10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Aside terrible text formation, how exactly are people who are not vaccinated endangering your vaccinated ass?
    Because we can spread covid? You might want to read up. Vaccinated people spread covid as well.
    The only danger is to us who are not vaccinated. Because if you're afraid from covid while being vaccinated, then why the fuck are you getting vaccinated?
    The unvaccinated are the huge reason why ICU beds either completely full or only a couple are left open. This means less beds for vaccinated people who have other hospitalization needs that they couldnt avoid, like car crashes and surgery. Having them postpone their own care because the unvaccinated wanted to be selfiash assholes is immoral.

Then of course there is always the possibilioty that the virus can mutate in unvaccinated poeple in a way that it can avoid the vaccine response and as such put vaccinated people at risk.

Aside terrible text formation, how exactly are people who are not vaccinated endangering your vaccinated ass?
    Because we can spread covid? You might want to read up. Vaccinated people spread covid as well.
    The only danger is to us who are not vaccinated. Because if you're afraid from covid while being vaccinated, then why the fuck are you getting vaccinated?
    Why would anyone not get vaccination outside of medical issues preventing it? xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    yes... seriously... whether something is rural or urban isn't defined by political alignment...
    In this case, the fact that the counties are rural is irrelevant. The causal connection is based on ideology, not rurality.

Reporters just get less backlash by saying "rural counties" as opposed to saying "conservative counties".

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    yet you started blabbering about how marin county isn't rural because it's liberal lol...
    Because I assumed people would be smart enough to see that the article meant "conservative" when it said "rural".

I guess I was wrong.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

7+ Year Old Account
    How to let people know you don’t understand shit about what’s going on In just a few sentences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

yet you started blabbering about how marin county isn't rural because it's liberal lol...
    And in America, rural is associated with conservatives.

Marin County isn't very rural. It's also not very conservative.

- - - Updated - - -

How does this anti-vaxxer mentality manage to actually make it out of someone's mouth?

Vaccines limit those things...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Then of course there is always the possibilioty that the virus can mutate in unvaccinated poeple in a way that it can avoid the vaccine response and as such put vaccinated people at risk.
    To be fair: that can also happen in breakthrough cases of the vaccinated population.
    It is somewhat less likely, because the virus has a harder time gaining a foothold and is eliminated more rapidly but it's still possible.

The kicker is the ICU problematic you described though but that is only an issue because we treat everyone the same. Watch what would happen if anti-vaccine people (the ones w/o a legit medical reason) get a lower priority when it comes to treatment. Would be a clusterfuck. Never going to happen though.

10+ Year Old Account
    you bring political alignment into whether something is rural or not and then call people dumb when they call you out on it... lol...
    I hate to break it to you, but you can't "bring" ideological alignment into something that's already about ideological alignment, sorry.

I'm not sure why that concept is difficulty to grasp for you. Regardless, I don't think many other people are going to be as confused as you.

look in the mirror...
    Words you should take to heart.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Meh, I feel like this section is a bit misleading, as there's a direct implication that these paragraphs are connected.

(Narrator: They're not.)

First, Marin County is not rural, lol; it's quite literally one of the top 5 most liberal counties in the entire country, voting some 80+% Democrat. Hell, even Mendocino (which was hilariously a part of that Jefferson state proposal) votes 2:1 Democrat over Republican.

Second, the incident with the unvaccinated teacher was back in May, long before the vaccination mandate for teachers, which started this month. Heck, the vaccine was limited to ages 50+ until mid-April in California. The teacher in question was, however, unmasked against policy.
    I was not trying to link the two articles.

Thank you for the clarification on Marin County. I live in San Francisco, so I just take it for granted that people know about Marin County.

Yes, the incident occurred in May. However, the CDC report that the article was based on was not published until August 27.

Political orientation is definitely a factor in vaccine hesitation. The Northern and Central Valley counties are GOP stronghold in CA.

I am actually a bit disappointed that no one picked up on the study which indicates that the viral load of symptomatic breakthrough cases is 400 times that of asymptomatic breakthrough cases. 40 times that of the viral load difference between unvaccinated symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-08-30 at 08:26 PM.

Ok, I had to look up facts: http://www.city-data.com/county/Marin_County-CA.html 7% rural (compared to 45% in Mendocino), 70% white, high cost of living, 85% vote for Biden, majority religion is "None", population 258k, and 88% fully vaccinated of 12+, https://coronavirus.marinhhs.org/vaccine/data
    240 official deaths 0.09% of population

I believe I can picture it now.

Compare with some random county in Texas (obviously selecting based on rock-bands): Lamar county, TX:
    45% rural, 73% white, 13% black, 50k, Trump 78%, 30% fully vaccinated of 12+
    168 official deaths 0.3% of population - https://theparisnews.com/news/covid/

Quite a bit of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Ok, I had to look up facts: http://www.city-data.com/county/Marin_County-CA.html 7% rural (compared to 45% in Mendocino), 70% white, high cost of living, 85% vote for Biden, majority religion is "None", population 258k, and 88% fully vaccinated of 12+, https://coronavirus.marinhhs.org/vaccine/data
    240 official deaths 0.09% of population

I believe I can picture it now.

Compare with some random county in Texas (obviously selecting based on rock-bands): Lamar county, TX:
    45% rural, 73% white, 13% black, 50k, Trump 78%, 30% fully vaccinated of 12+
    168 official deaths 0.3% of population - https://theparisnews.com/news/covid/

Quite a bit of difference.
    You can add 88.6% of eligible population fully vaccinated. #1 in CA. Followed by Santa Clara and then San Francisco. NVM.

- - - Updated - - -

Bay Area children hospitalization update.

UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital in San Francisco reported two pediatric COVID-19 patients Wednesday while Benioff Children’s in Oakland is treating eight.

Of the eight Oakland patients, two are between the ages of 2 and 5, while six of the patients are between 11 and 17.

UCSF says three of the Oakland patients have underlying conditions in addition to COVID and all three are in the pediatric ICU on ventilator support.

In most of the overall pediatric cases at UCSF, the parents were not vaccinated and none of the teens were vaccinated either.

As for Kaiser, Sutter, John Muir, and Santa Clara Valley Medical Center hospitals, none are treating COVID patients under the age of 12.

- - - Updated - - -

Former CIA Officer Who Called COVID a 'Hoax' Dies From Virus

Robert David Steele, a former CIA officer who was vocal about his belief that COVID-19 was a hoax, has died of the virus. He was 69.

Streamer Mark Tassi announced Steele's death Sunday, saying recently, he "had gotten very sick."

Tassi called the death "suspicious" and suggested that powerful people put Steele on a ventilator to make Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis look bad.

How did we get to this?

- - - Updated - - -

Back to our regularly scheduled Florida programing.

In the last seven days, on average, the state has added 262 deaths and 21,301 cases each day, according to Herald calculations.

The average weekly daily death was 242 on 08/26.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-08-30 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    rural or urban isn't about ideological alignment at all...
    Except that, in the context of this article, it absolutely is.

You'll note that the article tagline wasn't: "California most rural counties are taking a beating. Covid is going through the population like a buzz saw. People live too far away from their local hospital to make it in time to save them from Covid."

No, it was: "California most rural counties are taking a beating. Covid is going through the population like a buzz saw. Doubt, mistrust and conspiracy theories are wreaking havoc on the medical staff and local officials trying to get the recent outbreak under control."

This is because they're not dying from COVID because the counties are rural, they're dying from COVID because of their ideology.

And rural ideology in the US is conservative ideology.

...yet you brought political alignment into it by saying marin county isn't rural because it's liberal...
    ...and yet the article clearly stated that this was a question of idoeology in those rural counties. I didn't "bring" that into the subject.

calling out you injecting political alignment into something where it's irrelevant isn't confusion lol...
    You think ideological alignment is irrelevant to COVID rates?

Lulz, okay. I see your game now. You're not confused, you're just wrong. You've just lost any and all credibility here, I think.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    you said the county isn't rural because they vote liberal...
    Hmm... except... no I didn't.

I said it wasn't rural. Then I said it was liberal. I never said that the one was because of the other. That's just you misreading the obvious.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

They're filling hospitals, meaning there's not bedspace for people who have medical emergencies that weren't totally avoidable by getting a damned vaccine.

They're breeding grounds for more variants, variants which the vaccines may be less effective against which sets is back to square one.

A lot of them likely can't cover their hospital bills, so when they default we'll be paying off their debts.

Bonus points for the last one because these are often the same folks who oppose single payer health care.

At considerably lower rates. Imagine if we didn't have unvaccinated folks giving the virus to vaccinated folks.

The only danger is to us who are not vaccinated.
    We're not even talking about the more indirect dangers like further disruption of the economy which can have deleterious effects on peoples lives outside of getting covid itself, so no, not really at all.

Because if you're afraid from covid while being vaccinated
    Fear of a deadly, highly contagious virus that appears to potentially cause lifelong side-effects ranging from neurological to lung damage, is a very reasonable, justifiable fear.

It's like mocking someone for being afraid of a bear despite wearing a suit of armor. Well yeah I'm still gonna be scared of the bear despite the steel surrounding me, it's a fuckin bear.

then why the fuck are you getting vaccinated?
    Because it affords protection against serious cases of the virus/death (not 100%, but quite a bit) and reduces our risk?

Is risk assessment something that like, people don't understand or do personally in their lives with anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    you did...
    First, Marin County is not rural, lol; it's quite literally one of the top 5 most liberal counties in the entire country, voting some 80+% Democrat.
    Except...
    I said it wasn't rural. Then I said it was liberal. I never said that the one was because of the other. That's just you misreading the obvious.
    Nowhere in that first quote do you see the word "because". That's because they're two different statements speaking towards the same point.

Marin County is not a rural county with a conservative ideology like the ones in the article because it's 1) not rural, and 2) is liberal.

This is obvious to everyone but you.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

except you did say it...
    You're the only one reading it that way, which means it's very much a "you" problem.

was workin reading festival 100,000 people if i dont get covid now im pretty sure im going to buy a lottery ticket

10+ Year Old Account
    do you need a quick lesson how semicolons are used?
    My grandmother seldom goes to bed this early; she's afraid she'll miss out on something.

The semicolon allows the writer to imply a relationship between nicely balanced ideas without actually stating that relationship. (Instead of saying because my grandmother is afraid she'll miss out on something, we have implied the because. Thus the reader is involved in the development of an idea—a clever, subliminal way of engaging the reader's attention.)
    No I don't; clearly you do.

In that specific example, the "because" might be implied; in my statement, you just inferred "because" incorrectly.

The truth is that a semicolon can replace any conjunction.

From grammarly:
    1. Semicolons Connect Related Independent Clauses

You can use a semicolon to join two closely related independent clauses. Let’s put that another way. The group of words that comes before the semicolon should form a complete sentence, the group of words that comes after the semicolon should form a complete sentence, and the two sentences should share a close, logical connection:
    • I ordered a cheeseburger for lunch; life’s too short for counting calories.
    • Money is the root of all evil; I don’t believe the reverse is necessarily true.
    • Martha has gone to the library; Andrew has gone to play soccer.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    nope... asked several people... they all read it that way...
    Your failure to understand Americanisms is not a failure on the American's part

10+ Year Old Account
    i've asked people from 6 different countries(sweden, norway, estonia, russia, finland and latvia)... they all read it that way... if americans can't type to be understood by people interntionally then maybe they should learn to lol...
    Or maybe people, regardless of their nationality, should choose to infer the conjunction that actually makes sense, rather than inferring the incorrect one and then attempting to blame their lack of contextual understanding on the writer.

In the grammarly examples:
    I ordered a cheeseburger for lunch; life’s too short for counting calories.
    The conjunction could be "and" or "because" but "because" makes more sense given the context.

Money is the root of all evil; I don’t believe the reverse is necessarily true.
    The conjunction could be "and" or "but"; "but" makes more sense.

Martha has gone to the library; Andrew has gone to play soccer.
    The conjunction could be "and" or "because"; "and" makes more sense.

Yet in the case of my statement, you chose to believe that the conjunction was "because", despite the fact that it would be absurd for someone to say that a county is not rural because it's liberal. This, despite the fact that the far, far more obviously correct inferral would be the "and" conjunction.

Context matters. You have nobody but yourself to blame for ignoring it.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils