Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Leveling was tediously long, running out of quests that gave exp before level cap requiring you to grind mobs, long ass attunement quests, 10-15, man dungeons, needing to travel to said dungeons, faction AHs in only 1 city per faction, weekly lockouts and only 2 pieces of loot per 40. All of these were to draw out subs.
    Notice how all of those things are actually gameplay elements, and distinctly not 6-month sub vanity items.

There's a very clear difference between:
    -designing the game to require time investment
    and
    -adding cheap vanity items tied to 6 month subs in order to artificially inflate MAUs

only 2 pieces of loot per 40
    how to spot someone who hasn't actually played vanilla
    Last edited by anon5123; 2021-09-01 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomer View Post
    "Come on guise, developing worse and more scummy business practices over the years and becoming a husk of your former beloved-self is business 101"
    It kinda is, actually. Not saying I approve, just prefer to call an apple an apple.

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Long thread here, sorry if this was already answered, but is it safe to assume that the Hearthstone stuff will be like the blue bird mount and any current 6-month subs will get it? I'm already on one and I'll be damned if I don't claim free crap I'm never going to use.

Quoting myself for this, in case there was anyone else wonder about this, the answer is yes current 6-month subs get all the new crap. It should be in your Hearthstone account by now, expect for the unreleased junk. Yes this should have been obvious, but with current Blizzard it's nice to have confirmation.
    Last edited by JSoup; 2021-09-01 at 03:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    To be fair, I don't get picasso paintings.
    The point of cubism is to convey different dimensions of the subject than you could with a realistic depiction. Instead of trying to create the illusion of depth, different facets or perspectives of the subject are arranged on the flat canvas in an abstract way. IE trying to depict a woman from the front and profile in the same image is not something that can be achieved with traditional perspective.

Ah the sweet smell of corporate desperation.

"How do we show we've changed?"

"Free packs?"

"Let's just give Valeera trousers."

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye i bet you said the same thing when Square handed out mounts through Twitch as well right? How dare a company give out free things!

Tho i forgot who i'm quoting. If Blizzard and Square did the exact same thing you would shit on Bliizard for it and applaud Square for it. Your hate-boner for Blizzard is just so damn impressive. Don't think i've seen anyone post so much about something they hate so much! Keep up the good work!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
    Are you saying that this mount makes you want to play the game more now than you did a week ago?
    So are they doing it for MAUs or not? What is the argument that you're trying to make?

And yeah, I'm gonna jump into HS for a few minutes to get the mount. And if the mode is fun I might keep playing it, but probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Notice how all of those things are actually gameplay elements, and distinctly not 6-month sub vanity items.

There's a very clear difference between:
    -designing the game to require time investment
    and
    -adding cheap vanity items tied to 6 month subs in order to artificially inflate MAUs

how to spot someone who hasn't actually played vanilla
    Doesn't matter it was needless stall to keep players playing longer. A cross promotion, where the other game is free and requires 10-15min play session to get a reward without spending any money is a better method. Frankly, the 6 month sub is a loyalty reward. It is not intended to draw in a lot of players, rather reward those that would sub anyways, which can be stopped and the reward taken away if somone regrets or doesn't want to play.

Oh a fucking typo 3 instead of 2. Of course there were blues and other non epic gear drops. When drops off bisses are discussed it always means the raid gear unless specifically mentioned. It was still ridiculous and an artificial way to prolong gameplay. They didn't need to drop 20 items or anything like that. That's just how MMOs are. They string you along. So, knowing upfront you are locking yourself in for a reward is far more honest than what I listed before.

Regardless, all this shit is typical business practices. Business need customers. Businesses need to attract customers. I bet you all have a problem with all forms of marketing as well. God forbid a business try to attract customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    So are they doing it for MAUs or not? What is the argument that you're trying to make?

And yeah, I'm gonna jump into HS for a few minutes to get the mount. And if the mode is fun I might keep playing it, but probably not.
    I play HS a ton, I'll end up getting the mount as I'm interested in this new mode. I probably won't ever use it. However there may be some that want it, never played HS and find a new game they enjoy. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the MAU dissing going on here. It's a far more accurate metric than sub count. There were plenty of times I was not playing but subbed so I counted. I would count during those times but under MAU, I wouldn't. But OMG a company is trying to generate activity for their products. The horror. Some of you people really need to go outside and experience reality. Because if you are only raging at Blizzard, you all are giant hypocrites since, again, this is standard business practices.
    Last edited by Beefhammer; 2021-09-01 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by |Dexter| View Post
    I don't see new card theme packs as new content... like I don't like card games.. this is just some game created to make more $$$$
    As is every game ever released. Like lol what.

You are a bad faith poster. It is totally disingenuous to claim the methods implored before weren't on the same level. Leveling was tediously long, running out of quests that gave exp before level cap requiring you to grind mobs, long ass attunement quests, 10-15, man dungeons, needing to travel to said dungeons, faction AHs in only 1 city per faction, weekly lockouts and only 2 pieces of loot per 40. All of these were to draw out subs. At least with the 6 month promo you get a mount.
    All the things you mentioned are gameplay, things you do in the game... in any game infact.

A 6 month promo mount isnt gameplay, the game doesnt even have gameplay that lasts 6 months... the mount gets old in a week if not less. And its only for traveling and theres zero traveling specific gameplay, its only a way to traverse the worlds... but where are you gonna traverse if theres no content to do?

The two ways to draw out subscriptions are not even remotely comparable. Addicting gameplay vs Timegated gameplay.

Theres a reason why retail WoW has so few players compared to old days, and its not because people grow up... theres always the next generation of gamers who begin playing WoW at a later date but the game isnt designed to keep them as well as good ol vanilla was. Timegating is not the answer, it only pisses people off.
    You know it, we all know it... thats why everyones arguing in MMOChamp comments rather than enjoying the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't matter it was needless stall to keep players playing longer. A cross promotion, where the other game is free and requires 10-15min play session to get a reward without spending any money is a better method. Frankly, the 6 month sub is a loyalty reward. It is not intended to draw in a lot of players, rather reward those that would sub anyways, which can be stopped and the reward taken away if somone regrets or doesn't want to play.

Oh a fucking typo 3 instead of 2. Of course there were blues and other non epic gear drops. When drops off bisses are discussed it always means the raid gear unless specifically mentioned. It was still ridiculous and an artificial way to prolong gameplay. They didn't need to drop 20 items or anything like that. That's just how MMOs are. They string you along. So, knowing upfront you are locking yourself in for a reward is far more honest than what I listed before.

Regardless, all this shit is typical business practices. Business need customers. Businesses need to attract customers. I bet you all have a problem with all forms of marketing as well. God forbid a business try to attract customers.
    It matters alot...
    And the sub mount is not a loyalty reward, its a pre-order reward.
    A loyalty reward is something you give players AFTER they have been subbed for a long period of time... not in advance.

Ive been subbed to WoW for an extremely long time and ive gained absolutely nothing as loyalty reward, NO mounts or anything... even the past subscription mounts i didnt receive because i didnt buy the specific longterm promotional subscription.
    So no they are not loyalty rewards, they are fancy items attached to specific longterm gametime purchases to get more money from people since it just so happens the gameplay became very shortlived right before they started adding these. People kept unsubbing after a month or two and that doesnt look good for shareholders.

So since gametime by itself isnt a good selling point anymore they have to add something else to incentivize longterm pre-purchase. And if you buy that it doesnt matter to them anymore if you play the game or not... they got your money already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    I totally do not agree.
    well, most trained economists disagree with you in regards to the wisdom of government financial stimulus checks intervention during a financial crisis like the recent pandemic but you're obviously have a better understanding of macroeconomics and are more highly educated and much smarter than all those so called experts so I have to agree your right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I just went through all the Mercenaries stuff they posted and... and... it's fucking RAID SHADOW LEGENDS. Only instead of using 3D models traversing little maps and fighting enemies, it's cards attacking other cards on a board. I... don't know what to think about this.
    I cant wait for all the streamers to plug raid while playing mercenaries. Be like inception.

I dont get why they didn't just release this as a standalone app though. Seems pointless to tie in to hs if you can't use your current collection and now people have to choose how to spend their already limited gold between two different games.
    Last edited by Inoculate; 2021-09-02 at 02:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensa1 View Post
    well, most trained economists disagree
    Yes.
    'Most economists' is always good source of to use in discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensa1 View Post
    in regards to the wisdom of government financial stimulus checks intervention during a financial crisis like the recent pandemic but you're obviously have a better understanding of macroeconomics and are more highly educated and much smarter than all those so called experts so I have to agree your right.
    I am not from NA so i have no knowledge about these stimulus checks and how exactly these work or who can get them.
    ... but i live in country that my recent goverment really like to give people 'free' money for various stuff.
    They basically 'buy votes' from poor people that do not want to work and living on social money is enough for them.
    And who do you think pay for this? Me and other hard working people in higher and higher taxes.

Forget about these checks since it was not even intention of my post.
    Why do you something like this will never work:
    "We got poor people in our country? Let's print more money and give everyone 1 mil!"

Inflation.

Of course it is totally hyperbolic example but as i kid i thought it was Nobel prize worthly idea.

The argument is adding a mount doesn't fix anything thats blatantly wrong with the game. It isn't going to make people who have quit, decide to play again. It isn't going to balance the game in any way. Its being used to manipulate people like you to login to other games, to boost their MAU number, which makes them look good while getting away with doing absolutely nothing. In the end, players still suffer. If they want more MAU numbers, its my belief they should just make a quality game that makes people want to login, rather than bait people with these gimmicks. Its similar to a bartender adding water to their alcohol so they can sell more of it. And also, to be counted as an MAU you only have to login one time, even for just 1 second so to answer your question; yes its for MAUs.

15+ Year Old Account
    The argument is adding a mount doesn't fix anything thats blatantly wrong with the game. It isn't going to make people who have quit, decide to play again. It isn't going to balance the game in any way. Its being used to manipulate people like you to login to other games, to boost their MAU number, which makes them look good while getting away with doing absolutely nothing. In the end, players still suffer. If they want more MAU numbers, its my belief they should just make a quality game that makes people want to login, rather than bait people with these gimmicks. Its similar to a bartender adding water to their alcohol so they can sell more of it. And also, to be counted as an MAU you only have to login one time, even for just 1 second so to answer your question; yes its for MAUs.
    That would be a fair argument if there weren't a slew of fixes already announced for 9.1.5.

Of course your argument there will probably be "they're only implementing fixes to increase MAUs" or "too little too late" or "they're just gonna do it again next expansion" so basically they can't to satisfy you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ihateyouall View Post
    Haha, people called this one.

Also, guess this means the next major patch (sorry, 9.1.5 ain't it), isn't going to be until March at the earliest.
    What? That's not what's happening here dude....
    They didn't add a new 6 month deal, they just added more to the current one. 9.1.5 is already on the ptr

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Uh oh....will new patches and expansions be replaced by new monthly store items ? Oh I wonder
    This isn't a store item my dude, please for the love of God read.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Long thread here, sorry if this was already answered, but is it safe to assume that the Hearthstone stuff will be like the blue bird mount and any current 6-month subs will get it? I'm already on one and I'll be damned if I don't claim free crap I'm never going to use.
    Seems no one replied to you so here.

The mount is not part of the 6 month deal, it's free if you play the upcoming new game mode in hearthstone.

The new thing being added to your 6 month sub on-top of the already existing sapphire phoniex and imp in a ball is a ton of hearthstone packs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    You are so clueless, in the early 2000's Blizzard didn't give a shit about money or how well their game actually made money. They just loved to make games and that made their games good back then.
    Yes they 100% cared about money, you fucking bonkers? They literally made the TCG, the biggest fucking money Grubb they have ever done.

Y'all fucking complain about store stuff now.
    Imagine back when they were releasing about 9 new store items a year
    And they were fucking lootboxes with no badluck protection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    Bobby needs another yacht...
    From a free mount?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Gotta love the white knights gaslighting people shitting on another cool looking mouth that u cant get ingame, but have to pay for.
    Imagine being this hilariously fucking wrong.
    You
    Don't
    Pay
    For
    It
    It's
    Fucking
    Freeeeeeeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

That would be a fair argument if there weren't a slew of fixes already announced for 9.1.5.

Of course your argument there will probably be "they're only implementing fixes to increase MAUs" or "too little too late" or "they're just gonna do it again next expansion" so basically they can't to satisfy you.
    Thats the problem. The fixes aren't coming because people have asked for them, they're only because people have quit. That is the threshold or their determining factor to make positive changes to the game. I'm not saying .5 changes are bad, because are definitely good, but they're literally a year too late. Just because they're being implemented, doesn't erase daily frustrations by hundreds of thousands of people. And to be honest, these changes are the simplest and easiest they could do which is even more frustrating because it definitely should've been done long ago. Its who Blizzard is now and thats how they operate. They don't care about players, they just want you logging in. I just see it for what it is and I'm not tolerant of it anymore. So of course thats my argument because thats exactly whats happening.

Next patch they'll remove the cap, of course, along with more QOL changes that they could absolutely put in this patch but wont. And the expansion is over and a new comes out, rinse and repeat. I should be satisfied at the start of an expansion not the end. I paid at the start and I paid every month to continue playing so why is it acceptable in your mind to have to wait until the end of an expansion for this stuff, especially when we asked in beta for it. And to be completely honest, these changes wouldn't even really affect me that much because my biggest complaints are with class design, specifically for pvp, which hasn't even been addressed at all.

And to top it all off they consistently add new store/mau promotions on a short timeline while doing absolutely nothing to help make the game better in between.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Did you have the same issues when they were attaching special mounts to a TCG in TBC and Wrath?
    TCG came out in vanilla btw just to point that out. It was at the end, but the riding turtle card, the first mount card, released in vanilla with 5 other rewards.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats the problem. The fixes aren't coming because people have asked for them, they're only because people have quit.
    Does that really matter? Fixes are fixes. It was always said that the way to send a message was with your wallet. Now that the message is sent and Blizzard is listening the goal posts are moved. Strange huh? Sounds more like having an axe to grind and not being able to move on.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Does that really matter?
    Yes it does matter. Absolutely.