Page 52 of 98 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    arraigned by the Taliban, the Afghan government, and the Trump administration.
    The bolded were never a part of the talks, they were between the Taliban and Trump. If they were, things might not have been such a mess. But the Taliban had no agreement with the Afghan government that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The bolded were never a part of the talks, they were between the Taliban and Trump. If they were, things might not have been such a mess. But the Taliban had no agreement with the Afghan government that I'm aware of.
    oh. well shame on me for thinking Trump had any sort of forethought on that front. master of negotiations strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    oh. well shame on me for thinking Trump had any sort of forethought on that front. master of negotiations strikes again.
    The guy with a history of bad deals made another bad deal, shocker.

Though that doesn't free Biden from blame for cocking this up, but he wasn't exactly handed a clean exit to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I mean, not like he has much choice. The bearded bois hold all the cards and just ignoring them is a big risk that could end up a disaster.

Maybe there still will be some kind of deal cut out, after all CIA chief did not go over there to just drink tea with some terrorists.
    Sad that it takes the Director of the CIA to work that kind of deal (if any comes of it).

The Biden Administration should have been more pro-active if they knew this exit date would be problematic.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You made me chuckle. Some nice copium there.

Reality is you and plenty other bleeding hearts know full well what will happen next day to the populace there, but hey lets put the concerned "occupying foreign nation" face to try and salvage whatever is left of our fake pretenses about human rights and what not.

Morals and ideals only seem to be in effect when it suits, as I said. Population supports it not out of concern for the "occupied" nation, but because they foot the bill and bury their dead soldiers who died for hell knows what thousands miles away for 2 decades now.
    Like you guys actually cared about the populace there......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Biden's CIA chief apparently met with the Taliban, most likely to discuss fleeing/surrender terms.

Probably a necessity of the devolving situation, but, can't say I'm a fan. They're terrorists.
    Our founding fathers were "terrorists"
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Like you guys actually cared about the populace there......
    I mean... I didn't and never pretended to.

I'm not a fair weather woke poster.

"Yeaahhh it's all the brown people fault! Totally not our shitty planning, failure to understand just about anything and execution. How dare these aboriginals not just run and die for nothing while we pack up and dump them, we gave them so many dollars wtf"

Color in WH changed, reasoning remained.
    We gave them 20 years to prepare, which included training, and equipment. They folded as soon the Taliban rolled up in their pickup trucks, despite having better training, equipment, and numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BronzeCondor View Post
    China is the biggest threat to the entire world right now. This is simply part of the Chess Game.
    How many bases does china have in foreign nations?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

How many debt traps does china have in foreign nations?
    A lot, Debt Trap Diplomacy is cleaner than using military force.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    We gave them 20 years to prepare, which included training, and equipment. They folded as soon the Taliban rolled up in their pickup trucks, despite having better training, equipment, and numbers.
    Who's "them"? The contractors or corrupt puppet leaders and generals with their shadow army?

I find it funny to hear that US task was never nation building and then have people here pretend as if actual genuine nation building happened. You kind of got to decide, it's not one day "no" and another day "yes".

You paid off some warlords, propped up 5% of the country, winged it as you went and then you're shocked 95% of the country does not even bother to fire a single shot to cover your retreat.

You put some puppets in the key positions and you're flabbergasted they fall to the ground the moment you cut strings?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean... I didn't and never pretended to.

I'm not a fair weather woke poster.
    So how do you figure concern trolling is a gotcha?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeCondor View Post
    A lot, Debt Trap Diplomacy is cleaner than using military force.
    Can't answer the actual question?

You do know changing a persons post and answering a question they never asked is essentially trolling right? Are you that ready to take another vacation?

Who's "them"? The contractors or corrupt puppet leaders and generals with their shadow army?

I find it funny to hear that US task was never nation building and then have people here pretend as if actual genuine nation building happened. You kind of got to decide, it's not one day "no" and another day "yes".

You paid off some warlords, propped up 5% of the country, winged it as you went and then you're shocked 95% of the country does not even bother to fire a single shot to cover your retreat.

You put some puppets in the key positions and you're flabbergasted they fall to the ground the moment you cut strings?
    I mean it sounds like you should be President of the United States or a 4-star General since you knew they were puppets and were going to surrender immediately. Why weren't you on the phone with Biden telling him what his next move should be?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean it sounds like you should be President of the United States or a 4-star General since you knew they were puppets and were going to surrender immediately. Why weren't you on the phone with Biden telling him what his next move should be?
    I mean, you don't really know what the real objectives of said presidents and 4-star generals were, for all I see - it could have been "just drag this shit on and roll with it until it's not my problem anymore".

If so, that's 20 years of success right there.

1. I barely, tangentially paid attention to the news from Afghanistan in the past 10 years and even I, in my near total obliviousness fully expected the Afghan government to roll over and fall apart in weeks. I cannot fathom the level of delusional circle jerk the Pentagon and DC needs to be for them to think otherwise.

2. The Afghan army was a money sink. US defense contractors were making bank off of gear the Afghan army had absolutely no fucking idea how to use. The training was a joke, and their "numbers" were literally made up. Local warlords made up their numbers to pocket funding, and the US government chose to look the other way so they could do press releases claiming how awsomesauce the Afghan army they created is.

The total collapse of the Afghan army/government should have been no surprise to anyone, especially after Iraq. The only reason ISIS didn't just fucking walk into Baghdad was because at the last fucking moment the Iranians sent in their militias and Quds dudes and bailed the Iraqi government out.

We didn't give them 20 years of anything beyond drone strikes, wasted money and former warlords suddenly calling themselves "general" and "minister".

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    1. I barely, tangentially paid attention to the news from Afghanistan in the past 10 years and even I, in my near total obliviousness fully expected the Afghan government to roll over and fall apart in weeks. I cannot fathom the level of delusional circle jerk the Pentagon and DC needs to be for them to think otherwise.

2. The Afghan army was a money sink. US defense contractors were making bank off of gear the Afghan army had absolutely no fucking idea how to use. The training was a joke, and their "numbers" were literally made up. Local warlords made up their numbers to pocket funding, and the US government chose to look the other way so they could do press releases claiming how awsomesauce the Afghan army they created is.

The total collapse of the Afghan army/government should have been no surprise to anyone, especially after Iraq. The only reason ISIS didn't just fucking walk into Baghdad was because at the last fucking moment the Iranians sent in their militias and Quds dudes and bailed the Iraqi government out.

We didn't give them 20 years of anything beyond drone strikes, wasted money and former warlords suddenly calling themselves "general" and "minister".
    Okay armchair commander.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-08-24 at 08:42 PM.

Okay armchair commander.
    The Afghanistan papers are a thing you should at least read the summary of them. It tells you what the generals and presidents were saying behind the scenes.

Okay armchair commander.
    Dude. I know you struggle with this concept, but there are people out there who fucking read/watch the news and have basic google search skills.

Just because Fox News can't be arsed to do any fucking journalism and is incapable of being critical of the military (unless it's attacking the military for not being fascist enough) it doesn't mean this information hasn't been around for years.

Can't answer the actual question?

You do know changing a persons post and answering a question they never asked is essentially trolling right? Are you that ready to take another vacation?
    Considering how much you like to preserve your echo chamber:

How many bases does china have in foreign nations?
    They don't have very many, I don't know the exact amount. But their predatory foreign policy doesn't rely on military strength, yet. They rely on corrupting local officials into signing contracts their countries can't afford with the understanding that they'll acquire strategic resources or infrastructure if the debts can't be re-paid.
    Last edited by BronzeCondor; 2021-08-24 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

One of the reasons I am very impressed with President Biden is: he stood his ground in removing our troops. I did not expect the fall to be anywhere near this fast, but yet all of the other articles before the fall were talking about 3 months, 6 months, and multiple years so that we could continue to stay permanently. The press, including the "liberal" press, has denounced him harshly and frequently, and he has still stood his ground. The press, including the "liberal" press, was completely wrong before the fall.

/respect

Afghanistan is a Taliban controlled country now. If we pay and arm local groups to rise up against the Taliban, then WE are the terrorists. If we support groups that try to revolt from Afghanistan and try to get various provinces to succeed from the country, and they respond by blowing up some bridges across the Mississippi river, then we are engaging in tit-for-tat terrorism against each other. Oh we can bomb the country continuously for the rest of the year, and all of next year, and the year after that, but basically supporting anti-Taliban groups in Afghanistan is declaring war on the country.

The US message to Afghanistan is: we will do everything we can to oppose you, and are in the process of coming up with economic sanctions to apply against you.

The Chinese message to Afghanistan is: we will do everything we can to work out business deals with you so that we can have a peaceful border between us, to make boatloads of money for ourselves, to buy your natural resources, and to gain influence in the region.

I suspect that Afghanistan will try to make deals with the Chinese, and most likely will just not trade with countries that join the US economic sanctions that the US will be sponsoring. Afghanistan has a lot of neighbors to trade with besides China, and most likely will be doing what they can do to prevent themselves from becoming dependent on China. That is for them to decide.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2021-08-24 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    More proof that you can't kill an ideology. These people will continue to exist and it would take drastic and frankly abhorrent measures in order to eliminate an ideology.
    Dunno. We did it rather effectively against the Nazis, then again, Western countries weren't filled with soft, self absorbed whiners then and actually had the belly to go in all the way instead of half measures...