Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    David Lynch one of the best, i think!!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Yea that's what I'm afraid of too. Which just makes me not even want to try and see the movie at all - since it's its only half a story. If I like it - I'll just be peeved there isn't the rest of the story - so why bother? *shrugs*

We shall see! =D
    Dune 2 is not a sure thing – but director Denis Villeneuve is optimistic.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dune-2-is...is-optimistic/
    By Jordan Farley , Jack Shepherd 9 days ago

Dune finally arrives in cinemas this October, but the movie only tells half the story.

"There’s no such thing as Dune 1 and Dune 2. It’s Dune: Part One and Dune: Part Two," director Denis Villeneuve – best known for helming Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 – tells Total Film in the new issue of the magazine.

However, despite the sequel being a priority for Villeneuve, the filmmaker's Blade Runner sequel fell notably short at the box office. So what does Part One have to achieve for Part Two to become a reality?

"We have been hearing in the past few decades that it’s not possible to adapt this book, and that it’s an impossible task. I think that in the back of the mind of the studio, it’s still the same!" Villeneuve says with a hearty laugh.

"So the first thing was to prove that there was a beautiful, popular movie that can exist, and I think that I proved that – everybody at Warner Bros and Legendary, they are 100 percent behind the project. They feel that it would need a really bad outcome at the box office to not have a Dune: Part Two, because they love the movie. They are proud of the movie, so they want the movie to move forward. And they still did half of it. So, you know, I’m very optimistic."

Box-office numbers won't be quite as clear an indicator of success as they once were. In the US, Dune is also being released on HBO Max simultaneously with the theatrical release, a move that courted controversy, with Villeneuve himself writing an open letter in opposition.

"First of all, the enemy of cinema is the pandemic. That’s the thing. We understand that the cinema industry is under tremendous pressure right now. That I get," Villeneuve concedes adding, however, "The way it happened, I’m still not happy. Frankly, to watch Dune on a television, the best way I can compare it is to drive a speedboat in your bathtub. For me, it’s ridiculous. It’s a movie that has been made as a tribute to the big-screen experience."

As for Villeneuve, he’s currently hard at work on that return trip, praying to the makers that enough people share his dreams. "I’m writing [Part Two] now, and I feel like I’m eight years old again," he says, flashing a childlike grin. "That’s very uncommon for me. It’s the first time I’ve experienced it where I’m watching one of my movies, and I have a moment of deep gratitude, of deep joy, and I say, 'Thank you, life, for having allowed me to bring that to the screen.' [laughs] I don’t know how other people will feel about it. But me? Denis Villeneuve when he was 14 years old? Thank you."

Update: Per the reported story, Villeneuve's interview with La Repubblica was translated incorrectly; Zendaya's character Chani will have a major role in the story alongside Timothée Chalamet's Paul Atreides, but will not solely lead the planned Dune sequel.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure I seen something about dune 2 already beginning production?

I guess production might be the wrong word.

Last edited by Orange Joe; 2021-08-26 at 10:22 PM.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    pretty sure I seen something about dune 2 already beginning production?

I guess production might be the wrong word.

I don't think anything is confirmed yet. Even Villeneuve has stated repeatedly it will depend on how the first one does $ wise. I think the studio probably does have enthusiasm for the project but I'm sure they have some baseline in mind it has to meet first. So it will remain in limbo at least for 6 mo or so.

Reviews are coming in and looking good:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dune_2021
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dun...critic-reviews

Everyone seems to agree that it's epic and visually stunning, with the actors doing a great job. Criticisms are that it lacks some depth or character due to its stark and polished presentation, and an ending that doesn't quite hit the spot due to it being part 1 of what will hopefully become a pair of films.

I'm confident that I'm going to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Hope this is good and we can have a proper remake of Dune 2 from Westwood studios, yeh, its basically warcraft/starcraft in a different universe but would be nice with a new RTS.
    Omg I never thought about this.
    I want.

Never crossed my mind what good games we may get from this.

5+ Year Old Account
    more new footage

Dune (2021) Premiere in Venice | Extended (HD)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPurw1VNAxI

Dune (2021) Press Conference Venice Film Festival
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Z3Wm52yTU
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-09-10 at 06:58 PM.

It's going to make it really boring to draw this movie out into two separate movies. Just make one movie with the extended edition DVD and blu ray.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    It's going to make it really boring to draw this movie out into two separate movies. Just make one movie with the extended edition DVD and blu ray.
    Lol, that's not how it works. Also because WB is fucking the movie over with a day and date release it probably won't get the BO to justify and second movie.

I dunno.
    People said the same thing about the Hobbit and the like and I think for fans, the more the better.
    I'd have a trilogy out of it all if I could.
    I mean they are making another fucking matrix and there is already 9 hours more than we need of Neo.
    Annnnnnd Keanu is like 60 irl. Pretty sure he can claim SS.
    Wouldn't the matrix not age you?
    Or couldn't you be any age in the matrix?
    I'm guessing fans of that don't see it the same though and love how it's been drawn out over 20 years, 4 live action movies, an animated movie and aarp memberships.

Also:
    One can never get enough of Timothée Chalamet.

Sorry wasn't like aiming that all at you Nihilist lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Omg I never thought about this.
    I want.

Never crossed my mind what good games we may get from this.
    Fantastic game, but Emperor: Battle of Dune is superior and criminally forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    As of fan of The Hobbit the trilogy was an insult.
    Aw. It superseded Lotr for me and I loved that when it came out.

Granted I only read the Lotr books in college and not the Hobbit.
    I took a fun comparative lit in pop culture class and we used Joseph Campbell's Hero with Thousand Faces to study the potter and lotr books.
    (for those that don't know this is where Lucas based the star wars stuff on/the 17 steps of the hero etc.)
    I only knew the Rankin Bass version of the hobbit.
    But Tolkien's obsession with describing every single mountain and every single rock on it is weird.
    Striders emo mood killer and marathon running across every mountain in NZ is tiring.
    I loved the lightheartedness of it all and I think 1 movie wouldn't have been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Fantastic game, but Emperor: Battle of Dune is superior and criminally forgotten.
    Oh nice thanks for this, I'll check it out.

TLDR: Strider sucks. Tolkien has a hard on for mountains. Tim is still hot and there is an old Dune game worth looking into!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    I dunno.
    People said the same thing about the Hobbit and the like and I think for fans, the more the better.
    I'd have a trilogy out of it all if I could.
    I mean they are making another fucking matrix and there is already 9 hours more than we need of Neo.
    Annnnnnd Keanu is like 60 irl. Pretty sure he can claim SS.
    Wouldn't the matrix not age you?
    Or couldn't you be any age in the matrix?
    I'm guessing fans of that don't see it the same though and love how it's been drawn out over 20 years, 4 live action movies, an animated movie and aarp memberships.

Also:
    One can never get enough of Timothée Chalamet.

Sorry wasn't like aiming that all at you Nihilist lol
    I would not want a trilogy of just the first book of dune. They got at least 4 other books after that one right? Would rather they make those instead.

I did love the hobbit trilogy though. There was a lot of extra information the hobbit trilogy added that was not in the book. I really enjoyed it that they showed all the stuff about Sauron in the Hobbit trilogy. I don't think dune would be as interesting drawn out like that though.

I think it will be a good movie but I think it's going to bomb financially though.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2021-09-11 at 01:13 AM.

I would not want a trilogy of just the first book of dune. They got at least 4 other books after that one right? Would rather they make those instead.
    That could be a challenge. The books become quite... involved. One of them (God Emperor of Dune) is straight up more like a philosophical treatise in places. It wouldn't be impossible to turn those into films, but it would probably supremely difficult to make them into films that are both true/respectful to the books AND also films a mass audience would want to watch. The first book is much easier to turn into a film in that respect, because it has a very clear and mostly straightforward narrative. It gets progressively more difficult after that.

I didnt read the books but i have seen some synopsis videos about the story,uhm...can this story even be told in a few movies?wouldnt a tv series be better?

I have been really enjoying the expanse so far,and even that is gonna have some problems adapting future stories with a MUCH MUCH smaller timeskip

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I didnt read the books but i have seen some synopsis videos about the story,uhm...can this story even be told in a few movies?
    Depends on what you mean by "this story" :P
    If you go by the original Frank Herbert books (from Dune to Chapterhouse Dune) that's a span of a few THOUSAND YEARS. And while yes there's lots of timeskips involved, that would make storytelling and narrative cohesion a challenge - particularly because he frontloads a lot of exposition in ways that would be problematic to transfer onto film, making it even more complicated.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I did love the hobbit trilogy though. There was a lot of extra information the hobbit trilogy added that was not in the book. I really enjoyed it that they showed all the stuff about Sauron in the Hobbit trilogy. I don't think dune would be as interesting drawn out like that though.

I think it will be a good movie but I think it's going to bomb financially though.
    I don't know how much, but this movie isn't one for one from the book. Some trailers have already shown they are adding more to the movie.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "this story" :P
    If you go by the original Frank Herbert books (from Dune to Chapterhouse Dune) that's a span of a few THOUSAND YEARS. And while yes there's lots of timeskips involved, that would make storytelling and narrative cohesion a challenge - particularly because he frontloads a lot of exposition in ways that would be problematic to transfer onto film, making it even more complicated.
    I see,so its rather not doable? i guess just doing movies of some of the more,interesting...sagas? would be fine

I guess yea I was thinking trilogy, with 1st book being main storyline with time skips added in to show other fun/relevant story lines from other books they wanted to add in to make the full 3.

Like Biomega said too where in this case I feel it's like the Silmarillion in the sense that it's hard to make a film from.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I see,so its rather not doable? i guess just doing movies of some of the more,interesting...sagas? would be fine
    Honestly, not everything has to exist in every medium. I think the books are fine to just exist as books, and I'd rather have people make NEW movies with original stories and settings.