Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeEU View Post
    The *not getting paid* part would dismay me to apply. Cuz we all know that curse makes some money with this site. So they might as well reward those that keep it clean.

Thanks to all mods that take their time to keep this site in shape.
    It's still my favorite wow site, even tho I don't play the game anymore, I still check it almost daily.
    Thats why often the type that applies for unpaid moderation gets his "payment" in being able to ban what he doesn't like. I think moderation here is surprisingly well performing as other sites turned into trash due to letting a few new hires run amok in the same time frame mmo-champ has been alive without ever following such a trend. Wonder what makes the difference. Better screening process?
    Last edited by mbit; 2021-08-15 at 12:20 PM.

You want us to work for you but you wont work for me? That's quite a list of reasons to not pay someone. Do they at least get ADS removed from the site if they work for free?

Don't ever fall for scams like this folks. It gets you nowhere and only helps those using your kind heart. You're a lemon to them and they're thristy.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    How about rehiring ex-moderators this time around?

Requirements :

-Work for free for a website that makes money
    -Have serious issues with authority
    -Still be willing to see ads,unless you pay extra lmao
    -Need to be willing to defend corporates at all costs,after all,remember that Amazon owns you (apparently that also means you should defend executives from other corporations as well)
    Last edited by ONCHEhap; 2021-08-16 at 05:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If volunteering doesn't interest you, then you certainly don't have to apply, but if people think running fan forums for a 16 year old game is raking in piles of cash I think being you're a little optimistic.

Moderation duties won't add very much extra time for anyone who is already an active participant on the forums anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    How about rehiring ex-moderators this time around?
    The overwhelming majority of "ex moderators" are so because they lost interest in modding or the forums in general. In those instances, they are welcome to reapply if they are active again.

And a general reminder again that this thread isn't for complaining about moderation. Please use proper channels if you have complaints or feedbacks and keep this one open to questions.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Indil View Post
    It's 2020. We are not in the early internet days of the 90s anymore.

You definitely should pay them, lol.
    Well, MMOC and other similar sites do have that good ol' nineties-esque, 56k modem aroma (don't get me wrong, I like it!). So perhaps the part about mods being unpaid is just part of the decoration
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking only for myself, I'd rather come and go as I please, log in at all sorts of odd hours, sometimes spend as little as a few minutes checking over things, not have to fill out a timecard, much less the nightmare of regular moderation shifts that would pay a pittance. The kind of structure and bookkeeping that would have to be added with paid moderation, especially since our moderators are based in many countries, would be a loss. Overhead is expensive.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to volunteer. It's a choice that people can make.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by scelero View Post
    Don't ever fall for scams like this folks.
    It seems doubtful that you know what a scam is. Hint: this isn't one.

My hopes are that we can see an improvement in quality selection this time around. It would be a nice improvement not to have to walk on eggshells, hoping your opinion won't yield a ban because it did not match the opinion of those in charge. I, myself wanted to help improve things however, the system does not allow you to apply with a "history". I hope this can be fixed going forward as I tried warning the site that not removing any frivolous infractions would sooner or later cause an issue and here we are.
    Last edited by Necromantic; 2021-08-18 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    If volunteering doesn't interest you, then you certainly don't have to apply, but if people think running fan forums for a 16 year old game is raking in piles of cash I think being you're a little optimistic.

Moderation duties won't add very much extra time for anyone who is already an active participant on the forums anyway.

The overwhelming majority of "ex moderators" are so because they lost interest in modding or the forums in general. In those instances, they are welcome to reapply if they are active again.

And a general reminder again that this thread isn't for complaining about moderation. Please use proper channels if you have complaints or feedbacks and keep this one open to questions.
    Could I ask where the best place to provide feedback on moderation would be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Could I ask where the best place to provide feedback on moderation would be?
    PM a global or use the "Contact Us" link at the top of the site if your feedback pertains to the globals.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    Thats why often the type that applies for unpaid moderation gets his "payment" in being able to ban what he doesn't like. I think moderation here is surprisingly well performing as other sites turned into trash due to letting a few new hires run amok in the same time frame mmo-champ has been alive without ever following such a trend. Wonder what makes the difference. Better screening process?
    Especially considering how old this website is. You'd think this place would be way more cliquey and toxic.

5+ Year Old Account
    Haha, good luck guys. Whoever applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    My hopes are that we can see an improvement in quality selection this time around. It would be a nice improvement not to have to walk on eggshells, hoping your opinion won't yield a ban because it did not match the opinion of those in charge. I, myself wanted to help improve things however, the system does not allow you to apply with a "history". I hope this can be fixed going forward as I tried warning the site that not removing any frivolous infractions would sooner or later cause an issue and here we are.
    Any infraction can be appealed and if it the "supreme court" upholds the infraction then that post was against the dominant culture here.
    As long standing members both you and I perfectly well know what falls within the "allowed" and what doesn't.
    And both you and I perfectly well know that it has its risks to go against it.
    Expecting MMO-Champion to "hire" people whose post history goes against the culture here seems quite strange to me.

P.S.
    My posts history would show that I regularly find myself against the "party line" and I have to suffer infractions from time to time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a reminder: This thread is for questions about becoming a moderator only.

If you have other questions or remarks, please direct them at a Global (blue) Moderator through a PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    My hopes are that we can see an improvement in quality selection this time around. It would be a nice improvement not to have to walk on eggshells, hoping your opinion won't yield a ban because it did not match the opinion of those in charge.
    Infractions are issued when they violate the rules. Bans are triggered automatically based on the active infraction points on one's account, and not applied directly by moderators. Outside of very rare exceptions (and only applied by globals/admins in that case), bans can only trigger if one has previously received multiple recent infractions on the account already. A breakdown with details is available in the site rules.

I, myself wanted to help improve things however, the system does not allow you to apply with a "history". I hope this can be fixed going forward as I tried warning the site that not removing any frivolous infractions would sooner or later cause an issue and here we are.
    Infractions are removed. Regular 5 point "warning" infractions expire after 90 days. Even more serious infractions with higher point values expire eventually, but these take twice as long.

I covered this already in the first Q&A post but to clarify: expired infractions and past behaviour isn't held against applicants if the infractions are minor and the user has shown improvement since then. We're not going to promote people with active infractions because that suggests either they aren't familiar with the site rules, or they don't care about them, don't understand them, and/or don't have the self control to follow them. All of those are pretty big red flags for moderators.

Once infractions have expired, if that user has shown a good improvement in behaviour, their application would be welcome and they'd be considered just as any other user. We've had plenty of mods promoted who have had infractions in the past. The important thing was that they had been a good, constructive user for some time and that they understood and adhered to the site's policies now.

| twitch | bsky
    |