10+ Year Old Account
    Hey @Benggaul have you seen anything interesting coming out of Idaho?

Because the National Guard was just called to combat the COVID pandemic. Um...more of it, apparently.

We are dangerously close to activating statewide crisis standards of care – a historic step that means Idahoans in need of healthcare could receive a lesser standard of care or may be turned away altogether. In essence, someone would have to decide who can be treated and who cannot.

This affects all of us, not just patients with COVID-19.
    Yeah that whole "you have to wait for someone to die" is coming up again.

Unrelated: murderious insurrectionist Samuel Lazar ordered held in jail during his murderous insurrection trial. More accurately, his trial for assaulting a cop.

The judge said the evidence was overwhelming and Lazar has a criminal record. And he called for the execution of Democrats, Antifa, Five Guys cashiers, etc etc. Also, there's a difference between "broke into government building and wandered around with no idea what to do" and "broke into government building and attacked police who were trying to stop you".

When you fuck up so badly even Trump won't pretend to pay your court costs but not really, you know you done fucked up. I guess the Big Lie is "you get bail".

- - - Updated - - -

We've covered it before, it deserves repeating. The Miami Herald this time lays out the process by which Florida/DeSantis began outright lying about COVID deaths.

The dramatic difference is due to a small change in the fine print. Until three weeks ago, data collected by DOH and published on the CDC website counted deaths by the date they were recorded — a common method for producing daily stats used by most states. On Aug. 10, Florida switched its methodology and, along with just a handful of other states, began to tally new deaths by the date the person died.

If you chart deaths by Florida’s new method, based on date of death, it will generally appear — even during a spike like the present — that deaths are on a recent downslope. That’s because it takes time for deaths to be evaluated and death certificates processed. When those deaths finally are tallied, they are assigned to the actual date of death — creating a spike where there once existed a downslope and moving the downslope forward in time.
    And of course, this might possibly be defendable...if they hadn't swapped during their new record-breaking peak of deaths, which they're trying to lie about, despite overstuffed hospitals and morgues. The NYTimes COVID tracker is sticking with the original method, which is why they're saying Florida's 7-day death average is 263 while the CDC, using Florida's intentionally dishonest data, says 32.

As you can see, I've highlit August 10th, the day of the change, and by a complete coincidence (eyeroll) the day Florida deaths were about to pass Florida's already alarming record during the holidays. Then, while cases and hospitalizations continued to rise past Florida's old records, deaths magically vanished.

No, I won't drop this. Florida is lying as an excuse to kill more of its own people. There is no defense for their death total, that's of course the worse crime, but the coverup is also completely vile.

Fuck.

Florida.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the "Party of Law and Order" continues to prove themselves hypocrites in the land of Fuck Florida.

Florida Is Blocking Money From 2 School Districts Over Mask Mandates, Defying A Judge

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/10330...dates-desantis
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    And now for something completely different
    Oyus best reference ever.

Came to post this but you beat me to it.
    Art imitates life imitates art.
    This is DC:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    And the "Party of Law and Order" continues to prove themselves hypocrites in the land of Fuck Florida.

Florida Is Blocking Money From 2 School Districts Over Mask Mandates, Defying A Judge

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/10330...dates-desantis
    I hope the judge slaps them down hard. Even putting DeSantis in jail if they fucking have to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    I hope the judge slaps them down hard. Even putting DeSantis in jail if they fucking have to.
    I want this guy arrested:

What's unacceptable is the politicians who have raised their right hands and pledged, under oath, to uphold the Constitution but are not doing so. Simply said, elected officials cannot pick and choose what laws they want to follow
    That's DeSantis' head of education, saying that the school boards in question can't pick and choose which laws to follow, when he is cutting off paychecks in disregard of a judge's direct order on the subject. That's aggressive lack of self-awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I want this guy arrested:

That's DeSantis' head of education, saying that the school boards in question can't pick and choose which laws to follow, when he is cutting off paychecks in disregard of a judge's direct order on the subject. That's aggressive lack of self-awareness.
    I will take having all of them arrested that think that they can disregard a judge's orders.

I'm having what is known as "a day", so I have to make Tuesday's report a quickie.

156,002 new cases (a couple thousand fewer than last week); 1,232 deaths, bringing the total to 657,910. Nationally it's looking like we're leveling off, though the picture could easily change within the next few days. Some states are doing better than others, naturally. As @Breccia mentioned, Idaho's finding itself in a tough spot, reaching numbers they haven't had since the beginning of the year. Likewise most of the South is finding their healthcare facilities stretched to the limit. For weeks now we've been talking about hospitals across the South running out of space and that's not really been easing up much lately. South Dakota has the nation's worst positivity at 23%, California's has dropped to 5.7% and Florida's is still up there at 18.7%.

Most of the news I had lined up to link has already been covered by others, so all that remains is for me to say: Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I'm having what is known as "a day"
    Recover quickly. "stay safe" includes you.

Another Florida school district applies a mask mandate. Volusia is just outside Orlando and covers Daytona beach, so, not a huge surprise.

That, plus Disney and major cruise lines, suggest that DeSantis -- popular as he is in his home state -- is choosing the wrong hill to die on. His polling popularity w.r.t. COVID is the lowest topic, 46% on COVID and 44% on public schools, as in "worse than Afghanistan withdrawl Biden polling numbers". Ouch.

If DeSantis doesn't change course, well obviously a bunch of people will die. But also, his opponents will -- correctly -- bring up a list of all the people DeSantis' measures have killed, and hopefully, point out the inaccurate, fraudulent death numbers. There are demonstrably enough pissed off voters, including a growing number of mourning relatives, to kick him out of office if the narrative is COVID COVID think of the children COVID. And I can think of far worse single-issues to run on.

10+ Year Old Account
    SCOTUS effectively ended Roe in Texas today.

A win for Trump and posters who discouraged people for voting for Clinton. BEcause she was a "nasty woman", or because she was a woman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post

A win for Trump and posters who discouraged people for voting for Clinton. BEcause she was a "nasty woman", or because she was a woman.
    Like, seriously.

If you oppose abortion rights, your position is an attempt to subjugate women because you see them primarily as breeding pods, not people.

There is no other explanation. That's it. You may have different motives for that, like religion, or just really hating women, or, well, that's about it. But it still boils down to a desire to oppress and dehumanize women, 100% of the time.

The USA isn't just resisting entering the 21st Century with everyone else, it's actively trying to claw its way back to 19th Century social mores.

Even Roe v. Wade is a shitty, shitty case that dodges the question almost entirely, making it about privacy rather than just acknowledging that women have the same rights to bodily autonomy as men.
    Last edited by Endus; 2021-09-01 at 05:19 PM.

the thing is the SCOTUS doesn't have to rule one way or the other on Roe V wade. it's left that to the states, and well, that's number 34,671 why I'll never be caught dead, much less alive in the shit hole state of TexASS.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    the thing is the SCOTUS doesn't have to rule one way or the other on Roe V wade. it's left that to the states, and well, that's number 34,671 why I'll never be caught dead, much less alive in the shit hole state of TexASS.
    It won't be that bad ... I'm SURE that since Texas has pretty much outlawed abortion, they are going to step up their efforts to teach safe sex in schools instead of abstinence only!

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    It won't be that bad ... I'm SURE that since Texas has pretty much outlawed abortion, they are going to step up their efforts to teach safe sex in schools instead of abstinence only!
    Teen pregnancy by state 2021.

Here are the 10 states with the highest teen birth rate:

1. Arkansas (30 per 100k)
    2. Mississippi (29.1 per 100k)
    3. Louisiana (27.8 per 100k)
    4. Oklahoma (27.4 per 100k)
    5. Alabama (25.6 per 100k)
    6. West Virginia (25.2 per 100k)
    7. Kentucky (24.9 per 100k)
    8. New Mexico (24.4 per 100k)
    9. Texas (24 per 100k)
    10. Tennessee (23.7 per 100k)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I can see the pamphlets. PREMARITAL SEX MAKES BABY JESUS CRY!

When reached for comment, your Lord and Savior said "I don't know, I was too young, but I'd assume any sex would make a baby cry."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Here are the 10 states with the highest teen birth rate:
    Yep.

And I'm just going to state without evidence (because these states haven't earned the benefit of any doubt) that they make birth control difficult and offer abstinence-based sex ed.

Just kidding. AL and NM are, in fact, not abstinence-only states.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post

Correction: They ended Roe for POOR people. Rich people will still be able to get an abortion whenever they want in a state that respects women.

“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.”
    Anatole France

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yep.

And I'm just going to state without evidence
    Finally the truth from a liberal poster on this board. Next you'll tell the truth why every post about covid is here instead of the covid thread? nevermind, I know that isn't going to happen. You guys whine incessantly about the mods but they allow hundreds of off topic posts here, most by you and bengual. Not that it matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    The roe vs wade ruling was bad when it was made. It should have never been up to the supreme court in the first place. That is why most liberals say Republicans want abortion gone, scare tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Finally the truth from a liberal poster on this board. Next you'll tell the truth why every post about covid is here instead of the covid thread? nevermind, I know that isn't going to happen. You guys whine incessantly about the mods but they allow hundreds of off topic posts here, most by you and bengual. Not that it matters to you.
    Man, if you finished his post before dropping this you'd see that he did provide the exact evidence he jokingly said he wasn't going to. It usually helps to finish a post before having a knee-jerk reflex making it clear you didn't finish the post.

- - - Updated - - -

That is why most liberals say Republicans want abortion gone, scare tactics.
    I thought it was the constantly struck down restrictions on access to abortions in Republicans states? You know, and the many Republicans saying they wanted to ban abortions in all instances, even rape/incest?

No?

Yes?

Do you know?

That is why most liberals say Republicans want abortion gone, scare tactics.
    because they do? truth hurts?