Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Did I understand Covenant swapping correctly?

There are conflicting statements on Youtube;

I am 64 (max. right now) on my NEcrolords and want to finally go Venthyr. Must I grind renown again from 0 to 64 (or current maximum)

If yes, what is the point?

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't really have any details to draw conclusions yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alithia View Post

I am 64 (max. right now) on my NEcrolords and want to finally go Venthyr. Must I grind renown again from 0 to 64 (or current maximum)

To me, it sounds like you don't have to farm renown again when 9.1.5 hits when swapping.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Players who reach max Renown for their Covenant will be able to freely switch among any of the four Covenants without cooldown or restriction.
    Max renown is 80.
    Which we will undoubtedly have reached once 9.1.5 goes live.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    To me, it sounds like you don't have to farm renown again when 9.1.5 hits when swapping.
    Edit to my previous reply.

It seems it is tied with reaching max renown once. So, if you change at 64, then you need to do it again - but if you reach cap.. I think 80 (?) on just one character, then you don't have to do renown hunting when you swap anymore.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Players who reach max Renown for their Covenant will be able to freely switch among any of the four Covenants without cooldown or restriction. Cosmetic rewards, including pets and mounts, that have been earned from that covenant will thereafter be available regardless of your membership in a different one. Covenant switching and the use of cosmetic rewards will also apply to any alternate characters once the Renown threshold is reached on one character.

(Source)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

64 is just this weeks cap, ofc I assume once we reach 80. I think 9.1.5. will come before that.

10+ Year Old Account
    64 is just this weeks cap, ofc I assume once we reach 80. I think 9.1.5. will come before that.
    I think we'll reach 80 within 9.1.5 as well, as there would be 8 weeks for reaching 80 at the current, I believe?

Yesm, but the questions remains: lets pretend we are at 80 now. So I can switch from NL to Venthy, buy cosmetics there, then go Kyrian and buy theren, then NF and buy there, and finally back to NL and I got all cosmetics? And if I want to go Ret I go Kyrian and Venth for prot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yesm, but the questions remains: lets pretend we are at 80 now. So I can switch from NL to Venthy, buy cosmetics there, then go Kyrian and buy theren, then NF and buy there, and finally back to NL and I got all cosmetics? And if I want to go Ret I go Kyrian and Venth for prot?
    Sounds as I read it that your first example, yes, most likely - though I am almost certain there may still be a cooldown between changing covenants. And I doubt they'll be nice enough to give us cross-specc covenants. And there's nothing about the anima, so could be worried they might reset that pr. change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sounds as I read it that your first example, yes, most likely - though I am almost certain there may still be a cooldown between changing covenants. And I doubt they'll be nice enough to give us cross-specc covenants. And there's nothing about the anima, so could be worried they might reset that pr. change.
    Edit to the previous post.

There won't be any cooldown on switching, but still, nothing about your anima staying or resetting.

Hmm you could save anima now and simply don't turn it in. A full cosmetic set is maybe 5k anime?

Also, did they say anything about lifting the restrictions on using and looting special Korthia mounts, e.g. Kyrian mount only lootable and usable for Kyrians etc.

That is something I never understood since every alt can use the maw assault mount drops.

The big question is: Will we keep renown, anima and grateful offerings with 9.1.5 when switching covenants? Or are they lost everytime you switch? Or are they tied to the covenant, so switching back restores your previous values?

So far Blizzard has not yet specified how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    The big question is: Will we keep renown, anima and grateful offerings with 9.1.5 when switching covenants? Or are they lost everytime you switch? Or are they tied to the covenant, so switching back restores your previous values?

There could be more specifics, but it feels like the intent is to make Covenant Switching easy, and allow you to retain all rewards. If the latter is incomplete, a lot of people this would otherwise appeal to will be disappointed.

From what the intent appears to be, once you've reached Renown 80, you should be unlocking the ability to switch Covenants freely and retain all the rewards earned.

I switched and returned to a covenant before, renown stays per covenant (So if you switch, your renown with the old covenant stays when you return to it), same for sanctum upgrades, anima is a personal currency, so that stays with you, IIRC the same goes for grateful offerings, but not 100% sure on that one...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm you could save anima now and simply don't turn it in.
    That's really unnecessary - we already are practically shitting Anima and it's only going to get more abundant as we go.

I hope the way covenant switch will work is like this - you get to 80 on one covenant, you can switch free for all then:

Option 1: your renown is permanently 80 no matter what.
    Option 2: another covenant will start out at 60 renown, so you can have some progression via cov story renown gains or some such, without having to farm mountain of renown.

I think either would be fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    I switched and returned to a covenant before, renown stays per covenant (So if you switch, your renown with the old covenant stays when you return to it), same for sanctum upgrades, anima is a personal currency, so that stays with you, IIRC the same goes for grateful offerings, but not 100% sure on that one...
    Anima and offerings currently are reset to 0 once you switch to a new covenant, so at best you keep what you were currently having when switching back to a previous one. But good to know that the renown is already tied to the covenant.

It will most likely be based on renown 80, because you have then unlocked all things one covenant has to offer. From that point you can just switch and do to the other covenant's stuff, use their cosmetics etc. irrespective if they are currently your main covenant. Below that you can change (like the first time right now), but you still have to grind up their renown.

They probably want some minium engagement here and want to repurpose the switch mechanic to unlock everything on other covenants instantly, instead of having to calculate everything whenever you switch based on renown level.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    At start of 9.1 I bought some random crap with my anima, switched covenant, sold back the purchases and got my anima back. Worst case scenario this is what you ll have to do (minus some anima leakage that is unavoidable).
    That's a good trick to know.
    But just to point out: The major issue is not anima, which you can get in abundance in Korthia. But grateful offerings (which are required for pretty much every covenant cosmetic) require you to upgrade your anima conductor first and do the daily tasks for weeks and months.

Anima and offerings currently are reset to 0 once you switch to a new covenant, so at best you keep what you were currently having when switching back to a previous one. But good to know that the renown is already tied to the covenant.
    Pretty sure offerings are not reset. I used the abundance I had accumulated on my nightfae when it switched back to Kyrian. (Or I was actually sitting a suspiciously similar number that I didn't notice it at all)
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-08-28 at 12:54 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

´So better not turn in your anima items and just bank them. I really want to buy for example all leather sets from all 4 covenents and then return to Night fae. Hell why not., nobody cares what cosmetics I have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would temper your expectations till more is know, i would not put it past them that there is some sort of time sink involved just to get those active numbers back up again for a few months.

Same goes with storing Anima, they have made system changes or additions in the past where resources obtained before the change would not carry over. While anima is not directly linked to player power so it seems less likely it is hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to designing systems players actually want.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins