Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Does anyone else feel that the lunar and solar themes are not very suitable for druid

Why do balance druids have this? It doesn't seem very appropriate for them (I still don't understand why they replaced nature spells with sun spells). What would you replace the balance druid spells? I think it would be great if they returned natural spells instead of solar spells and also make druid completely focused on flora and fauna and inflicted damage with a swarm of insects (for example, like Warden in TESO), vines, thorns, and so on, while his attacks could poison the enemy.

The patterns of the sun and moon are very important in many ancient cultures, especially those who revered nature. This is reflected in the Night Elve's strong moon themes.

It also helps give Balance a more unique thematic, and tied into their various attempts at making 'balance' themed mechanics over the years.

It fits perfectly as they are Balance Druids and their whole theme is balancing the Lunar (Arcane) and Solar (Nature) aspects of magic.

Night Elves worship the moons. Tauren worship the sun. The Night Elves, in their own language, are Star Elves.

Nature kinda doesn't exist in its form unless it has the sun to draw energy on. Also the lunar cycle correlates to different growth patterns 8n nature. Both seem entirely fitting for a nature themed archetype. The sun being where Tauren draw holy light from is a much better question to concern with imo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    (I still don't understand why they replaced nature spells with sun spells)
    What REPLACEMENT are you referring to? ALL druids get moonfire which was a vanilla spell all druids got. ALL druids get Wrath which was a vanilla spell. The only thing that changed was they ADDED sunfire for balance druids.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    It fits perfectly as they are Balance Druids and their whole theme is balancing the Lunar (Arcane) and Solar (Nature) aspects of magic.
    Really wish they would have tied the celestial magic forces thing to the damage types in WoW. Lunar magic is Life, and solar magic is Light, as far as lore is concerned.

Why did you post this exact thread in multiple places?

From wowwiki “The wildkin have long been considered a sacred animal by the night elves, and the tauren. The priests of Elune see the wildkin as imbued with the spirit and strength of the Moon Goddess, and the druids see them as guardians and protectors of nature.”

Being blessed by elune the type of power makes sense. Being a guardian of nature the Druidic ties make sense

I think it would also be cool to add some kind of sleep mechanic for balance druids. For example, make the enemy see nightmares or something like that. Restor druids feel like druids, balance druids feel like strange mages. You could give a spell to summon a mushroom on the ground that would explode and damage enemies (I'm absolutely sure that the druids already had such a spell, but I'm not sure if this was a damage or healing spell) or add more Ardenweald theme and the use of fairies ( Druids already have a Fairie Swarm, but that's it).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    What REPLACEMENT are you referring to? ALL druids get moonfire which was a vanilla spell all druids got. ALL druids get Wrath which was a vanilla spell. The only thing that changed was they ADDED sunfire for balance druids.
    The wrath was green, not yellow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Except that we have no idea what this magic is. On Twitter, Blizzard said that the magic of the arakkoa is similar to the sun spells of the druids, and then in the Chronicles they wrote that the solar magic of the arakkoa is Light.
    Also, the magic of the druids is absolutely no different from the magic of the Priestesses of Elune, who also summon these starfalls. They do not feel like those who use the power of nature or the Emerald Dream, but rather like those who simply use the power of Elune. And again, we have no idea what moon magic is and who Elune is because her Tear was able to unlock the heart of the First Naaru, suggesting that she is connected not only with Life, but also with Light, and moon spells are generally considered arcane magic.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't remember a single mention in the lore of how solar or lunar magic works at all. Malfurion or any other druid never used this outside of the game, as opposed to overtly natural magic such as using roots. The only thing I can remember is the art from the Traveler where a tauren druid in the form of a moon owl shoots moonbeams from his hands.

The wrath was green, not yellow.
    It was a green copy of lightning bolt (literally) that never really made much sense. Since the theme has always been Balance, switching it to Sun was a sensible move to contrast the more Moon-themed abilities we already had and also got us a more unique animation than just a cheap copy of shaman spells.

Also, the magic of the druids is absolutely no different from the magic of the Priestesses of Elune, who also summon these starfalls. They do not feel like those who use the power of nature or the Emerald Dream, but rather like those who simply use the power of Elune.
    Oh, right. Elune. Who we now know is tied to Life, the power source of Druidic magic. Your point was?

The only thing I'd change is the boomkin skin, to make it look like what it was in war3.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It was a green copy of lightning bolt (literally) that never really made much sense. Since the theme has always been Balance, switching it to Sun was a sensible move to contrast the more Moon-themed abilities we already had and also got us a more unique animation than just a cheap copy of shaman spells.

Oh, right. Elune. Who we now know is tied to Life, the power source of Druidic magic. Your point was?
    Truth? We know? Because even if the SL says that she is the Goddess of Life, we will still know that she created the Naaru (you know, beings of LIGHT) and that the druids of balance use nature and arcane (as stated in the class description in Legion). So what do druids use then? Light and Arcane + Nature? Once again, balance druids don't feel like druids, they feel like astromancers.

Why do balance druids have this? It doesn't seem very appropriate for them (I still don't understand why they replaced nature spells with sun spells). What would you replace the balance druid spells? I think it would be great if they returned natural spells instead of solar spells and also make druid completely focused on flora and fauna and inflicted damage with a swarm of insects (for example, like Warden in TESO), vines, thorns, and so on, while his attacks could poison the enemy.
    The sun is not part of nature?
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    shit was fire though, it looked so cool and if only a placeholder should not have lasted nearly as long because at a point the it does become mentally associated with the class

I think it would also be cool to add some kind of sleep mechanic for balance druids. For example, make the enemy see nightmares or something like that. Restor druids feel like druids, balance druids feel like strange mages. You could give a spell to summon a mushroom on the ground that would explode and damage enemies (I'm absolutely sure that the druids already had such a spell, but I'm not sure if this was a damage or healing spell) or add more Ardenweald theme and the use of fairies ( Druids already have a Fairie Swarm, but that's it).
    It did both

It started as a Balance- Slowing mushroom that can be detonated for damage and a resto one that healed and could be blown to heal. Then it was changed to be a slow only and a heal one, and then it was moved into efflorescence

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally don't really mind the theme. I understand it's kind of much to think you are wielding the power of the sun, moon, stars, and whatever cosmic energy comprises space.

I mean Blizzard doesn't really help out with their definition of the spec either:

Can take on the form of a powerful Moonkin, balancing the power of Arcane and Nature magic to destroy enemies at a distance.

Even further, during the mass specialization revamps during 'Legion' they elaborated with this:

The elements that carve form into the universe are fluid forces of nature. Some beings seek to bend the power of these natural elements to their will. Druids, however, worship the protecting spirits of nature. Long ago, nature’s equilibrium was thrown out of balance, leaving the world vulnerable to catastrophic events, including the first invasion of the Burning Legion.

By leveraging the sacred powers of the moon, the sun, and the stars, balance druids access arcane and nature magics—made more potent still through shapeshifting, when the spellcaster takes the form of the moonkin—to aid in the fight against imbalance that threatens the natural order of all things

Perhaps we are to suspend our disbelief and accept that channeling the power of the moon and stars (through Elune) manifests itself as Arcane power? I'm sure savvy lore sleuths would start to speculate on what that implies about Elune and her association with Order (Arcane) and the associated magics... but personally, I don't think Blizzard intended for us to think that much into it. But just... maybe.

Perhaps channeling the power of the sun and all other forms of "nature" or "wild" magic manifests itself as Nature power? Maybe.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-08-22 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    The sun is not part of nature?
    Depends on who you ask lol

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Perhaps we are to suspend our disbelief and accept that channeling the power of the moon and stars (through Elune) manifests itself as Arcane power? I'm sure savvy lore sleuths would start to speculate on what that implies about Elune and her association with Order (Arcane) and the associated magics... but personally, I don't think Blizzard intended for us to think that much into it. But just... maybe.

Perhaps channeling the power of the sun and all other forms of "nature" or "wild" magic manifests itself as Nature power? Maybe.
    I think it's more a case of them mixing game mechanics and lore. The first part refers to the lore magic of the celestial bodies, while the latter is about the spell schools being used, without actually referring to Arcane or Nature magic as defined by the cosmology.

Would probably be easier if they changed the spell schools for Druid to Lunar, Solar and Astral.

Does this conversation just happen every year? https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...re-magic-again

I think that in addition to the moon and sun, you need something to do with the forest.
    After all, the druids are the inhabitants of the forest.