Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Which is precisely why Shaman and Paladin were gutted.

As much as I love - and prefer - the Support playstyle, Blizzard doesn't want that in WoW. Period. They made the decision to not have that playstyle in their game two decades ago, and built the game for the next two decades on the trinity. You can't inject another corner without upending the rest of the game.

This is why, as much as I absolutely love Bard, I don't want them in WoW. Even if they fit in thematically, or could easily carve out their own space, there is no place for them mechanically. Any implementation would be a mockery. I don't want them to do to Bard right out of the gate what they did to Shaman.
    I think the biggest issue is that there isn't a WC Bard hero to base this off of beyond the ETC. I really think if we had that, we could really create a stronger platform to base a Warcraft Bard on. Look at the Dragonsworn concept; Part of the reason that works is because we have WC Blizzard concepts to base them on from HotS. I really think this is the reason that so many people just don't feel that the Bard fits WoW, because Blizzard has done very little to create a verifiable Bard hero in WC lore.

With that said, if you just let your imagination run wild, you can come up with quite a few concepts that could work. Heck, if I was a dev, I would strongly consider taking concepts from the Minstrel/Gypsy from Ragnarok Online and combine them with Deckard Cain from HotS. From there, you can make a rather interesting and unique class.

Maybe I'll do a class write up, since I don't have any major plans this weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    Bards don't need to be support to exist you know. They can "support" their team with heals on one spec and dps on the other two.

Just because other games or DnD made them that way doesn't mean that is the only way they can be. Do something new and unique instead of copying how other games make it work.
    Except in WoW, it wouldn’t be new or unique. It would undoubtedly be just another builder/spender with a musical theme. That is a disservice to the concept.

It would be like getting a Warrior class that heals by throwing axes at friendlies. Or a Priest that is incapable of healing. The support role is just as integral to Bard as specific trinity roles are to existing classes.

Except in WoW, it wouldn’t be new or unique. It would undoubtedly be just another builder/spender with a musical theme. That is a disservice to the concept.

It would be like getting a Warrior class that heals by throwing axes at friendlies. Or a Priest that is incapable of healing. The support role is just as integral to Bard as specific trinity roles are to existing classes.
    Paladins and shamans started out as support classes, now they aren't. If they can work without being buff-bots, so can bards.

I hate to use 80s cliches, but think outside the box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladins and shamans started out as support classes, now they aren't. If they can work without being buff-bots, so can bards.

The thing about Shaman that makes them unique is that they use the four elements. Paladins are essentially warriors infused with holy magic. Honestly when they stopped forcing Shaman and Paladins to be aura machines, it made the classes WAY more enjoyable to play.

Music-based magic is typically made unique by producing auras through channeling. In WoW, Shaman and Paladins used to do that, but it was changed because that type of gameplay is simply not fun for players, and it forced groups to only bring Paladins and (especially) Shaman along for their buffs. I really can't imagine Blizzard going back down that well again with Bards.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    This is not a thread about a potential Tinker class, so let's drop the irrelevant and derailing back-and-forth and return to the actual topic of the thread.
    God you're my hero. So sick of the tinker squad derailing every class concept thread.

Op this is amazing. I hope you get someone at some game company to take note of your ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

The thing about Shaman that makes them unique is that they use the four elements. Paladins are essentially warriors infused with holy magic. Honestly when they stopped forcing Shaman and Paladins to be aura machines, it made the classes WAY more enjoyable to play.
    The problem was they had zero combat effectiveness when they were still designed with 'Hybrid Tax' still in effect. Paladins literally auto-attacked and had to depend on Procs. Shamans were even worse off in that respect by having nothing worthwhile in their skillset, and had to depend on procs provided by Weapon enchants or Weapon effects to make use of the crazy high attack-speed buffs they get. It was overall poor design back then that gave them little worth outside of being buffbots.

That wasn't the problem of support gameplay itself. I think the game is too rigidly designed as it is right now, where there's literally zero synergy between classes because they're focused on a 'Bring the Player' mentality, whereas you actually felt important for being a particular class because of your unique buffs and utility.

Music-based magic is typically made unique by producing auras through channeling. In WoW, Shaman and Paladins used to do that, but it was changed because that type of gameplay is simply not fun for players, and it forced groups to only bring Paladins and (especially) Shaman along for their buffs. I really can't imagine Blizzard going back down that well again with Bards.
    Just use the myriad sonic abilities we see NPCs use, like the attacks with the multiple gold colored rings. These were very common with the mantid in MoP, but they also had a comeback during BFA.

If we take E.T.C's and Lucio's gameplay from HotS, we can see that it's mostly damage, stunning, healing, shielding and minor buffing (speed). Wouldn't that fit WoW?

Shaman hasn’t had a mechanical identity since and is constantly being revamped. Enhancement, particularly, is directionless. It feels awful.

A fun little challenge for you: without describing its theme, tell me what makes each Shaman spec unique from a gameplay perspective.

Shaman hasn’t had a mechanical identity since and is constantly being revamped. Enhancement, particularly, is directionless. It feels awful.

A fun little challenge for you: without describing its theme, tell me what makes each Shaman spec unique from a gameplay perspective.
    Water healing. No other healing spec has this.

Lightning, lava, and earthquake magic. No other ranged spec has this.

Lightning, lava, and earth enhanced melee. No other melee spec has this.

Sonic dps. Sonic healing. Holy dps. No class has this.

Seems like bard has a niche to me.

Water healing. No other healing spec has this.

Lightning, lava, and earthquake magic. No other ranged spec has this.

Lightning, lava, and earth enhanced melee. No other melee spec has this.

Sonic dps. Sonic healing. Holy dps. No class has this.

Seems like bard has a niche to me.
    From a gameplay perspective, I said. No mention of thematic.

- - - Updated - - -

Important part bolded.
    Last edited by draugril; 2021-08-29 at 02:01 PM.

Alright here is my take. I might move it to my own thread, if I ever am motivated to make a neat presentation, with icons and illustrations.

Bard Class

Weapons : 2H Axes and Maces, 1H Axes and Maces
    Base Stats : Agility / Intelligence
    Armor type : Mail
    Races : All

Baseline Abilities

Resource : Ovation or Harmonic - Depending on your Specialization, you generate either Ovation or Harmony.

Amp-owered ! : Cast when your Ovation or Harmonic is full, your Musical abilities deal amplified damages and healing and your Ovation and Harmonic are consumed.

-Powerslide : You slide forward while shredding your guitar, dealing damage and rooting enemies for a short duration. Generates Ovation.

In Harmony Spec, is replaced by Thundering Drums which bumps enemies and roots them.

-Echo Pedal : (Passive) Similar to the Windfury buff, allows your Musical abilities to sometime hit for damages or healing a second time.

-Solo : You engage in a solo, healing yourself overtime for a short duration. Echo Pedal affects this ability for every tick. Generates Ovation.

-Song of my people : You play the music of your people, with an appropriate instrument. (Guitars, drums, sax, flute, etc.)

Channeling ability which reduces the damages done by enemies and increases the damages done by allies. Bonus doubles for allies who are the same race as you.

When used out of combat, lasts as long you stand still, without any effect other than offering a nice concert to your allies.

-The Power of [Your faction] : (PVP Talent) The Song of my people now has a Blood Lust effect in PvP.

-Do it from Behind : Mid-ranged ability which deals damages as if you're attacking from behind. Great chances for crit. Generates Ovation

-I am Murloc : Deals damage over time to enemies around, as they are attacked by the sound of murlocs !

Allows you and your allies to breath underwater.

-Tough Crowd : Hurls a rotten tomato at the target, interrupting the casting of a spell. Get off the stage sucker !

-Stage Dive : You dive to the targeted location, healing your allies for a small amount of HP and stunning your enemies for a short duration. Generates Ovation for each enemy hit and allies healed.

-Encore ! : Resets the cooldown of your Musical abilities. Consumes Ovation or Harmonic.

-Moves like Jaguar : Increases your chances of Dodging.

-Show must go on ! : (Passive) At the moment of your death, you make a glorious come back for a short duration of time. You are granted full Ovation or Harmonic.

Mastery - Rockin' Powder : Increases the speed of your channeling abilities.

Specs

Steel Music - Tank

Weapons : 2H - Your weapon is used as a guitar. Shred it !

Resource : Ovation - Similar to rage, you build it by getting hit and using your musical abilities.

Once your Ovation bar is full, your abilities can be Amp-owered ! for a short time, and you generate more threat. Your Ovation is rapidly consumed after cast.

-Mosh pit : An AoE that taunts enemies and reduces their armor, while increasing your own. Generates Ovation for each enemy affected.

-Ring of Fire : (Talent) Your Mosh pit now also deals Fire damage.

-Toughen' up ! : Similar to the Ignore Pain ability. You ignore a part of the damages taken. Consumes Ovation.

-Spiked suit (Passive) : Enemies attacking you in melee suffer damage.

-Headbang : Grants immunity to movement-impairing effects for a short time. Deals damage to enemies in front of you for all the duration of the effect.

Generates Ovation when cast and then more Ovation for each enemy hit.

-Demonic instrument : (Talent, Passive) There's a demon in your instrument ! When you consume Ovation for abilities other than Amp-owered !, the demon has a chance to manifest and deal extra Fire damages to enemies around you.

-Soul music : (Talent, Passive) When you consume Ovation for abilities other than Amp-owered !, the amount of Ovation used is converted into a shield.

Thunder Music - DPS

Weapons : 2H - Your weapon is used as a guitar. Shred it !

Resource : Ovation - Unlike the Steel Ovation, you build it by dealing damages with basic attacks and using your musical abilities.

Once your Ovation bar is full, your abilities can be Amp-owered ! for a short time, and the attack speed is increased for you and your allies. Your Ovation is rapidly consumed after cast.

-Power chord : Mid-range single target attack whose purpose is mostly to generate Ovation.

-Thunder-axe : (Talent) Your Power Chord now deals Nature damage.

-Speed Music : Increases the movement speed for you and your allies, for a short duration. Consumes Ovation.

-Face Melt : Mid-range single target attack that reduces enemy armor. Generates Ovation.

-Socks off : Bumps enemies around you and grants you and your allies movement speed. Generates Ovation.

-Mad Riff : Channeling ability whose damage increases over time. Deals damage to enemies around you. Generates Ovation.

-Smash the Guitar : (Talent) You finish your Mad Riff by smashing your guitar on the ground, dealing one last blow that stuns enemies around you. Can be used to interrupt your Mad Riff.

-Demonic instrument : (Talent, Passive) There's a demon in your instrument ! When you consume Ovation for abilities other than Amp-owered !, the demon has a chance to manifest and deal extra damages to enemies around you.

-Soul music : (Talent, Passive) When you consume Ovation for abilities other than Amp-owered !, the amount of Ovation used is converted into a shield.

Harmony - Heal

Weapons : 1H - Your weapons are used for drums, give us the tempo !

Resource : Harmonic - You gain one Harmonic when casting Musical abilities. Once you've reached 5 Harmonics, the next use of one of your healing musical ability is Amp-owered ! Amp-owering your abilities consumes all your Harmonics on cast.

-Drums of War : Base multi-target healing spell.

When cast outside of combat, lasts until you move, but won't heal more than the initial amount of healing.

-Serenade : Base single target healing spell. You dedicate a serenade to the target ally, healing them for a moderate amount.

-Toss a coin to your adventurer : (Talent) You can cast Serenade while moving. At the end of the fight, the enemies will loot one copper coin more to your party.

-Warcry : Grants healing over time and movement speed to you and your allies. Consumes 2 stacks of Harmonic.

-Warsong : Channeling ability who grants healing to your allies, as well as an armor bonus.

-Harp of Harmony : You take out your harp and start an enchanting melody. Channeling ability that fills your Harmonics.

When used out of combat, lasts until you start moving.

-Flute of Serenity : You take out a flute and start a peaceful melody. An AoE healing spell, that also grants healing over time. Consumes 3 stacks of Harmonic.

When used out of combat, lasts until you start moving, but won't heal more than the initial amount of healing.

-Pied Piper : Channeling ability that brings a swarm of rodents and vermin to attack and slow enemies in an AoE around you. Deals Nature damage. Can be cast while moving. Consumes 3 stacks of Harmonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    "Music" was never a part of the game in terms of having it affect the gameplay etc. Almost 2 decades later it just makes no sense. Thanks for the effort though, a quality post nonetheless.
    Warcraft 3 tied Aura abilities to Music. Kodoriders played drums that provided a Damage boost aura with an upgrade to the drums, and Instrument items provided Auras from different classes, like Warsong Battle Drums, Lionhorn of Stormwind and Alleria's Flute of Accuracy.

In WoW, Leatherworking can create Drums that provide the Bloodlust spell effect. Priests have Hymns, Monk has Song of Chiji.

Music might not be at the forefront of WoW, but neither is Technology or Dragon magic or Void magic, and we could have new classes made out of those any of those themes.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-08-30 at 01:46 AM.

From a gameplay perspective, I said. No mention of thematic.

- - - Updated - - -

Important part bolded.
    If we ignore magic damage types, they still have some unique stuff. Chain spells like chain heal and chain lightning are unique to the class, so is a persistent knockdown aoe with earthquake. Totems are also unique, serving as almost a turret "pet." Enhancement has maelstrom weapon, though I agree enhancement is a bit lacking atm. They should return to a focus on changing elemental weapon imbues, which have largely fallen to the wayside.

The thing is though, we have tons of NPC abilities that use sonic attacks but no playable representation for sonic. That alone justifies the bard, even without having a buff-bot focus.

If we ignore magic damage types, they still have some unique stuff. Chain spells like chain heal and chain lightning are unique to the class, so is a persistent knockdown aoe with earthquake. Totems are also unique, serving as almost a turret "pet." Enhancement has maelstrom weapon, though I agree enhancement is a bit lacking atm. They should return to a focus on changing elemental weapon imbues, which have largely fallen to the wayside.

The thing is though, we have tons of NPC abilities that use sonic attacks but no playable representation for sonic. That alone justifies the bard, even without having a buff-bot focus.
    Starting to see my point? There's no distinct, snappy way to talk about Shaman playstyles. You can reference certain mechanics, but what does that amount to? You can easily speak about Blood as a self-healing tank, or Demonology as summon-based damage... but what identity does a Shaman have? It used to be "offensive support," but that hasn't been true for the better part of two decades. And we've never been given an equitable identity to the one we lost.

A Bard would suffer the same crisis of identity, but by design and right out of the gate at that. All the thematics in the world won't make up for a class that simply has no design goal. It's not fun. Especially when you stack it against classes with very clear identities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    There's no melee arcane archetype in lore that i know of.
    Literally just mentioned in a previous post that this was one of the representations missing.

Holy spell dps would be the Discipline Priest or a 4th Paladin spec.
    Disc, despite it's more dps-lite presentation, is still a healing spec. So in order for it to be an actual
    DPS spec, they'd have to rework it in order to better fit that role.

4th spec is never going to happen, so let's not even bother bringing it up.

There's no melee fire archetype in lore that i know of except for Shamans.
    Enhancement Shamans have very little melee fire damage. They're still more Nature DMG
    oriented with some sprinkling of Frost and Fire thrown in. I believe a more dedicated
    Fire Melee class is needed.

Class additions are more than just missing magic school classes.
    Outside of archetypal classes based off of existing RPG games, in WoW's case, not really.

They are usually based on missing famous archetypes like the Death Knight, Monk and Demon Hunter.
    In terms of lore, yes. But with new lore, you get new "classes" or at least potential classes and specs. Now that all
    (for the most part) hero classes have been shown all that's left are just them coming up with new shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Literally just mentioned in a previous post that this was one of the representations missing.
    I know. But, you can't just invent one on the spot.
    On a second thought, perhaps the Spellbreaker is.

4th spec is never going to happen, so let's not even bother bringing it up.
    Why?

Enhancement Shamans have very little melee fire damage. They're still more Nature DMG
    oriented with some sprinkling of Frost and Fire thrown in. I believe a more dedicated
    Fire Melee class is needed.
    I believe they should just expand the melee fire aspect of the Shaman.

Outside of archetypal classes based off of existing RPG games, in WoW's case, not really.
    Yes, it is. Did Monks bring a melee version of a spell school?

Now that all (for the most part) hero classes have been shown all that's left are just them coming up with new shit.
    Huh?

Are you suggesting all classes have been accounted for?

Bards could actually be the holy ranged dps class. That would be way more interesting than another holy spec for priests or pallies.
    I thought about doing this as all, but instead went the arcane/nature route. From my concept, sound magic is an element and so therefore part of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    It's just more the whole set up that there's a whole cosmic and dire reason that why Bards must come together what doesn't sit well with me I think.
    I understand, however, I think they would need to do something drastic like that to explain why Bards… 1) are suddenly needed and 2) why they’ve been absent in the grand scheme of things.

I do think a more plausible Bard class would be the more Librarian/Storyteller concept than the musical based one. Deckard Cain in HotS is probably the most serious Bard-like character Blizzard has ever made, and unlike the standard Bard concept, I can see a class with Cain's abilities actually working within WoW's trinity system.
    You do recognize though that Lorewalkers do sing, right? Apparently, a singing spell is even listed as one of Lorewalker Cho’s abilities. That’s why I think using him as part of the wow Bard identity would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    The last thing we need is another melee spec for the 3 raid spot and permanent ranged favoring raid design. Turn their third spec into a tank.

Otherwise nice job but mehhhh idea, i don't see how it belongs in the WoW universe.

Also if they balance it around the supporting buffs then it will be a shitty dps/healer to compensate, see FFXIV where bard is a joke
    I feel like the next class should offer at least 2 ranged specs. So this Bard class would come AFTER whatever blizzard made as the next class. Unless, you make a bard concept that offers two ranged specs which is possible. A Bard tanking doesn’t feel right with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Oh god, i hope PI gets reworked and/or removed.
    I asked this question before but nobody answered. I don’t play retail anymore so I’m in the dark. Is Windfury Totem still a thing and as powerful for melee as it is in TBC: Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by damonskye View Post
    To the OP:

This is remarkable. Best fan-created class concept I have EVER seen. Blizzard should take notice.
    Thank you so much! Please also check out my Necromancer concept. It was recently bumped!

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    Op this is amazing. I hope you get someone at some game company to take note of your ideas.
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    While the OP has done a great job indeed
    Thank you!

Looking at the spells and imagining them work around every other class, one soon realizes this makes no sense whatsoever. Every spell is meaningful and overpowered. Choice is "what godmode will I be today".
    When developing concepts, I absolutely try to think of spells that are meaningful and also synergistic with the rest of the class’s toolkit. I also try and think of spells and mechanics that no other class offers. I think those elements get confused for as overpowered. All spells should be meaningful imo - perhaps you could point out what you felt was too overpowered? I’d love the feedback!

However, Bards don't belong in wow. "Music" was never a part of the game in terms of having it affect the gameplay etc. Almost 2 decades later it just makes no sense. Thanks for the effort though, a quality post nonetheless.
    But music and sonic abilities are found in game, and they’re an untapped mechanic that’s not heavily utilized by any class. How does that not warrant the Bard’s potential introduction?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Stuff like that.

Overall though I'm in love with the concept, especially the magician spec there's nothing in WoW that lets you play as a trickster and I would love to play as a trickster.
    I get what you’re saying about using lesser known lore figures for abilities. I had to think of figures to use for both factions. It felt fitting to use figures that were mostly considered “villains” but also had ties to either Alliance or Horde.

And thank you for the Magician spec appreciation! It’s one of my favorites too and the one I actually had the most fun developing!!

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Alright here is my take. I might move it to my own thread, if I ever am motivated to make a neat presentation, with icons and illustrations.
    This is definitely a campier version which I was afraid of doing but who knows, maybe this is more of what people want in a WoW Bard. I’d love to see a fully fleshed out concept from you and see how people react to it. The abilities, mechanics, and specs seem super fun. I may steal some if I ever develop talents! Haha. Your spell “Do it from behind” might be a little overboard though!

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    This is definitely a campier version which I was afraid of doing but who knows, maybe this is more of what people want in a WoW Bard. I’d love to see a fully fleshed out concept from you and see how people react to it. The abilities, mechanics, and specs seem super fun. I may steal some if I ever develop talents! Haha. Your spell “Do it from behind” might be a little overboard though!

I think you can find people to love both versions, really. The only thing I'd "reproach" is that it was too much tied to the very classical and expected interpretation of the Bard. I put mine completely as the opposite, pouring more Warcraft (as a studio) history into it.

But given that most of the old metalheads from the studio must be gone by now, your interpretation might be the most present on a brainstorming tableboard. The old tube like "Rogues do it from behind" or "I am Murloc" could very well just be cameo for names or features.

Congrats on your work anyways !

I get the feeling that the only way we'd ever get a Bard is if they fully embraced the "ETC" vision with all the camp and silliness that comes with it. From its inception, rock and humour have been woven into the very fabric of the franchise. A D&D Bard wouldn't feel like it belongs in WarCraft, nor would it feel like a D&D Bard since WoW doesn't have a support role. They'd need to take a page from HotS and just embrace that ETC spirit.