Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    He's as interesting as the player characters themselves. A plot device and nothing more, only involved in the narrative to progress the stories of the actual protagonist(s).
    The game doesnt really act like the player characters are that important though. We talk to important characters often for sure, but its really the other characters that are the stars of the show.

The game does however treat the Jailer like a big deal though, and seems quite intent on acting like he is a well-established deep character that the players have wanted to see for ages. As opposed to the big blue man from nowhere he really is.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The game doesnt really act like the player characters are that important though. We talk to important characters often for sure, but its really the other characters that are the stars of the show.

The game does however treat the Jailer like a big deal though, and seems quite intent on acting like he is a well-established deep character that the players have wanted to see for ages. As opposed to the big blue man from nowhere he really is.
    It tries to have its cake and it eat, too. The players are at once the fulcrum around which this entire cosmic narrative pivots and complete and utter nobodies.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    The thing why I don't think he will win is: it wouldn't make sense for further expansions unless he dies as he basically is the personalized death and when he's gone the entire death trope has come to an end. Can death lead into void/light? Sure. But I don't see how that would require him "winning".

So yes, while he can win, Zovaal has to die. He serves basically no purpose anymore if he wins. And we for sure won't have another expansion where he's the bad boy. So while his actions might prelude the next expansion, his character was dead on arrival already. Or is anyone here anticipating yet another expansion where Zovaal is the main villain and we have to fight him? Come on, typing that already sounds dreadful.
    He will be running the show and pretty much take up the mantle of the major bad guy until we have completed our loop along the full circle and bring back the Pantheon/Titans into the show. Sargeras and his pips are now on vacation so yoh need somewhere else to get preoccupied.

15+ Year Old Account
    He can win but still die after

Then we ask for the help of both light and void and light becomes much more "evil" then before. Turalyon is in place, his wife too. Just brain storming
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

It tries to have its cake and it eat, too. The players are at once the fulcrum around which this entire cosmic narrative pivots and complete and utter nobodies.
    It's not so much that we are nobodies, it's that the storytelling can't decide if we are part of the story or not. The framing of the story in WoW is all kinds of bad, which begins with people constantly talking at us but not with us and ends with the entirely absent angency in everything we do.

This will become even more apparent now, after ALOT of people finally used their time and took a look at other games out there (like FF or any half-way decent RPG for that matter). I think Blizzard will face even more criticism about this, because the way they tell their story is truly awful (even for MMORPGs) and that has nothing to do with 17-year-old-game-wah-wah handwaiving or "it was always like this" goalpost-moving. For the type of story that Blizzard wants to tell right now they simply have chosen one of the worst ways toconvey a narrative. Their "storytelling" worked when all it was, was mostly set dressing for some background story, but with the character focused stories they want to tell now they really need more than cutscenes riddled with mystery boxes. Many more people will have seen that this can be done considerably better, even in games that look more dated than WoW.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-08-19 at 06:54 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    He will be running the show and pretty much take up the mantle of the major bad guy until we have completed our loop along the full circle and bring back the Pantheon/Titans into the show. Sargeras and his pips are now on vacation so yoh need somewhere else to get preoccupied.
    I just have a very hard time to imagine this. Sargeras was always passively interacting with us and only became apparent towards the end of Legion. Most of his agency came to fruition by the hands of his minions.

Zovaal has been "active" since the start of Shadowlands (and he isn't good at his, he's acting like a fool most of the time) and done nothing "secretly". Now imagine this exact same stuff not only for the next content patch, but for the entirety of the next expansion as well, if Zovaal is to be kept as a villain and doesn't die in 9.2 - it just sounds incredibly dull already, doesn't it? I mean, what will he do what he hasn't done in the context of Shadowlands? The entire next expansion with him as the centerpiece villain, again? This will be dead on arrival, that I can already predict.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Good morning everyone,

Given the current turmoil in our studio and the refusal of anyone at any level of management to communicate with each other or the community, I thought I'd take it upon myself to share a few details about what is currently going on internally with the WoW team.

Firstly, the lawsuit. It is affecting every level of development and, honestly, we're not really getting any direction from supervision currently. That is, if you still have supervision at all. The closest I'll get to identifying myself is stating that I was in Jon LeCraft's stable. As I'm sure you've heard, he has "voluntarily" resigned (for good reason). As you may not know, senior developers like him tend to have an inner circle that follow each other from job to job. Much of that inner circle has also left, voluntarily or otherwise. There is a lot of "guilt by association" going around right now, and since virtually everyone in supervisory or management positions have associated with these bad actors as a function of their position at one point or another, everyone is walking on eggshells, trying to keep their heads down, and whatever other analogies you want to make for trying to go unnoticed and keep their jobs. This survival-mode mindset is making it difficult to progress. That being said, despite everything grinding to a halt for a couple days and people taking one tweet out of context, work is being done. We just aren't able to get clear direction or certain decisions made that would assist us in upping the quality of clarity of that work.

The biggest example of that lack of decisiveness is the fact that we literally do not know what the next expansion is going to be yet. It was narrowed down to two paths a little bit after Shadowlands launched and the path be took was going to be dependent on how certain features of Shadowlands were received. Unfortunately, Shadowlands has not been received well in any respect (and we are not blind to this), so we haven't been able to settle on the next. Add in a lot of management departing and the remainder trying to be as invisible as possible, and you have a recipe for indecision. Furthermore, the elephant in the room is FFXIV. The worker bees discuss it a lot, and management (when they do talk at all) tend to talk about its features instead of just naming it directly. There are certain elements we would definitely like to add to WoW, but again, the lack of direction is hurting us right now.

So what are the two options? There is a small civil war that has been escalating over which of these options we will take.

The first is a Wrathion-centered setting that has been an alternate candidate for both Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands. The often referenced Dragon Isles would be an element of this, but "Dragon Isles" is a bit of a misnomer. Those draconic pocket dimensions called "Sanctums" beneath Wyrmrest Temple exist as a sort of back up save for Azeroth when the Titans first ordered it. With the Sundering, Cataclysm, and Sword of Sargeras all irrevocably damaging Azeroth, Wrathion feels that the dragonflights have failed in their duty to defend our world. So, Wrathion hits the reset button. These Sanctums manifest physically out in the world in strategic locations, collectively called "Isles," and begin to heal the surrounding landscape to a primordial default. (Small sidenote: concepts for a revamped Caverns of Time have been really trippy - this route would be worth exploring just to see those realized.)

The second option would ratchet the cosmic scope of the story up another notch. Honestly, I don't have the best idea of what exactly the narrative would be about because I really don't care for this idea at all. From what I can tell, we get embroiled in a cosmic civil war - Order, Shadow, and Death against Chaos, Light, and Life. The "flagship" champions of these realms are all already known to us - Illidan represents Order, Xal'atath represents Shadow, Sylvanas represents Death, Sargeras represents Chaos, Yrel represents Light, and Alexstrasza represents Life. Essentially, Sylvanas succeeds in her goal to defeat Death, but that disruption to the cosmic structure prompts other forces to make their moves. Alexstrasza finally gets her turn as a corrupted Aspect. Most of the details are lost on me, honestly.

No one has yet made the call on which direction we are going to go. A lot of the more seasoned developers want to revisit the old world while the newer blood generally wants to escalate our current narrative directly. Once management comes out of their foxholes, we might get an answer on this, but it doesn't look to be coming soon. Development on 9.2 proceeds slowly, but there are certain elements that will need to be adjusted based on which direction we're going to go in, and the thematic of 9.3 (and yes, there will be a 9.3) is going to be heavily reliant on that decision.

The next build-around feature is going to be themed around either choosing a Dragonflight or Cosmic Force to represent and the foundations for this are already being developed. Conceptually, we're aiming for a hybrid between artifacts and Covenants. Mechanically, all choices are going to be identical, much like artifacts. Only the aesthetic rewards and associated narrative will change. (As another sidenote, there have been discussions around revamping grouping restrictions along these lines as well, but something like that won't be happening in the near future.) The Soulbind idea is being carried forward, but these will be more strongly identified with specializations than they are now, but we are still giving the players to choose: maybe a Priest wants to PvP and would be more comfortable with defensive passives than the healing ones, for example. Additionally, the intent is to bring this system beyond the next expansion. We want to create a system that is informed by the lessons learned over the past three expansions and stop tying up so many man hours with entirely new progression systems.

Speaking more to FFXIV's influences, I'm confident of two things.

Firstly, legitimate housing is coming. It took a lot of effort to convince management that garrisons are not the same thing, but FFXIV's example was able to reinforce that point enough to make it stick. Regardless of which direction is chosen, housing is going to be a tentpole feature, so the tech is already being worked on. It is going to be more modular and limited than FFXIV's "put anything anywhere" approach because of the limits of the engine. The current idea is that each guild will have a unique instance, with a central guild hall that will provide small boosts to player power based on its configuration, and a surrounding neighborhood of individually owned houses, and rooms available within the hall once those plots are used up. Part of the idea is to make guilds matter again and to foster those communities by giving them shared goals.

Secondly, our take on Eureka / Bozja content. Because it has been rather difficult to define the player's place in the narrative, for the purposes of this content, we aren't involving the player character at all. The intent is to create new characters for each class and have the player take on their role in the story, complete with voiced dialogue choices. Progression in these narratives, and the zone in which it occurs, will be separate from the overall player progression system - you'll be able to find titles, mounts, achievements, and pets, but no power rewards will be available. That is to say, all power progression rewards will be internal to this system - you can still grow more powerful as your proxy character. We hope that we can capture some of FFXIV's narrative immersion with this mode of gameplay, as honestly, WoW just isn't otherwise structured in a way that allows the player character establish themselves as an actual character in the narrative.

As for other new additions, a new class is completely off the table for the foreseeable future. We simply aren't able to commit future development resources to an investment like that. We have enough on our plate already on that front. We're also very satisfied with our currently offered options. Most of what we see suggested already hews too closely to already playable options (like Dark Ranger, Tinker or Necromancer) or just isn't a thematic fit for our game (like Dragoons or Bards). However, playable races, new and old, are in active development, and there is a commitment to further expanding the options for the already playable options.

Suffice it to say, things are a bit of a mess right now. We do have internal roadmaps and work is being done on things that have been set in stone already, but there is very little forward momentum otherwise. Morale doesn't exist and we're honestly just waiting for things with management to settle so we can get a clear vision of where we're going without it being changed every month.

I know it might not seem like it at times, but we honestly just want to make a great game for you all. It is just so difficult to do so in the current climate, particularly when we aren't getting clear direction from the top.

Just had an idea

I think retail could really benefit right now from a fresh server going online and requiring everyone to start a level 1 character again, and no option to transfer old characters to the server

I think it'd be fun to make re-roll guilds again and do content together at a fresh gear level

Nice write up of all the fan concepts from the last years. If not for this line the biggest example of that lack of decisiveness is the fact that we literally do not know what the next expansion is going to be yet some could rate it as real.

Oh and just let me quote this before it gets edited out:

Quote Originally Posted by MoFubuki13 View Post
    Good morning everyone,

Given the current turmoil in our studio and the refusal of anyone at any level of management to communicate with each other or the community, I thought I'd take it upon myself to share a few details about what is currently going on internally with the WoW team.

Firstly, the lawsuit. It is affecting every level of development and, honestly, we're not really getting any direction from supervision currently. That is, if you still have supervision at all. The closest I'll get to identifying myself is stating that I was in Jon LeCraft's stable. As I'm sure you've heard, he has "voluntarily" resigned (for good reason). As you may not know, senior developers like him tend to have an inner circle that follow each other from job to job. Much of that inner circle has also left, voluntarily or otherwise. There is a lot of "guilt by association" going around right now, and since virtually everyone in supervisory or management positions have associated with these bad actors as a function of their position at one point or another, everyone is walking on eggshells, trying to keep their heads down, and whatever other analogies you want to make for trying to go unnoticed and keep their jobs. This survival-mode mindset is making it difficult to progress. That being said, despite everything grinding to a halt for a couple days and people taking one tweet out of context, work is being done. We just aren't able to get clear direction or certain decisions made that would assist us in upping the quality of clarity of that work.

The biggest example of that lack of decisiveness is the fact that we literally do not know what the next expansion is going to be yet. It was narrowed down to two paths a little bit after Shadowlands launched and the path be took was going to be dependent on how certain features of Shadowlands were received. Unfortunately, Shadowlands has not been received well in any respect (and we are not blind to this), so we haven't been able to settle on the next. Add in a lot of management departing and the remainder trying to be as invisible as possible, and you have a recipe for indecision. Furthermore, the elephant in the room is FFXIV. The worker bees discuss it a lot, and management (when they do talk at all) tend to talk about its features instead of just naming it directly. There are certain elements we would definitely like to add to WoW, but again, the lack of direction is hurting us right now.

So what are the two options? There is a small civil war that has been escalating over which of these options we will take.

The first is a Wrathion-centered setting that has been an alternate candidate for both Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands. The often referenced Dragon Isles would be an element of this, but "Dragon Isles" is a bit of a misnomer. Those draconic pocket dimensions called "Sanctums" beneath Wyrmrest Temple exist as a sort of back up save for Azeroth when the Titans first ordered it. With the Sundering, Cataclysm, and Sword of Sargeras all irrevocably damaging Azeroth, Wrathion feels that the dragonflights have failed in their duty to defend our world. So, Wrathion hits the reset button. These Sanctums manifest physically out in the world in strategic locations, collectively called "Isles," and begin to heal the surrounding landscape to a primordial default. (Small sidenote: concepts for a revamped Caverns of Time have been really trippy - this route would be worth exploring just to see those realized.)

The second option would ratchet the cosmic scope of the story up another notch. Honestly, I don't have the best idea of what exactly the narrative would be about because I really don't care for this idea at all. From what I can tell, we get embroiled in a cosmic civil war - Order, Shadow, and Death against Chaos, Light, and Life. The "flagship" champions of these realms are all already known to us - Illidan represents Order, Xal'atath represents Shadow, Sylvanas represents Death, Sargeras represents Chaos, Yrel represents Light, and Alexstrasza represents Life. Essentially, Sylvanas succeeds in her goal to defeat Death, but that disruption to the cosmic structure prompts other forces to make their moves. Alexstrasza finally gets her turn as a corrupted Aspect. Most of the details are lost on me, honestly.

No one has yet made the call on which direction we are going to go. A lot of the more seasoned developers want to revisit the old world while the newer blood generally wants to escalate our current narrative directly. Once management comes out of their foxholes, we might get an answer on this, but it doesn't look to be coming soon. Development on 9.2 proceeds slowly, but there are certain elements that will need to be adjusted based on which direction we're going to go in, and the thematic of 9.3 (and yes, there will be a 9.3) is going to be heavily reliant on that decision.

The next build-around feature is going to be themed around either choosing a Dragonflight or Cosmic Force to represent and the foundations for this are already being developed. Conceptually, we're aiming for a hybrid between artifacts and Covenants. Mechanically, all choices are going to be identical, much like artifacts. Only the aesthetic rewards and associated narrative will change. (As another sidenote, there have been discussions around revamping grouping restrictions along these lines as well, but something like that won't be happening in the near future.) The Soulbind idea is being carried forward, but these will be more strongly identified with specializations than they are now, but we are still giving the players to choose: maybe a Priest wants to PvP and would be more comfortable with defensive passives than the healing ones, for example. Additionally, the intent is to bring this system beyond the next expansion. We want to create a system that is informed by the lessons learned over the past three expansions and stop tying up so many man hours with entirely new progression systems.

Firstly, legitimate housing is coming. It took a lot of effort to convince management that garrisons are not the same thing, but FFXIV's example was able to reinforce that point enough to make it stick. Regardless of which direction is chosen, housing is going to be a tentpole feature, so the tech is already being worked on. It is going to be more modular and limited than FFXIV's "put anything anywhere" approach because of the limits of the engine. The current idea is that each guild will have a unique instance, with a central guild hall that will provide small boosts to player power based on its configuration, and a surrounding neighborhood of individually owned houses, and rooms available within the hall once those plots are used up. Part of the idea is to make guilds matter again and to foster those communities by giving them shared goals.

Secondly, our take on Eureka / Bozja content. Because it has been rather difficult to define the player's place in the narrative, for the purposes of this content, we aren't involving the player character at all. The intent is to create new characters for each class and have the player take on their role in the story, complete with voiced dialogue choices. Progression in these narratives, and the zone in which it occurs, will be separate from the overall player progression system - you'll be able to find titles, mounts, achievements, and pets, but no power rewards will be available. That is to say, all power progression rewards will be internal to this system - you can still grow more powerful as your proxy character. We hope that we can capture some of FFXIV's narrative immersion with this mode of gameplay, as honestly, WoW just isn't otherwise structured in a way that allows the player character establish themselves as an actual character in the narrative.

As for other new additions, a new class is completely off the table for the foreseeable future. We simply aren't able to commit future development resources to an investment like that. We have enough on our plate already on that front. We're also very satisfied with our currently offered options. Most of what we see suggested already hews too closely to already playable options (like Dark Ranger, Tinker or Necromancer) or just isn't a thematic fit for our game (like Dragoons or Bards). However, playable races, new and old, are in active development, and there is a commitment to further expanding the options for the already playable options.

Suffice it to say, things are a bit of a mess right now. We do have internal roadmaps and work is being done on things that have been set in stone already, but there is very little forward momentum otherwise. Morale doesn't exist and we're honestly just waiting for things with management to settle so we can get a clear vision of where we're going without it being changed every month.

I know it might not seem like it at times, but we honestly just want to make a great game for you all. It is just so difficult to do so in the current climate, particularly when we aren't getting clear direction from the top.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Ain’t Zovaal supposed to be a bigger foe than Sargeras tho?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good morning everyone,

So whats this then?
    From what I read here.. its believeable, but odd some one just making this up for the lolz right?

No chance we aren’t getting a new class.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    What is written down somewhere by a blue post or?

- - - Updated - - -

No chance we aren’t getting a new class.
    Weird right? What will next expansion sell us?

Player housing is waste of resource , if we have to believe that post then its not good.

First thing they need to do is stop the bleeding.

Why is the game bleeding? Esports, most people that play wow are mmorpg players, they didn't sign up for this, so they are signing up with mmorpg's.

Remedy by keeping the epsorts but make it an rpg again, bring in housing, long engaging quest lines which reward heroic raid level gear, as a solo player the vault never meant anything to me and tbh you feel like you don't matter, which is probably true with such focus on esports and raids as the be all of the game.

They need to treat mmorpg players with way more respect and attention.

Been playing wow since the day it launched with huge breaks in there ofc, but been there for every xpac, and that was all solo with fam. I'm new to M+ and Raids as of SL, 4/10 Mythic atm, but that's all i do now which sucks hard as there really isn't much for the solo player (rpg), i go off to other games for rpg which isn't what i like, i just like to play one mmorpg with an mmorpg backup to prevent burn out. So i show up to raid, then spend all my time in my backup mmorpg.

It's not a hard thing to figure out...

As esports increased, subscriptions decreased.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough for that. Especially

The biggest example of that lack of decisiveness is the fact that we literally do not know what the next expansion is going to be yet.
    I can accept there's some issues and plans changing but "we don't know what it will be" is extremely hard to believe.

I'd rather have a new specializations for each class than another class.

Would be way more exciting.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was a bummer( big one) when they stopped with the costumization feature, this has to be BIG or else it will just get the same reactions. 2 skin colors extra and a bracelet or 3 doesnt cut it anymore. The expanded options we got was nice, but felt like a slow first step to improve on the whole system.

From day one it was vague as hell what we wete suppose to get and if we get more. Some barely had any new options. This whole feature felt like a let down imo and my sig sums it up perfectly. Thanks for that effort again x

No new class also sounds realy terrible, when so many people are asking for it. Some just realy want to play a certain archtype, why not let them. This is an mmorpg ffs and asking for a class is big, but even asking for a certain scar or hairstyle takes ages and the result of thst is that people just dont care anymore or have moved on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    I'd rather have a new specializations for each class than another class.

Would be way more exciting.
    I would agree that it would make things realy exciting. Just the thought of choosing what to do and what spec to play.

Downside is, like others have said is that I see alot of problems and just smaller issues that everyone has their own opion on to fix those things. Examples: you give druid a new spec yes/no? Gladiator stance or would that be part of it or what about classes balance in general. etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    I cannot roll my eyes hard enough for that. Especially

I can accept there's some issues and plans changing but "we don't know what it will be" is extremely hard to believe.
    Eh, I'll dismiss it for a few reasons, but this isn't one of them. They detailed that they were working on the new expansion. It was simply the theme that they hadn't settled on yet. You can start building a house before you choose the color of the siding.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    He is the death pantheon's fallen version of Amman'thul. Doesn't really matter though, Sargeras also managed to bring down our pantheon without much issue. With all the first ones shit we know now from the lame new book it's clear that these clowns in the shadowlands are literally just another pantheon, not just something like that. So I don't really see how he should be much higer than Sargeras, other than that he was written (with 3rd grader skills) to be the mastermind of everything.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you can tell by this sentence that it is fake

"Unfortunately, Shadowlands has not been received well in any respect (and we are not blind to this)"

But really nice mock-up
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...