes me wonder if its happened anywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Crazy antivax nurse giving saline shots instead of vaccines in Germany. What is wrong with people? Even if she is antivax, there is no excuse for injecting people with something they do not know they are being injected with. Makes me wonder if its happened anywhere else.
    She's not antivax, she just fucked up and broke a vial of vaccines and rather than admit her fuckup tried to cover it up. I imagine she'll lose her ability to practice medicine after this, she'd better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Social media in general... that shit is just a bane on humanity's existence.

- - - Updated - - -

She's not antivax, she just fucked up and broke a vial of vaccines and rather than admit her fuckup tried to cover it up. I imagine she'll lose her ability to practice medicine after this, she'd better.
    They are estimating that 9K people need to be vaccinated again. So I think she did it more than once. Unless she dropped a lot of bottles lol.

Social media in general... that shit is just a bane on humanity's existence.
    It is, but also a very good way to see the true face of some people, if they believe they can say how they feel without consequence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    It has. From people stealing, ruining doses in the US to nurses/volunteers only giving partical doses or none at all in other countries. If these people were logical with their beliefs they would refuse to do their duties without bringing harm or duping others. "You can't trust the government!", turns out we can't trust their asses either...while they are representing the government

Some of these people believe they represent some sort of natural order and that things like vaccines go against that...their view completly falls apart under scrutiny. Not even scrutiny, just basic questions while having an open conversation.

Some a death cultists. They may not see it that way and usually self-identify as being part or some religious/philosophical group or whatever but thats what they are in different hats. They believe the virus is pushing society to some kind of reformation/revolution/revelation, that nature is 'cleaning house' to make way for a better society. Its all horseshit.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Psaki; "why would you oppose receiving the ventilators when clearly you need those in your state given the percentage of hospitalizations that are occurring?”

“As a policy, we don’t send ventilators to states without their interest in receiving the ventilators. I think the most important question here is why would you oppose receiving the ventilators when clearly you need those in your state given the percentage of hospitalizations that are occurring?” Psaki said when asked if the White House knows who in Florida made the request for hundreds of more ventilators.

DeSantis had told ABC News he was unaware of the request made by his state’s health department for ventilators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Which, personally makes me happy. My immune system already saw Delta, reacted to it for 12 hours, and then ignored it after a good night's sleep.
    Yeah, they're starting to do studies that not just analyze the reaction of delta to people who have been vaccinated, but also differentiating that from the reaction of delta to people who not only have been vaccinated, but have also had a breakthrough case and hopefully delta-specific antibodies as well.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I'm waiting for an insurance company to deny paying out for life insurance, ruling it a suicide.
    don't laugh but there is a major effort for insurance companies of all kinds to investigate charging more money for people who do not get the vaxx, especially when it goes full approval.

Don't see them denying, but i sure do see them charging a whole lot more. Health insurance already does for risky behavior
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It has. From people stealing, ruining doses in the US to nurses/volunteers only giving partical doses or none at all in other countries. If these people were logical with their beliefs they would refuse to do their duties without bringing harm or duping others. "You can't trust the government!", turns out we can't trust their asses either...while they are representing the government

Some of these people believe they represent some sort of natural order and that things like vaccines go against that...their view completly falls apart under scrutiny. Not even scrutiny, just basic questions while having an open conversation.

Some a death cultists. They may not see it that way and usually self-identify as being part or some religious/philosophical group or whatever but thats what they are in different hats. They believe the virus is pushing society to some kind of reformation/revolution/revelation, that nature is 'cleaning house' to make way for a better society. Its all horseshit.
    It's like a religious argument. If it'll save your soul, anything is fair game. The end justifies the means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

It's not clear, but allegedly she posted some anti-vaxx stuff and there are indications that she did it more than to cover up a set of broken vials.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ine/ar-AANcTpX
    I don't know the result of the anti-body tests they did, but my suspicion is that they didn't find anti-bodies in almost all of the tests - indicating that she hadn't given anyone the real vaccine - or at least that's what they suspect.