Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I agree with both of you. It's absolutely a fart of a patch and the most pathetic thing WoW can do, and it's absolutely stupid to try to contend with FFXIV right now given the state of the game. That's exactly why they'll do it, they find the dumbest thing thing can do and then do it instead of focusing on just making a good game. It's the MO of Blizzard.
    I mean it's obvious, the first goal is to do something to stop the hemorrhaging, before you try to fix the actual problems. Letting your patient bleed out isn't a solution either, because you might have fixed whatever caused the original injury, but all you have to show for is a pretty corpse. It's simple crisis managment, though admitteldy, you are supposed to talk to the patient to keep them concious if possible, so a few plans for the future to reasure people, that more than just some quick giimiks are on the way, would surely help as well.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Merin View Post
    New zone, korthia, lmao.

HAhahahahahahahahahaha

Player standards in this game are buried below the fucking basement.
    No, player expectations are to the moon. Korthia is no worse than other beloved zones it's being compared to with the added fact that it was a .1 zone whereas the ones it was compared to were .2 or later. Korthia is on par with or better than most .1 content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    You say 9.1 took a while, man if only there was some anomalous thing that might have slowed down a huge company
    Unless their whole staff was sick with covid, no there wasn't. Even still, 9.1 is the last possible chance they had to ever have that as a claim. Anything from here on out is on them not covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    Considering it took them more than 6 months to roll out an underwhelming and lacklustre 9.1. patch, it is normal to assume that no further content, besides a small 9.1.5. update, is to be implemented by the end of 2021.
    Underwhelming? Perhaps.

Still a .1 patch with a new zone (smaller than Nazjatar, bigger than Mechagon), a 10 boss raid and a mega dungeon that will turn into 2 m+s. We've had a lot worse with a lot less .1 patches, so i'm really happy with it. It's probably one of the best x.1 patches in a long, long time.

Hoping for a .2 between FEB-MAR.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Underwhelming? Perhaps.

Still a .1 patch with a new zone (smaller than Nazjatar, bigger than Mechagon), a 10 boss raid and a mega dungeon that will turn into 2 m+s. We've had a lot worse with a lot less .1 patches, so i'm really happy with it. It's probably one of the best x.1 patches in a long, long time.

Hoping for a .2 between FEB-MAR.
    The reason why I think it is underwhelming is because of multiple things that factor in, starting with Blizzard taking more than half a year to release it. On top of that they doubled down on some of the more contentious features of the expansion. When you tie this in with the fact that Shadowlands had a truly great start, it ends up feeling underwhelming to me. The next major patch is at least half a year away in my rough estimates and I don't think that what was given in 9.1 is enough to keep the intended audience interested for that long.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2021-08-25 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    No, player expectations are to the moon. Korthia is no worse than other beloved zones it's being compared to with the added fact that it was a .1 zone whereas the ones it was compared to were .2 or later. Korthia is on par with or better than most .1 content.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless their whole staff was sick with covid, no there wasn't. Even still, 9.1 is the last possible chance they had to ever have that as a claim. Anything from here on out is on them not covid.
    I dont know how to explain how production might slow down if you went from all working in one space, meeting and collaborating on machines designed for that work with specialized hardware and all contextual info accessible to doing all of that remotely

"Go home and do the same thing" isn't an option for say an artist who doesn't have a production level rig at home and can't just teleconference in.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    There will be something in 2021, as there's no way they'd ever go 6 months with no new content.....
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You are a terrible person for wanting more wow content and are part of the problem this sexual harassment lawsuit is about.

At least that's what the wow devs would say to this thread iirc?
    Wow devs scapegoating their playerbase is a tale as old as time.. one of the jarring things about ff14 was the devs actually listening rather then saying they are then doing whatever and later claiming they learned then doing the same thing.

It still actually makes me uneasy... I think blizzard has permanently instilled trust issues within me towards game designers. I am still waiting for the boot to drop and I've nearly hit level cap in ARR.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I mean it's obvious, the first goal is to do something to stop the hemorrhaging, before you try to fix the actual problems. Letting your patient bleed out isn't a solution either, because you might have fixed whatever caused the original injury, but all you have to show for is a pretty corpse. It's simple crisis managment, though admitteldy, you are supposed to talk to the patient to keep them concious if possible, so a few plans for the future to reasure people, that more than just some quick giimiks are on the way, would surely help as well.
    Agreed, you do stop the hemorrhaging. But you don't do it by telling your patient to stand up and start boxing. You pull them into an area (that's ideally clean and less prone to giving them an infection) away from the action, stop the bleeding, give a transfusion of blood if needed while you deal with the wound, and then assess the overall health of the patient. From there you assess what the next stage of treatment will be.

This analogy is falling apart. Basically, what Blizzard needs to do is be humble enough to admit they can't contend with FFXIV right now and just focus on making a good game while they deal with their internal problems. Trying to launch content to contend with competitors is absolutely the wrong and stupid thing to do. It's a lesson 14 learned long ago and has served them well so far.

Agreed, you do stop the hemorrhaging. But you don't do it by telling your patient to stand up and start boxing. You pull them into an area (that's ideally clean and less prone to giving them an infection) away from the action, stop the bleeding, give a transfusion of blood if needed while you deal with the wound, and then assess the overall health of the patient. From there you assess what the next stage of treatment will be.

This analogy is falling apart. Basically, what Blizzard needs to do is be humble enough to admit they can't contend with FFXIV right now and just focus on making a good game while they deal with their internal problems. Trying to launch content to contend with competitors is absolutely the wrong and stupid thing to do. It's a lesson 14 learned long ago and has served them well so far.
    I don't even think the concession towards FFXIV is necessary.

Honestly, what I genuinely think Blizzard CAN and SHOULD do, is come out publicly and say:

"Look, as many of you are away, we are shaking things up here at Blizzard. We're working on fixing some internal issues, and taking care of people who've been negatively affected.

However, we are still committed to World of Warcraft, and are committing to an increased, more open dialogue with the player-base moving forward. As we begin talking about the next big adventure, we will be looking for the community for feedback and guidance on the content you enjoy the most -- as well as what content you don't particularly enjoy -- to shape this next adventure.

In the meantime, look forward to several new smaller-scale Dungeon and Raid encounters (think Onyxia's Lair), as well as revamping some classic content, to ensure there are plenty of new events for you leading up to our next major update."

I think that sort of sentiment would do a lot. It essentially says "you guys know about the legal stuff, but WoW is still important, we're going to listen to the community more", and I think if they committed to that small-scale content every 2-3 months (a single new raid-boss, could even use existing art-assets, maybe even just revamping old loot/graphics for rewards), they'd find a LOT of support for that. And realistically, I don't see it as some huge drain on their resources; like I said, just re-use art assets where possible. You could STILL do some really cool stuff.

Like, maybe without even SHOWING Zovaal, we start to see "cracks" in reality. So maybe we get a revamped fight around Sunwell, with Kael'thas actually (even temporarily) crossing the theshold into the realm of the living once again for the duration of the encounter. Maybe a few months later, Uther joins us in a revamped Stratholme, in which the Scourge are in a state of tug-o-war between the Maldraxxi and those loyal to Zovaal.

Hell, maybe even a revamped "Four Horsemen fight" taking place on Acherus, in which Zovaal asserts complete control over the Ebon Blade, perhaps even Bolvar.

Like I said, I think 2-3 months between them, I think is a tight, but doable timeline. Throw in some cool rewards along the way.

Just my personal take.

You are a terrible person for wanting more wow content and are part of the problem this sexual harassment lawsuit is about.

Nah, that's what the SJW *do* say in threads like these.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Spoken like someone who could never keep a positive groupthink career and has never had to do actual work at home after working in a group setting.

I mean, if they didnt do this and put importance of better the work culture -- those same voices would be hanging management for pushing game development over change.

The game was rigged from the start since you piss off someone either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I don't even think the concession towards FFXIV is necessary.

Honestly, what I genuinely think Blizzard CAN and SHOULD do, is come out publicly and say:

"Look, as many of you are away, we are shaking things up here at Blizzard. We're working on fixing some internal issues, and taking care of people who've been negatively affected.

However, we are still committed to World of Warcraft, and are committing to an increased, more open dialogue with the player-base moving forward. As we begin talking about the next big adventure, we will be looking for the community for feedback and guidance on the content you enjoy the most -- as well as what content you don't particularly enjoy -- to shape this next adventure.

In the meantime, look forward to several new smaller-scale Dungeon and Raid encounters (think Onyxia's Lair), as well as revamping some classic content, to ensure there are plenty of new events for you leading up to our next major update."

I think that sort of sentiment would do a lot. It essentially says "you guys know about the legal stuff, but WoW is still important, we're going to listen to the community more", and I think if they committed to that small-scale content every 2-3 months (a single new raid-boss, could even use existing art-assets, maybe even just revamping old loot/graphics for rewards), they'd find a LOT of support for that. And realistically, I don't see it as some huge drain on their resources; like I said, just re-use art assets where possible. You could STILL do some really cool stuff.

Like, maybe without even SHOWING Zovaal, we start to see "cracks" in reality. So maybe we get a revamped fight around Sunwell, with Kael'thas actually (even temporarily) crossing the theshold into the realm of the living once again for the duration of the encounter. Maybe a few months later, Uther joins us in a revamped Stratholme, in which the Scourge are in a state of tug-o-war between the Maldraxxi and those loyal to Zovaal.

Hell, maybe even a revamped "Four Horsemen fight" taking place on Acherus, in which Zovaal asserts complete control over the Ebon Blade, perhaps even Bolvar.

Like I said, I think 2-3 months between them, I think is a tight, but doable timeline. Throw in some cool rewards along the way.

Just my personal take.
    When I say that they should admit they can't contend with FFXIV, I don't mean publicly. I mean internally they need to see that they don't need to contend launches with FFXIV, or any other game really, and just focus on working on the game.

I understand what you're trying to do with the idea of a statement, but, who would believe them? Or even care? Stuff like that only works if, and only if, you have the trust of the majority of your playerbase. I think we can safely assume they don't at this point. Blizzard as of late is notorious for blowing smoke and serving platitudes, they've lost the privilege of people trusting their words.

I think re-releasing content is absolutely the wrong move here. They're regularly being accused of not releasing enough content and when they do its lackluster and buggy. Nothing says desperate like re-releasing content (with the exception of Timewalking) and it's just going to be insult to injury. On top of that chances are currently they'd mangle those launches as well.

They need to release new content. I like the idea of having the smaller raids though, I think that's a good idea.

Not even having any news on a possible 9.1.5 PTR nearly 2 months after the release of the 9.1 patch is.. slightly worrying.

When I say that they should admit they can't contend with FFXIV, I don't mean publicly. I mean internally they need to see that they don't need to contend launches with FFXIV, or any other game really, and just focus on working on the game.

I understand what you're trying to do with the idea of a statement, but, who would believe them? Or even care? Stuff like that only works if, and only if, you have the trust of the majority of your playerbase. I think we can safely assume they don't at this point. Blizzard as of late is notorious for blowing smoke and serving platitudes, they've lost the privilege of people trusting their words.

I think re-releasing content is absolutely the wrong move here. They're regularly being accused of not releasing enough content and when they do its lackluster and buggy. Nothing says desperate like re-releasing content (with the exception of Timewalking) and it's just going to be insult to injury. On top of that chances are currently they'd mangle those launches as well.

They need to release new content. I like the idea of having the smaller raids though, I think that's a good idea.
    I dunno, I think "remixed" boss fights could still count as new content. Updated visuals, new added mechanics, new story ramifications -- it's not entirely dissimilar to FFXIV's "Ultimate mode" raids. I just... maybe wouldn't make them QUITE so brutal (though, maybe a notable step up in difficulty, with no LFR option).

Or hell, maybe a Mythic-only encounter actually *WOULD* be beneficial for the community! Like maybe new appearance for one of you class's Legion artifacts (which, if they did three of these over the course of an expansion, that's a new appearance for all your artifacts; Demon Hunters and Druids might differ slightly).

Anyways, I definitely think Blizzard needs to plan more frequent content, particularly given they clearly aren't being managed very well since covid. Most industries have long-since adapted by now; Gaming is kind of this strange outlier for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsutomai View Post
    Not even having any news on a possible 9.1.5 PTR nearly 2 months after the release of the 9.1 patch is.. slightly worrying.
    Well we have tidbits, but knowing Renown only ends in October.. Sounds like we are either in for a Mid November release or early December... And forcing RWF near x-mas... again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    No. On these forums any updates mean an expansion hint.
    Wrathin comes back? Dragon expansion clearly!
    LK part of a quest? Wotlk 2 clearly!
    Sylvanas working with a death master? Shadowlands clearly!

At the point we're headed for Wrath of the Shdowlands Dragon Isles Lich and tinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiradon View Post
    Well we have tidbits, but knowing Renown only ends in October.. Sounds like we are either in for a Mid November release or early December... And forcing RWF near x-mas... again.
    I seriously doubt 9.1.5 will have a new Raid, honestly. Most likely won't see a new Raid until 9.2 which I don't expect until about Spring of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The only non-expansion release patch that had more content than 9.1 is probably 8.2, and that literally like one of the best patches in wow's history content volume wise. Korthia is small because it's made to be traversed without a flying mount forever. There's no need to add big empty spaces just to lengthen the travel time (which would no doubt be the complaint if that was the case). Activity-wise, Korthia has probably more than both invasion zones of 8.3 combined. Then you have the old maw additions, assaults, raid and megadungeon.

That's some funny math because 9.1 has only been out for 1,5 month now. No idea how that adds up to 135$, but whatever. As for SL overall, I've spent 63 days and 11 hours on my main while being level 60, and I probably have another 60 days-ish on my 3 main alts. 9 month of sub to get 3000 hours of gameplay? Sounds like a pretty good value for money for me. Also, it's not even 135$, cause I have the discounted 6 month sub, jokes on you mate.
    You have spent 3000 hours in 9 months playing a computer game and the jokes on him? You need to grow up a little.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how you define content. Raids? Probably not. Or if so it would be like right at the end of the year. Other content? Probably. I mean they're doing customization stuff right now. I'm not sure I'd take unverified reports of "no work happening on WoW" as truth. Theres little doubt that they're working on WoW, but whether they'd have any raid content ready to go by year's end or if they'd even have any incentive to? Meh.

The last thing they should be worrying about is what FFXIV is doing. Or New World. FFXIV occupies a completely different space in the genre from WoW with very little overlap aside from streamers and their followers right now while it's hot. And New World is going to last maybe 1.5 Wildstars. lol. They need to just worry about making compelling WoW content for WoW players.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    You have spent 3000 hours in 9 months playing a computer game and the jokes on him? You need to grow up a little.
    Or s/he's retired / wealthy / works from home and can spend half their time living the dream.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

second half of 2022 is the soonest any new dungeon/raid can be expected.
    perhaps even last quarter of 2022 is the soonest.

shadowlands suffers from extremely slowly developed content that is also extremely poorly designed in terms of character/expansion mechanics and atrocious story.