Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Got to the level 50 main story and played through the dungeons (raids?)

It was such a huge cluster fudge.. the tanks literally didn't stop running, did huge pulls and i had no idea what was happening or where to go.
    Castrum and Praetorium were long even when it wasnt trivial. Most players do not like running it but do so because the MSQ Roulette gives decent xp

Most dungeons are ran wall to wall especially with a whm healer because there is no danger. Between WHMs "oh shit" buttons and holy, nothing should ever hit enough or live long enough to be a danger, even with a massive pull. Even at low levels, theres not enough danger to really go 1 pull at a time.

As a healer main, i dont really care one way or another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I just go with the flow, personally. If people want big pulls, I give them big pulls. If they want small pulls, I give them small pulls.

Roulettes are pretty relaxed and efficient on Chaos, though.
    Compared to ARR and HW dungeons, big pulls don't even exist anymore.
    Even if my tank pulls everything available, I can still twiddle my thumbs as a healer. ._.

It was such a huge cluster fudge.. the tanks literally didn't stop running, did huge pulls and i had no idea what was happening or where to go.
    Those two dungeons are like movies. Just sit back and relax. Everything after that is way better.

Castrum and Praetorium are the only two dungeons that have this issue. SE acknowledged it as an issue by never implementing dungeons like them ever again.

As a first timer I'm sure the experience was not great, but you'll never go through something like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Castrum and Praetorium are the only two dungeons that have this issue. SE acknowledged it as an issue by never implementing dungeons like them ever again.

As a first timer I'm sure the experience was not great, but you'll never go through something like that again.
    Atleast you don't get to miss any cutscenes now. I remember when that wasn't the case, and when everyone rushed so many cutscenes got skipped, it was annoying and it actually put me off the game but good thing for my fc members saying they would never do anything like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Atleast you don't get to miss any cutscenes now. I remember when that wasn't the case, and when everyone rushed so many cutscenes got skipped, it was annoying and it actually put me off the game but good thing for my fc members saying they would never do anything like that again.
    I'm split on the decision to not skip those cutscenes. I completely understand it, and think it's better than the alternative but...

It's great because new players get to see them, but it's horrible for veteran players just doing the roulette for the xp being forced to sit through 40+ minutes of cutscenes for 5-10 minutes of actual combat and player controlling content.

They really need to turn these two dungeons into solo experiences for the new players and let people doing the roulette skip the CS.

I'm split on the decision to not skip those cutscenes. I completely understand it, and think it's better than the alternative but...

It's great because new players get to see them, but it's horrible for veteran players just doing the roulette for the xp being forced to sit through 40+ minutes of cutscenes for 5-10 minutes of actual combat and player controlling content.

They really need to turn these two dungeons into solo experiences for the new players and let people doing the roulette skip the CS.
    If they were skippable the xp reward wouldn't be so big.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well that's exactly why those roulettes are worth so much XP, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    If they were skippable the xp reward wouldn't be so big.
    I understand, I'd still rather they be skippable. In order for me to do that roulette I need to set aside ~1-1.5 hours of time to ensure I am able to complete the dungeon along with whatever time it takes for me to get into them, which can be anywhere from 15-30 minutes sometimes.

I admit the xp is worth it, otherwise I'd never do that, but the amount of time investment needed for this is a bit ridiculous.

Them being skippable will never happen, because the point of having them in the roulette in the first place is so that new players don't have a massive queue when they reach these story points. They reward so much exp to incentivize people to join them to help out these new players. If new players were pushed by the group to skip cutscenes, it is counter to that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Them being skippable will never happen, because the point of having them in the roulette in the first place is so that new players don't have a massive queue when they reach these story points. They reward so much exp to incentivize people to join them to help out these new players. If new players were pushed by the group to skip cutscenes, it is counter to that goal.
    Read the rest of my post (#51569).

I haven't stated that they should be skippable in the roulette as I know what the goal is. I said they should make the dungeons a solo affair so that the only people doing the roulette would be veterans who have already done it, therefore making them skippable would be achievable and not counter to the original goal of having new players being able to see the dungeon cutscenes. This would also solve the current problem of those new players getting completely left behind in the dungeons because they're trying to experience it fir the first time and therefore have no idea where the heck they're going, what they're doing or anything...the veterans just steamroll everything with or without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    But if they made the story dungeons solo, then why would the MSQ roulette versions still exist? And why would they give the same XP?

Veterans have been trying to come up with ways to get around the MSQ dungeons but still get the XP for years. It's almost certainly just never going to happen.
    The only reason to do them as a veteran (or just someone who's already done the dungeons as part of the MSQ) is for the xp. Another option could exist in the future to replace it, but other options already DO exist to get xp (FATEs, PotD, HoH, Bozja).

The only reason the roulette exists now is so new players can see the dungeons without having to wait inordinate amounts of time and be locked out of MSQ completion.

If they made them soloable there'd be no need for the roulette and it could be removed, which I'd be fine with personally. I rarely did it when I was leveling because of how long it took and never do it now because I have all DoM and DoW classes at 80 now anyway.

I don't disagree that it will likely never happen, but one can hope. It wouldn't be a huge loss, IMO.

Them being solo dungeons is counter to another goal, which is to introduce players to this type of group content. Of course, the meta is to speedrun them so it's not the best introduction, but still...

There are also some fights (or maybe just the one...) that would have to be completely redone, as they are not soloable. I totally get the frustration when Praetorium pops and you have an investment of at least an hour, but it just isn't worth changing at this point. If you don't need the exp, skip the roulette. I, personally, would lament the loss of MSQ roulette. It's an easy way to Netflix and chill for almost an entire level's worth of exp from 70-80.

Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Them being solo dungeons is counter to another goal, which is to introduce players to this type of group content. Of course, the meta is to speedrun them so it's not the best introduction, but still...
    The other dungeons do this better, and these are the only 8 man dungeons in the game. People should already be well aware of how dungeons and trials work by the time they get to Castrum and Praetorium so I don't think this goal/reason is even relevant personally.

There are also some fights (or maybe just the one...) that would have to be completely redone, as they are not soloable.
    They could have a Trust like system where you go in with personnel from the Grand Companies so it wouldn't technically be "solo" just you as the only player character.

I totally get the frustration when Praetorium pops and you have an investment of at least an hour, but it just isn't worth changing at this point. If you don't need the exp, skip the roulette. I, personally, would lament the loss of MSQ roulette. It's an easy way to Netflix and chill for almost an entire level's worth of exp from 70-80.
    While I understand, it's nice to do things nice and chill, but if the most compelling argument for not removing it is because it allows for people to level while not actively playing the game...that's pretty telling IMO and not truly a compelling argument, IMO.

The only reason to do them as a veteran (or just someone who's already done the dungeons as part of the MSQ) is for the xp. Another option could exist in the future to replace it, but other options already DO exist to get xp (FATEs, PotD, HoH, Bozja).

The only reason the roulette exists now is so new players can see the dungeons without having to wait inordinate amounts of time and be locked out of MSQ completion.

If they made them soloable there'd be no need for the roulette and it could be removed, which I'd be fine with personally. I rarely did it when I was leveling because of how long it took and never do it now because I have all DoM and DoW classes at 80 now anyway.

I don't disagree that it will likely never happen, but one can hope. It wouldn't be a huge loss, IMO.
    YoshiP talked about completely remaking them into 5man dungeons sometime in the future. That was like a year or so ago during a live letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    Doubt it has anything to do with WOW, I'm pretty sure big pulls became the norm without outside help.
    I don't think I said it was WoW's fault, just remarking on the fact that I think it's sad that the "go go go" mentality has become a problem here as well.

But so far, the only thing to happen by the go go go guys whilst I am learning how to tank, is that I think a Samurai pulled a pack of mobs in Dzemael Darkhold without noticing that the healer accidentally fell to his/her death, and, well, the group wiped on trash. I think that curbed their enthusiasm a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    I don't think I said it was WoW's fault, just remarking on the fact that I think it's sad that the "go go go" mentality has become a problem here as well.

But so far, the only thing to happen by the go go go guys whilst I am learning how to tank, is that I think a Samurai pulled a pack of mobs in Dzemael Darkhold without noticing that the healer accidentally fell to his/her death, and, well, the group wiped on trash. I think that curbed their enthusiasm a bit.
    I started playing - with my first class being Marauder - back in 2015, and the mentality to do massive pulls was around even back then. That's why they started gating sections, like in Sastasha HM and Amdapor Keep HM. Otherwise people would do like in Brayflox HM, Hullbreaker Isle, and AK normal and pull ALL the way to the boss.

I also want to state that in all my years of playing, I have yet to have someone be toxic about pulling/tanking. The worst that happened was I've had people pull extra only because I hadn't done the instance before and didn't realize that there was a third pack in, I want to say, The Twinning, at the beginning. And even then that was nbd, because I picked up that pack and learned how far I could go there. No one has belittled me - and I haven't seen a party where that has happened to the tank. Anecdotal I know, but I would think that if it were this widespread issue that I would have come across at some point.

Now, I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, but why not pull all the way to the big room in Dzemael? As long as you stand in the purple you have a 90% damage reduction even before you factor in other types of personal mitigation. You stand in the corner to LOS everything and get it to pile up and then burn it down. This was even doable years ago before potency/skill reworks. That's the best place to learn to pull big. Virtually no consequences as long as you keep moving.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2021-08-16 at 07:52 PM.

I only pull amounts I feel comfortable with pulling.

Of course, when I finally get to Castrum/Prae I'll have to do the "go go go" thing because, well, even I don't want it to go too slowly there. xD

Finally got all jobs to max level and now I am working on the crafting and gathering relics!

hmm.. the music in the empty. is that from ff8? it feels so familiar and that's the only place i can think of.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    hmm.. the music in the empty. is that from ff8? it feels so familiar and that's the only place i can think of.
    Yes, it's from FF8.

It's called "Blue Fields" and is in many other Final Fantasy titles as well.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Blue_Fields

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    How are you guys doing it?.

It feels like it takes me forever to get 1 level after 50. I'm doing Duty activities for now, in order to get most kills as possible. I have the trinket and ring (level30) with XP bonus.
    Kills are not where you get most of your xp it's from duty completion (ie the xp bonus you get for just finishing the activity whether that be FATEs, dungeons, trials, etc...). Blue Mage is the only class who gains a remotely decent amount of xp from mob kills.

If you're able to do all of the relevant roulettes (Alliance Raid, Main Scenario, Leveling and the 50/60/70 one if you have access to it) you get~2 levels worth of xp, if not more depending on what level you are.

Beast Tribe quests also provide a pretty substantial amount, and are what I did when in queue for the roulette just as something to do while I waited. If I wasn't doing that, I was doing FATEs, Hunting Log or Hunts, otherwise just doing town stuff (checking MB, selling stuff on my retainers, messing with my glamour, inventory management, visiting my FC house).

It's not something that can be done quickly.

The only spammable, grindable ways to do it that are even remotely efficient is through PotD (for levels 1-60)/ HoH (for 61-70) or Squadrons (up to level 60, not sure what level you can start using it) and even those can take a while and get super boring after a while (or right away depending on what kind of stuff you enjoy).