Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Because people don't usually want to kill themselves? What kind of question is this.
    Is this a usual situation? Suicide is entirely reasonable. He's willing to let himself be a weapon for evil to do what? Have free thoughts sometimes? He'll damn his people and all his allies because he doesn't fancy dying?

Honestly its just another plot hole. Like with everything, the writers didn't think about it.

What they could do however is have him try, but then reveal that while he's not dominated at every moment, he is watched at every moment, and have Zovaal just dominate him if he tried. But since they haven't established that, and seemingly let him act on his own without oversight, it just creates another hole in the plot.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    3) Sylvanas offing herself at Icecrown not withstanding, suicide seems to be a rare occurrence in video-games. If it was to be part of a game's narrative, it should be handled with care; not to avoid offending anyone, but to have it not appear like a last-minute attempt at telling the story.
    Just a few notes.

Just in WoW alone we have a few suicides like that dude in the Worgen starting zone that throws himself off a cliff only to be ressurected as undead later on.

Imo it's often portrayed by a villain doing it to avoid some fate they consider worse than living. You rarely see main characters do it as you say.

For the player there are even items that help killing yourself if you ever feel the need to do so but it doesn't really count since we don't have permadeath.

Quote Originally Posted by Relo View Post
    Have been reading mmo-c for a while, but this is the question which made me register here.

As the final chapter of campaign showed us, the Jailer's control over Anduin is not permanent, meaning he can act independently at least sometimes. Why didn't he commit suicude then? That way he wouldn't have had to protect the Jailer completing the ritual in Oribos which we got to see during Sylvanas fight, making it much easier to defeat/interrupt him. Is this an oversight?

P.S. I'm sorry for any typos and grammar mistakes, as English is not my mother tongue.
    Because we condemn such content

Because even when life is tough, life is cruel and life is keeping you down, life also give hope, joy and a will to survive.

Except the movie Life. It ignores the three last ones and crushes all hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    As has been pointed out previously, committing suicide would be rather pointless given that it would simply see his soul returned to the Maw and his current controller is an entity with control over death. And that's if even could commit perform the act given the Jailer's complete override on his will - as soon as his life began to fade the Jailer could likely arrest the process with a proverbial wave of his hand. Basically put, Anduin is stuck until an external force or factor frees him.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Have been reading mmo-c for a while, but this is the question which made me register here.

As the final chapter of campaign showed us, the Jailer's control over Anduin is not permanent, meaning he can act independently at least sometimes. Why didn't he commit suicude then? That way he wouldn't have had to protect the Jailer completing the ritual in Oribos which we got to see during Sylvanas fight, making it much easier to defeat/interrupt him. Is this an oversight?

P.S. I'm sorry for any typos and grammar mistakes, as English is not my mother tongue.
    because he would end up still there being controlled with his physical body and spirit being separated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Couldn't he just commit suicide as a soul after his body dies, too?

We've seen some souls like Wisps or Garrosh explode on death, so maybe with enough willpower a soul can detonate forcibly even.

But even if Anduin didn't have the will to detonate his own soul, he could still use The Light and Void as weapons to destroy his own soul.

And barring even that, there's a chance he could try and figure out how to shape or wield his anima into a weapon or magic to destroy itself.

There are a number of ways Anduin could have tried to kill himself if he wanted to, I think. With so many options I think the answer may be that he was actively choosing not to.
    Difficult to say, but if Anduin can't will himself to do so due to Domination then the matter is somewhat moot. I'd agree he's probably holding out for aid based on his surreptitious actions at the close of the 9.1 campaign, but that's probably the only real option he has for the time being.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

You mean make the WoW writers deal with an actual complex subject and the complex feelings that come along with that for the other characters. They can't even get Sylvanas right for the past 6 years, you expect them to tackle suicide and not turn it into a complete shit show?

10+ Year Old Account

Being alive, he'd just end up back in the Maw in the Jailer's loving care, assuming Zovaal doesn't just reanimate him on the spot. Anduin's a lot of things under the current writers but he's not dumb enough to miss that very basic truth. Kid's dense, but he's not that dense. There's also a standard cliche/trope for mind-controlled heroes where even in their lucid moments they're prevented from killing themselves to break the villain's hold, because rule of drama.

- - - Updated - - -

We've seen some souls like Wisps or Garrosh explode on death, so maybe with enough willpower a soul can detonate forcibly even.
    Between the Revendreth short and Garrosh's cutscene, the implication is that the Venthyr aristocracy drained too much off him too fast (to circumvent the anima shortage while still making good on Denathrius's obligations to his alliance with the Jailer), and he was basically running on fumes, long past the point he should have been consigned to the Maw; it'd take a lot of work for Anduin to be that drained and fractured.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Couldn't he just commit suicide as a soul after his body dies, too?

But even if Anduin didn't have the will to detonate his own soul, he could still use The Light and Void as weapons to destroy his own soul.

And barring even that, there's a chance he could try and figure out how to shape or wield his anima into a weapon or magic to destroy itself.

There are a number of ways Anduin could have tried to kill himself if he wanted to, I think. With so many options I think the answer may be that he was actively choosing not to.
    Garrosh probably was a special case. Dormazin even said that his Rage alone could power the soul forges for aeons, which probably means that what turned both Dormazin and Garrosh into ash was that rage exploding. Wisps also are a very different thing from a normal soul. If it was simple for a soul to suicide then the Maw would be much much emptier.

I assume Anduins "plan" is to learn what he can about the Jailers powers and goals to use it against him when the time is right (and he got his free will back), after all what would his death/end of his existance accomplish at the moment?
    The Jailer needed him to get the Seal in Bastion, after that he is just another Mawsworn flunky, probably a useful one, but not more so then Kel'thuzad and Sylvanas let alone Denathrius and we have seen how easily he discarded those when they ceased to be useful. It's not like he needs Anduin for anything anymore now that he has his power back, loosing him wouldn't impact his goals at all. It would probably not even slow him down.

Hence I think that Anduin suiciding would be pointless and maybe even selfish. He would pervent his own corruption and stop his body from commiting more crimes, which would make HIM feel better, but it would not help in stopping the Jailer. Trying to get intel and preparing for the moment he CAN actually stab Zovall in the back seems more useful to the cause, even if he will be forced to attack his friends for a time. He knows better then anyone that people like Jaina and Thrall aren't that easily killed even if he is ordered to attack them.

The question is just how he will be freed in the end. There was foreshadowing of Anduins void power taking hold in Shadow's Rising so it isn't too absurd to assume that the Void Lord might free him from the Domination Magic, but that doesn't mean that he will be free afterwards. The Light might do it too, but it seems woefully weak compared to Zovaal. It couldn't even hold up to the Jailers power when he was weakened.
    There is also the chance that the Primus knows a way to break him free, since he was the master of Domination Magic, able to wield it strong enough to bind even a weakened Zovaal. It might simply be a matter of destroying Kingsmourne and the armor that Anduin is in unless, much like with Zovaal himself, the runes have been cut into his flesh under the armor.

Anduin yeeting himself off a cliff would be the worst storytelling of all time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Anduin yeeting himself off a cliff would be the worst storytelling of all time.
    Indeed, even if only because being chucked off a cliff seems to be a particularly ineffective way to kill someone in the SL, if Baine is any hint

But more OT, I like the hints at Andy being perhaps too coward for offing himself - and that's a good thing. It finally gives an actual flaw to a character that was in desperate need of (an actual) one. Of course, they can eventually pull a 'holy bones' BS, resetting whatever character development Andy may have - but in principle, it's a good move.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

So, he's gonna commit suicide to run away from a 'God of Death'?

5+ Year Old Account
    Its big brain move

Anduin:"If he gonna use me and my body, it would be better if i were undead with some percs, anyway later i can playoff redeem arc as if been forced to do this all"

Anduin:"Anyway all these smelly fans compare me to Arthas, so i can become one for all i care, they gonna love me MORE"
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

It's just a phase dad. This is who i am!! Emo 4 life

Committing suicide is commitment to undeath. Arthas did it in icecrown and I think your question reflects to say exactly who anduin is as opposition

Yep - this is oversight #1,906 in the genius writing this is Blizzard.

He was expecting us to save him, but we cancelled our subscriptions because the game sucks now, and he was left there waiting for a rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    Yep - this is oversight #1,906 in the genius writing this is Blizzard.
    I really hope this is sarcasm.

If it isn't; why would Anduin ever think of killing himself while being controlled by a being that can control the dead? That would literally make things worse.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Maybe because he thinks he can change Sylvanas. Since the moment he was imprisoned he was slowly and consistently challenging her which led to the "I will never serve" scene later. He is a priest after all, he has very strong faith and influence