Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Star Wars: Visions

Star Wars: Visions is a collection of animated short films presented "through the lens of the world's best anime creators" that offer "a fresh and diverse cultural perspective to Star Wars"
    Release: September 22 - all 9 stories

Reminds me of Galaxy of Adventures mini-series they did which is kind of hard to find for some reason despite being great.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...03Tlr8R3OZ5vEa
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-08-17 at 10:40 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the lightsabers and the droids, and the podracers.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

While there's some stuff that I already know I won't like (I'm not the biggest Anime-fan, so no surprise there ) some things looked really cool and it made me think about how much the whole Star Wars was influenced by early Samurai films and that some of those scenes look so naturally Star Wars that the Samurai basis of it all shines through ^^ Very curious about how this turns out and I am for sure going to watch it. If I end up liking only half of it, that's still more Star Wars to like

I watched the first part of the trailer and was immediately disappointed by the English dub. Fortunately I kept watching as the Japanese VO immediately redeemed it. I'm not normally much of an anime fan (I don't mind it, I just prefer reading manga instead), but this is one of those rare shows I will definitely be checking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Art is all over the place. But the show is done by different studios:
    Kamikaze Douga, Geno Studio (Twin Engine), Studio Colorido (Twin Engine), Trigger (3.41 -- you can clearly see it) , Kinema Citrus, Science Saru and Production IG.

Kamikaze Douga does the OPs for studios, like Jojo bizzare adverture.
    Geno Studio did a Golden Kamuy.
    Studio Colorido did some pokemon short anime and thats it realy.
    Trigger is Killa la kill and other stuff.
    Kinema Citrus is known for Made in Abyss and The Rising of the Shield Hero.
    Science Saru only good thing is Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
    Production I.G is kinda a weird one as only unique show that i watched from them was a Joker Game. (LOTGS remake doesnt count)

Also the start of video sounds a lot like Samurai Jack

This show is a realy weird project.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    This still looks cool as all hell. Star Wars + anime? Was this made specifically for me?

Really glad to see the Trigger part doesn't look like it will be holding anything back and is going full Trigger.

Version of the trailer with the Japanese voice acting: CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Art is all over the place. But the show is done by different studios:
    Kamikaze Douga, Geno Studio (Twin Engine), Studio Colorido (Twin Engine), Trigger (3.41 -- you can clearly see it) , Kinema Citrus, Science Saru and Production IG.

Also the start of video sounds a lot like Samurai Jack

This show is a realy weird project.
    Have you ever seen the Animatrix? This seems to be similar to that. A bunch of seperate, unconnected stories made by a number of different studios that all just take place in the same universe.

The 'Animatrix' of Star Wars.
    We've gone full circle back to George Lucas' original influences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    That "other stuff" is some of the most well known anime around lol
    I would say Kill la Kill is probably the most famous of Trigger's series. I don't think Little Witch Academia, Darling in the Franxx or Gridman are as well known as Kill la Kill. Everything else you may associate with them is probably actually Gainax.

What makes me happy about it is that I got the impression it was still within the "spirit" of Star Wars while being in a radically different art style then is tradition. Something I usually don't feel when jumps are made like that in franchises. So I look forward to watching Visions.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2021-08-18 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    What makes me happy about it is that I got the impression it was still within the "spirit" of Star Wars while being in a radically different art style then is tradition. Something I usually don't feel when jumps are made like that in franchises. So I look forward to watching Visions.
    I actually got the opposite reaction. This allows them to (and this is the feeling I got) explore little side stories/themes in Star Wars.

Like someone said above, it has strong The Animatrix vibes. The Wachowskis, 20 years ahead of the game. And The Animatrix was fucking fantastic, as a non-anime watcher. In fact, The Animatrix is probably the only anime I've ever watched - this will probably be the second.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I actually got the opposite reaction. This allows them to (and this is the feeling I got) explore little side stories/themes in Star Wars.

Like someone said above, it has strong The Animatrix vibes. The Wachowskis, 20 years ahead of the game. And The Animatrix was fucking fantastic, as a non-anime watcher. In fact, The Animatrix is probably the only anime I've ever watched - this will probably be the second.
    I am slightly confused.. because I feel the same?

I thought this was some fan made thing when i was shown it due to all the different styles. Some of them look pretty good.

Star Wars anime... wat

Looks like Love, Death and Robots with the different styles. Each episode is its own thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Star Wars anime... wat

Looks like Love, Death and Robots with the different styles. Each episode is its own thing?
    Yup. Basically a playground for creators to experiment with what Star Wars could be. I'd assume Disney will keep track on what gets good resonance and what doesn't and might expand one or two concepts into fully fledged series. Advanced market research. Smart move.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I would definitely recommend the series. Even the lighter episodes are interesting.

My favorite is the first episode: The Duel.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't too sure if I'd want to check this out, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Trigger is Killa la kill and other stuff.
    Sold.

edit:

[Ayirasi:] It's nice that I can watch the episodes with Japanese dialogue [cheers], but [sighs] the only option for English subtitles is with [gasps] closed captioning? [shakes fist] That's not annoying at all! [neighbor drives past house with loud bass music playing]
    Last edited by Ayirasi; 2021-09-22 at 07:52 PM.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

15+ Year Old Account
    I jumped around a bit based on what studios I was most interested in, so I haven't seen them all yet. Thoughts so far:

Episode 1: Very cool, heavily stylized, but also kind of the first thing that comes to mind when you imagine a mashup of Star Wars with Japanese cinema. I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. It's a good introduction to anime for audiences who might be apprehensive about it. Loved the character and weapon designs, really solid, grounded fight choreography. This could easily have been an episode of The Mandalorian.

Episode 3: Crazy, fun, total nonsense. Being a fan of TTGL and Kill la Kill, I knew what to expect going into this: over-the-top insanity. And it sure does deliver. Gorgeous animation, some cool concepts (test tube twins, Kyber-powered Dark Armor, Gemini-Class Star Destroyer, etc.) and awesome moments (the final slash), but it's very silly. Also, maybe just me, but it felt like it was really poorly written. The dialogue was very exposition heavy and crammed full of obvious Star Wars tropes.

Episode 5: Now, this is something special. I heard buzz about this episode based on early reviews, and it is absolutely warranted. If they're using Visions episodes as backdoor pilots, I'd say this is the clear winner; pick it up and run with it. "The Ninth Jedi" manages to accomplish a very difficult trick, which is that it feels extremely familiar and true to the Star Wars tradition while introducing new ideas and dynamics that feel extremely fresh. This episode made me legitimately excited, and I want to see more stuff set in this new era. Great animation, incredible score, really cool designs and fight scenes, great writing, and stuff I won't spoil. Exciting!

Episode 7: I really enjoyed this one. Great animation and art style, very simple and subtle story. Captured the relationship between Jedi and Padawan very well. Action was understated but cool. Really good dialogue. Honestly there's not a lot to say about it, it wasn't flashy at all, but was just executed at a very high level all around.

Episode 8: Pretty cool. I think this one could be divisive for people since the art style is a bit unusual, and it wasn't really doing anything too new, but it was really well executed. Clever plot, really good character writing. Some neat visual effects, too. Rendered lightsabers in a way I've never seen done before, with afterimages instead of blurring.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2021-09-22 at 08:02 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have encountered a few people on the internet complaining the series isn't "canon" and "deviates from the lore." (What a shock, a Star Wars property that has annoyed some people, who could ever think such a thing is possible?)

I thought that Disney was clear that this series was non-canon and was meant for the creators to have their own spin using Star Wars as a base and diverging from there.

As I said, I enjoyed the entire series and there are some I could see being reworked to fit the canon. There was no episode that I watched where I went "Yeah, I wish I hadn't." There are light hearted ones, ones that are overtop bizarre, but every single one I enjoyed watching. It is clear the creators put work and love into these episodes.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I have encountered a few people on the internet complaining the series isn't "canon" and "deviates from the lore." (What a shock, a Star Wars property that has annoyed some people, who could ever think such a thing is possible?)

I thought that Disney was clear that this series was non-canon and was meant for the creators to have their own spin using Star Wars as a base and diverging from there.

As I said, I enjoyed the entire series and there are some I could see being reworked to fit the canon. There was no episode that I watched where I went "Yeah, I wish I hadn't." There are light hearted ones, ones that are overtop bizarre, but every single one I enjoyed watching. It is clear the creators put work and love into these episodes.
    I read it the other way they are clearly very canon just exploring different aspects of the galaxy. Pretty sure Disney wouldn't have allowed a bunch of things if they were not Canon.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    I read it the other way they are clearly very canon just exploring different aspects of the galaxy. Pretty sure Disney wouldn't have allowed a bunch of things if they were not Canon.
    https://www.starwars.com/news/anime-...r-wars-visions

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi...visions-canon/

"We really wanted to give these creators a wide creative berth to explore all the imaginative potential of the Star Wars galaxy through the unique lens of anime.
    We realised we wanted these to be as authentic as possible to the studios and creators who are making them, made through their unique process, in a medium they’re such experts at.” - James Waugh

Some could fit in canon at some point. Others objectively don't. They aren't meant to be taken as canon to the timeline as the creators were given freedom to do what they wanted to do.
    –The Sith Code