15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Curious how the Steampad already has actual hands-on videos and the Switch OLED is still nowhere to be seen.
    Its like valve needs to market a new product and nintendo doesnt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Its like valve needs to market a new product and nintendo doesnt
    Valve does what Nintendon't
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious how the Steampad already has actual hands-on videos and the Switch OLED is still nowhere to be seen.
    It's almost like Valve needs to work hard to sell their product to people, cause the software side of things will be working against them while what the Switch constitutes is a known factor, it's just a regular switch with an OLED screen.

It continues to baffle me why people think the Steam Deck is a serious threat especially to the Switch, when Valve has absolutely fuck all to drive hardware sales with on the software side. Taking a bit out of lower end laptop market segment is about the absolute most it can do on any wider scale.

Umm its a switch, with an OLED screen. What hands on impressions do you need? Pretty straight forward what it is and what it does.

Steamdeck won't even reach the lifetime sales of the Vita. Comparing it to the Switch is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Then why did they name it a different region then? It may eventually become Sinnoh, but that doesn't mean that they're the same.
    Why was Hokkaido called Ezochi before it was settled by the mainland Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Umm its a switch, with an OLED screen. What hands on impressions do you need?
    A video of an OLED Switch held next to a conventional Switch is what I need. Nintendo understands this is their selling point, they offer a fake comparison on their website.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It continues to baffle me why people think the Steam Deck is a serious threat especially to the Switch, when Valve has absolutely fuck all to drive hardware sales with on the software side.
    For the software side try literally every game available for the PC but not for the Switch.

10+ Year Old Account

For the software side try literally every game available for the PC but not for the Switch.
    Valve do not have any games you need to buy a steam deck for to specifically get access to, not a single one, everyone going "but all the PC games!" misses something fairly substantial.

The sales pitch here is essentially "buy this thing to play the games you already have on your PC but with worse graphics on a small screen on bad battery time" for just about everyone not looking at it as an actual primary replacement for where they play PC games instead of as a supplement to it.

A video of an OLED Switch held next to a conventional Switch is what I need. Nintendo understands this is their selling point, they offer a fake comparison on their website.
    Once again it's a Switch with an OLED screen. The hardware is identical otherwise. If you don't understand this it sounds like you don't understand what OLED is. Did you think its some magical gpu power that is going to make games run better or something? LOL.

Once again it's a Switch with an OLED screen. The hardware is identical otherwise. If you don't understand this it sounds like you don't understand what OLED is. Did you think its some magical gpu power that is going to make games run better or something? LOL.
    Knowing what an OLED screen is doesn't mean anything if I don't know what an ordinary Switch screen is like. It's only when you place the two together in the same room under the same lighting that a comparison can be made.

The sales pitch here is essentially "buy this thing to play the games you already have on your PC but with worse graphics on a small screen on bad battery time" for just about everyone not looking at it as an actual primary replacement for where they play PC games instead of as a supplement to it.
    Yes indeed. I don't get to lug my desktop around everywhere I go, even my laptop is a stretch. But with a Steamdeck, not only is there a plethora of games that can't be played on a Switch that now can be played mobile, but the ones that overlap with the Switch will perform at way higher graphics as well.

What remains are Nintendo exclusives, which are barely exclusive to begin with due to the most popular Switch game really being a bunch of Wii-U ports, even Breath of the Wild isn't Switch exclusive.

And the OLED screen of course. For which I suppose will only be seen on the release day when Nintendo lifts the reviewer embargo.
    Last edited by Ivarr; 2021-08-20 at 12:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes indeed. Not only is there a plethora of games that can't be played on a Switch that now can be played mobile, but the ones that overlap with the Switch will perform at way higher graphics as well.
    Yet again demonstrating a limited awareness of what drives hardware sales for consoles.

It takes way more than just having a better specs sheet for that, like how the 3DS kicked the Vita's ass six ways to Sunday despite having way inferior hardware. This thing will be exceptionally lucky if it hits even WiiU levels of lifetime sales, never mind all the people convinced it's somehow a Switch killer.

Yet again demonstrating a limited awareness of what drives hardware sales for consoles.

It takes way more than just having a better specs sheet for that, like how the 3DS kicked the Vita's ass six ways to Sunday despite having way inferior hardware. This thing will be exceptionally lucky if it hits even WiiU levels of lifetime sales, never mind all the people convinced it's somehow a Switch killer.
    The cutest part is that there's that Yusu emulator that can be installed on the Steampad. Would be pretty awkward if even Switch 'exclusives' run on the Steampad better. Then there's truly just an OLED screen that remains.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cutest part is that there's that Yusu emulator that can be installed on the Steampad. Would be pretty awkward if even Switch 'exclusives' run on the Steampad better. Then there's truly just an OLED screen that remains.
    The cutest part is people convinced emulators is somehow going to rocket the Steam Deck past the Switch.

Just utter delusion.

Knowing what an OLED screen is doesn't mean anything if I don't know what an ordinary Switch screen is like. It's only when you place the two together in the same room under the same lighting that a comparison can be made.
    You mean you don't know what an LCD is? You know the old tech being replaced by OLED? Thats even more silly then not knowing what OLED is.

Bonus points for thinking the millions upon millions of casuals that buy a switch to play Nintendo games are gonna swap to a steamdeck "because emulator".

You mean you don't know what an LCD is? You know the old tech being replaced by OLED? Thats even more silly then not knowing what OLED is.
    The Gameboy Color has an LCD screen. The Switch having one as well tells me exactly nothing about its quality, and even less about its quality compared to OLED.

10+ Year Old Account
    With all due respect, a comparison like that is basically pointless when its filmed, compressed and uploaded to YouTube where people will view it through their below average monitor.

And I say below average, because if they had a good PC screen, then they wouldn't need to look at LCD vs OLED because they'd have already done that in the past for their monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    With all due respect, a comparison like that is basically pointless when its filmed, compressed and uploaded to YouTube where people will view it through their below average monitor.

And I say below average, because if they had a good PC screen, then they wouldn't need to look at LCD vs OLED because they'd have already done that in the past for their monitor.
    That's fair, can't accurately get an objective impression of how either screen functions independently. But it's still more than enough to get a good idea about the relative difference out of the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's fair, can't accurately get an objective impression of how either screen functions independently. But it's still more than enough to get a good idea about the relative difference out of the two.
    Very unlikely, other than the screen being large (identifiable by a screenshot) there's no indication of better resolution. Could you tell the screen looked better from Nintendo's video? I you couldn't from literal promotional material, I don't see how it'd be visible from any other video.

We already have hands on reviews from tech outlets. General consensus is "it looks better".

OG screen is a cheapish LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Very unlikely, other than the screen being large (identifiable by a screenshot) there's no indication of better resolution. Could you tell the screen looked better from Nintendo's video? I you couldn't from literal promotional material, I don't see how it'd be visible from any other video.
    It's the same 720p resolution. You could even argue that resolution-wise it will look slightly worse as it now works with larger pixels.

We already have hands on reviews from tech outlets. General consensus is "it looks better".
    Indeed, and the magazines that claim this (and I'm sure they're truthful) are getting downvoted to hell for not showing it in a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    OG screen is a cheapish LCD.
    Yeah that's my worry. And considering that's the only selling point of the new OLED the curiosity is killing me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like when pc dweebs come in here with the intent of just saying pc is better