Poll: Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Axaron View Post
    Kagthul it sucks for him but he's right: 7th gen intel is not currently on the supported processor list for Windows 11, which currently only supports 8th gen Intel processors or later. Unless this changes, he cannot upgrade. His motherboard is using LGA 1151 which doesn't even support above gen 7. There's some speculation about this changing.

Fortunately there is no rush, in fact, for the sake of security the average user should wait a couple years so the biggest security backdoors have been found and bandaged.

For reference it's been over six years since the release of Windows 10.

The currently supported Intel processors are linked below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
    While this is technicly true, you can install windows 11 on way more processor than the list show. There is some workarounds, sometime there is some work to do, but its possible to install it on old hardware, without tpm, secure boot, even very old proc (I saw a video for an install on an athlon from early 2000). That an extreme case, there is probably instabilitys issues here, but im pretty sure you can install it without any problem if there is only one generation difference with the official list. Its not for everyone, but its definitively possible.

We also can't be sure what the official list will be on release, just found this post from last month "As we release to Windows Insiders and partner with our OEMs, we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles" so doesn't seems impossible in the near future, with the normal upgrade tool.
    Last edited by Thorcall; 2021-08-22 at 03:14 AM.

Is there a test build running Core 7th gen intel procs? As of when I played with this last it cannot be installed. What workarounds are you talking about? Without official support there's a huge amount of security risks.
    Last edited by Axaron; 2021-08-22 at 03:09 AM.
    "Today and forever I am your better, Arthas." - Illidan Stormrage

Well if it goes anything like 10, it will just offer the upgrade for a while until it gets tired if me saying no, then update itself without my input and I will log on and notice I suddenly have 11, whether I wanted it or not.

I didn't researched it a lot but the workarounds I saw where editing a registry key on the iso or replacing some files with ones from the w10 iso to trick the installer, there is probably more. Seems pretty safe to do. They could patch that, but there is probably other ways. Obviously, I don't recommand downloading a random modified iso on the net.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Kagthul

Was just wondering, isn't the easiest way the check if you're Windows PC has TPM turned on to do the following: Windows Key + R, type "tpm.msc" and enter, then it brings up the TPM Management window which just tells you if TPM is turned on or not.

If not, go into your BIOS and check if TPM is turned on or TPM is set to fTPM (Firmware TPM) or turn on PTT.

I'm genuinely asking because on my laptop, TPM 2.0 was already on. On my main desktop it wasn't, went into BIOS and had to switch from Discrete TPM to Firmware TPM (which I'm confused about because according to ASUS I should have had to turn on PTT as it's a motherboard for Intel CPUs, see my link below). On my spare "fuck around with stuff" PC I had to enable PTT in the BIOS.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046215/

Edit: Well bugger, just realised while my laptop supports TPM 2.0, the CPU isn't actually in the list of supported CPU's (i7-7700HQ). Bit confused now if I'll be able to install Windows 11 on it >_<
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-08-22 at 03:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    i cant lmao. i need to upgrade my rig in order to do it. my CPU does not make the cut

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

I guess I'll do it eventually, not anytime soon, tho.

I wont go around messing with the stuff like which OS I have on my computer. This one has windows 10. I have no intention to take risk something breaks or doesn't function properly afterwards.

Just like this one, I'll use what I have on the computer when I get it. So I would guess in a few years when I upgrade to completely new pc, it will have windows 11. By then minor hiccups and other problems should be gone.

Then again, I did skip windows 8. I used windows 7 until I got this pc with 10 on it. Chances are high that I'll be getting 11, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Yes, if the issue was just TPM 2.0, I think some motherboards starting in 2015 or 16 were built with TPM 2.0 modules in them (but off by default). The issue is the processors themselves aren't being supported.
    You don’t even the hardware module, just fTPM.

My platform is not supported anyway, since I am using a z87 and an i7 4770k still.

Oh, and I don't want to leave Win 8.1. I have not been a fan of Win 10 thus far, but Win 8.1 is all right. I have a free month in November, so I think I'm going to pick learning Linux back up then.
    &nbsp;

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    It is not the smartest to not use the latest windows, better support & better features in current ones. the only windows I don't like is Windows ME/millenium because of its blue screens/crashes. 1 usb dongle I had didn't work with Vista but sometimes you gotta live with the times. 99% of opinions on Windows versions is like "no mommy I don't want the veggies".

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I wont go around messing with the stuff like which OS I have on my computer. This one has windows 10. I have no intention to take risk something breaks or doesn't function properly afterwards.

Fortunately there is no rush, in fact, for the sake of security the average user should wait a couple years so the biggest security backdoors have been found and bandaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I will, eventually.

I usually wait a couple of years anyway, no rush, and have no interest in the growing pains of a new OS.
    The number of people in this thread who dont understand that this isn't a "New OS" is fucking STAGGERING.

Remember that as little as seven months ago Microsoft was still saying "Windows 10 is the last Windows"? This upgrade was planned further back than that. Back then, it was just going to be "Windows 10, Fall 2021 Feature Update".

Its not a new OS. Its just Windows 10, Build WHATEVERTHEFUCK, only theyre calling it 11 because they realized that they couldnt get people energized or market shit around "Windows 10 Fall 2021 Feature Update!" like they could around "WINDOWS ELEVEN!"

There aren't going to be "Growing pains" - not any more than there have been for any given Win 10 feature update, because unlike the jumps from XP > (Vista)7, and from 7 > (8)10, there is no major overhaul or swapping of underpinings. Just like 7 wasn't really a new OS compared to Vista (it was literally just Vista SP3 internally for months until they realized they had to ditch the Vista name), 11 isn't really a new OS from 10. Its just marketing.

If Microsoft had stuck to their Apple-like "plan" to just offer bi-yearly upgrades ("Feature Updates"/"Creators Update") to Windows 10, then this EXACT SAME UX change would have just launched as a feature update to 10.

Instead, they realized they needed to build hype and get people "interested" in Windows/talking about Windows/feeling that Windows is innovating again.

So, Windows 11.

But, FFS, it is not some new, from the ground up OS. Its just the latest Win 10 Feature Update renamed to 11, and they are using hardware cutoffs to try to drive PC sales (and, therefore, sales of OEM copies of Windows to builders/OEMs, and new licenses for their various products and subscription services) - because there is no software reason for the cutoff, as evidenced by MANY people getting it to install seamlessly and without issue on 10 year old machines. (Well, and they are trying to force people to move to newer, more secure hardware that has built in mitigation for Spectre and Meltdown, et al, which saves them tens of millions/year on support).

For reference it's been over six years since the release of Windows 10, and Windows 10 will be supported until you're old.
    1 - im already old and.....
    2 - its October 2025, meng. Thats the EOL date for Win 10. Thats 4 years from now. So, its definitely not going to be supported "until im old".

Quote Originally Posted by Thorcall View Post
    I didn't researched it a lot but the workarounds I saw where editing a registry key on the iso or replacing some files with ones from the w10 iso to trick the installer, there is probably more. Seems pretty safe to do. They could patch that, but there is probably other ways. Obviously, I don't recommand downloading a random modified iso on the net.
    LTT did it, and all you have to do is replace the actual install files on a W10 installer with the W11 install files. Like it was literally just.. drag this compressed file to replace that older compressed file on the InstallESD thumb drive, and done.

The installer itself (what is running when you boot from the USB drive) can still install the W11 files, and since it is from the W10 installer, it doesn't try to tell you it cant install because its running a compatibility check from Win10.

They got it running with zero issues all the way back i want to say 4th gen (4770K IIRC).

... again..

because its just Windows 10 with a shiny new interface and called Windows 11 for marketing.

For shiggles, i will see if i can get it running on my HTPC (which shouldn't make the cutoff with a Zen 1 APU in it).

15+ Year Old Account
    Been running it since Insider release and its beter then W10.
    Games run smoother, everything is faster, looks slick af.
    Love it.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Field Marshal Phyrexia-KulTiras's Avatar
    3+ Year Old Account
    The question is not if you'll upgrade, but when.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Been running it since Insider release and its beter then W10.
    Games run smoother, everything is faster, looks slick af.
    Love it.
    What are your hardware specs? I'm wondering if I might need to upgrade my own system.

No, Windows 7, never forget. Last classic Windows, not influenced by smartphone crap.

And some articles suggest, that TPM is about turning PC into smartphone even more, i.e. about restricting your freedom and offsetting ownership over your PC from you to other companies even more. So, no. From Windows 7 I will only switch to Linux. There are not so many things, that prevent me from doing it. I know, that this step has it's downsides too. But "My computer belongs to me, not M$/Google/Apple" thing outweights everything else.

You will remember Win7 with tears, when you won't be able to open your Word document on other computer without "Share your document just for 100$/year per computer!" feature, because it will be encrypted by TPM.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-08-22 at 07:02 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Im running Windows 11 now, its a lot faster for gaming than the latest 10 (DirectStorage and AutoHDR)

Theres a nice website where it runs as a preview in your browser btw, https://win11.blueedge.me/

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Umm...7th gen is most definitely on the supported list. If youre using their little utility, it can throw false negatives.

Uhh 7th gen is definitely not on the supported list..8th gen and higher

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    What are your hardware specs? I'm wondering if I might need to upgrade my own system.
    3800XT, 3080rtx, nvme, 16gb ram 3200
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Its always almost a user issue, regardless of platform.
    Maybe true but I am not buying a computer to became a Service myself but to be productive with whatever I do. Unfortunately for most of the time I waste time to repair stuff instead of creating an actual content. This cannot stand. My all friends use Macs in their studios and they are telling me that they had similar problems and they never regretted swapping systems.