Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Census: US sees unprecedented multiracial growth

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ct/5493043001/
    The United States experienced unprecedented multiracial population growth and a decline in the white population for the first time in the nation’s history, according to U.S. Census officials, who released data Thursday revealing the most sweeping picture of America’s racial and ethnic makeup in a decade.

“These changes reveal that the US population is much more multiracial, and more racially and ethnically diverse, than what we measured in the past,” said Nicholas Jones, the director of race, ethnicity, research and outreach for the Census Bureau's population division.

The white, non-Hispanic population, without another race, decreased by 8.6% since 2010, according to the new data from the 2020 census. The U.S. is now 57.8% white, 18.7% Hispanic, 12.4% Black and 6% Asian.

Some of those changes, Jones said, can be attributed to improvements to the survey. The white, non-Hispanic population is still the largest racial group in the U.S.

Nevertheless, the release bolstered expert predictions that the United States is becoming a more diverse nation, with continued expansion of the Hispanic, Black and Asian American populations and growing numbers of multiracial residents – only a fraction in past surveys.

“​​The diversity that we're seeing in this country is going to be much more pronounced,” said William Frey, senior fellow at the Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program.

In 2020, 33.8 million people reported being more than one race, more than a threefold increase from 2010, when 9 million people, or 2.9% of the population, identified that way. A fraction of residents reported being multiracial in 2000 (6.8 million, 2.4%), the first year respondents had the option.

At the national level, there was a 61.1% chance that two people chosen at random in a given area would be of different racial or ethnic groups. That same probability – called a diversity index by census officials – was 54.9 % in 2010.

The states with the highest diversity index scores in 2020 were in the west, with Hawaii at 76%, California with 69.7% and Nevada at 68.8%.

The results released Thursday present more comprehensive data on race and ancestry than in earlier surveys.

The 2020 Census used two separate questions to calculate race and ethnicity. One question focused on Hispanic or Latino origin. The other question focused specifically on race.

The questionnaire included write-in boxes for Black or African American respondents for the first time, allowing them to list whether they are Haitian or Jamaican or Somali, for example. The surveys included similar boxes for white residents, allowing them to write in Lebanese or Egyptian or Italian.

“The improvements and changes enable a more thorough and accurate depiction of how people self-identify, yielding a more accurate portrait of how people report their Hispanic origin and race within the context of a two-question format,” said Jones.
    /10char

Republicans need to cater to increasingly diverse demographic.

Everyone here in New York is “mixed”. It’s trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post

Yeah, I'm not too far away on the East Coast, I see plenty of mixed families with mixed kids.

It's going to be interesting in how it effects politics for sure...especially in a country's that been mostly divided between "white" and "black" with a sharp line...now it seems that line is (at least in the beginning stages of it) starting to fade...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post

The GOP has loudly rejected democracy by restricting the votes of more diverse districts.

Sorry, your wishcasting for the GOP to be more "trendy" is falling on deaf ears.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the United States of America is called a melting pot, after all.

7+ Year Old Account
    I view underpopulation as a problem so I think non-whites are being a bit more responsible on this topic. If everyone is mixed race with light brownish skin in the future that'll really boost productivity because then people will stop complaining about being oppressed based on that parameter. In the future they won't have to waste time debating about racial stuff.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-08-31 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    lol... get the fuck out of here with that shit... people will still be racist because people are the wrong (mix of) ethnicities...
    That's actually not too far off...even discrimination of people of the same mixture who come out looking a certain way...say, if someone who has an African-American and a European-American parent...they could have kids that come out looking different enough to perceived as different races: maybe one kid looks "too black" and is identified as "black" more...one being more "mixed looking/ethnically ambiguous" and one kid who ends up looking "too white" to be seen as being mixed or an ethnic minority.

Regardless...it'll be interesting how it effects US politics and society...

I mean aren’t Hispanic/Latino people multi-racial already unless they’re indigenous? And also a very large proportion of the ‘black’ community as well? Kinda funny and arbitrary when you think about it, like how different countries recognize and teach different numbers of oceans or continents. I’d argue at least some portion of that increase is due to an increased focus on race and societal pressure to be more precise about ethnic make-up in the last decade. Sad to think about.
    Last edited by D3thray; 2021-08-31 at 10:48 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    I mean aren’t Hispanic/Latino people multi-racial already unless they’re indigenous? And also a very large proportion of the ‘black’ community as well? Kinda funny and arbitrary when you think about it, like how different countries recognize and teach different numbers of oceans or continents. I’d argue at least some portion of that increase is due to an increased focus on race and societal pressure to be more precise about ethnic make-up in the last decade. Sad to think about.
    No.

It was ONLY 1967 when interracial marriage laws were declared unconstitutional.

When is America “suddenly focusing on race” when it’s done so it’s entire existence?

Why is this a problem when people are saying OK to be not white?

America: “our definition of whites are superior to everyone else”
    Almost 2 hundred years later: “no, not really”
    America: “Stop focusing on race!!!!!!!!”
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2021-08-31 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    No.

When is America “suddenly focusing on race” when it’s done so it’s entire existence?

none of these people remember the one drop rule which makes Barak Obama "black" even though he's half white.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    none of these people remember the one drop rule which makes Barak Obama "black" even though he's half white.
    These people? I’m just speaking from my own life experience. You two are the ones injecting whiteness into it which is precisely what I’m talking about and just reinforces my point. I’ve never been made to feel such an alien in my own country as in the past decade. But hey continue with your own default assumptions about people posting on the internet, don’t let me stop you.

These people? I’m just speaking from my own life experience. You two are the ones injecting whiteness into it which is precisely what I’m talking about and just reinforces my point. I’ve never been made to feel such an alien in my own country as in the past decade. But hey continue with your own default assumptions about people posting on the internet, don’t let me stop you.
    that just speaks to your sheltered upbringing where you think this is somehow new. no the only people "injecting whiteness" into the conversation are the same people who have been shitting their pants for decades now over things like scary immigrants coming in to change the make up of the country.

7+ Year Old Account
    “Only my experiences matter, everyone else can fuck off”
    Why do you feel like an alien? Is it because whites are no longer the “default” and you have to admit other people exist? This is why racism exists. You think other people exiting is a threat and alien.

Sick.

Stuff happened before your were born that affects people today. Learn. Stop being selfish.

Not to mention this thread is literally about racial makeup. Whining that “whiteness” is brought up shows a serious lack of thought and/or fake outrage.
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2021-08-31 at 04:37 PM.

The 40 finalists of the 2021 Regeneron Science Talent Search. Very multiracial. Without that multiracial x-factor, US technological development would have been screwed.

Even the ODR seems to be (very slowly) on its way out, as the number of people identifying as both "black and white" has increased by over 60% from 2010 to 2020.

Although it's likely that the phenotype people of that mix (which includes myself) are born with (to a degree) determine how they identify. With some people being born darker-skinned and more "black looking" like Obama or Jordan Peele, more "mixed looking" like Jeremy Meeks or Alicia Keys and more "white looking" like Cameron Boyce or Logic (the rapper).

But ultimately, I'm not sure the increase in multiracial people will change/effect this...

“Only my experiences matter, everyone else can fuck off”
    Why do you feel like an alien? Is it because whites are no longer the “default” and you have to admit other people exist? This is why racism exists. You think other people exiting is a threat and alien.

Sick.

Stuff happened before your were born that affects people today. Learn. Stop being selfish.

Not to mention this thread is literally about racial makeup. Whining that “whiteness” is brought up shows a serious lack of thought and/or fake outrage.
    You’re just digging a hole dude. Stop while you’re not too deep.

Old racists are dying off, and people don't care as much about the "traditions" their family wants them to keep. That, combined with continued shifting of demographics in the suburbs, and the results are coming to fruition.

This is a good thing. The social stigmas pushed by older generations can fuck right off.

Quote Originally Posted by ScipioMoroder View Post
    Even the ODR seems to be (very slowly) on its way out, as the number of people identifying as both "black and white" has increased by over 60% from 2010 to 2020.

Although it's likely that the phenotype people of that mix (which includes myself) are born with (to a degree) determine how they identify. With some people being born darker-skinned and more "black looking" like Obama or Jordan Peele, more "mixed looking" like Jeremy Meeks or Alicia Keys and more "white looking" like Cameron Boyce or Logic (the rapper).

But ultimately, I'm not sure the increase in multiracial people will change/effect this...
    Right, people are more aware of their mix of heritages or are more prone to report as such it seems.

You’re just digging a hole dude. Stop while you’re not too deep.
    Honestly, the same could be said of you given the below quote:

I’d argue at least some portion of that increase is due to an increased focus on race and societal pressure to be more precise about ethnic make-up in the last decade. Sad to think about.

that just speaks to your sheltered upbringing where you think this is somehow new. no the only people "injecting whiteness" into the conversation are the same people who have been shitting their pants for decades now over things like scary immigrants coming in to change the make up of the country.
    ‘Whiteness’ as a concept wasn’t even a thing when I was growing up. I know the culture has been shifting for awhile, but I don’t feel the need to verbally and loudly recognize the specific racial make up of people I interact with. It used to be considered rude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Honestly, the same could be said of you given the below quote:
    Ok this is just getting too painful to read. The assumptions ya’ll are making just because I said it’s sad to be so cognizant of racial make up.

I’m not white. You guys piss me off.