Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    I'm confused. So what exactly are you enjoying about the game (since that's the topic)? I see you've exclusively posted in the WoW section prior to this message, how are you enjoying that game?
    I think this thread shows up in "Recent Forum Posts" on the front page and people don't realize it's for FFXIV when they click on it. I've seen a couple other replies that sounded like complaints about WoW that didn't make sense for FFXIV.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Final Fantasy XIV was inspired by World of Warcraft. Period. It's not even a debate, especially when the lead designer has specifically said so himself. I find it weird how desperately 14 players want to treat their game like it's fundamentally different. It's not. Which is better and which is worse we can debate until the end of time, but if you enjoy World of Warcraft then there are things about Final Fantasy XIV that will be familiar and welcoming to you. And vice-versa.

It is true, however, that there is a massive difference in overall community mindset. 14 is less driven by meta gameplay and doesn't really promote it. This can make it feel very different, which I think is what a lot of the players are trying to say.
    It was inspired by, it's not a copy of.

The way the game is designed is very different from WoW. It's the questing and combat frameworks they used and those are similar.
    So, yes players can aclimate to both relatively easily, but it is different from that point on. They are not the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post

Though truthfully i think realistically its really just another way of defining sandbox and theme-park mmo. Still, its fine to be different.
    I prefer the definition some other utuber used that it's an RPGMMO, because the rpg elements take center stage.
    I will watch the video later. But, his definition is strange cause i see more players in FF towns and places like Bozja, than i do in WoW, for example. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    How about action combat?
    There is no freaking huge difference between FF14 vs WoW. ElderScrollsOnline at least have a different combat system. The other two are not so different.
    How about all classes on one character?
    How about a Class that does everything?. Like for example Druid, Paladin or Monk from World of Warcraft....Its the same crap. The only reason FF14 gives you different classes in 1 character is because that allows you to Tank, DPS and Heal. Most of the classes are really alike in FF14. They even start with the same 3 abilities for DPS that activite one after another, at least for Pugilist, Lancer and Archer felt like that, today as i played them on my main character.
    How about scrapping vertical progression?
    Progression is Progression, it doesnt change at all in FF14, WoW or ESO.
    How about user generated in game content?
    Care to explain what do you mean with this one?. I havent seen anything called like that in FF14.

Also i notice today that FF14 had something called "Palace of the Dead" that looks a lot like Torghast from WoW. Like i told you. Blizzard did it!.
    ---
    The culture has a lot to do with the quality of work being delivered by the Japanese. Is a culture of perfectionist and attention to detail and it has always being like that, i saw that the moment i went to Tokio in 2019. Their culture is even shown in their game a lot, didn't you notice names like "Susano"?. Google it, so you learn from it.
    Druid is not the same as playing every class on character. Druid locks you to one play style for each spec. Not to mention all the extra stuff you would be mission out on for other classes like xmog and all that.

Potd came out long before torghast and they are really nothing alike.. if anything blizzard stole it from ffxiv. Lol..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    No villain was introduced in the hour and a half-ish that I saw. A guy in a black robe who seemed to have done some questionable things, but no hints at a villain. Just heading to another world, getting some background on this other world, talk to a ghost-guy, then off to a desert market and then a cave to meet a character we've met before. I watched until she was introduced again with a brief cutscene. I have never made it past level 30 in this game, so while I vaguely know who this character is, they were largely just portrayed as an aloof, annoying child when I saw them last. Anyway, that's the extent of what I saw from this playthrough. More voice-work, but still a lot of unvoiced stuff that feels in many ways quite similar to what I see when I step out of Limsa Lominsa on my low-level Marauder.

It was certainly more tightly produced. We were going somewhere. But I don't really get why it would be particularly gripping in a grander sense, compared to other games or stories. Too little context. That's on me for coming into a story 75% of the way through it, but still. A post-apocalyptic world isn't a unique story. I will say that the game at least looked fairly on the level of slightly older single-player RPGs. That's not a dig at it, FF14's engine is older at this point, and looking like that while at least having a directed story is pretty fine. I don't play story games for insane graphics.

So, in a vacuum, it's fine. But it's not in a vacuum, it's asking me to play through, what, 200 hours of stuff before I get to that? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I could buy and download a lot of RPGs and be having a fairly similar experience within an hour or two, rather than 200. In a way, this actually just makes me sad, because I probably would've enjoyed playing the game if all of it was made the way Shadowbringers is, rather than the slog it actually starts with.

Also, to be clear, I watched the first video and then about 34 minutes into the second video of this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW-t...7qUBylI9KMAlJF
    Shadowbringers is mainly praised because of the last 25% of the 70-80 MSQ. There's also the patch 5.3 stuff that's really good as well. Not saying the rest is bad, but it's pretty typical that the climax and the epilogue are the best parts of a story. You can't really just skip straight to those parts though because it wouldn't have as much impact. The adoration is definitely deserved, but requires a large time investment. Whether it's worth it to you is really up to you. I've played a lot of RPGs and JPRGS and the FFXIV story as a whole ranks near the top of the list for me. I also feel the time investment is worth it because the game is ongoing and has been progressively getting better with its story.

It has already started. Prior to the exodus I had encountered two toxic people in five years, now I've encountered two this month.

Granted we can just report them and after an investigation they'll be banned however it really tarnishes what would be an otherwise fun experience.
    Mind sharing the 2 examples that happened this month? I'm always curious about others experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittahsmash View Post
    So, you're like level 15?
    Eh, that statement could easily be argued as accurate for most of the jobs to 50-60 tbh.

I think the biggest hurdle for WoW players getting into FF14 is simply a willingness to move on from their many year addiction, try something new, and really give it a chance.

This was the case for me, where the first time I tried FF14 I really didn't want to give it a chance and jumped to being critical on everything because deep down, I really didn't want to leave WoW. Now that I have become thoroughly burnt out on that game and actually gave FF14 a fair shake, I am finding I was too hasty in my judgment the first time around and can see what a truly well-designed and immersive game this is.

If WoW has become like doing spreadsheets for "fun," FF14 is like the feeling I got playing Everquest for the first time in 1999, only with everything modernized, new, and sparkly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    I think the biggest hurdle for WoW players getting into FF14 is simply a willingness to move on from their many year addiction, try something new, and really give it a chance.

This was the case for me, where the first time I tried FF14 I really didn't want to give it a chance and jumped to being critical on everything because deep down, I really didn't want to leave WoW. Now that I have become thoroughly burnt out on that game and actually gave FF14 a fair shake, I am finding I was too hasty in my judgment the first time around and can see what a truly well-designed and immersive game this is.

If WoW has become like doing spreadsheets for "fun," FF14 is like the feeling I got playing Everquest for the first time in 1999, only with everything modernized, new, and sparkly.
    It's yes and no.

For example I'm a 16 years WoW player that just recently added FF14 as a side activity. And while I like it simply for "new thing" and quite a few more good points and ideas, I really don't think I'll do anything more than just story run here.

Reason is - combat is simply not up to snuff to WoW and it's a big turn off for me. It's not as fluid, not as on point and feels laggy at times with these desynched animations and flashy, but low quality ability visuals.

I'm a raider in WoW for almost my whole "career" there and for me things being synched down to milliseconds and what I see being what happens that exact split second are paramount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It's yes and no.

For example I'm a 16 years WoW player that just recently added FF14 as a side activity. And while I like it simply for "new thing" and quite a few more good points and ideas, I really don't think I'll do anything more than just story run here.

Reason is - combat is simply not up to snuff to WoW and it's a big turn off for me. It's not as fluid, not as on point and feels laggy at times with these desynched animations and flashy, but low quality ability visuals.

I'm a raider in WoW for almost my whole "career" there and for me things being synched down to milliseconds and what I see being what happens that exact split second are paramount.
    The combat does feel very janky at times.

IMHO, FFXIV is pretty good, but It's UI and player experience are a little lack luster, the world is also uglier and the zones are not captivating.
    The story though? Man, heavensward had me floored. Just finished the patch quests for SHB and also loved it, although the patches are a little on the weak side if you ask me.

But man, the gold saucer is awesome, the fact that blizzard does not have a zone that just get more and more things added with each expansion is just baffling to me after I came to the gold saucer. I mean, COME OOON. Darkmoon faire is not even close to being fun enough.

The fact that there is no player freedom in your build is a little annoying. But the fact that you only need one character is simply *chef's kiss* wish wow would do something like this to be honest. I also feel like the world in FFXIV is a little pointless. Unless you are doing hunts or something like that, you can basically ignore it.

Overall, good for a break and to experience the story every now and then, not sure if I will be a permanent resident of eorzia though.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post

Though truthfully i think realistically its really just another way of defining sandbox and theme-park mmo. Still, its fine to be different.
    I more or less agree with all of his sentiments, but...

The main point is basically to remove the "Massive" from MMORPG because "Massive" when MMORPG was coined was considered like 200 players on a server simultaneously (and yes, MMORPG was properly defined, but I still love you Nerd Slayer) and NOW we should consider massive much larger because of new tech?

If I can run into literally anyone in the world, do content with them in a persistent online world, it's going to be an MMORPG.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It is disingenuous to compare FFXIV to early WoW. Early WoW was a completely different beast than modern themepark MMOs. In early WoW, you didn't play for the story; you played to have fun with friends. And there wasn't a rush to endgame; the endgame was just having fun travelling around the world and getting killed by higher level mobs and players and having a good time with friends. That's very different from the endgame of WoW since late Wrath, where it's about getting to max level as soon as possible and then farming the latest raid over and over again, or FFXIV where the "endgame" is just doing story content, and then once you've done that you maybe stick around to do other stuff.
    My point was that the barrier for entry for WoW was insanely high. You may have been able to run around and dick off with your friends while leveling through Vanilla. I, and many others didn't. All of my friends at the time were normies who occasionally played Halo I was an MMO veteran at that point, so playing solo and taking 10 minutes to kill a mob as a healer was something I was used to being patient for. But for many people they quit because the WoW barrier of entry was stupid high.

The FF barrier to entry is also a little high, but it can't hold a candle to solo leveling through vanilla. So no, it's not disingenuous.

Also, I ran through the FF story with friends, and we'd all react together and talk about the story together. So it seems our experiences were flipped.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    With a lot of wow players going to FF14 I suspect the community will go to shit eventually. really unfortunate. The gaming community as a whole sucks, but the wow community especially is pure garbage.
    I think you underestimate how much influence the game design has on players. FF is not a super competitive game nor does it have systems design to force you to do activities.
    I think you will find the same people pretty tame on FF.

That and the fact that there are consequences for your actions in FF.

Speaking as someone who didn't do competitive content in WoW, I haven't had a problem with combat in FFXIV. My DRG at 60 feels fluid enough for my tastes as a casual player. Frankly, I haven't played many MMOs where I found combat to be noticeable, early ESO is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    IMHO, FFXIV is pretty good, but It's UI and player experience are a little lack luster, the world is also uglier and the zones are not captivating.
    Maybe it's a matter of preference, but I disagree the zones are uglier. Captivating (at least my interpretation of it), I think the problem is as you said, the world is rather pointless if you're only doing the MSQ. Azeroth (world not titan) was always the main character of WoW with most zones having a deep history that's managed to be chronicled through the ages. I haven't found that to be the case in FFXIV. Calamaties seem to be the lore reason, not much has survived over the millennia and what has are largely mysteries. There's no sense of going somewhere and thinking "this is where [important event] happened", it's more like, "What are those ruins over there? No one knows? Okay, great."

As someone who doesn't like using addons, I love the customizable UI in FFXIV. The ARR experience leaves much to be desired though, agreed.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It's yes and no.

To this day, I don't see how anyone can say WoW's combat is fluid. The last time I did a mythic raid was Legion but I still did plenty of combat in BfA. The combat of FFXIV just feels more rewarding because I'm not standing in place and pushing the same 2-3 buttons over and over. Positioning matters and standing still can often get you killed in FFXIV. The combat just feels more alive in FFXIV than it ever did in WoW, in my eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I think you underestimate how much influence the game design has on players. FF is not a super competitive game nor does it have systems design to force you to do activities.
    I think you will find the same people pretty tame on FF.

That and the fact that there are consequences for your actions in FF.
    Yeah a lot of people don't realize how swift SE is with the ban hammer when it comes to trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    To this day, I don't see how anyone can say WoW's combat is fluid. The last time I did a mythic raid was Legion but I still did plenty of combat in BfA. The combat of FFXIV just feels more rewarding because I'm not standing in place and pushing the same 2-3 buttons over and over. Positioning matters and standing still can often get you killed in FFXIV. The combat just feels more alive in FFXIV than it ever did in WoW, in my eyes.
    It really is. What people seem to miss is that WoW has a GCD on nearly every ability in the game (aside from some long cooldown buffs). While in FF14, only your damage combo abilities trigger a GCD. You can use pretty much every one of your stuns, interrupts, defense, buffs, sprint, other utilities, etc. without triggering a GCD, plus some off GCD damage attacks too. Moreover, WoW usually has 4 out of 5 rotational abilities on each class that have short cooldowns on them on top of the GCD (3 second, 5 second, 15 sec, etc.), while FF14 just has the GCD for every rotation ability. Rotations in FF14 are built by comboing attacks together, like warriors, or using them in alternating patterns, like black mages.

All of this adds up to combat actually feeling faster in FF14 than WoW, because in WoW you are waiting for more GCDs on more abilities (even if they are shorter) and waiting for short cooldown rotation abilities to come off cooldown. Not to mention the amount of movement and dodging telegraphs required for even melee classes in FF14, making it all very active all the time. Combat feels energetic in FF14 and not sluggish like WoW.
    Last edited by FossilFree; 2021-08-21 at 09:19 AM.

It really is. What people seem to miss is that WoW has a GCD on nearly every ability in the game (aside from some long cooldown buffs). While in FF14, only your damage combo abilities trigger a GCD. You can use pretty much every one of your stuns, interrupts, defense, buffs, sprint, other utilities, etc. without triggering a GCD, plus some off GCD damage attacks too. Moreover, WoW usually has 4 out of 5 rotational abilities on each class that have short cooldowns on them on top of the GCD (3 second, 5 second, 15 sec, etc.), while FF14 just has the GCD for every rotation ability. Rotations in FF14 are built by comboing attacks together, like warriors, or using them in alternating patterns, like black mages.

All of this adds up to combat actually feeling faster in FF14 than WoW, because in WoW you are waiting for more GCDs on more abilities (even if they are shorter) and waiting for short cooldown rotation abilities to come off cooldown. Not to mention the amount of movement and dodging telegraphs required for even melee classes in FF14, making it all very active all the time. Combat feels energetic in FF14 and not sluggish like WoW.
    Fast doesn't equal good either. Let's say you have a 1 second GCD in your game but only a single ability. It would be faster than both WoW and FFXIV but boring as hell and not at all engaging. Not to talk about injuries to your hands over time.

WoW is more towards that, some classes are very brain dead and spammy, others are really good primarily the casters.
    FFXIV jobs are all engaging. Some are badly designed sure but they're never boring.

Fast doesn't equal good either. Let's say you have a 1 second GCD in your game but only a single ability. It would be faster than both WoW and FFXIV but boring as hell and not at all engaging. Not to talk about injuries to your hands over time.

WoW is more towards that, some classes are very brain dead and spammy, others are really good primarily the casters.
    FFXIV jobs are all engaging. Some are badly designed sure but they're never boring.
    That's true. Another thing to consider is how a 2.5 sec GCD allows longer, more elaborate animations to play in full, which makes combat more visually pleasing and adds a satisfying impact to how an ability feels to use.

Exactly. I actually feel like I'm participating in combat instead of just being a turret that occasionally shifts once in a blue moon outside of most raid encounters(and a very small few dungeon mechanics.)

Moreover, WoW usually has 4 out of 5 rotational abilities on each class that have short cooldowns on them on top of the GCD (3 second, 5 second, 15 sec, etc.), while FF14 just has the GCD for every rotation ability.
    People are forgetting about haste too. As a ret pally, you will be sitting there auto-attacking waiting for abilities to come off of cooldown even at max level until you reach a certain threshold of haste, which was a pain for me since SL quest rewards offered almost exclusively versatility gear.

nothing. thats why i deinstalled the game after 2 hours

Speaking of WoW refugees. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    the only superior thing is that one character is able to play all jobs/classes. I also like the little social things everything else is just not good at all.
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire