Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it wasn't him, it would be someone else. Anduin wants to

A: Save someone else from that fate and

B: Put himself at the Jailer's side for a possible betrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by Relo View Post
    Have been reading mmo-c for a while, but this is the question which made me register here.

As the final chapter of campaign showed us, the Jailer's control over Anduin is not permanent, meaning he can act independently at least sometimes. Why didn't he commit suicude then? That way he wouldn't have had to protect the Jailer completing the ritual in Oribos which we got to see during Sylvanas fight, making it much easier to defeat/interrupt him. Is this an oversight?

P.S. I'm sorry for any typos and grammar mistakes, as English is not my mother tongue.
    I mean, at least he's still got some free will.

Kill himself, soul ends up literally into the Jailers hand and now the Jailer has unlimited Anduin puppet forever.

Yeah, good plan.

Have been reading mmo-c for a while, but this is the question which made me register here.

As the final chapter of campaign showed us, the Jailer's control over Anduin is not permanent, meaning he can act independently at least sometimes. Why didn't he commit suicude then? That way he wouldn't have had to protect the Jailer completing the ritual in Oribos which we got to see during Sylvanas fight, making it much easier to defeat/interrupt him. Is this an oversight?

P.S. I'm sorry for any typos and grammar mistakes, as English is not my mother tongue.
    let's think about this logically. we're in the realm of death, in a fantasy setting, that has resurrection AND undeath magic, and you're wondering why anduin didn't off himself before/during his chances to. shadowlands is a horrible mess of storytelling but this is a kind of 2+2 question. the answer is rather obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    I got the impression he was working with Sylvanas? Why would he kill himself?
    How in the world did you get that impression? She forcefully turned him into a puppet for the Jailor, because she was too stupid to see him for what he was.

I think the answer to this is that he'll either be raised by the guy who made the LK, or he'll just find himself back in the Maw.

I think the more appropriate question is, why hasn't he tapped into the void yet? Seems like he'd be able to free himself pretty quickly if he did.

Where do we get confirmation that she turned him into anything, and that he didn't willingly joining forces with her off screen?
    He literally said in the latest cinematic to her "What YOU turned me into" in respect to his current state. I thought myself that he might have made a plan with her, but that is no longer an option. If he did, he would have no reason to guilt trip her for his transformation and also if there was a plan then there would have been no need for Sylvanas to make up her mind before going "I serve no one" on Zovaal, she would have decided beforehand.

We don't see him forcefully turned into anything. She pointed a sword at him and the cinematic faded to black.
    Yes and the following ones made it clear that she decided to go through with it. No great conspiracy here sadly. It's just Sylvanas being so stupid she believed the guy with the grudge and S/M fetish was ever gonna make a world where everyone is free. After betraying everyone that ever accepted her and everything she stood for this guy betrayed her as everyone knew he would. That is all there is to it.

5+ Year Old Account
    I feel like if Anduin committed suicide it would give Blizzard even more bad publicity then they already currently have.

Lore reason: Because his soul would just end up in the maw again.

Out-of-story reason: The writing team just adores Anduin, he keeps the Alliance in their "stupid good" place, so we'll be stuck with the twerp for a long time to come...

I mean would his soul even leave his body if he killed himself, or would be like a vacum sealed burrito that gets smacked?

IMO it's just kinda weird to think suicide would have worked as a way out in the Shadowlands, of all places.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure, have we ever seen a cinematic moment of him wielding his weapon while not under Domination?
    Not sure how you'd suggest he'd off himself otherwise. Swallowing your own tongue is pretty tricky.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account

Most likely part of the Jailer's will of dominance to keep Anduin alive as well, though? Some might not wish to commit suicide and following on that, the Jailer needing his puppet, might not want him to kill himself. We can be quite certain that even though Anduin has independent moments, does not mean he is independent from the powers of the Jailer.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    He would end up back there, only this time as a dead soul.
    Or if he's truly like Arthas was then he might already be dead / undead, making it pointless to seek self-destruction as the Jailer can just insta-ress him immediately.
    Besides it's not like the jailer couldn't have seen this coming, given the amount of experience with desperate souls the guy has by now.
    I am betting Anduin will be some form of undead by the end of this.

I see everyone saying that blizzard writers made this plot hole but I don’t think they did. Suicide is a huge problem all over the world and I know a few people, myself included at one point in time, who have used WoW to escape their life and block out problems etc to help cope and deal with the crap going on. By then having a main character of the game commit suicide so openly it’s not really the right message to send out. Especially with COVID making peoples mental health become more prevalent right now

So he kills himself, all souls are going into the maw… how would that help lol

Because it's a video game, a high fantasy one at that, suicide is going to be about the last thing on the list, probably behind wiggling his nose and warping back home safely.

Outside of Final Fantasy 6, which involved a more bleak situation, I've never seen a major RPG character attempt suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by luciano View Post
    Because even though that would be 100% in his character (self-sacrifice for the greater good), the writing team is comprised of a half dozen high-school sophomores and a reasonably educated chimp.

It would have been nice to see the "obvious" set-up of the villain fail because the hero did something random, followed by the story taking a wildly new turn. That'd be good writing and we just can't have that.
    Or. Hear me out. The Jailer, able to take souls due to the state of the afterlife. Would just take his soul and Anduin would be dead like Arthas.

But go on flaming the writing team cause they didn’t write the story in that stupid direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Sylvy did at the end of Lich King/before Cata. It’s in the short story, but that also explains that she saw black, nothing but evil. So she took the Valks help and that’s when she met the Jailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I am betting Anduin will be some form of undead by the end of this.
    Given how the jailer un-undeaded Sylvanas i am not certain how much that would mean.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Given how the jailer un-undeaded Sylvanas i am not certain how much that would mean.
    Changing eye color isn't any indication of removing the undead status

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I think the answer to this is that he'll either be raised by the guy who made the LK, or he'll just find himself back in the Maw.

I think the more appropriate question is, why hasn't he tapped into the void yet? Seems like he'd be able to free himself pretty quickly if he did.
    I know this is a bit late on this, but since the thread showed up again I'll chime in with something I find interesting at least.

Not even the Jailer himself could break the Runes of Domination on him, at least at the point of the raid.
    It's an important detail to note in the Sylvanas fight, he doesn't leave the Maw. He forcibly expands the Maw to cover Oribos which allows him to go there. He's still bound at that point though.

So if not even the Jailer can break his own runes from the Primus (at least pre-Sigil gauntlet), I don't think Anduin could break his.

What makes the most sense is that Anduin has a longer plan in mind and I biding time. If that is in fact Arthas in that sword and Anduin can break free from the jailor and use the light that would make him FAR stronger than Sylv. He would have his jailor powers, combined with Arthas AND the light.... For all we know arthas is communicating to him through the sword and leading him. That's what a real father would do.