Poll: Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Not even sure why it exists?

Feels like they are trying to control how i use the OS too much (very mac/apple6 like).
    Only if you believe that Windows 10 already does this, since it behaves -exactly- like Win 10

I ran the test and everything checks out except the secure boot thing.
    Not sure what's up with that since I have the TPM.

Once you get used to 10, I think it's nice and you can customize it more than people seem to know.
    I've even setup things like registry hacks for system wide fonts and for removing unused folders like the 3D one.
    So yea I'll get it once it comes out and I figure out the secure boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post

Once you get used to 10, I think it's nice and you can customize it more than people seem to know.
    I've even setup things like registry hacks for system wide fonts and for removing unused folders like the 3D one.
    The test can throw false negatives. Try the utility i linked a few pages ago.

I'm not sure when I'll go to 11 but I'm sure at some point I'll be forced to just like 10 thanks to TurboTax.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post

You also need to enable secure boot, that just an option that you have to enable on the bios. You can probably find a tutorial for your motherboard on google.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    The test can throw false negatives. Try the utility i linked a few pages ago.
    That's the one yea. I checked the bios but didn't see anything about it. Probs missing whatever it's called there?
    Using Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming z370 & i7 9700k

Eventually yes, when they lock new schedulers and performance boosts behind it, but as W10 already supports prefered cores and such.. I'll stick to 10 until such thing happens. Granted if they are for real and cut all the legacy stuff away from Windows 11, it should be quite a bit better.

We've got 4 years till EoL, or at least support for W10. Weird part is that they are also cutting support for Enterprise versions at the same time, pretty much forcing the change sooner or later.

Not even sure why it exists?

Feels like they are trying to control how i use the OS too much (very mac/apple6 like).
    Every time I read something like this, the person in question fails to mention in what way it's 'controlled'.

Care to explain? Or is it just one of those "everyone on 9gag is saying it, so I'll do that too"?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Every time I read something like this, the person in question fails to mention in what way it's 'controlled'.

Care to explain? Or is it just one of those "everyone on 9gag is saying it, so I'll do that too"?

Moved the taskbar elements to the middle of the screen despite people being used to and accustomed to the bottom left,
    Making things more tile like despite 8.# being a huge failure.
    Removing advanced elements from control panel so you have to go searching for their windows xp-7 equivalent either via a random exe in system32,
    Making all the UI "user friendly" and ipad/phone like by removing text, descriptions and useful information.
    Linking things to their Microsoft store for no other benefit than trying to advertise rubbish.
    Forcing their default apps upon you and making it more and more difficult to remove them by default.

All they need is the "if you don't upgrade to windows 11, every 6months we will forcibly reduce the performance of windows 10 to encourage you to move on"

Windows 10 have slowly been removing all the Windows 7 elements people wanted to keep in favour of the windows 10 version to ease the transition, this just looks like another step in that direction. Also from what i've seen nothing implemented so far couldn't have been just worked into a windows 10 feature update.

The system requirements are a nice change, though it seriously screws over a lot of people/ companies that happily plod along with 10+ year old hardware (I've spent the past couple of years convincing my department to upgrade from 7 to 10 which we only just completed before covid started. If the restriction is it needs to be semi decent then they are going to be on windows 10 forever.
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2021-08-24 at 07:21 AM.

Moved the taskbar elements to the middle of the screen despite people being used to and accustomed to the bottom left,
    Making things more tile like despite 8.# being a huge failure.
    Removing advanced elements from control panel so you have to go searching for their windows xp-7 equivalent either via a random exe in system32,
    Making all the UI "user friendly" and ipad/phone like by removing text, descriptions and useful information.
    Linking things to their Microsoft store for no other benefit than trying to advertise rubbish.
    Forcing their default apps upon you and making it more and more difficult to remove them by default.

All they need is the "if you don't upgrade to windows 11, every 6months we will forcibly reduce the performance of windows 10 to encourage you to move on"

Windows 10 have slowly been removing all the Windows 7 elements people wanted to keep in favour of the windows 10 version to ease the transition, this just looks like another step in that direction. Also from what i've seen nothing implemented so far couldn't have been just worked into a windows 10 feature update.

The system requirements are a nice change, though it seriously screws over a lot of people/ companies that happily plod along with 10+ year old hardware (I've spent the past couple of years convincing my department to upgrade from 7 to 10 which we only just completed before covid started. If the restriction is it needs to be semi decent then they are going to be on windows 10 forever.
    You keep saying "people want...". What people? The hand-full of enthusiasts that think they need these 'advanced' features and like to tinker with the OS? Those people aren't important, I'm afraid. Most users actually want a simple, clear UI because they use the OS as a 'portal' to boot up programs they use, which in all fairness, is exactly what Windows should be.

System administrators will have an administrative interface where they can customise everything to their heart's desire, as they do now.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-08-24 at 12:34 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    Will you upgrade to Windows 11?
    But I already upgraded, to Linux

Moved the taskbar elements to the middle of the screen despite people being used to and accustomed to the bottom left
    And you can still move it back to left if that's what you prefer.

Upgraded to 10 some time last year because some game wouldnt run unless i had win 10. So prolly gonna wait with 11 until i cannot run something that i want, provided i update my hardware, 4790k and 980 work fine for now.

10 is some badly optimized trash, i hope 11 will be better

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    But I already upgraded, to Linux
    Hey, if you can do what you need to do in Linux, why not! The moment that cloud gaming meets my standards (because I doubt Apple will ever make game pcs), I'll completely ditch X86 and shift to Apple for gaming as well.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You mean like Win11?
    Something better than Windows 11.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    You keep saying "people want...". What people? The hand-full of enthusiasts that think they need these 'advanced' features and like to tinker with the OS? Those people aren't important, I'm afraid. Most users actually want a simple, clear UI because they use the OS as a 'portal' to boot up programs they use, which in all fairness, is exactly what Windows should be.

System administrators will have an administrative interface where they can customise everything to their heart's desire, as they do now.
    i do want a simple clear UI.

but that's not what they give me.

when i press my start menu theres like 6 ads for their store, netflix and productivity software (considered getting a third party program for it but ended up just using more shortcuts on desktop again). one of my most used features, volume mixer, requires more clicks to get to than in win7. wallpaper management on multiple displays is definitely not what iwould call simple or clear, i use a 3rd party program for that. still use a 3rd party media player. use their old image viewer instead of the new one cause it's simpler. %appdata%, another highly used feature is also hidden away for some reason. i don't know how to get to diskmanager through the config screen even though that's a feature my parents had to use once. msconfig actually got improved in win10 but is also hidden away, though i admit i haven't had to use that to stop unwanted crap running at boot for many years now.

for every good "simple and clean" improvement they do, there is another one that tries to do that but actually does the opposite.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-08-24 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    i do want a simple clear UI.

but that's not what they give me.

when i press my start menu theres like 6 ads for their store, netflix and productivity software (considered getting a third party program for it but ended up just using more shortcuts on desktop again). one of my most used features, volume mixer, requires more clicks to get to than in win7. wallpaper management on multiple displays is definitely not what iwould call simple or clear, i use a 3rd party program for that. still use a 3rd party media player. use their old image viewer instead of the new one cause it's simpler. %appdata%, another highly used feature is also hidden away for some reason. i don't know how to get to diskmanager through the config screen even though that's a feature my parents had to use once. msconfig actually got improved in win10 but is also hidden away, though i admit i haven't had to use that to stop unwanted crap running at boot for many years now.

for every good "simple and clean" improvement they do, there is another one that tries to do that but actually does the opposite.
    Oh don't get me wrong, Windows is in fact shit, but it's not limited to 11; that's why I said it's what Windows should be and why I use MacOs for everything but gaming.

If there was an OS that did nothing but start games, I'd use it.

If some day I can buy a GPU at a normal price so I can replace my computer, sure. But that day is not at all in sight…

I'll switch as soon as it's "stable", most likely.
    I'll wait for others to beta-test and until my IT friends tell me it's cool and good now.