Poll: Should wow go f2p

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    if WoW went F2P they'd start creating classes/races that are only obtainable with money. Heavy issue of new transmogs, mounts, pets, toys like you said as well, probably new ones weekly.

But the pay to play classes and races will be an inevitable outcome, the competitive edge always goes up for sale.
    No that is just fear talking.

wow should of been buy to play longtime ago,like buy the expansion and you have access to the latest stuff

Quote Originally Posted by rybat117 View Post
    I see no real reason to go f2p, as the subscription model isn't what's killing wow. Most of its competitors that have been growing lately have nearly identical subscription models and are doing just fine.
    what other fantasy mmo charges a subscription while at the same time sells you gold directly with which you can buy items and boosts to get everything in game? that and the game itself is designed to stimulate p2w RMT's.... your highest legendary base is what, a million gold ?...and in pvp you literally cant fully gear if you are an average player due to rating gating unless you pay for a boost....you gonna grind 8 hours a day for weeks to do that? nope swipe that credit card get em items easy boom

people dont think wow is worth the sub compared to what (BS) they get in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    Free-to-play would kill WoW as we know it today.

Unless of course you really like grinding, micro-transations, pay-to-win, reduced functionality and so and so forth.
    You just described modern WoW, but without the monthly sub.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thin it should go F2P.

Still wouldn't bring me back to the game though. I just think it would be funny.
    Here is something to believe in!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Going F2P would just increase the in game shop to make up for the losses so I’d say no. The shop is already bad enough without expanding to FFxiv levels or throwing in loot boxes like Swtor.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Well, with all those unsubs and so on, wow now have less players, and u can notice that walking around the game.

Isnt a good time to go f2p now? Doing that surely will bring more players to the game.

And no need to make p2w, blizz shop alone could make a big money to then.
    If subs would drop so dramatically, you would see switch to buy to play model. Or at least something like ESO or SWtOR, so sub for quality of life stuff. So far expac price & subs seems to be enough.

Of course there are also whales that buy many WoW tokens, but like in real life big tax from wealthy minority is always small part of total income. Also growing token price (in gold) rather suggest more people are buying token with gold than $ since BfA (imo lack of useful 5M gold mount on vendor makes difference).

And maybe I play on strange server, but I don't see any difference between population now or let's say February. After all launch tourists are gone, it's pretty much the same for most of expac.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    You just described modern WoW, but without the monthly sub.
    Aha. That 2 store mounts per year are totally the same as shops in B2P/F2P games.

"should wow go free to play" threads, need to banned like their useless cousins, "WoW is dead", and "What class should I play", threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Going F2P would just increase the in game shop to make up for the losses so I’d say no. The shop is already bad enough without expanding to FFxiv levels or throwing in loot boxes like Swtor.
    what else can they sell that you cant already get? rank 1 title directly? removing the sub would at least revitalize the game and bring alot of players back into the game. who wants to play in a fantasy world that has as you say a smaller cash shop but where there are no people to play with? game is already milked so hard in mtx people quit just because of that, they refuse paying a sub while getting frecked by p2w as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    "should wow go free to play" threads, need to banned like their useless cousins, "WoW is dead", and "What class should I play", threads.
    would you mind explaining why is it a useless topic in your opinion instead of just writing a patronizing one liner?

lol.

Joshua Strife Hayes has a video on free to play games that I would recommend.

I don't want to edit my previous comment as a bunch of people have already pointed out that WoW already these things in abundance. Perhaps I should have said:

Unless of course you really want the grinding, micro-transations, pay-to-win, reduced functionality and so forth to be exponentially increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    lol.

Joshua Strife Hayes has a video on free to play games that I would recommend.

I don't want to edit my previous comment as a bunch of people have already pointed out that WoW already these things in abundance. Perhaps I should have said:

Unless of course you really want the grinding, micro-transations, pay-to-win, reduced functionality and so forth to be exponentially increased.
    what (non whale?) people want is NO pay 2 win in a box + subscription type game....and since apparently the way blizz wants to run business that isnt possible, they are asking for a 2nd best alternative.....if you already whored the game out like you did with MTX, at least be fair and remove the monthly sub? "ooooh dont remove the monthly sub its gonna make our p2w game we pay a box and sub for even MORE pw2" ..... just read that and look at yourself in the mirror....you are the perfect blizzard customer - 0 self respect and defends and pays for every bs the game throws at him because hey, it could be worse right? free to play wouldnt kill wow....PAY 2 WIN IN SUBSCRIPTION MODEL would kill wow and is killing wow....get your facts straight first where the real cause of the problem is.
    Last edited by srambo; 2021-08-30 at 05:52 AM.

I don't care to invite the usual f2p rabble into WoW to further ruin the game with their extraordinarily toxic behavior.

It also helps reduce botting by individuel players. We're mostly left with industrial botting, something we'll never be rid of as long as it remains profitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

it doesnt reduce botting since a bot grinds a token for its sub in a matter of days. what it does reduce is the number of normal passionate players that want to play a fair game.

What you may not understand OP, is that even with the presumed loss of subs wow is still very profitable. And even if it's no longer the most popular MMORPG, it's probably the second most popular. Some people are acting as if wow is literally dead, just because it's no longer the most popular game in the world. That's not how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by srambo View Post
    what (non whale?) people want is NO pay 2 win in a box + subscription type game....and since apparently the way blizz wants to run business that isnt possible, they are asking for a 2nd best alternative.....if you already whored the game out like you did with MTX, at least be fair and remove the monthly sub? "ooooh dont remove the monthly sub its gonna make our p2w game we pay a box and sub for even MORE pw2" ..... just read that and look at yourself in the mirror....you are the perfect blizzard customer - 0 self respect and defends and pays for every bs the game throws at him because hey, it could be worse right? free to play wouldnt kill wow....PAY 2 WIN IN SUBSCRIPTION MODEL would kill wow and is killing wow....get your facts straight first where the real cause of the problem is.
    Wow isn't pay 2 win, unless you stretch the definition very hard to fit your agenda. I know that streamers and content creators like to do that, but to anyone who has seen actual real pay 2 win system like in mobile games it's obvious that this is not the case. Do some research and get educated on what "pay 2 win" actually looks like before posting bullshit / perpetuating your favorite youtuber's bullshit.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

PAY 2 WIN IN SUBSCRIPTION MODEL would kill wow and is killing wow....get your facts straight first where the real cause of the problem is.
    lol, get over yourself, your opinion is not "facts"...
    p2w is kiling wow is literaly BULLSHIT, and everyone with at least two brain cells knows it, bcs you could buy gold/boost/items since vanila ffs, it didnt kill wow before and its not what is killing wow now...

people are not happy with content, thats what is killing wow, what do you think people think "well, i absolutely love this game i have a blast, BUT Average Joe spend few hundreds on cometic mounts and boost to get a chance at gear thats about as good as mine so l will leave"?

- - - Updated - - -

if you already whored the game out like you did with MTX, at least be fair and remove the monthly sub?
    you can literaly get all the cosmetic items from shop, subscription, and game itself for gold without paying a dime...

- - - Updated - - -

"ooooh dont remove the monthly sub its gonna make our p2w game we pay a box and sub for even MORE pw2"
    well, its HUGE difference if we have shop with 2 new mounts a year, WHICH WE DONT NEED TO BUY as there are literaly hundreds obtainable ingame, or if we get shop with mythic or even better gear...
    if you cant see it thats on you, i dont have time nor crayons to explain

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    No, but buy to play wouldn't be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think it's time to at least contemplate what that would look like. There are but-to-play models out there like GW2 that are B2P and don't provide power gear in the store. There are a lot more MMO's with harsher revenue models but I changed my mind during BFA that B2P might be a better look for them. I'm not saying it should happen now but it wouldn't kill them to give it some serious thought. Given that a great deal of the revenue from the game is coming from expansion sales and services it's not unthinkable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PingPong View Post
    wow should of been buy to play longtime ago,like buy the expansion and you have access to the latest stuff
    If there is any change, it will probably only be in this ^ format... however, I'm not sure that it can morally/financially endure even such a transformation, rather project will be putting into stasis mode.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2021-08-30 at 06:44 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

5+ Year Old Account
    No, f2p game gonna be flooded with gold sellers,bad kids, and cheep skins for mounts.

Woke up Alan, its already f2p.

1)gold sellers check
    2)bots check
    3)runs sellers check
    4)toxic kids check
    5)greedy ion check
    6)cheep mount skins check
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2021-08-30 at 06:47 AM.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

10+ Year Old Account
    only if subscribed players get premium customer support (no automated ban, no permaban for no reason, talking to veteran GMs only that are positively reviewed)

7+ Year Old Account
    with the expansions already being darn expensive i see no reason to pay monthly for wow, especially when subscriptions is on the ceiling, in some countries not even worthy to pay

either lower the cost or just stop and make money for services and cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Well, with all those unsubs and so on, wow now have less players, and u can notice that walking around the game.

Isnt a good time to go f2p now? Doing that surely will bring more players to the game.

And no need to make p2w, blizz shop alone could make a big money to then.
    Blizz shop already is p2w, so...