Poll: Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Implying you'll have much choice in the matter.

You'll probably just wake up one day and find an automatic update has already upgraded you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Implying you'll have much choice in the matter.

You'll probably just wake up one day and find an automatic update has already upgraded you.
    You do realize you can roll windows back, right..?

And that it doesn't even do the big bi-annual updates automatically .. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    No way. All my games run smooth as butter on Linux (ty Valve and Lutris btw) and my favourite distro has just pumped out a major release
    The funny thing for me that keeps me dual booting isn't games anymore. I can get most of them working well enough. It's frickin' productivity software. Needing to use Microsoft Office and Creative Cloud (instead of Linux equivalents). Literally the only reasons I still need to keep Windows around.

Hell no I won’t upgrade! Windows 11 is the next step in Bill Gates plan to take over the country! Once you download windows 11, it’ll activate the micro coding in the vaccines of anyone in proximity!

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You do realize you can roll windows back, right..?

they were quite aggressive with it last time. had that popup in windows 7 for over a year and i don't think you could do anything about the pre-download hogging your hdd/sdd space without advanced knowledge.

heck even now it pesters me about making a microsoft account regularly and the "no" button isn't always obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    *snip*
    What defines a new OS to you? Windows 10 is essentially Windows 8, Windows 8 was essentially Windows 7. Major kernel adjustments are exceedingly rare. Stop trying Sooooo hard to seem smart, it's exhausting. We get it, Windows 11 is basically a big feature update to 10.
    "Today and forever I am your better, Arthas." - Illidan Stormrage

15+ Year Old Account
    All this talk of Windows 11 is making me want to install the insider beta build on my main PC I know I shouldn't, but damn, me wants it! /gollum

il prolly install it on a newly build pc, the one im currently using will remain win 10 for the foreseeable future, because for gaming the biggest thing about win 11 is the auto HDR and Direct storage, both of which will be implemented in win10 aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    As you can see in my signature, i'm running really old hardware. My mobo does suport a TPM module, but it is 1.2. I've decided to keep W10 at least untill 2024 when suport ends, i'll take a decisition about building an updated rig after that.

The number of people in this thread who dont understand that this isn't a "New OS" is fucking STAGGERING
    I don't know what crawled up your leg, but you should take a deep breath.

Have a good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    they were quite aggressive with it last time. had that popup in windows 7 for over a year and i don't think you could do anything about the pre-download hogging your hdd/sdd space without advanced knowledge.
    That is true, but most modern computers have plenty of storage for it, so I don't mind too much. The popups were annoying though, and my parents are kinda tech illiterate so I had to roll back their computers a couple times for them

heck even now it pesters me about making a microsoft account regularly and the "no" button isn't always obvious.
    I don't get pestered for that and I have a local account as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axaron View Post
    What defines a new OS to you? Windows 10 is essentially Windows 8, Windows 8 was essentially Windows 7. Major kernel adjustments are exceedingly rare. Stop trying Sooooo hard to seem smart, it's exhausting. We get it, Windows 11 is basically a big feature update to 10.
    Windows 10 feels very different from win8 to a user, same as win 8 feeling very different from win7, even if under the hood they're very similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I'll upgrade when windows 10 gets RIP'd - or if W11 is really stable and secure - but the Windows 8 ALPHA is literally what made me make the move to the job I have today lol

For anyone in tech support, if you supported windows users when windows 8 released - you'll know exactly what I mean. Anyway - I hope W11 is super good though because I don't mind moving over to it IF its good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Hell no I won’t upgrade! Windows 11 is the next step in Bill Gates plan to take over the country! Once you download windows 11, it’ll activate the micro coding in the vaccines of anyone in proximity!
    This right here Officer! the anti vaxxers ARE HERE (I know we are kidding btw, one love!)

I'm missing the "If it's good, sure, why not?" option.

But yes, I will, assuming it's better than 10 for gaming, which is the only thing I do on Windows..
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Thanks for the laugh!

It sure does.

I also logged in one day and found myself with windows 10 with no input from myself. No, this is not a joke. I was avoiding it purely because of bandwidth issues. I should really send MS the bill.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    No, Windows 7, never forget. Last classic Windows, not influenced by smartphone crap.

And some articles suggest, that TPM is about turning PC into smartphone even more, i.e. about restricting your freedom and offsetting ownership over your PC from you to other companies even more. So, no. From Windows 7 I will only switch to Linux. There are not so many things, that prevent me from doing it. I know, that this step has it's downsides too. But "My computer belongs to me, not M$/Google/Apple" thing outweights everything else.

You will remember Win7 with tears, when you won't be able to open your Word document on other computer without "Share your document just for 100$/year per computer!" feature, because it will be encrypted by TPM.
    I have never seen so much conspiracy theory drivel distilled into so clear a form of mental handicap as this.

- - - Updated - - -

Large underlying code and Kernel changes, which happened between XP > Vista/7 and 7 > 8/10.

The backhanded ad hominem because youre butt hurt about being a luddite is funny, though.

And if people “got it”, the thread wouldnt be full of people acting like its some major overhaul that theyll have to wait out years of problems and bugs.

When, like, people are already using it and it works fine. Right now today.

But thanks for posting your drivel so you could try to appear self important or in some way knowledgeable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I'll upgrade when windows 10 gets RIP'd - or if W11 is really stable and secure
    Cool. Its already stable. And just as secure as Win 10, since it is.. you know, Win 10. With a new UX.

- but the Windows 8 ALPHA is literally what made me make the move to the job I have today lol

For anyone in tech support, if you supported windows users when windows 8 released - you'll know exactly what I mean. Anyway - I hope W11 is super good though because I don't mind moving over to it IF its good.
    Windows 8 was a major update to the core OS/kernel. It was not like the Vista > 7 transition (where 7 was just a rename of SP3 for Vista to get away from the bad press) where basically nothing changed except what they called it.

Windows 11 is to Windows 10 what 7 was to Vista. Its just a rename, though it does come with a shiny new UX (that you may or may not like).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Thanks for the laugh!

It sure does.

I also logged in one day and found myself with windows 10 with no input from myself. No, this is not a joke. I was avoiding it purely because of bandwidth issues. I should really send MS the bill.
    Your failure to click two dialogue boxes and prevent it aren’t Microsoft’s fault.

You can disable Windows from EVER updating with a simple registry edit and/or policy.

But, hey, cool story bro.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-08-22 at 09:01 PM.

I have never seen so much conspiracy theory drivel distilled into so clear a form of mental handicap as this.

- - - Updated - - -

The backhanded ad hominem because youre butt hurt about being a luddite is funny, though.

And if people “got it”, the thread wouldnt be full of people acting like its some major overhaul that theyll have to wait out years of problems and bugs.

But thanks for posting your drivel so you could try to appear self important or in some way knowledgeable.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool. Its already stable. And just as secure as Win 10, since it is.. you know, Win 10. With a new UX.

- - - Updated - - -

Your failure to click to dialogue boxes and prevent it aren’t Microsoft’s fault.

But, hey, cool story bro.
    What is wrong with you, dude?
    Last edited by Axaron; 2021-08-22 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    As you can see in my signature, i'm running really old hardware. My mobo does suport a TPM module, but it is 1.2. I've decided to keep W10 at least untill 2024 when suport ends, i'll take a decisition about building an updated rig after that.
    Id think youd have serious problems running… well, anything other than a browser on that hardware well before 2024.

- - - Updated - - -

What is wrong with you, dude?
    What a compelling and well thought out counter-argum…. Oh, wait.

No.

Attempt at ad-hominem.

Still nothing intelligent or relevant to add.

Cool.

The person with something wrong? You.

You can be informative without being rude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id think youd have serious problems running… well, anything other than a browser on that hardware well before 2024.
    ♡ looking good so far, don't think my browser will consume all my resources until then... Internet surfing is 90% of the use of my computer... I sometimes play fortnite.♡

You can be informative without being rude.
    Rather hard to do these days since people are so apt to bury beliefs/ideas into their sense of self. And any affront to those beliefs/ideas leads individuals to double down and resort more to tribalism.

Basically you need to hold intervention-style talks in order to inform anyone about anything.

Also good luck with revising old out of date info with people. Most just don’t care to go through that process, seen that plenty enough with the WoW community.